PDA

View Full Version : I'll take reformed 80's one hit wonders for $500 Alex.....

Salt City Sooner
3/25/2009, 03:45 PM
They knowww this, muuuuch is, truuu.....

Why do I find it hard to write the next line?" If you recognize the lyric then brace yourself for some good news.

Twenty years since their acrimonious split, Spandau Ballet -- the pin-up boys who helped shaped the sound of 1980s glam pop -- have announced the first dates of what band members say will be a full world tour.

The Tony Hadley-fronted band, who enjoyed worldwide success with hits such as "True" and "Gold," will launch their comeback in Dublin, Ireland, on October 13 before playing seven dates across the UK.

Wednesday's announcement took place onboard HMS Belfast, a retired Royal Navy moored in the Thames that was the scene of a key early gig by the band in 1980 that launched them on the road to global stardom.

"It is impossible to stress too highly how achingly fashionable Spandau Ballet were in the winter of 1979 and the summer of 1980," GQ magazine editor Dylan Jones writes in a biography of the band.

Formed at a London school in 1979, Spandau Ballet went on to sell 25 million records worldwide, emerging out of the post-punk "New Romantic" music scene.

Along with fellow British band Duran Duran, their sound, style and attitude came to define an era dominated by ostentatious glamour, gold lame suits and big hair.

"Not only did their albums sell by the millions, but their look and style impacted on the fashion world and beyond," said a press release, summing up the band's influence on the decade.

"They created their own style, combining creativity with entrepreneurship and the 'can do' spirit of early 80s youth at a time of crisis and upheaval eerily reminiscent of 2009. Spandau Ballet are both commercially and culturally enormous."

Following the band's split in 1989, several members including Hadley unsuccessfully sued main songwriter Gary Kemp for a larger share of songwriting royalties.

Since then, Hadley has appeared in the London production of the hit musical "Chicago" and also won an 80s revivalist reality TV show "Reborn in the USA." Several other members of the band have carved out moderately successful acting careers.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/25/spandau.ballet.reunion/index.html

Mixer!
3/25/2009, 09:12 PM
Er, they had three hit songs that placed in the Ameican Charts to their credit: 'Only When You Leave' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J1APZ0y1J0), 'Gold' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16XywsyXEUw) & 'True' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4WLdLNajs).

Sincerely,
Anal-Retentive 80's Fan

fadada1
3/25/2009, 09:20 PM
maybe SLY FOX will open for them.

Mixer!
3/25/2009, 09:22 PM
ABC

KC//CRIMSON
3/25/2009, 09:36 PM
Pet Shop Boys

Sooner98
3/25/2009, 11:18 PM
I'll see your Spandau Ballet, and raise you a Kajagoogoo.

King Crimson
3/26/2009, 08:58 AM
Glass Tiger

and Spandau nor Duran invented the chic, hair look. it was Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music.

KC//CRIMSON
3/26/2009, 11:26 AM
I'll see your Spandau Ballet, and raise you a Kajagoogoo.

I'll see your Kajagoogoo, and raise you a Haircut 100.

Jello Biafra
3/26/2009, 12:08 PM
I'll see your Kajagoogoo, and raise you a Haircut 100.

ill see your tuna boat commanders and raise you suicidal tendencies for early 80s dominance...

"i'm not crazy....you're the one's that crazy"

texas bandman
3/26/2009, 12:13 PM
Dokken?

KC//CRIMSON
3/26/2009, 12:20 PM
ill see your tuna boat commanders and raise you suicidal tendencies for early 80s dominance...

"i'm not crazy....you're the one's that crazy"

I'll see your doo-rag dough boys and raise you a Dead Kennedys for the win.

Nazi Punks *uck Off!

Jello Biafra
3/26/2009, 12:29 PM
Dokken?

roflmao.....you shoulda just said stryper or white lion errr...

Jello Biafra
3/26/2009, 12:31 PM
I'll see your doo-rag dough boys and raise you a Dead Kennedys for the win.

Nazi Punks *uck Off!

man....beaten by my alter-ego....

KC//CRIMSON
3/26/2009, 12:40 PM
roflmao.....you shoulda just said stryper or white lion errr...

I went to a Stryper concert and got assaulted with a bible.

King Crimson
3/26/2009, 12:54 PM
Loudness.

Dio
3/26/2009, 01:07 PM
Loudness.

The winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNon8-hwvgo

Oldnslo
3/26/2009, 04:49 PM
Saga!

C&CDean
3/26/2009, 04:55 PM
What I've learned from this thread is that the 70's are > the 80's, and it ain't even close.

KC//CRIMSON
3/26/2009, 05:13 PM
What I've learned from this thread is that the 70's are > the 80's, and it ain't even close.

Steppenwolf called........they want their magic carpet back.

theresonly1OU
3/27/2009, 12:06 AM
Steppenwolf called........they want their magic carpet back.

And Van McCoy called, something about you stealing his Hustle?

Crucifax Autumn
3/27/2009, 01:04 AM
Spek to both Crimsons, Jello, and Dio on this one!

And bandman...yer a real dream warrior if you actually think Dokken is any good other than having a talented guitarist...Don is one of the weakest singers ever IMO.

Crucifax Autumn
3/27/2009, 01:14 AM
pKeJkAJRSH8

8timechamps
3/27/2009, 03:19 AM
Oh, I guess Winger is just left out?!

Nice guys, really nice. You really know how to hurtsome feelings.

Mixer!
3/27/2009, 08:50 AM
Wasn't Winger that Stuart kid's favorite band on Beavis & Butthead?

Mixer!
3/27/2009, 08:51 AM

Crucifax Autumn
3/27/2009, 09:33 AM
I don't listen to ballet dancers singing.

Jello Biafra
3/27/2009, 09:54 AM

says C&C "music factory" Dean :)

KC//CRIMSON
3/27/2009, 12:34 PM

Stalk much, freak?

and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band called, said you can keep their afternoon delight...

Jello Biafra
3/27/2009, 12:46 PM
simon and garfunkel announced at some point last month that obama's stimulus plan would rebuild the "bridge over troubled waters"... whatever that means.

C&CDean
3/27/2009, 12:51 PM
says C&C "music factory" Dean :)

Heh. How about you stack up your 80's lineup against:

Aerosmith, Nugent, Zeppelin, Grand Funk, The Who, Molly Hatchett, Foghat, Black Oak Arkansas, Montrose, Doobies, Queen, and about a brazillion others in the R&R HOF or who should be there.

Jello Biafra
3/27/2009, 01:10 PM

Aerosmith, Nugent, Zeppelin, Grand Funk, The Who, Molly Hatchett, Foghat, Black Oak Arkansas, Montrose, Doobies, Queen, and about a brazillion others in the R&R HOF or who should be there.

lol obviously you missed the reference... lemme help grandpaps :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2BC_Music_Factory

now.....everyone do tha roger rabbit...

theresonly1OU
3/27/2009, 01:38 PM
Stalk much, freak?

and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band called, said you can keep their afternoon delight...

ummmm...my comment was a joke, that you initiated, that was intended to complement a clever meme that you started.

And speaking of stalking; I have about 25 or 30 diatribe-laced negspeks from you in the last week Crimson, so let's try to get away from the pot/kettle stuff, shall we?

Jello Biafra
3/27/2009, 01:52 PM
ummmm...my comment was a joke, that you initiated, that was intended to complement a clever meme that you started.

And speaking of stalking; I have about 25 or 30 diatribe-laced negspeks from you in the last week Crimson, so let's try to get away from the pot/kettle stuff, shall we?

rut roh raggy...

i smell a pillow fight coming on...

C&CDean
3/27/2009, 02:25 PM
lol obviously you missed the reference... lemme help grandpaps :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2BC_Music_Factory

now.....everyone do tha roger rabbit...

Nah, I got it. Everybody dance now...

I was just making my point that 70's music >>>>>>>>>>80's stuff.

Jello Biafra
3/27/2009, 02:33 PM
Nah, I got it. Everybody dance now...

I was just making my point that 70's music >>>>>>>>>>80's stuff.

awww cmon dean....wang chung tonight?

pop goes the world

girls just wanna have fun

somebodys watching me

karma chameleon (sp?)

captain of her heart

walk the dinosaur

smooth oeprator

ooooh oooh ...and mexican radio.....who doesn't like some mexican radio?!?!?!

C&CDean
3/27/2009, 02:37 PM
Smooth Operator is the only tune there worth a **** (unless the Mexican Radio you're referring to is a ZZTop tune). And Smooth Operator is the worse Sade song ever.

Jello Biafra
3/27/2009, 02:46 PM
Smooth Operator is the only tune there worth a **** (unless the Mexican Radio you're referring to is a ZZTop tune). And Smooth Operator is the worse Sade song ever.

rofl...ok i give it to ya....i spent most of the 80s moshing and lifting so..... i have no clue...i CAN hook ya up with some good speed metal and/or punk bands to check on though (which i listened to BECAUSE of all the bands you mentioned ;) )...i doubt they have any half of fame potential and quite frankly, i think they probably all drive range rovers and attend soccer games now.....

man...i spent all that time listening to "the message" and it all turned out to be a sham.

C&CDean
3/27/2009, 03:00 PM
Now moshing - that was something I never quite got.

One time in like 1977 or so I was in Tucson at a bar that had a local talent contest going on. It happened on a night that was also $5 drink & drown.

Anyhow, I'll never forget it. One of my buddies has a band and he says "come on down and watch us play, there'll be like 6-7 bands playing." So, we go down. The first couple bands sucked, and then all these freaks start showing up with torn clothes, safety pins, spiked hair, ugly tennis shoes, etc. We're like "WTF is that?" Somebody goes "punks."

Anyhow, I even remember the name of the band - The Suspects. These dudes come on, start pogoing around the stage strumming the same 4 out of tune notes screaming "Oh Yeah!!, Oh No!!, Oh Yeah, Oh no!!" That was the whole song. All the freaks start pogoing like the band was (of course I didn't learn that was called the pogo until later times). All of the sudden, the lead screamer just dives off the stage into the crowd of freaks. They're all slamming into each other and ****. Dude gets up, runs down the bar where we're sitting - slamming into people the whole way down, spilling everybody's beer and even knocking a waitress down, and jumps back up on the stage.

He dives again, and as he starts to come down the bar, my brother, who was sitting next to me goes "so, we gonna stop this bull**** or what?" I go "yeah, we probably should."

As dude comes running by, my brother just kind of turns his bar stool so that his knee catches dude in the junk, and as he folds over, I drop an elbow to the back of his neck that face-planted him onto the concrete. We both turn back to the bar and continue drinking.

A couple seconds later, dude is up on the stage, nose and lips bleeding, screaming "kick their ****ing asses man, kick their ****ing asses!!" pointing at us. We'd had plenty to drink, so we get up and start pogoing like they were. Every once in a while one of them would bounce up to us with their fists up like they were boxers or something. We'd drop them like bags of cement, and another would take their place. It was a blast.

Long story short, there was maybe 75 or so of them, and neither one of us ever got kicked/hit/punched or anything. It was surreal. They would jump up to us, take a shot to the chops, and then fall back and all the freak chicks would be all "oooooh, you're so brave..." I actually got winded like I was boxing or something.

We finally got 86ed, but as they're 86ing us they're going "nice job guys, those people are freaks." Good times indeed.

Jello Biafra
3/27/2009, 03:16 PM

One time in like 1977 or so I was in Tucson at a bar that had a local talent contest going on. It happened on a night that was also $5 drink & drown.

Anyhow, I'll never forget it. One of my buddies has a band and he says "come on down and watch us play, there'll be like 6-7 bands playing." So, we go down. The first couple bands sucked, and then all these freaks start showing up with torn clothes, safety pins, spiked hair, ugly tennis shoes, etc. We're like "WTF is that?" Somebody goes "punks."

Anyhow, I even remember the name of the band - The Suspects. These dudes come on, start pogoing around the stage strumming the same 4 out of tune notes screaming "Oh Yeah!!, Oh No!!, Oh Yeah, Oh no!!" That was the whole song. All the freaks start pogoing like the band was (of course I didn't learn that was called the pogo until later times). All of the sudden, the lead screamer just dives off the stage into the crowd of freaks. They're all slamming into each other and ****. Dude gets up, runs down the bar where we're sitting - slamming into people the whole way down, spilling everybody's beer and even knocking a waitress down, and jumps back up on the stage.

He dives again, and as he starts to come down the bar, my brother, who was sitting next to me goes "so, we gonna stop this bull**** or what?" I go "yeah, we probably should."

As dude comes running by, my brother just kind of turns his bar stool so that his knee catches dude in the junk, and as he folds over, I drop an elbow to the back of his neck that face-planted him onto the concrete. We both turn back to the bar and continue drinking.

A couple seconds later, dude is up on the stage, nose and lips bleeding, screaming "kick their ****ing asses man, kick their ****ing asses!!" pointing at us. We'd had plenty to drink, so we get up and start pogoing like they were. Every once in a while one of them would bounce up to us with their fists up like they were boxers or something. We'd drop them like bags of cement, and another would take their place. It was a blast.

Long story short, there was maybe 75 or so of them, and neither one of us ever got kicked/hit/punched or anything. It was surreal. They would jump up to us, take a shot to the chops, and then fall back and all the freak chicks would be all "oooooh, you're so brave..." I actually got winded like I was boxing or something.

We finally got 86ed, but as they're 86ing us they're going "nice job guys, those people are freaks." Good times indeed.

roflmao...thats how i got into it too...at 14 i was bigger than some adults so some places in chicago would allow us into 18 year old digs no beer or anything like that (at least they weren't selling it) i was on the floor and some dude jacked me in the back of the nugget...i spun on my heel and was getting ready to choke slam him when i relaized he was just jumping around and not really intending harm.so i started slamming into people and it was amazing...lol

by the time i went into the army i was going to the bars that had the punks actually hanging out to get their asses kicked... there was a bar in boulder that we drove to to specifically see how many people we could put on their backs...

me and my buddies show up with our 10 hole docs highly spit shined, shaved heads and me wearing an OU tshirt under the leather jacket lol...i was an instant "celebrity". long story short, me and my freinds are picked up by the MPs and put into the gang file for inciting riots and having shaved heads...
there was much buffaloe ash kicked that evening.

we picked up trash on ft. carson for what seemed like months. the end.

Salt City Sooner
3/27/2009, 05:25 PM
That ain't no mean feat, what with him bein' dead for 30 years & all that stuff...(cue twilight zone intro)

8timechamps
3/27/2009, 11:38 PM

Don't be afraid to 'come out' as a Color me Bad fan. Own it!

King Crimson
3/27/2009, 11:46 PM
a couple things here:

1. these are arbitrary distinctions. the first stooges LP came out when the Beatles were still together.....but very few people thinking through the lens of popular music see the stooges as a 60's-early 70'd band, as far as influence and not just consumer titillation.

2. 70's has some robust music, but it's also a product of the domination of the 33 rpm LP form as the delivery system (and 8 Track) of the product. in the 50's it was the "single" at 45 rpms. artists were given new license--and not commanded by teams of songwriters owned by the labels. Dark Side of the Moon, doesn't happen without Sgt. Peppers. or in the era of Dion and the Belmonts (who rule) or with a record label like Stax--where artists like Sam and Dave record singles written by Isaac Hayes.

MTV was kind of a return to this singles model, in some ways, with a visual dimension. i'd argue iTunes, in some ways as well. with personal customization as the issue of the delivery system of the commodity.

3. as deplorable and gruesome some of the 80's schlock is on MTV, and i'm not privilege nostalgia much......the 8 billion LB "explain it away Dean" gorilla is disco.

disco.

4. this is tongue in cheek thread, through and through. plenty of bad music in the 70's too.

Crucifax Autumn
3/28/2009, 12:01 AM
It's been about 5 years since I downloaded a single song from an album rather than the full album. When I was buying physical copies as the rule rather than the exception, the only time I bought singles was for songs off albums I already owned to get the b-sides.

The truly good bands still put together coherent albums just like in the 70s. Problem is, unlike the 70s that's not how the market works anymore so only in Europe and the more underground/net scene is the full work of art truly appreciated or marketed.

And I have to chime in on the punk stuff...as far as I'm concerned if it's not the Ramones or Misfits, it's not punk unless it's taking political views to the extreme or reflecting society in a real way. Those 2 exceptions are made only because while the Ramones were really just a 60s girl group with fuzzy guitar and the misfits were that same band with brutal music and horror themes, they are both undeniably punk legends.

King Crimson
3/28/2009, 12:18 AM
my students, even the one's who listen to the campus radio station, invariably think in the "that's a good song, good enough to buy" mindset.

"I love that song".

it's more like the '50s, the oldies station (which has great songs just played endlessly to prison killing repetition), is the same net effect of the iTunes. singles. they sell you singles. albums too, but it's really about the single cuts. now p2p is much different. it's the whole model of user interface. like i say, the 33 rpm widely produced and distributed enacted a change in the substance of how "music" was seen and understood compared to the 45 rpm single.

Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt. Peppers doesn't happen in a world full of 45's or itunes selections. you aren't going to listen to Sgt. Peppers on 6 or 7 different 45's.

and be the same.

Crucifax Autumn
3/28/2009, 02:21 PM
I'm of the are there enough other good songs to make this band worth spending a dime on...if so, I get the full album, if not I don't buy anything.

Mixer!
3/29/2009, 07:17 PM

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2910/deanfupanda.png

:D

Jello Biafra
3/30/2009, 04:03 PM
And I have to chime in on the punk stuff...as far as I'm concerned if it's not the Ramones or Misfits, it's not punk unless it's taking political views to the extreme or reflecting society in a real way.

what better way to explain what h'es talking about than actually putting the lyrics in black and white....

"We've Got A Bigger Problem Now"

Last call for alcohol.
Last call for your freedom of speech.
Drink up. Happy hour is now enforced by law.
Don't forget our house special, it's called a Trickie Dickie Screwdriver.
It's got one part Jack Daniels, two parts purple Kool-Aid,
and a jigger of formaldehyde
from the jar with Hitler's brain in it we got in the back storeroom.
Happy trails to you. Happy trails to you.

I am Emperor Ronald Reagan
Born again with fascist cravings
Still, you made me president

Human rights will soon go 'way
I am now your Shah today
Now I command all of you
Now you're going to pray in school
I'll make sure they're Christian too

California Uber alles
Uber alles California

Ku Klux Klan will control you
Still you think it's natural
****** knockin' for the master race
Still you wear the happy face

You closed your eyes, can't happen here
Alexander Haig is near
Vietnam won't come back you say
Join the army or you will pay

California Uber alles
Uber alles California

Yeah, that's it. Just relax.
Have another drink, few more pretzels, little more MSG.
Turn on those Dallas Cowboys on your TV.
Lock your doors. Close your mind.
It's time for the two-minute warning.

Welcome to 1984
Are you ready for the third world war?!?
You too will meet the secret police
They'll draft you and they'll jail your niece

You'll go quitely to boot camp
They'll shoot you dead, make you a man
Don't you worry, it's for a cause
Feeding global corporations' claws

Die on our brand new poison gas
El Salvador or Afghanistan
Making money for President Reagan
And all the friends of President Reagan

California Uber alles
Uber alles California

beginning sounds like a bad vegas lounge act...freaking hilarious...

Crucifax Autumn
3/30/2009, 08:46 PM
I posted a couple of videos of this in the hideout...meant to post one but was drunk and flyung along posting them and posted one with the correct title and one with an incorrect title.

No matter your political view these guys always entertained...they slammed the liberal politicians frequently too, particularly after the PMRC thing, but they were one of the few bands to slam both Gore and Baker's wife...the others seemed to focus just on Gore since she was the mouthpiece but they didn't realize that Baker's wife was the one who really started it all. I think they are both a-holes myself.