PDA

View Full Version : Seth Curry to transfer

Ardmore_Sooner
3/25/2009, 12:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4012928

I have a feeling this could possibly benefit us.

boomersooner28
3/25/2009, 05:09 AM

Do you know something we don't know?

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 08:45 AM
I hope he can play against better competition then what they faced at Liberty. Even if we benefited from this he would still have to sit out a year and that would mean TMG would already be the PG. Maybe Seth plays the 2 I really don't know but we don't reap the benefits for 2 years. All of that is speculating that we actually get him to transfer here. My guess if he's planning to transfer he already has a destination and has already talked to that coach. Oops, NCAA violation.

badger
3/25/2009, 09:10 AM
His older brother played ok against us. I know that brothers aren't genetic copies of each other, but just sayin'. My guess is Stephen is frustrated with missing the tourney because he's stuck in Davidson and told Seth to not get into the same situation.

OUbasketball4life
3/25/2009, 09:15 AM
I think that capel had recruited Stephen curry when he was at vcu. There could be a possible connection but I don't see Seth coming here I think he already has somewhere in mind.

sooner518
3/25/2009, 09:19 AM
someone on ESPN commented "If Jeff Capel goes to Virginia, Seth will go to Virginia"

hahahahahhahahahaha Virginia!? haha right.

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 09:43 AM
badger I have to agree with the fact that Seth's sees what happens when you don't win your conference tourney at a mid-major.

oumartin
3/25/2009, 10:02 AM
Nope, don't see him coming here.

besides, our #1 priority this offseason is to keep our coach!

Hear that Sooner04!!!!

Yep, I'm stirring it up again.

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 10:08 AM
Why because we might lose him to Georgia or Virginia. Doubtful. It may be closer to home, but you have 3 MDAA's on your team next year for the first time ever at OU and neither Georgia or Virginia are tradition schools, so he ain't goin nowhere.

badger
3/25/2009, 10:30 AM
So...um... are any of our players planning to transfer? Any inklings about any of them headed out. The fact that there's gonna be more Mickie D's All-Americans coming in next year might make some of them a little queasy about their playing time.

stoopified
3/25/2009, 11:24 AM
So...um... are any of our players planning to transfer? Any inklings about any of them headed out. The fact that there's gonna be more Mickie D's All-Americans coming in next year might make some of them a little queasy about their playing time.Anything COULD happen but I'm not too worried about defections.Cade and Crocker are key players and Oklahoma boys(Cade -Elk City,Crocker originally from Lawton).Orlando Allen while not playing much this year has been praised on numerous occassions by Capel for hard work and talent,I think he knows how highly Jeff thinks of him.Patiilo only has one year left,so where would hego and why? Ryan Wright has already transferred once,and will be a senior next year,so like Patiilo where would he go and why?Willis could still end up getting the boot BUT my thinking is that Ray and Jeff have an understanding and things will work out.Basically my reasoning is IF Willis was getting the boot he would have already got it and if he wanted to leave he would have done so by now.None of this is written in stone however because of course we ARE talking about kids .

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 11:31 AM
If Pledger comes in and passes Willis then I think he may transfer and I could see Pledger being able to do that with his skill set.

Dio
3/25/2009, 04:09 PM
WTF is a CollegeInsider.com tournament?

badger
3/25/2009, 04:23 PM
WTF is a CollegeInsider.com tournament?

The CIT is the new CBI - an invitation tourney in the postseason for those left out of the NIT and NCAA tourneys.

A-M
3/25/2009, 04:53 PM
The CIT is the new CBI - an invitation tourney in the postseason for those left out of the NIT and NCAA tourneys.

This is not correct! The CBI still happens. The CIT is a new tourney this year so there are 4 postseason tourneys for basketball. If a team does not make it into the NCAA, then they have the NIT. If they don't make it to the NCAA or the NIT, then they have ther CBI. If they don't make it to either the NCAA, NIT or CBI, then they may get invited to the CIT. After that, they are not going to get invited to anything but the sand lot hoop tourney.

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 04:55 PM
It's ruining colleg basketball. No offense to Barack's brother-in-law and the other other OSU, but you make a tourney when your 15-17.

badger
3/25/2009, 04:58 PM
This is not correct! The CBI still happens. The CIT is a new tourney this year so there are 4 postseason tourneys for basketball. If a team does not make it into the NCAA, then they have the NIT. If they don't make it to the NCAA or the NIT, then they have ther CBI. If they don't make it to either the NCAA, NIT or CBI, then they may get invited to the CIT. After that, they are not going to get invited to anything but the sand lot hoop tourney.

Just cuz pink is the new black doesn't mean that black doesn't exist anymore ;)

I meant that CIT is a new postseason tourney, much like CBI was the new tourney last year.

Also, to correct your assessment of the CBI and CIT, I think it goes NCAA first, then the NIT, CBI and CIT all try to get the remaining schools out there. My guess is the pecking order for schools would be nit, then cbi, then cit, but the invite tourneys all try to invite the top schools, then the schools choose where to participate, if at all.

royalfan5
3/25/2009, 05:07 PM
Just cuz pink is the new black doesn't mean that black doesn't exist anymore ;)

I meant that CIT is a new postseason tourney, much like CBI was the new tourney last year.

Also, to correct your assessment of the CBI and CIT, I think it goes NCAA first, then the NIT, CBI and CIT all try to get the remaining schools out there. My guess is the pecking order for schools would be nit, then cbi, then cit, but the invite tourneys all try to invite the top schools, then the schools choose where to participate, if at all.

NCAA member schools are required to accept NCAA and NIT invations now that both are NCAA properties. After that it is a free for all.

badger
3/25/2009, 05:34 PM
you sure? teams have turned down nit bids in the past if they don't feel like playing anymore... or budgetary reasons.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2009, 05:38 PM
you sure? teams have turned down nit bids in the past if they don't feel like playing anymore... or budgetary reasons.

The NCAA only bought the NIT a few years ago.

badger
3/25/2009, 05:52 PM
I heard that in the original year big-name schools turned down the NIT in favor of the CBI during its inaugural year (last year, when Tulsa won it). Does anyone have a link where it states that the NIT and NCAA tourney bids are forced on teams who want to play in the postseason?

The NCAA took over the NIT in 2006 to get out of a lawsuit. I remember that well.

royalfan5
3/25/2009, 06:03 PM
I heard that in the original year big-name schools turned down the NIT in favor of the CBI during its inaugural year (last year, when Tulsa won it). Does anyone have a link where it states that the NIT and NCAA tourney bids are forced on teams who want to play in the postseason?

The NCAA took over the NIT in 2006 to get out of a lawsuit. I remember that well.

It's been mentioned repeatedly on broadcasts on multiple networks. Also, the NIT is more lucrative for participant schools than the CBI, so it seems pretty unlikely that a school would want to turndown the NIT for the CBI. They also changed the NIT rules to require an automatic berth for regular season conference champions who do not get an NCAA tourney bid. There is no reason for a school to attempt to tell the NCAA to **** off, to try and take less money and exposure.

8timechamps
3/25/2009, 10:28 PM
I don't mind the NIT (probably because it gives me some decent college hoop to watch when in between NCAA tourney rounds). The rest of them are sad. Much like the current bowl system, where everybody gets a ribbon for playing.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2009, 10:57 PM
And yes, you can turn down an NIT bid. You can turn down an NCAA bid, in fact-that's what teams who give themselves a postseason bad are doing.

You cannot, however, decline an NCAA bid to play in another tournament or play in two postseason tournaments. The NCAA putting in that rule is what led to the NIT fading from its former glory days.

Dio
3/25/2009, 11:08 PM

Soooo...

CIT:Hoops::Arena2:Football

soonerfan28
3/26/2009, 09:11 AM
I don't know how the NIT works, but to play a home game in the CBI you have to cough up $75,000.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/26/2009, 11:31 AM
It wouldn't help next year if we got Curry but I do wonder if we don't need one more combo guard. I feel good enough about WW and TMG sharing duties at the point and even with the Griffins leaving we will have a lot of bigs but I wonder about the 2-3 spots. I think Crocker and Davis are both pretty much 3's. Unless Willis or one of the other recrruits can step in there I think that spot is probably the one that concerns me the most.

colleyvillesooner
3/29/2009, 10:55 PM

And Seth going to Duke benefits us how? ;)

badger
3/30/2009, 07:08 AM
Link to Duke transfer story. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026095)

I didn't put two and two together that Dell Curry was their father... which makes absolutely no sense that they would go to Davidson and Liberty. It seems like all of the big names schools these days pick up former and current professional player's sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc.

You would think that they would want to go to a school that could take them to the tourney all four years, no?

In any event, another dead talent that will ride the bench in favor of Coach K's favorites. :rolleyes:

Eielson
3/30/2009, 07:35 AM
Link to Duke transfer story. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026095)

I didn't put two and two together that Dell Curry was their father... which makes absolutely no sense that they would go to Davidson and Liberty. It seems like all of the big names schools these days pick up former and current professional player's sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc.

You would think that they would want to go to a school that could take them to the tourney all four years, no?

In any event, another dead talent that will ride the bench in favor of Coach K's favorites. :rolleyes:

They weren't getting offers. Steph wanted to go ACC.

badger
3/30/2009, 07:44 AM
They weren't getting offers. Steph wanted to go ACC.

If they weren't getting offers, but knew they were talented enough to play bigtime ball, they should have done what many before them have - juco then transfer, or walk-on to earn the scholly.

I heard Va Tech wanted him as a walk-on... but it must have been hard to not get an offer there since that was Dell's alma mater. It's not like Dell sucked or anything - he was a great outside shooter.

Well, at least he has a daughter. Something tells me Sydell Curry is going to be playing at OU before long. You know, just a hunch :D

soonerfan28
3/30/2009, 08:13 AM
I'm glad to see that Duke got him.