PDA

View Full Version : Uconn men possible MAJOR violations!!!

Collier11
3/25/2009, 08:29 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-uconnphone032509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 08:40 AM
Nice read. It brings some pretty crazy stuff to light. I hope that has never happened at our university. Well, we know Sampson made an excessive amount of phone calls.

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 11:24 AM
This kid can only go back to UCONN according to transfer rules.

JLEW1818
3/25/2009, 11:33 AM
Looks like maybe that little outburst is coming back to him....

badger
3/25/2009, 11:43 AM
Someday, the NCAA's gonna crack down on recruiting via Twitter :rolleyes:

Seriously, UConn. You're a private school. You should be able to cover stuff like this up. How in the heck did Yahoo Sports find you out? Did someone file a lawsuit, or did one of the dude's posse members defect like the USC cases?

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 11:54 AM
From the article it appears this kids amateur eligibility is in question, but if not I wouldn't mind seeing a kid w/that talent in an OU uni. Too much baggage though.

John Kochtoston
3/25/2009, 12:03 PM
Someday, the NCAA's gonna crack down on recruiting via Twitter :rolleyes:

Seriously, UConn. You're a private school. You should be able to cover stuff like this up. How in the heck did Yahoo Sports find you out? Did someone file a lawsuit, or did one of the dude's posse members defect like the USC cases?

UConn's not private.

badger
3/25/2009, 12:08 PM
UConn's not private.

correction, they're "public ivy," whatever that means. I mistakenly read that they were private somewhere awhile back. my bad

John Kochtoston
3/25/2009, 12:13 PM
correction, they're "public ivy," whatever that means. I mistakenly read that they were private somewhere awhile back. my bad

It means they're a decent public school with an amazing amount of penis envy of the bluebloods in New Haven.

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 12:27 PM
I think a lot of people thought they were private until that "reporter" asked Jimmy Calhoun about the fact that he was making a ****load of dough at a public university while the state was in a shortfall. He sure wasn't trying to give any back, though that might have to do with him having to pay his runners.

Collier11
3/25/2009, 12:53 PM
I just want to know why the world wide leader in sports never uncovers anything of substance but yahoo breaks all these big time stories

badger
3/25/2009, 12:59 PM
I just want to know why the world wide leader in sports never uncovers anything of substance but yahoo breaks all these big time stories

ESPN did the OJ Mayo thing. Linky. (http://http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allthingstrojan/2008/05/major-allegatio.html)

Collier11
3/25/2009, 01:04 PM
I thought that was the LA Times, your link doesnt work FYI

StoopTroup
3/25/2009, 01:24 PM
If the NCAA knows this stuff hapens and they use UConn as an example...I'm not sure that's right. These babysitters and the kids who let them babysit them are just as much of a problem IMO. If your a good player you get coddle enough most times. Many of these kids just become problems. I think the NBA has just as much responsibility in not black listing agents who are doing this too.

Money corrupts and these kids are corrupted by the money more than these phone calls.

I know rules are rules but the phone call rules seem pretty tame when compared to these Agent / Babysitter deals that lead to NBA contracts.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2009, 01:32 PM
It means they're a decent public school with an amazing amount of penis envy of the bluebloods in New Haven.

"Public Ivy" is a term granted from outside. I wasn't aware that UConn was considered a Public Ivy, but Rutgers and Cal are both public ivies.

The original eight Public Ivies list by Moll (1985):[2]

College of William & Mary (Williamsburg, Virginia)
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
University of California[6]
University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Texas at Austin
University of Vermont (Burlington)
University of Virginia (Charlottesville)
Moll also offered in the same book "a list of worthy runners-up" and brief summaries of them[7]:

University of Colorado at Boulder
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
New College of the University of South Florida (Now New College of Florida)
Pennsylvania State University at University Park
University of Pittsburgh
State University of New York at Binghamton
University of Washington at Seattle
University of Wisconsin–Madison

John Kochtoston
3/25/2009, 01:48 PM
"Public Ivy" is a term granted from outside. I wasn't aware that UConn was considered a Public Ivy, but Rutgers and Cal are both public ivies.

The original eight Public Ivies list by Moll (1985):[2]

College of William & Mary (Williamsburg, Virginia)
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
University of California[6]
University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Texas at Austin
University of Vermont (Burlington)
University of Virginia (Charlottesville)
Moll also offered in the same book "a list of worthy runners-up" and brief summaries of them[7]:

University of Colorado at Boulder
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
New College of the University of South Florida (Now New College of Florida)
Pennsylvania State University at University Park
University of Pittsburgh
State University of New York at Binghamton
University of Washington at Seattle
University of Wisconsin–Madison

Huh. Learn something new every day. Though, that list has a pretty wide range of quality on it, especially once you get out of the top seven.

badger
3/25/2009, 01:57 PM
Ok, here's the article (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/10/education/10aid.html) where I got the idea that UConn was private. It doesn't explicitly say "private," but it was tucked between discussions on other private schools and huge price tag attached to attending it. It's a story about parents whose generation mostly saw their own parents pay for their college tuition, but now that their own kids want to attend, they'd rather have their kiddos take out loans.

John Kochtoston
3/25/2009, 02:20 PM
Ok, here's the article (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/10/education/10aid.html) where I got the idea that UConn was private. It doesn't explicitly say "private," but it was tucked between discussions on other private schools and huge price tag attached to attending it. It's a story about parents whose generation mostly saw their own parents pay for their college tuition, but now that their own kids want to attend, they'd rather have their kiddos take out loans.

Yeah, that article is a bit confusing as to which schools are private and which schools just have really high OOS tuition.

I just remember there being a bit of a flap a few years back, when UConn football went D-1A (FBS). UConn was investing a ton of money in making the step up, while campus buildings were falling apart.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2009, 02:23 PM
Huh. Learn something new every day. Though, that list has a pretty wide range of quality on it, especially once you get out of the top seven.

Well, that list is kind of old.

Anyhow, it just refers to schools that give equivalent to an Ivy League education while being publicly funded. There's also "New Ivies" like Rutgers and Stanford.

John Kochtoston
3/25/2009, 02:26 PM
Well, that list is kind of old.

Anyhow, it just refers to schools that give equivalent to an Ivy League education while being publicly funded. There's also "New Ivies" like Rutgers and Stanford.

In the eyes of (some of) the schools' PR departments, perhaps.

UNC, Cal, Texas, Michigan, Georgia Tech, SUNY-Binghamton.

One of those things is not like the others.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2009, 02:28 PM
Again, that list is 20+ years old. SUNY used to give a really really good education.

John Kochtoston
3/25/2009, 02:37 PM
Sounds kinda like the Pride still talking about being the Marching Band of the Year...in 1987.

soonerfan28
3/26/2009, 12:20 PM
Ater Majok may be in the same mess that Niles is according to ESPN. He also had a relationship w/Josh Nochimson prior to signing w/ UCONN.

From ESPN today.

Miles is not the only recent UConn signee tied to Nochimson. A source told ESPN.com that Nochimson personally shepherded Ater Majok -- a 6-foot-10 forward who is not eligible to play with the Huskies until after the end of the 2009 fall semester -- through his appearance in a high-school all-star game in spring 2008.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/26/2009, 03:30 PM
Pete Carroll released a statement saying he knows nothing about this.

soonerstan56
3/26/2009, 04:48 PM
The NCAA has asked U.CONN to investigate this situation.
I wonder how that will work ?

Stan

badger
3/26/2009, 04:59 PM
The NCAA has asked U.CONN to investigate this situation.
I wonder how that will work ?

Stan

my punishment should be no broccoli for two months!