PDA

View Full Version : Warren said yesterday he's 98.9% sure he will come back

ousooners182
3/29/2009, 10:06 AM
He said he wants to see how good is he without blake and he wants to help tmg come along next year he said.

yay

oumartin
3/29/2009, 11:50 AM
warren needs to come back and improve warren. He disappears in games and does some very silly things during the game.

but I'm glad he said that

E-Town
3/29/2009, 11:58 AM
I think Blake needs to come back and work on his free throws.

LRoss
3/29/2009, 12:05 PM
I'm no NBA draft pundit, but Warren doesn't look anything close to NBA ready to me. That's not a knock on him, he's done a great job as a Freshman and very well may be ready after another year, but he hasn't looked like Blake did last year when we all (most, anyway) were expecting him to go.

kevpks
3/29/2009, 01:11 PM
I think Blake needs to come back and work on his free throws.

Yes I think two years worth of work would do him good.

soonerfan28
3/29/2009, 01:15 PM
I don't even know why he would be considering it. His true position in the NBA is the point and he hasn't even played that at this level.

JLEW1818
3/29/2009, 01:33 PM
It will be his team next year too.

badger
3/29/2009, 02:54 PM
At times he seems too determined to not be labeled selfish to the point of being too unselfish - he should take more shots because that's what he's good at. Nobody will label you a ballhog, Willie (well, Aggy might, but eff them!). TAKE THE SHOT!

the_ouskull
3/29/2009, 07:00 PM
I'm no NBA draft pundit, but Warren doesn't look anything close to NBA ready to me.

You don't have to be a draft pundit. Willie is nowhere near NBA-ready. He can't handle, or run a team (ie - pass) well enough to play the 1 in the NBA, and he's not a good, or consistent enough outside shooter to play the 2. I also don't think that he's a good enough defender to guard either position, seeing as he's struggled at times this year to do so on the college level.

Blake benefited rather well by coming back another season. I think that, with a GOOD point guard (keep 'em crossed for Mason-Griffin being the opposite of Austin Johnson) Willie has a shot to make it HIS team... That could go a long way towards improving his draft stock...

the_ouskull

Cam
3/29/2009, 07:56 PM
Someone needs to slap that 1.1% into reality. He's nowhere close to NBA ready. He'd be a lottery pick on potential alone though, which will tempt him. He'll make himself more $$$ is he stays.

8timechamps
3/29/2009, 08:27 PM
At the start of the season, I saw a kid with raw talent that seemed to be coming into his own. There was a time that I thought WW was developing to the point that he could enter the draft if he so chose.

But, something happened about mid season. He almost became skiddish at one point. It appeared that his development slowed. And, it did.

Willie will play in the NBA someday, but at this point, he isn't ready.

I will say that he played more like the old Willie tonight. When he attempted to penetrate on the dribble drive, then kick-out. I hope we improves for next year...which, I am sure he will.

JLEW1818
3/30/2009, 02:02 AM
I dunno guys i hope he does... I've looked at about 20 different mock drafts, and most have him going in the top 10.........yikes

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/30/2009, 09:46 AM
I dunno guys i hope he does... I've looked at about 20 different mock drafts, and most have him going in the top 10.........yikes

I agree that he shouldn't go pro and I don't think he will but the NBA does draft on potential.

badger
3/30/2009, 10:13 AM
There were way too many kids that go to the NBA too early. I know it was once the popular thing to do, to get to the pros as fast as possible to make more money and get shoe deals and whatever, but when March Madness rolls around, it must hurt some of these guys who never had the chance to participate, like Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, etc. They have tons of money, they have NBA championship rings, but they'll never have March Madness.

There are far too many talented players out there in the entire world to go pro too early now. First round picks get guaranteed money, but a few years at the rookie scale will not last a lifetime.

ouleaf
3/30/2009, 11:34 AM
There were way too many kids that go to the NBA too early. I know it was once the popular thing to do, to get to the pros as fast as possible to make more money and get shoe deals and whatever, but when March Madness rolls around, it must hurt some of these guys who never had the chance to participate, like Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, etc. They have tons of money, they have NBA championship rings, but they'll never have March Madness.

There are far too many talented players out there in the entire world to go pro too early now. First round picks get guaranteed money, but a few years at the rookie scale will not last a lifetime.

To say that KG and Kobe are missing out on March Madness is a bit much wouldn't you say. Those guys, were legit pros coming out of HS, and didn't have much to gain by going to college. They've made millions upon millions, so I think it's safe to say they made the right choice.

As for your statment that guaranteed money on the rookie scale won't last a lifetime, I'd have to disagree. If you are smart with that money, you'd be more than set for life after your rookie contract is up.

soonerfan28
3/30/2009, 11:39 AM
I agree that he shouldn't go pro and I don't think he will but the NBA does draft on potential.

Look at DeAndre Jordan, but then again he's a 7 footer.

ouleaf
3/30/2009, 11:39 AM
I'm really hoping WW stays though...if he left now, sure he might be a 1st rd pick, but he'd more than likely be stuck at the bottom of some team's rotation.

In fairness to WW, I don't think we utilized his skill set properly this year. Hopefully Capel can re-tool the offense that allows him the chance to create his own shots more often, or if Capel can find a post guy with a reliable mid-range jumper WW could be absolutely devestating on the pick and roll.

I also think his shooting form needs work. It kind of seems like he shoots from his shoulder. It would help him a lot more if he could shoot from above his head. Anybody else notice this?

Scott D
3/30/2009, 11:52 AM
not to mention Kobe chose not to go, otherwise we'd have been talking about how dominant Kobe Bryant would have been for Duke.

Taxman71
3/30/2009, 01:32 PM
The ceiling is high for WW, but he isn't ready for the NBA yet. Still could go high based on his potential in a few years.

IMHO, his priorities for the offseason are:

1. Ball handling....esp. driving to the lane...too many TO's late in March.
2. Defense....rely on footwork more and cheap, reach-in fouls less. Showed improvement during the year, but he has the physical talent to be a defensive force.
3. Midrange Shot...we know he can shoot the 3 and drive, but hitting the midrange after shaking a defender would give him 5 extra shots per game (of course, this goes for every guard on our team).

badger
3/30/2009, 01:38 PM
To say that KG and Kobe are missing out on March Madness is a bit much wouldn't you say.

I'm questioning their decision now, in retrospect, because they missed out on this fantastic opportunity that so many other players have to be college students, to play with a bunch of guys their age and to experience the team-oriented fun of bracketology. It has nothing to do with them being NBA ready or not (because they were, as were other stars like Lebron).

My point is that they would have had millions upon millions regardless of whether they went straight to the NBA or went for a year or two of college first. Because they went straight to the NBA, they have a few more millions, but they will never have March Madness or the college experience.

It's like this - if you could have the same job that you have now but had the opportunity to forgo college and start it a few years sooner and start making money sooner, would you do it? You wouldn't have college loans to pay back, you'd have a few more years of paychecks, but you'd never have those nights of staying up till 3 a.m. on Friday/Saturday/Sunday begging Taco Bell to stay open just a little bit later in your drunkest voice. You'd never have met your college friends. You'd never have that chance to sit in the student section calling chanting "b***s***" at the refs.

Would you do it?

ouleaf
3/30/2009, 01:59 PM
I'm questioning their decision now, in retrospect, because they missed out on this fantastic opportunity that so many other players have to be college students, to play with a bunch of guys their age and to experience the team-oriented fun of bracketology. It has nothing to do with them being NBA ready or not (because they were, as were other stars like Lebron).

My point is that they would have had millions upon millions regardless of whether they went straight to the NBA or went for a year or two of college first. Because they went straight to the NBA, they have a few more millions, but they will never have March Madness or the college experience.

It's like this - if you could have the same job that you have now but had the opportunity to forgo college and start it a few years sooner and start making money sooner, would you do it? You wouldn't have college loans to pay back, you'd have a few more years of paychecks, but you'd never have those nights of staying up till 3 a.m. on Friday/Saturday/Sunday begging Taco Bell to stay open just a little bit later in your drunkest voice. You'd never have met your college friends. You'd never have that chance to sit in the student section calling chanting "b***s***" at the refs.

Would you do it?

That's not a very realistic comparision since I'm not in the unique situation of being a superstar athlete and they are. When you are that talented at the game of basketball, it's pretty much going to be your sole focus in life. Why risk/jeopardize how you plan on making a living by essentially wasting that time in college. By skipping college (yes i know they can't do it anymore), you're entire focus can be on basketball...No tests, no studying, or other school related distractions, just basketball.

What i'd rather do is irrelevant.

I'm sure if you ask those guys, would they like to join their fav. college team for an NCAA tourney run, I'm sure many of them would say yes. However if you ask them if any of them thought they made a mistake by skipping college, many of them would say no.

tommieharris91
3/30/2009, 02:04 PM
I get the feeling that if Willie left right now he would be the type of guy that is a projected top 10 pick that when he declares but falls into the 2nd round.

John Kochtoston
3/30/2009, 10:43 PM
I get the feeling that if Willie left right now he would be the type of guy that is a projected top 10 pick that when he declares but falls into the 2nd round.

THIS

One weekend in Chicago, AFTER THIS SEASON, would drop him out of the lottery and very possibly into the second round. Develop his handles, and a little consistency, he's a top-10 pick in 2010.