PDA

View Full Version : Anti-virus software

StoopTroup
3/24/2009, 10:21 AM
Just realized I need to upgrade or buy new AV protection.

Any of you have advice on what to get right now?

Best bang for the buck or best protection...best overall software?

Any help would be appreciated. I need to do something today.

TIA

ST

yermom
3/24/2009, 11:02 AM
i still pimp the free version of AVG. i haven't had any reason to stop so far

http://free.avg.com

sooner_born_1960
3/24/2009, 11:15 AM
+1. I've used it for years.

BudSooner
3/24/2009, 11:17 AM

+1. I've used it for years.
Same here, never had a problem since i've used it, always did it's job for me.

RacerX
3/24/2009, 11:50 AM
avg or avast

StoopTroup
3/24/2009, 11:54 AM
We tried to buy AVG...they pissed me off already.

We called them about it and got a 3rd party guy that basically just wanted our credit card info. I'm not ecstatic about how they do business so I think we'll try CA.

Still haven't decided yet though.

Thanks Racer and Yermom.

We'll checkout Avast too.

OklaPony
3/24/2009, 11:57 AM
I've had great luck with Trend products. Been using the PC-Cillin stuff for about 10 years on my personal pc's. It's not free but you can demo it for 30 days. www.trendmicro.com

sitzpinkler
3/24/2009, 11:58 AM
no need to buy AVG, just go to avgfree.com and get the downloadable free version

OKLA21FAN
3/24/2009, 11:59 AM

AVG is your friend, trust Yermom on this one.

OhU1
3/24/2009, 12:14 PM
I blew $25 on Norton 2009 only to find out it does not work with XP Professional 64 bit. Best Buy won't take it back.

I downloaded AVG free version and it has been smooth sailing ever since. Pay for software = screwed. Get it free = no problems.

yermom
3/24/2009, 12:38 PM
Norton AND Best Buy?

i could have told you how that story was going to end...

actually, i've had decent customer service dealing with them here in Norman in the past. but i can see them not taking software back. it's kinda hard to prove you didn't just install it, or copy it or something

my biggest knock on them is their prices

StoopTroup
3/24/2009, 01:26 PM
Anyone remember the old days of being treated like a good customer?

If I said it didn't work...you owe me my money back.

Not these days...you guilty of stealing before you get out of the store anymore...lol

Scott D
3/24/2009, 03:23 PM
I use Kaspersky Internet Security. The money I paid went to not only activating the version I downloaded as a trial for 30 days, but bought me a license to put it on up to 4 computers, and they sent me a CD version of it to install on those computers as well. It probably updates it's virus database on my system anywhere between 6 to 15 times per day, and the updates really don't draw on my bandwidth much. I got it on the recommendation of a tech guy I know who is huge on security, I've enjoyed it a great deal.

OhU1
3/24/2009, 05:25 PM
Anyone remember the old days of being treated like a good customer?

If I said it didn't work...you owe me my money back.

Not these days...you guilty of stealing before you get out of the store anymore...lol

Yeah, doesn't seem to work that way with Best Buy. I can't blame them for the most part as I'm sure they get ripped off by all sorts of 15 year old punks.

What I've figured out is the 15 year old punks have a point. Not in the shoplifitng of a product, but you are better off not buying a lot of the goods Best Buy or Amazon sells in the first place. Get AVG free off the internet. Get a burned copy of a movie from a friend for free and share it around. At least the movies and products I don't pay for always work! I've bought three different movies from Amazon that were defective - one did not even have the movie disk inside, another was a bootleg from freaking Thailand (Gangs of New York in Thai). Why be legit with buying something the old fashion legal way when it's too often defective and the store won't give me my money back? Live and learn.

Frozen Sooner
3/24/2009, 05:35 PM
That's really bizarre. I've bought literally several hundred DVDs, BDs, and CDs from Amazon and Best Buy and never once got anything other than what was advertised on the box. You sure you didn't buy on Amazon Marketplace?

OhU1
3/24/2009, 06:23 PM
That's really bizarre. I've bought literally several hundred DVDs, BDs, and CDs from Amazon and Best Buy and never once got anything other than what was advertised on the box. You sure you didn't buy on Amazon Marketplace?

I think the bootleg from Thailand was an Amazon Marketplace purchase. I bought Goodfellas from Amazon a few years ago to have in my collection. I opened this sealed shrink wrapped box last week to watch and found that the 2 disk collector's set only had the same "special features" disk twice. No movie. I can return it and get 50% back. What a pain in the ***. Partially my fault for not opening and inspecting right away I guess. I'm satisfied that Amazon is meeting me half way and giving 50%. What I'm not satisfied with is the DVD manufacturers. Last month I opened a sealed "Saw II" DVD which froze an hour into the movie (no real loss there). Maybe I've had bad luck but that's a lot of fail for new sealed DVDs.

Frozen Sooner
3/24/2009, 06:29 PM
Gotcha. Yeah, that sounds like that's on the manufacturer. The problem could also be with your player, though-how old is it? The lasers in those things do wear out over time.

Edit: not trying to be a BB or Amazon apologist or trying to say you're full of **** or anything. I'm always taken a bit aback when people complain about these companies, because I usually get excellent service from them. Everyone's mileage can vary, though.

KC//CRIMSON
3/24/2009, 06:30 PM
Avast

and also download Malwarebytes.

You can find both of them online for free......

OhU1
3/24/2009, 06:44 PM
I'm always taken a bit aback when people complain about these companies, because I usually get excellent service from them. Everyone's mileage can vary, though.

I put it down to bad luck. I know that the normal fail rate must be low with a mfg. DVD but when you draw the short straw 2 times in two months it's too much.

The Goodfella's no movie in the package deal pissed me off. But I was not upset at Amazon. But who would think they would need to check a sealed DVD? I opened it when I was in the mood to watch the movie again. Not Amazon's fault on that. I am happy they are giving me 50% back.

soonerboomer93
3/24/2009, 08:08 PM
last time i check, avast and avgfree had some of the lowest detection rates and highest memory usage. I found several virus files on my friends computer that avg missed, tried it on avast and it couldn't clean the trojans.

(the paid versions perform better though)

I'm using kaspersky now

Curly Bill
3/24/2009, 08:23 PM
I started using AVG after a lot of you were going on about it. No complaints so far.

Scott D
3/25/2009, 02:41 PM
last time i check, avast and avgfree had some of the lowest detection rates and highest memory usage. I found several virus files on my friends computer that avg missed, tried it on avast and it couldn't clean the trojans.

(the paid versions perform better though)

I'm using kaspersky now

note that is now two happy kaspersky users in this thread.

StoopTroup
3/25/2009, 02:49 PM
note that is now two happy kaspersky users in this thread.

$49.99 for one user computer for a year. Pretty competitive and if it doesn't use as much of your operating system...even better. AVG does slow mine down when it's scanning.

IB4OU
3/25/2009, 06:56 PM
Free - go with AVG
Pay - Kaspersky or Eset Nod32.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2009, 07:00 PM
Warning on AVG-it's a bitch and a half to uninstall it if you want to go with other software. AVG does have a tool that will take care of it, which they offer for free download from their site. Took me a couple of hours of yelling at my computer to finally get it figured out though.

KC//CRIMSON
3/25/2009, 07:09 PM
I got tired of AVG wanting to update every single hour. Thing is, it kept wanting to update the same file over and over again. I finally said F it, and got Avast.

No complaints so far.......

Scott D
3/25/2009, 08:42 PM
Warning on AVG-it's a bitch and a half to uninstall it if you want to go with other software. AVG does have a tool that will take care of it, which they offer for free download from their site. Took me a couple of hours of yelling at my computer to finally get it figured out though.

Actually the simple way to do that is to be registry literate. It leaves about 3 markers in the registry that block other AV's from installing. Once you go in there and take them out, it's easy peasy.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2009, 08:56 PM
Actually the simple way to do that is to be registry literate. It leaves about 3 markers in the registry that block other AV's from installing. Once you go in there and take them out, it's easy peasy.

Why thank you, Scott. I appreciate your advice on this issue. I haven't learned how to regedit on Vista as yet, couldn't find instructions with a websearch, and then when I downloaded Iolo's system tools to do it Iolo couldn't clean it off the registry.

However, rather than going in and editing the registry, I took 10 seconds to download a program that cleaned up the issue in about 20 seconds. But I'm sure regedit is much simpler. Thanks.

;)

Scott D
3/25/2009, 09:32 PM
Heh, when I had to look up how to get rid of it's markers the first thing I came across was about the regedit. Plus I was talking to a techie when I was going through the process :)

sooner_born_1960
3/26/2009, 09:13 AM
I haven't learned how to regedit on Vista as yet... A magnetized needle and a very steady hand.

Scott D
3/26/2009, 12:46 PM
A magnetized needle and a very steady hand.

I was thinking a rosary, a priest, some holy water and the virgin mary.

soonerboomer93
3/26/2009, 09:45 PM
Why thank you, Scott. I appreciate your advice on this issue. I haven't learned how to regedit on Vista as yet, couldn't find instructions with a websearch, and then when I downloaded Iolo's system tools to do it Iolo couldn't clean it off the registry.

However, rather than going in and editing the registry, I took 10 seconds to download a program that cleaned up the issue in about 20 seconds. But I'm sure regedit is much simpler. Thanks.

;)

I'm suprised Iolo couldn't clean it, it normally does a good job on most stuff. Glad you got it going though.

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2009, 10:04 PM
Heh. By the time I was done messing with Iolo, it was like 11:00 here. I figured calling you and telling you it didn't work at 2am wasn't cool.

Scott D
3/27/2009, 01:35 PM
I woulda woke his stay puft marshmallow man avatar having *** up. :D

soonerboomer93
3/27/2009, 01:43 PM
hey, i told him to also try the avg site

I knew it did some ****ed up stuff trying to reinstall it, i just could remember what

besides, Iolo does some decent **** to the system, so just running it once handy