PDA

View Full Version : Scouting UNC: Can We Beat Em'?

OUSKINS
3/28/2009, 01:10 PM
First of all, last night was a thing of beauty. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd manhandle Cuse the way we did. Jonny Flynn did fly right by AJ on several occasions as expected, but we countered by closing out on their shooters and switching to the zone that kept Flynn at bay for much of the game. We were certainly aided by some stone cold shooting from the Orange-- especailly Devendorf the woman beater. But overall, our defensive intensity was exceptional-- Willie and Crocker were in people's faces and causing turnovers, etc.

Offensively, we did exactly what you are supposed to do against that zone, so major props to Capel for having the guys ready for it. Blake is just ridiculous-- it's funny to watch people bounce off of him and to watch opposing big men try to run the floor with him. A man amongst boys. But don't forget his brother either-- Taylor is playing the best ball of his career right now and he's picked a great time to do it.

Speaking of timing.....Crocker! I've never been happier for a kid. I have a bit of a soft spot for TC because he is the ONLY player that remains from the recruiting class that bolted on Capel when Sampson left. TC wasn't a major recruit and he was sort of thrust into the fray as a freshmen. Incredibly, assuming TC starts again next year, he will go down as a major rarity-- a 4 year starter. TC doesn't have the talent that most others starters do that remain in the Elite 8 right now, and he was in an awful awful slump for over a month, but he kept at it and had the game of his life last night-- I was thrilled for him.

When the brackets came out, I was hoping to avoid two teams prior to the Final Four: UNC and Louisville.

I think UNC is the most talented team in the country and it's been that way since the pre-season. They have NBA guys filtered throughout the roster and Hansbrough is a great leader and a go-to guy. I also think that he is on a bit of a mission to get his ring before he leaves.

UNC has had defensive problems all year--- we can score on them, but how do we stop them? They are rolling right now and scoring at will from both inside and outside. If the game is a shootout, I doubt we can keep up. But can we slow it down enough without turning it into a total halfcourt game, which isn't our strong suit either?

Here are the keys:

1. Blake must clearly outplay Psycho T. It can't be a wash and Hansbrough certainly can't get the best of him. We know Blake is the best player out there, but he needs to be the best player on the floor tomorrow.

2. Can't let Ty Lawson toast us. This scares me big time; again a tough match-up for AJ. Not sure how we'll keep Lawson out of the paint and/or from creating good looks for his teammates.

3. Get off to a good start. UNC will be a hard time to comeback against because they score so frequently. Keep it close and the game slowly will begin to bog down.

4. A little luck: We need a few bounces to go our way.

Bottom Line:

I think we hang tough, but lose by about 6-10 in the end. I just don't think we'll be able to stop their perimiter players. But I DO think we have a legit chance and I wouldn't be shocked if we won. And even if we lose, a 30 win season and an Elite 8 banner is a good accomplishment-- we can be proud of this OU team either way, but yeah, a trip to Detroit would be sweet!

meoveryouxinfinity
3/28/2009, 01:24 PM
We need out rebound them. This means they're not making their shots and we're taking second shots.

Everyone has stepped their game up a notch, including Blake. With our boys playing this well, the talent level at UNC becomes a wash.

We must fight fire with fire. If they're banking tres, we gotta make our shots behind the arch. This might seem kinda simple, but we cannot let UNC build up a big lead and tear our spirits down. I am kind of optimistic, however, because a game like last night is precisely what we needed to catapult us into the final four.

Socrefbek
3/28/2009, 02:12 PM
There is not a chance we can beat UNC. Even if we were as talented, the refs would intervene. Unfortunately, we will not even be able to consistently get the ball past half court. Blake will not get a chance to make an impact. UNC will be too busy creating turnovers from Johnson, Crocker and Warren and converting to layups and dunks. OU will simply not be able to compete.

OU WILL NOT COMPETE! :gary:

BoulderSooner79
3/28/2009, 02:18 PM
I don't like our chances. The 'cuse game was great, but it did expose our lack of depth. We had almost no bench scoring during the heart of the contest. NC will come at us in waves and will specifically try to get Blake in foul trouble. I'm also concerned how the refs might, ahem, "lean". I'd be more concerned about that if we were playing Duke, but if the game is closely called, another advantage to NC. But who knows, the refs let the kids play last night and NC is not invincible. Capel will not be intimidated by NC having played at Duke.

SoonerObsession
3/28/2009, 02:20 PM
There is not a chance we can beat UNC. Even if we were as talented, the refs would intervene. Unfortunately, we will not even be able to consistently get the ball past half court. Blake will not get a chance to make an impact. UNC will be too busy creating turnovers from Johnson, Crocker and Warren and converting to layups and dunks. OU will simply not be able to compete.

OU WILL NOT COMPETE! :gary:

The refs will intervene? Are you saying they have been unfair to us so far? I think the refs have been great all tournament long. The Big 12 officiating was way more unkind to us than what I've seen to this point in the tourney. Aside from the 10 seconds call last night (that was actually 8), I can't remember a really bad call.

soonerfan28
3/28/2009, 03:11 PM
I think the game is 50/50. They have way more quality depth then we do, but we are playing at a very high level right now and I would be shocked if they beat us by more then 10 points. The Griffins will keep us in this game until the end.

wishbonesooner
3/28/2009, 03:13 PM
Blake caan't get too aggressive against TH. Blake getting into foul trouble is whay UNC will work for.

OU_Sooners75
3/28/2009, 03:24 PM
We can beat them...How?

Step on Lawson's right foot! Don't make it obvious, but just enough to injure the kid for the rest of the game...or at least hinder him.

I keed....We are playing great. We match up pretty well at all positions excpet for point. I can see us playing a lot of zone to counter Lawson.

soonerfan28
3/28/2009, 03:29 PM
If we go man I think will see more of Taylor on Hansbrough and they'll have another big that Blake will be on.

meoveryouxinfinity
3/28/2009, 04:25 PM
I DEFINITELY think we are VERY capable of beating UNC. The more and more I think about it, I believe this is a good match up for us. Tyler Hansbrough is a punk and is not even in the same realm as Blake. Watch ESPN, etc, and they will all tell you Hansbrough has the edge over Blake because his "experience."
If our perimeter shooting looks half as good as it did yesterday, we win.

jthomasou78
3/28/2009, 04:48 PM
If anyone here attended the game last night how many more UNC fans were then Oklahoma or neutral fans? Are we going to be seriously outnumbered tomorrow?

soonervegas
3/28/2009, 08:59 PM
Yes. Get ready to see a trapping zone 60-75 percent of the game by OU.

Readyfor8
3/28/2009, 09:28 PM
I think we can beat UNC, good read OUSKINS.

There are two good reasons why we can beat UNC.

1) The defense that the Tarheels play isn't that strong, they play defense like an NBA team does, and that isn't a compliment. Conversely they don't respond to strong defense of the the passing lanes. We have the length to guard the lanes and give moderate ball defense and the Heels are in trouble.

2) The ACC as a conference hasn't looked particularly strong. If you look at the tournament alone the ACC has vastly underperformed this year. I'm not a big believer in as your conference goes, so goes your postseason, but the truth is the level of competition if we look at the postseason would be considered even in my book and as such, I think the teams records are pretty even too.

A few things that bother me.

1) Ball distribution, they tend to pass the ball a lot and get consistent offensive performance out of their team. If we can't control ball distribution, and shut down the passing lanes, they will get 80 points.

2) I worry that the reason the defensive stats are skewed so badly against UNC is because they have had no real competition all season, and they only play defense when cornered/forced to by an opponent.

3) Supporting cast, it is about time for Austin to have another breakaway game. Can Crocker keep up his performance from last night? Can someone step up and have a 25 point game along side of Griffin? Taylor is going to get his, and Blake is going to get his, but which guard will get hot and help us with a couple clutch shots?

In the end I think we prevail but the game will be closer than what the final will end up as 87-77 OU.

soonervegas
3/29/2009, 09:53 AM
If anyone here attended the game last night how many more UNC fans were then Oklahoma or neutral fans? Are we going to be seriously outnumbered tomorrow?

Although we have a really good number of fans down here....it will be 10 to 1 game time.

MojoRisen
3/29/2009, 12:21 PM
OK, I really believe the up and down style of UNC is going to break Willie Warren out for 25+ points... If we can get 15 out of Croker and Johnson look out! This is willie warren time trust me..!

This will be a tight game but a fun game to watch! BOOOOOOMER !!

SoonerFanInAustin
3/29/2009, 12:49 PM
We will have to play our best game of the yr.....As already mentioned, AJ has to step up today, like TC did on Friday. We also need Patillo to show up. We are going to need some help rebounding. If we win, it willl by less than 5. I wouldn't be surprised if we get beat by 20. Win or Lose we have had a great season.

I will be pumped for the game....I just want them to show up.....I know it is his personality, but it sure ticks me off at times how AJ shows no emotion at times.....He just has to prevent Lawson more times than not of driving the lane.