PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to beat Syracuse?

8timechamps
3/26/2009, 05:39 PM
Are we going to need Blake to keep us alive, or can we put up a team effort, and depend on our gaurds to keep Syracuse on the perimeter?

I think the key to this game isn't Blake. He'll get his numbers, and it'll be another physical pounding in the paint. It's all about gaurd play. How we defend theirs, and whether or not ours can score.

I also think this game (and anymore from here) is going to test our bench. I hope the minutes that Chupacabra, Wright and Davis have seen will payoff. We know Syracuse can go to their bench for scoring, I hope we can go to ours for defense.

soonerfan28
3/26/2009, 06:12 PM
Us getting off of the bus.;)

JLEW1818
3/26/2009, 07:27 PM
OUr guards have to make shots.

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2009, 07:36 PM
Break on made and missed shots. OU is faster than Syracuse is and this will keep them from setting up their defense.

Pass the ball crisply. Syracuse is really really good at getting hands into the passing lanes.

Hit the open jumpers in the zone. The FT line is open against the 2-3. Work the ball to someone at the FT line, make them respect the shot, and when they start bringing someone off the baseline to guard it get Blake the ball.

Overload. Keep Blake, Taylor, AJ, and Crocker on the same side of the floor. If 'Cuse plays the overload, let Willie drive one-on-one.

ouwapiti
3/26/2009, 08:41 PM
what will it take????.....the best game sooners have played all year....the pressure is now officially 'on'

the_ouskull
3/26/2009, 09:28 PM
The "H" is "O."

What do I think it will take? I think it will take the following:

- OU's guards to shoot at LEAST twice as well as they have been lately.
- OU's guards to get to the free throw line at least twice as much as they have been lately.
- OU's guards to play solid defense on the perimeter, hedging on posts to help protect Blake from foul trouble; but also closing out hard and fast and not allowing open looks, especially from the arc.
- OU's guards to take care of the basketball.
- OU's guards to hit open looks, from wherever they come.
- Blake.
- Lee Corso to pick OU.

the_ouskull

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/26/2009, 10:36 PM
Syracuse is capable of beating us but lets not pretend we are the underdogs in the game. I really doubt we will have to play lights out but we will have to play well.

8timechamps
3/27/2009, 01:42 AM
Syracuse is capable of beating us but lets not pretend we are the underdogs in the game. I really doubt we will have to play lights out but we will have to play well.

I agree with that. If we play like we played against Michigan, or at least like we played in the second half, plus some offensive production from Tony, we will win this one.

I really think this team is remembering it's mojo. Which, is just in time.

CUSEPOWA
3/27/2009, 03:42 AM
LOL- you do see what the Big East is doing to the rest of the country right-

You guys are next....Welcome to the Big East Invitational that is The Final Four.

Syracuse 79
Oklahoma 70

Nice season but you guys are not peaking right now and we are...you are 4-4 in your last 8 against nobody- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmgIPGy0zOE

This will be Griffen's fate early in the game to set the tone...6' Flynn

Socrefbek
3/27/2009, 06:57 AM
Cusepowa is correct. OU has no shot against the 'Cuse. NO SHOT!

Heck, I am not sure if Kareem, Magic, Bird, Malone and Jordan could hang with Syracuse. They are from the mighty Big East and we all know that Big East BB is the Equivalent of S.E.C. Football.

UNSTOPPABLE!!!! :X

soonerfan28
3/27/2009, 08:30 AM
Syrapuke is gonna get hammered tonight. Devendork is a turnover machine.

Mudskipper
3/27/2009, 08:45 AM
Cusepowa, you do realize that was rutgers right? And you better hope your prediction doesent happen the other way around. I dont think flynn gets up off the floor if blake does that to him. Which is more likely to happen

IronHorseSooner
3/27/2009, 09:35 AM

We'll hammer him, and then he will get hammered at the Acropolis when he gets back to Syracuse (that's a bad SU joke. It is their version of O'Connell's)

ouleaf
3/27/2009, 09:47 AM
We need to stay out of foul trouble, keep the turnover count low, defend the perimeter well, and take advantage of as many transition buckets as possible to stop them from setting up their D. Also someone is gonna have to step up on the scoring end besides Blake. If Blake gets about 25+, someone else has to step up with around 18 or so. That leaves the rest of the team to come up with the remaining 25 points or so I think we'll need to win.

Final score, OU 68 - 59

CuseFan
3/27/2009, 09:55 AM

DevendorF's turnovers in last 10 games numpty. If that's all you have to bank on for a win, I feel bad for ya .....

Arizona St: 1 turnover in 40 minutes

SF Austin: 6 turnovers in 39 minutes

Louisville: 2 turnovers in 37 minutes

West Virginia: 2 turnovers in 43 minutes

Connecticut: 1 turnover in 61 minutes

Seton Hall: 2 turnovers in 35 minutes

Marquette: 3 turnovers in 43 minutes

Rutgers: 1 turnover in 20 minutes

Cincinatti: 1 turnover in 37 minutes

St. John's: 1 turnover in 37 minutes

CuseFan
3/27/2009, 10:01 AM
Blake Griffin's turnovers in HIS last 10......

Michigan: 3

Morgan State:3

Oklahoma St: 5

Oklahoma St: 4

Missouri: 6 (hmmm, Missouri is a good team, and OU got crushed in this game. See a pattern here?) No chance tonight.

Texas Tech: 4

Texas: 2

Texas Tech: 5

Baylor: 1

Colorado: 6

CuseFan
3/27/2009, 10:04 AM
total turnovers in last 10: Blake Griffin 39, Eric Devendorf 20.

Syracuse record in last 8... 7-1. Oklahoma record in last 8: 4-4. I think I'm going with the hot team with the all around balance and much better all around players, Syracuse.

theresonly1OU
3/27/2009, 10:13 AM
I say we keep letting Griffin run at Devendorf.

Eventually he will get mad, try to slap someone, and get himself ejected.

Besides, the only one I'm scared of is Flynn; Onaku is outclassed in the post, and Devendorf turns over more balls than Elton John.

My only question is whether or not you will be yet another group of bitchy fans who blame your @$$-whipping on the refs, or if you will give credit where credit is due when it is all said and done and you are on the red-eye back to upstate NY.

soonervegas
3/27/2009, 10:17 AM
Just make sure your pasty white *** wears your melo jersey tonight so we can see your pathetic guns and even more pathetic tatoos. Thanks.

CuseFan
3/27/2009, 10:30 AM
I know, I know, nothing constructive to say other than fictitious stuff about Devendorf. Stuff like nocturnal emissions, and feces, and what not. Doesn't surprise me, I mean you people are from Oklahoma. Great basketball territory :P

CuseFan
3/27/2009, 10:37 AM
Just make sure your pasty white *** wears your melo jersey tonight so we can see your pathetic guns and even more pathetic tatoos. Thanks.

Since when did mid-western people sport a Mediterranean tan? By the way it's tattoos, chief.

"oklahomo last 8, 4-4, Syracuse, 7-1":texan:

Hotrod3157
3/27/2009, 10:53 AM
Syracuse is capable of beating OU but I don't believe it's one of those games where OU is in danger of being exposed. Syracuse does not pressure full court and are just content to sit back in their zone. A team like Louisville who pressures full court would have the potential of exposing OU's guards like last year in the tourney. For us to beat them will have to take good 3 point shots and don't fall into the trap of just sitting outside and shooting 3's all game long. Attack the middle and free throw line in the zone. Hopefully Taylor can come out and hit a couple of free throw line jumpers early. Get defensive rebounds and push the ball up the court to not let them get the zone set up. Be sure to move the ball on offense so Syracuse will have to move and adjust on defense. Should be a good game but one OU can win and its nice to at least know we will have the best player on the court on our side.

CuseFan
3/27/2009, 10:57 AM
Reality... Syracuse has the best point guard in the country. You don't. You have a freshman running the point. He is far from Derrick Rose. You need good guard play to win these games guys. You don't have it. What did Beasley do last year? Griffin is not going to win you a basketball game by himself. A lot more to it than that.

Frozen Sooner
3/27/2009, 11:20 AM
Reality... Syracuse has the best point guard in the country. You don't. You have a freshman running the point. He is far from Derrick Rose. You need good guard play to win these games guys. You don't have it. What did Beasley do last year? Griffin is not going to win you a basketball game by himself. A lot more to it than that.

Austin Johnson is a senior. He's the starting point guard. WTF are you babbling about?

cjames317
3/27/2009, 11:23 AM

So y'all are counting on Jonny to win the game all by himself?

Hotrod3157
3/27/2009, 11:33 AM

Blake has already done more then Beasley last year in the tourney. Pointing out that you guard play is better then ours isn't a shocker to OU fans or anybody in the country for that matter. The question is can OU's guards do a good enough job to allow Blake to dominate in the middle or will the zone be able to sink in and smother Blake with 2 or 3 people around him at all times. Should be a fun game tonight

Sooner13
3/27/2009, 12:12 PM

Jeez this guy is an idiot.

SoonersEnFuego
3/27/2009, 12:47 PM
Our freshman running the point maybe runs it 2 minutes of the game. (I'm assuming you're talking about Willie Warren.)
How many OU games have you watched this year? And I'm not talking about YouTube clips. Sit and watch the game.
Beasley is a different player on a different team in a different year. Surprised you didn't know that...but what should I expect, you're just from Syracuse.
Johnny Flynn is going to get schooled by a freshman tonight, mark it down.

8timechamps
3/27/2009, 03:51 PM

Somehow, in your superior basketball upbringing, you have failed to do any real research on Blake Griffin. If Flynn, which most people here recognize as one of the best point gaurds in the land, is all you have to bet on, your team is going to be in a lot of trouble.

I'd worry less about how Flynn is going to "own" us at the gaurd position, and more about how Blake is going to make your interior play look like a 5th grade special education class.

SoonerJack
3/27/2009, 10:05 PM
Cusefan? Cusepowa?

[crickets]

That's what I thought.