PDA

View Full Version : The tax time blues...

Okla-homey
3/27/2009, 06:57 PM
Yes, its about time again for writing a big check to Uncle Sugar.

Still, its better than getting a refund I reckon. In the sense that I didn't loan the gubmint any money on which they pay no interest.

I sure wish I was rich enough not to pay any taxes like the Kennedys and that ilk. Oh well.

LilSooner
3/27/2009, 07:07 PM
Wah! Quit your bitching. Just think of all the poor people you are helping to feed and clothe. :)

Jerk
3/27/2009, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't be withholding right now any more than the bare minimum.

I bet 50-50 that they will be issuing IOU's to people next year who are owed a refund.

walkoffsooner
3/27/2009, 07:11 PM
Yea; my neighbor is out cutting firewood right now waiting on his disabilty check.

LilSooner
3/27/2009, 07:16 PM
I have a feeling I'm going to get screwed next year with the new tax codes. I get a pretty good check back every year because of business expenses and of all my miles. Oh well.

Okla-homey
3/27/2009, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't be withholding right now any more than the bare minimum.

I bet 50-50 that they will be issuing IOU's to people next year who are owed a refund.

The cool part is, you have up to 120 days (4 mos.) to pay anything you owe, so in truth, you get up to 16 mos. use of your money before you finally have to pony up. In truth, that's prolly what we're gonna do. I can't see the sense in paying a dime before I have to given the gubmint is gonna blow it on pork and rubbers.;)

Jerk
3/27/2009, 07:22 PM
Reminds me I need to talk to an accountant about Obama's 13 dollar a week tax cut.

I can't tell if it's a change in the rate or a mere change in withholding. I heard it was just a change in withholding.

Jerk
3/27/2009, 07:23 PM
Oh, and I ain't making it up about the IOU's

http://market-ticker.denninger.net/archives/899-Bond-Market-To-Bernanke-and-Obama-Fk-You.html

yermom
3/27/2009, 07:38 PM
worked for California...

the stimulus payments last year were just advances on our tax refunds too, right?

i'm hoping i don't owe next year. i'm not sure i trust many investments that would amount to much anyway

Okla-homey
3/27/2009, 07:49 PM
worked for California...

the stimulus payments last year were just advances on our tax refunds too, right?

i'm hoping i don't owe next year. i'm not sure i trust many investments that would amount to much anyway

State of Oklahoma hospital construction bonds. Thirty cents nets a buck return, and the dividend is tax-free.

yermom
3/27/2009, 08:01 PM
how long does it take to mature?

C&CDean
3/27/2009, 08:49 PM
$22K from the feds, $6K from the state.

Y'all really should consider a farm.

LilSooner
3/27/2009, 08:56 PM
I thought my 9 k was bad. Good job Dean.

C&CDean
3/27/2009, 09:05 PM
$9K rocks for a city girl:P

olevetonahill
3/27/2009, 09:11 PM
I thank all of Yall fer supporting me :D :P

LilSooner
3/27/2009, 09:30 PM
$9K rocks for a city girl:P

Heh. Thanks I guess. It was mostly but not all in part due to the 19k in deductions just for my MILEAGE! Which still just blows my mind. I always laugh I can't wait till we get audited because not only do I have ridiculous mileage (which I religiously document)but I have a home office, and I'm sure a bunch of other red flags. I can't wait to drag the IRS guy on a 14 hour tour of my hospitals with me.

sooneron
3/27/2009, 09:31 PM
How much are you money bags not getting back? We're getting almost 12k. You need better accountants.

LilSooner
3/27/2009, 09:32 PM
How much are you money bags not getting back? We're getting almost 12k. You need better accountants.

That's what we got back last year. So I adjusted our with holdings to what I thought would just get us to the break even mark. Apparently not.

sooneron
3/27/2009, 09:37 PM
That's what we got back last year. So I adjusted our with holdings to what I thought would just get us to the break even mark. Apparently not.

Yeah, that's always a crap shoot trying that. Once I was told that if my earnings didn't exceed 90K, I could claim 3 or 4 dependents on the W4. That didn't work out so well for me.