PDA

View Full Version : Postseason College bball is becoming like the bowl season

Collier11
3/23/2009, 11:53 PM
Its not as big of a deal I guess since there are over 300 D1 bball schools but we now have the:

Ncaa Tourney
NIT
CBI- Started last season
http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/index_main.htm
CIT-I hadnt even heard of this til tonight
http://www.collegesports-fans.com/ncaa-tournament/cit-basketball-tournament.html

soonervegas
3/24/2009, 10:26 AM
I wish they would just expand the NCAA a little and dump these other tourneys outside of the NIT. A NCAA tourney with 80 teams (Top 4 seeds get 1st round byes) and the NIT at 32 would be perfect. You are still only rewarding 33% of the schools, much less than the 50% of football schools.

**The reason I want an expanded NCAA is that is is obvious with so few at large bids the mid majors are done getting those bids unless they do something miraculous. They used to get 10-12 now they are getting 4-6 per year**

Collier11
3/24/2009, 10:29 AM
I have no problem with your idea but I prefer the tourney stay where it is...65 is plenty

soonermix
3/24/2009, 10:45 AM
nobody cares about those other tournaments unless your team is in them... kinda like the toilet.com bowl
so i don't have a problem with them
let the kids have some fun

badger
3/24/2009, 11:05 AM
Let us pro and con this postseason setup, shall we?

Pro: It takes the power of human and computer polls away from determining the champion.

Con: There are three (four, if you count this "CIT" that I never heard till now either) teams that are "champion" at the end of the season.

Pro: More than 100 teams, schools, fanbases, etc. get to participate in some form of postseason tournament with a wide variety of mainstream schools, private schools and smaller schools competing together.

Con: All postseason tournaments are done by selection committee, which all seem have strong favoritism toward larger schools with larger fanbases and traditionally popular teams, regardless of comparative strength of schedule, RPI, etc.

Pro: Automatic bids are given to teams that have earned their way into the postseason by winning their respective conference regular season titles, or postseason tournaments, ensuring that at least one rep from each conference will be included.

Con: There is no limit to how many teams from each conference can compete in the postseason, inevitably leading to powerhouse conferences having more representation in the postseason, giving select conferences more national television exposure and other benefits of postseason play.

Pro: Everyone likes filling out a bracket more than than trying to dissect which way the BCS computer will point from one week to the next.

Con: Money, money, money! How many bracket pools can YOU enter? Better yet, let's pay pimply-faced freshman a few hundred to point shave the game they're heavily favored. Cha-ching, it's a bracket buster!

Any other pro/con thoughts?

RonMexico7
3/24/2009, 11:55 AM
the ncaa tournament is the greatest sporting event of the year. quit bitching.