PDA

View Full Version : how's the weather?

DBrown
3/26/2009, 03:04 PM
Amazing words from the late evening forecast discussion from the National Weather Service in Norman last night…

…particularly significant and disruptive snow event
…30 inches of snow in SW Kansas
…may need to ramp it up further to what amounts to a “PDS” winter storm watch
…easily could make this one of the most crippling s-plains snowstorms in recent history
…may end up being essentially an unprecedented late-season heavy snow event in NW Oklahoma

pds=potentially dangerous storm

OU_Sooners75
3/26/2009, 03:12 PM
Here in Central Kansas....We are looking at 10-15 inches of snow by the end of this thing.

Not snowing yet...suppose to start sometime Friday.

King Crimson
3/26/2009, 03:20 PM
up jet stream, started here in the Denver area overnight. Denver-Boulder turnpike is closed, whiteout conditions along the front range. i'd guess about 8-10 inches so far. supposed to continue through the night.

i'd suggest going to the store and getting any unnecessary driving done sooner than later.

8timechamps
3/26/2009, 04:29 PM
Here in the southern Denver metro area, snowfall started about 3am. I'd say we've got a good 13-15" already and more on the way.

KC, you stayin' warm?

C&CDean
3/26/2009, 04:39 PM
My brother called earlier (in Arvada) and said he couldn't even see his truck out on the street from his kitchen window.

King Crimson
3/26/2009, 04:41 PM
temp ain't too bad. but, as the sun goes down...it will start to drop and the slush mountains from plowing earlier in the day will start to freeze up. traffic seemed to be moving OK when i went out to shovel. i might put on the boots and go to the store and provision up for basketball tonight and the de facto 4 day weekend i've got. CU closed at 10AM and it's spring break.

supposed to be in the mid 60's on Saturday.....so it goes.

badger
3/26/2009, 04:44 PM
It has been doing nothing but rain here for the past several days (with a few forgiving breaks). There goes my attempts to plant grass seed. There goes my precious lawn. Thank you puppies. You are forever digging holes in my patience ;)

8timechamps
3/26/2009, 05:16 PM
My brother called earlier (in Arvada) and said he couldn't even see his truck out on the street from his kitchen window.

The wind has been gusting big time today. Blizzard conditions. I let me dog out, and stood on my patio...couldn't see the little fella...he finally managed to find his way back.

I love weather like this, the problem is, it's going to be in the 60's in less than 48 hours...

SeattleOUstudent
3/26/2009, 05:21 PM
I cant wait to move to Denver!

OUHOMER
3/26/2009, 05:32 PM
I went out and covered my onions, potatoes, and radishes with hay. I think they will make it. I was a little early planting I guess

8timechamps
3/26/2009, 05:42 PM
I cant wait to move to Denver!

Sorry, we're full at the moment. You can add your name to the waiting list though.

King Crimson
3/26/2009, 06:01 PM
looks like the second round is here. about 2 new inches in the last hour or so....snowing from the northeast to the southwest. classic upslope conditions.

ultimatesooner1
3/26/2009, 07:35 PM
I was up there visiting some family and a saw a bumper sticker that said

Colorado - Go back to Cali and tell all of your friends it sucks here

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2009, 07:39 PM
40F and ashy, thanks.

C&CDean
3/27/2009, 10:25 AM

Yeah, and the nimrod sporting on their vehicle had been there two years and called himself a "native."

Colorado people are some of the snobbiest *******s out there. Not the REAL locals, just the johnny-come-lately locals.

I was up elk hunting a few years back, and some goober walks up to our camp and saw my OK licence plate on my truck. He started talking about "all you out of staters come in here and **** up us locals' hunting." I said "where were you born?" He says "Washington state, but I've been here over 10 years." I said "well I was born in Colorado Springs, and I don't appreciate you west coasters coming in and ****ing up us natives' hunting."

He STFU and moved on.

Like any other desirable place, a bunch of california/oregon/washington/east coast people come in and eventually **** it all up for the real locals.

Jello Biafra
3/27/2009, 10:45 AM
I went out and covered my onions, potatoes, and radishes with hay. I think they will make it. I was a little early planting I guess

with weather like this, you'd better cover your onions when you go outside ;)

on the okc tip, i doubt seriously we see anything significant...

Boarder
3/27/2009, 10:51 AM
I sure wish I was "stuck" in Breckenridge right now.

OU-HSV
3/28/2009, 08:44 AM
It's been snowing like crazy here (East Broken Arrow/toward Coweta) for at least 45 minutes, huge flakes and it's surprisingly sticking to everything/even the roads. I'm sure once the snow tails off later today it will melt from the roads quickly since it's been so warm lately.
But the weather guys were missing the report even this morning...they were saying it would begin changing to snow around 10....and it wasn't 5 minutes later it started snowing here.
Gonna take my boy out to play in it later and I'll get some pics on here. I have to introduce you all to our newest addition to the family (a puppy)

Jerk
3/28/2009, 09:10 AM
We were told by the experts to expect 6-12 inches of global warming here in Edmond, but we didn't get jack instead of a lot of standing water, and wind...lots of wind.

OU-HSV
3/28/2009, 09:14 AM
We were told by the experts to expect 6-12 inches of global warming here in Edmond, but we didn't get jack instead of a lot of standing water, and wind...lots of wind.

They were saying 1-3 inches in Tulsa this morning, but I bet I've got almost 2 already and it's still coming down heavy.

Before my dish went out a few minutes ago, the wife was telling me they said it should transition to snow in Tulsa within an hour...even though it's been snowing in Tulsa too already,haha.
I think this March snow business has (at least these t.v. meteorologists) a little confused or something. I guess it's just the type of storm system it is, makes it hard to predict I guess.

Howzit
3/28/2009, 09:18 AM
I didn't run outside this morning because it's below 40 and a little breezy.

Partial Qualifier
3/28/2009, 09:22 AM

Me too!

yeah the much-heralded "2009 Winter Storm Event" amounted to jack squat in Norman. 'Cept it's windy.

Is it just me or have all the weather dudes in the OKC metro adopted the same m.o.? That is, to build up & promote the worst-case scenario? It's either that, or the weather's become much harder to predict over the last 8-9 years.. what HSV said.

StoopTroup
3/28/2009, 10:47 AM
It's great...especially if one of you would bring over a snowplow.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/DSC03383.jpg

StoopTroup
3/28/2009, 10:50 AM

After a few runs down the slopes we could head in and spit OVJ on the lobby fire and excite the management. Oh the joy. Do they still have the outdoor hot tubs? Do they ever clean them?

Partial Qualifier
3/28/2009, 12:05 PM
heh.

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2009/03/28/jim-cowan-gets-on-twitter-and-hes-not-happy/

Morgan went against the National Weather Service and the other locals and warned Oklahoma City’s snowfall would hit between six and ten inches instead of the three to six being called for by everyone else.
Then, yesterday, Mike came up with yet another unique forecast - “a significant icing event.” He warned power outages would be possible. Again, nobody else was calling for this, not even the National Weather Service.

On KTOK Friday afternoon he commented “I admit I’ve been all over on this one.”

Yeah Mike, you have.

So everyone freaked out, events got cancelled, my wife got to leave work early even though it was only raining. Big events in Bricktown got cancelled.

And the window weathermen can report what Mike Morgan could not: we got a dusting of snow.

I quit watching Mike Morgan a few years ago for winter weather. I figured out a pattern for him– he was always predicting much more than we actually got. His tornado coverage I think is pretty good, though, or at least he has good spotters out in the field filming.

I’ll watch Rick Mitchell on occasion, and his forecasts seem to be a little more accurate than Mike Morgan. But, even when it is a forecast of normal, 70s, no wind, no chance of rain, etc. his voice is so dramatic. It gets annoying.

I tend to watch Gary England the most. He’s the least dramatic, and his forecasts are the closest to accurate. He, like the others, forecasted a little high on this one (though his wasn’t as bad), but I have found the last couple of years he tends to predict slightly less than the others– and he is most often right.

^ that's pretty much my opinion too

StoopTroup
3/28/2009, 12:07 PM
Tulsa Weathermen > OKC Weathermen :D

Partial Qualifier
3/28/2009, 12:14 PM
^^ I don't see how they could be any worse.

I understand meteorologists have their work cut out for them, but around, oh, 5/3/1999 the metro station bosses figured out that bad weather = big TV ratings, and they've pimped every cumulonimbus and cold front as if they were the first wave of Armageddon ever since.

tommieharris91
3/28/2009, 12:32 PM
That and we're getting hammered in Tulsa. I bet that blizzard with the 2ft of snow in places was a lot of fun in western OK too.

StoopTroup
3/28/2009, 12:33 PM
It's because they know that soon we'll all be riding scooters and we'll need to know how it's going to be during the 8 to 10 hours.

StoopTroup
3/28/2009, 12:34 PM
That and we're getting hammered in Tulsa. I bet that blizzard with the 2ft of snow in places was a lot of fun in western OK too.

Yep....it's still coming down here too Tommie.

bluedogok
3/28/2009, 01:19 PM

Colorado - Go back to Cali and tell all of your friends it sucks here

Yeah, and the nimrod sporting on their vehicle had been there two years and called himself a "native."

Colorado people are some of the snobbiest *******s out there. Not the REAL locals, just the johnny-come-lately locals.

I was up elk hunting a few years back, and some goober walks up to our camp and saw my OK licence plate on my truck. He started talking about "all you out of staters come in here and **** up us locals' hunting." I said "where were you born?" He says "Washington state, but I've been here over 10 years." I said "well I was born in Colorado Springs, and I don't appreciate you west coasters coming in and ****ing up us natives' hunting."

He STFU and moved on.

Like any other desirable place, a bunch of california/oregon/washington/east coast people come in and eventually **** it all up for the real locals.
I have noticed that up there with Texas plates, I never got as much grief with the Oklahoma plates. I tell them I am an Okie, I just live in Texas and they seem to get a laugh out of that. I eventually want to move up there as well and we were considering it before everything cratered. I would check the AIA Colorado job board every so often and there would be 20-30 positions listed on there, in the past six months there may be 3 or 4.

The attitudes towards Californians are the same down here, especially with anyone who came to Austin to go to school before the mid-90's.

It got cold last night, it got down to 39 and is windy. It is a little cool to put the top down on my new car, I had it down most of the past week with temps in the 80's except for the couple of days that it rained.

Okla-homey
3/28/2009, 01:32 PM
Amazing words from the late evening forecast discussion from the National Weather Service in Norman last night…

…particularly significant and disruptive snow event
…30 inches of snow in SW Kansas
…may need to ramp it up further to what amounts to a “PDS” winter storm watch
…easily could make this one of the most crippling s-plains snowstorms in recent history
…may end up being essentially an unprecedented late-season heavy snow event in NW Oklahoma

pds=potentially dangerous storm

at 1331CDT here in T-town, I estimate we have 5" of wet gloppy snow and it's still coming down.

yermom
3/28/2009, 01:43 PM
Me too!

yeah the much-heralded "2009 Winter Storm Event" amounted to jack squat in Norman. 'Cept it's windy.

Is it just me or have all the weather dudes in the OKC metro adopted the same m.o.? That is, to build up & promote the worst-case scenario? It's either that, or the weather's become much harder to predict over the last 8-9 years.. what HSV said.

i was looking at the models, they were predicting up to 6" depending on which one you looked at

there just isn't a great way to tell where the snow is going to stop, it was snowing basically all around us. judging by the snow places not that far from us got, it's really weird that we aren't getting a lot more than we are

OU-HSV
3/28/2009, 02:44 PM
at 1331CDT here in T-town, I estimate we have 5" of wet gloppy snow and it's still coming down.

Word.
Here at my house it's still coming down as well and from the looks of my back yard and patio it seems we probably have 5 or 6 inches of snow as well.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2395/patiot.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=patiot.jpg)

StoopTroup
3/28/2009, 03:31 PM
Getting deeper here too.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/th_DSC03387.jpg

StoopTroup
3/28/2009, 03:33 PM
The Kids have been trampling in and out too. I bet they sleep like babies tonight. :D

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/th_DSC03385.jpg

BudSooner
3/29/2009, 07:59 AM
About halfway thru the day, I was hunting down cable going to a customers room and had to get into the crawlspace, so there I am looking up at a POS Lowes/Home Depot splitter that the had cobbled together when I get hit in the junk by a snowball from hell.
It must have come from out of the tree above, I was getting pelted pretty bad coming around the back of the house.