PDA

View Full Version : Good Read on Travis and Corey Wilson

TheUnnamedSooner
3/25/2009, 02:48 PM
From today's DMN...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/032509dnspotaylor.3a50ee9.html

Family fuels Dallas Cowboys practice-squad player's determination

10:51 PM CDT on Tuesday, March 24, 2009

You can spend a lifetime trying to understand God's plan for your life and never figure it out.

At least that's 25-year-old Travis Wilson's view of his football career that has taken him from the University of Oklahoma to Cleveland to Denver to Dallas.

Travis didn't succeed in Cleveland because the 2006 third-round draft pick caught only four passes in two seasons and was inactive for the entire 2007 season, in part, because he didn't get along with the offensive coordinator.

Some of it was his fault; some of it wasn't.

After the Browns released him on their final cut last summer, he spent three weeks on the Broncos' practice squad before they cut him. A week later, the Cowboys signed him to their practice squad.

Maybe his circuitous route returned him to Dallas because God knew the Carrollton Creekview graduate's family needed him close.

Three weeks ago, Wilson's little brother, Corey, suffered life-threatening injuries after a car accident as the 20-year-old redshirt freshman receiver returned home for a weekend of rest and relaxation a few weeks before the start of Oklahoma's spring practice

Corey was driving south on I-35 near Pauls Valley, 138 miles north of Carrollton at about 1 p.m., when his vehicle collided with a pickup truck driven by Kody R. Thomas, 20, of Broken Arrow, Okla., who was also traveling southbound, according to published reports.

Corey's SUV rolled twice, and he was thrown about 45 feet from the vehicle. He was airlifted to OU Medical Center, where he spent a week in the intensive care unit.

Corey has virtually no movement below his waist. He'll never play football again.

No one knows if he'll ever walk.

This is Travis' life as he prepares for the Cowboys' off-season conditioning program, minicamps, OTAs and training camp as he tries to earn a roster spot.

Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin and Sam Hurd will make the team unless something weird happens. Travis will compete with Isaiah Stanback, whomever the Cowboys draft and a collection of free-agent receivers for the final spot.

None will be more determined than Travis.

"I've always played for my family but this situation is different ," said Travis, who has spent the last three weeks traveling back and forth between Dallas and Norman. It's like it was meant to be. Everything happens for a reason."

Cowboys wide receivers coach Ray Sherman sees a different man than the one he studied when Travis was a college senior.

Sherman sees a man with a better attitude who makes no excuses for his failure in Cleveland. Sherman sees a man who practices and studies with desperation because he doesn't know how many more chances he'll get to fulfill his NFL dream.

"We don't know God's plan or why things work out the way they do," Sherman said. "I do know he's thankful that he was able to be close to his family right now because they need him."

The worst day of Travis' life began like any other off-season Friday afternoon: He was getting a 90-minute massage after a chiropractor had worked him over.

His phone kept vibrating but he ignored it.

"I just wanted my 90 minutes of peace and quiet," said Travis, "but when I checked the phone, I had a text message and two missed calls from my mom. That was unusual."

Travis said he texted Corey's girlfriend, who had been contacted by medical personnel at the accident site.

Travis and his mom headed up I-35 to Norman – a drive he has made countless times. Along the way, they frantically called the hospital, seeking any information about Corey's condition but without any luck.

Finally, Travis alerted OU football officials, who received some medical information and passed it along.

"That was the longest two hours and 15 minutes of my life," Travis said of the drive. "It was like driving cross country."

Oklahoma's football program and the university community have embraced Corey.

Academic advisors have already established a schedule to make sure he doesn't fall too far behind in school. Visitors have been frequent.

Coach Bob Stoops provides a breakfast burrito or sandwich most mornings.

"I try to mix it up," Stoops said Tuesday afternoon. "I've been to Sonic quite a bit. Carl Jr's. Bakers. Burger King. We've sat through quite a few breakfasts together.

"We had a lunch date today, but we had to cancel because of some rehab work he had to do. Now, we're graduating to lunches and dinners."

Corey, nicknamed Superman as a youth, has a tattoo of the man of steel in the middle of his chest.

His spirit has proved to be indestructible.

Travis said his brother's attitude uplifts family and friends. Corey, he says, believes he'll walk one day.

No doubt.

He's made daily progress. It's excruciatingly miniscule but it's tangible.

Corey has moved one of his toes. And he has sensation in his hips. And his butt, if he's on his back too long.

"He knows he's going to walk. We respect the doctors and their profession," said Travis, "but the only one who knows is the man upstairs.

"Corey is going to walk again. It might take two weeks. Or three weeks. Or six months. Or 10 years. But it's going to happen."

Travis' confidence – he calls it swagger – has returned since the Cowboys signed him.

Travis knows he can play this game, and he doesn't care whether you believe it. All he needs is opportunity and Sherman has told him he'll get it.

"If I don't succeed," Travis said, "the only person I can blame is me."

Besides, Travis believes he's supposed to be in Dallas. It's all part of the plan.

Boomer.....
3/25/2009, 03:27 PM
Great to hear Corey has movement in his lower body.

soonerlaw
3/25/2009, 04:45 PM
This was a great article. I'm glad to see the Sooner nation pulling together to support Corey and hope he fully recovers. Good luck to Travis as well, it might be worth the price of Jerry World to see him play as a Cowboy.

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 04:51 PM
Brings a tear to a grown man's eye. They have there hearts and minds in the right place. With God.

AlbqSooner
3/25/2009, 07:36 PM
Spring football is going on and Stoops has breakfast with Corey. They are working on lunches and dinner. Stoops is unquestionably a great football coach. He is also unquestionably a great human being. God bless the Wilson family and the Stoops family as well.

Crucifax Autumn
3/25/2009, 09:19 PM
Great article and great people all around.

oupride
3/26/2009, 11:39 AM
Words do not describe how touching this story is. Thanks for the post.

oumartin
3/26/2009, 12:51 PM
Great read. We get on Stoops for the BCS issues but there is no doubt that he is one of the finest human beings on this planet.

God bless the Wilson family as well!

rainiersooner
3/26/2009, 04:26 PM
Well, that article just put my day in perspective. Guess I'll stop bitching about the stuff I was tearing my hair out over. Thoughts and prayers for Corey, Travis, and their family.

VA Sooner
3/28/2009, 12:16 AM
God bless Corey and the rest of the Wilson family.

gotpoi73
4/1/2009, 02:58 PM
just be thankful for every moment you have. god bless the wilsons and perspective for the rest of us