PDA

View Full Version : Is Blake the next evolution of basketball players?

IronHorseSooner
3/28/2009, 10:03 AM
In every sport, from time to time, there are players that signify a new era and style of player. In football, it was Jim Brown. In basketball, it was Magic. Is Blake that next guy? A big guy who can run the floor, who is stronger, faster, and more powerful. Some who is impossible to guard, even in double and sometimes triple teams. Your thoughts....

CatfishSooner
3/28/2009, 10:18 AM
I don't think there will be a lot more BG's...

oumartin
3/28/2009, 10:26 AM
Don't get carried away

royalfan5
3/28/2009, 10:32 AM
In every sport, from time to time, there are players that signify a new era and style of player. In football, it was Jim Brown. In basketball, it was Magic. Is Blake that next guy? A big guy who can run the floor, who is stronger, faster, and more powerful. Some who is impossible to guard, even in double and sometimes triple teams. Your thoughts....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Malone

King Crimson
3/28/2009, 10:34 AM
Kevin Garnett. if you want a theory of paradigm shifts.

Eielson
3/28/2009, 10:34 AM
He would be, but it's like saying there will be a lot more Shaqs. Players like this just come around that often. I think everybody has always wanted big men like this. They just don't get them.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2009, 11:03 AM
No....He is a great player but his game is nothing new..

tulsaoilerfan
3/28/2009, 11:05 AM
Temper the enthusiasm a bit; Blake is a GREAT player, but you have to remember that he's going against guys most of the time that are not as big nor as athletic as he is; i hope he's an All Star for 20 years in the NBA, but i am curious how he will do against guys that are bigger than him every night

badger
3/28/2009, 11:09 AM
They temporarily banned the dunk because of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I could see them banning stuff because Blake seems to get hurt every game :D

IronHorseSooner
3/28/2009, 11:18 AM
I only say this due to the style in which he plays. I understand that there may not be another to come along like him, but he's one of those guys who is a game changer- somebody that opposing teams have no answer to stopping. We have all seen him shred double teams all year. In college ball, we have seen guys like Thabeet (see Mutombo), Blair (see Barkley), or Hansborough (see Laettner), but not something like Blake. What I mean is that he's one of those guys that coaches are going to look to get their own version of, but may never find. Since Magic, everybody wants that oversized PG (see Hardaway, even Tyreke Evans). I am definitely not saying he's in the category of a Magic, Shaq, Jordan, Olajuwon, Bird, or LeBron. We will have to see. Even guys who follow the game and are more knowledgeable than any of us here have a hard time describing what he does- other than the occasional- OMG!...This match up against Hansborough is what Blake has wanted all year. I think he has something special in mind just for Psycho-T!

yermom
3/28/2009, 11:18 AM
maybe if he was the next evolution of humans too ;)

IGotNoTiming
3/28/2009, 11:25 AM
*see Lebron James....

That is as high as the bar gets set right now... big guy runs the floor, can make free throws, can dominate on any given night..... and is nearly impossible to defend one-on-one.

hawaii 5-0
3/28/2009, 11:29 AM
Blake still needs to master an outside game and get a good shot beyond 15 feet. Despite all his greatness there's still room for improvement.

:cool: 5-0

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2009, 11:49 AM
They temporarily banned the dunk because of Lew Alcindor.

His mama call him Lew, I'ma call him Lew.

bluedogok
3/28/2009, 01:26 PM
They temporarily banned the dunk because of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
The goaltending and widening of the lane rules came into effect because of Bill Russell.

Sooner04
3/28/2009, 02:00 PM
Amare Stoudemire without the oversized ego.

Oh, and Moses Malone hit 77% of his free throws. I've seen Moses Malone, and Blake is no Moses Malone!

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2009, 02:04 PM
And Boozer's guns.

Curly Bill
3/28/2009, 02:05 PM
I'm going with Blake being a combo of Larry Nance & Karl Malone.

Nance's big man athleticism & Malone's power.

okienole3
3/28/2009, 02:16 PM
Lebron is the name you are looking for.

Eielson
3/28/2009, 02:28 PM
The goaltending and widening of the lane rules came into effect because of Bill Russell.

That wasn't Wilt?

yermom
3/28/2009, 02:32 PM
i don't see how that is the next evolution

what team wouldn't want a Lebron or Blake? the only thing special about playing those guys as a coach is getting to play those guys

would they not have played with Lou or MJ?

the_ouskull
3/28/2009, 03:03 PM
And Boozer's guns.

What is it about crazy Alaskans and their guns...?

http://thebruceblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/palin-with-gun.jpg

the_ouskull

Sooner04
3/28/2009, 03:05 PM
Goaltending came about because of Oklahoma A&M's Bob Kurland.

The lane was widened because of Wilt Chamberlain.

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2009, 03:41 PM
Wilt's also responsible for the rule that the shooter has to remain on the line until the ball hit the rim. He used to just run after his shots and rebound his misses.