PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse Boards are Confident

Ton Loc
3/24/2009, 11:02 AM
So I’ve been trolling the Cuse boards and seeing what their fans have to say.

They are SUPER confident that the zone is going to give us problems.
Most of them seem to like the “Let Blake get his and shut down everyone else” approach.
They think our team is a 1.5 man team. 1 part Blake and ½ of Willie.
All of them think they will win by +8 points.
They all keep referencing their 2003 run through the BIG12
(They seem to forget we have a different coach/team and they don’t have Warrick or Carmelo or that that was 6 years ago)
They think we can’t guard their outside shooters.
They think Blake hasn’t played any quality big men.
The craziest thing is that they think there is no way we can stop them on defense.

They do have major respect for Blake.
Their worried he could (unfairly) foul out their entire team.
Or
He could just dominate and our shooters could drain shots.

Basically, I’d say 95% of them think this game is a done deal for them.

OUbasketball4life
3/24/2009, 11:16 AM
I have been browsing some boards as well. Alot of people think that Cuse has this won. I laugh when people think we only have Blake and Willie. Cuse lives by the 3 and will die by the 3. Their zone defense is something that I don't cringe about. RJ and AO will have a hard time defending both griffins. I can't wait for this game

A-M
3/24/2009, 11:23 AM
If we play as good as we can, then the game is going to be on our side. However, we have been known to not play as good as we can. I'm not going to count it a win for us or them until it happens. Hopefully, we will be "on" friday and we will walk all over the orange men.

IronHorseSooner
3/24/2009, 11:24 AM
Most of those folks on that board are bored college kids. In Syracuse this time of year, it's still cold and even snowy and they have nothing else to do. Most knowledgeable SU fans are seeing this, at least, as a 50/50 game, or are seeing this as a difficult match up. They are very scared of our inside game, as they should be. A number of them are looking to next year, and what they will have returning.

tommieharris91
3/24/2009, 11:26 AM
What they don't realize is that the zone D is probably the worst way to defend this team. We picked Michigan's zone apart, but they only had 1 good post player. I'd say Syracuse has 2 (Onuaku, Jackson) and 1 other decent big (Ongenaet).

IronHorseSooner
3/24/2009, 12:02 PM
AO and Jackson aren't as much good as they are big. Ongenaet is their energy guy. AO and Jackson aren't laterally quick enough to stay with Blake, which leads to fouls, which leads to GAME OVER. UNC's bigs are a better match up against Blake, but they don't play defense. Another thing about this zone, or any zone for that matter, is rebounding. That's why a zone is not a good match up against our front line. As well, we have bigger guards who can also rebound out of their positions. Again, people are in love with SU's late run. They don't remember that they were limping down the stretch worse than we were, and their conference tourney was in NYC, which has A LOT of SU fans.

soonervegas
3/24/2009, 12:24 PM
They should be confident. They have a good team, but the fact remains OU A game against Syracuse A game means OU advances.

soonerfan28
3/24/2009, 12:32 PM
The Cuse zone will make Taylor Griffin look like an All-American Friday night. No offense to Taylor.

Ton Loc
3/24/2009, 12:33 PM
The Cuse zone will make Taylor Griffin look like an All-American Friday night. No offense to Taylor.

I think Taylor would be cool with that.

badger
3/24/2009, 12:48 PM
So Taylor will look like an All-American, whoever hits all of our threes will look like an All-American, and of course, Blake looks like an All-American just by staring down the camera after dunking.

So just like OSU against Pitt, it'll be like they're facing two or three Blake Griffin's :rolleyes:

soonerfan28
3/24/2009, 01:15 PM
I think that with that defense collapsing on Blake then Taylor will have a chance to get some nice point on the block opposite Blake. If we can get some three's then that would spread that 2-3 out and it will be even easier to get some low post shots, but I'm not counting on that as a constant in this game.

OU_Sooners75
3/24/2009, 01:32 PM
It would be great to see Crocker's slump end against Cuse!

sooner518
3/24/2009, 02:24 PM
simple fact: we have to hit our open 3s or it will be a long day. our 03 team had plenty of good looks from the outside but we couldnt hit the broad side of a barn from outside that game.

soonervegas
3/24/2009, 02:27 PM
simple fact: we have to hit our open 3s or it will be a long day. our 03 team had plenty of good looks from the outside but we couldnt hit the broad side of a barn from outside that game.

true....

7 of 16 from 3 pt range we advance
4 of 16 uh oh

SoonersEnFuego
3/24/2009, 02:36 PM
Michigan uses a 1-3-1 Zone
Syracuse uses a 2-3 Zone

Little bit different.

We need a lot of Griffin to Griffin passing.

soonerfan28
3/24/2009, 02:41 PM
Capel has already said that Blake has to get touches even if we have to force it in there.

StoopTroup
3/24/2009, 03:23 PM
I was posting on a live Michigan Blog during the game. They had a poll that had it a 50-50 game and the rest were split evenly at 25% we win / they win.

Once the game started it turned into mostly about how the refs were screwing them and stuff about Griff and his Mom. I'm betting it would have been much worse had I not been on live chatting with them. I was respectful and didn't throw flames. At the end many wished us well the rest of the way.

Fans will be Fans. Syracuse has a good Team. So do we. I hope we cream them though.

Sooner04
3/24/2009, 03:26 PM
Once Syracuse reaches the bonus, foul Onuaku every time he touches the ball.

Seriously.

sooner2b09
3/24/2009, 03:50 PM
Once Syracuse reaches the bonus, foul Onuaku every time he touches the ball.

Seriously.

Hack a nuak!