PDA

View Full Version : The Coen brothers to bring True Grit back to the silver screen

BudSooner
3/23/2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40528

If anyone can pull this off, it has to be them.
Who would you like to see as the characters? Call it strange casting but, Robert Duvall always has been excellent in western and since he was Ned Pepper...it would be almost perfect to see him playing Rooster.
Trying to remake a movie like this, though staying true to the book is pretty heavy stuff...hell it's John Wayne's biggest movie for crying out loud.

I hope it's not ****ed up, the original is in my top 5 favorite movies all time.

How long before we see other Wayne classics brought back?

Tulsa_Fireman
3/23/2009, 12:33 PM
Why?

The old one stands just fine on its own.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 01:17 PM
Kinda irritated about this, as it pushes The Yiddish Policeman's Union back, and I'd really like to see that adapted.

BudSooner
3/23/2009, 03:09 PM
Kinda irritated about this, as it pushes The Yiddish Policeman's Union back, and I'd really like to see that adapted.
I still think that gets made first, since it was proposed before this unless the studio gets involved and wants to push it.
But the Coen brothers do have alot of pull, we will see.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 03:27 PM
Variety claims they've pushed YPU back for this.

RacerX
3/23/2009, 03:34 PM
Remake the ****ty movies. Make them better.

Quit ****ing around with the classics.

soonerinabilene
3/23/2009, 08:09 PM
Tommy Lee Jones for Rooster
Edward Norton for Ned.
Keira Knightly or Natalie Portman for the girl.

Lott's Bandana
3/23/2009, 09:02 PM
Tommy Lee Jones for Rooster
Edward Norton for Ned.
Keira Knightly or Natalie Portman for the girl.

Samuel L. Jackson for Rooster
Ice Cube for Ned.
Jada Pinkett Smith for the girl.

in

Tru Dat Grit

A Sooner in Texas
3/23/2009, 09:24 PM
Ice Cube for Ned.

in

Tru Dat Grit

That's awesome.

Though I do have a hard time picturing a remake of this classic (which I love partly because it starts off at Dardanelle, Ark. near my mom's hometown of Russellville and travels to the breathtakingly beautiful mountains (?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!) of eastern Oklahoma), maybe the Coen Bros. are just the ones to do it justice. Don't know who I'd pick as Rooster and Ned but I could see the chick from Juno as the girl.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/23/2009, 09:47 PM
Coen Brothers > John Wayne.

John Wayne was pretty much the same John Wayne as in any movie, just with an eyepatch and a decent script.

Wayne robbed Dustin Hoffman (in Midnight Cowboy) of Best Actor Oscar.... one of the greatest crimes in Academy History.

BudSooner
3/23/2009, 09:57 PM
That's awesome.

Though I do have a hard time picturing a remake of this classic (which I love partly because it starts off at Dardanelle, Ark. near my mom's hometown of Russellville and travels to the breathtakingly beautiful mountains (?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!) of eastern Oklahoma), maybe the Coen Bros. are just the ones to do it justice. Don't know who I'd pick as Rooster and Ned but I could see the chick from Juno as the girl.

My wifes grandparents on her moms side were from Russelville/Dover...nice town, love the lake there.

KC//CRIMSON
3/23/2009, 09:58 PM
Ice Cube for Ned.

in

Tru Dat Grit

Post of the day right there.

A Sooner in Texas
3/23/2009, 10:10 PM
My wifes grandparents on her moms side were from Russelville/Dover...nice town, love the lake there.

Showing my age here, but I remember when Lake Dardanelle was nothing but farmland. It really is a beautiful lake.

BudSooner
3/23/2009, 11:19 PM
Showing my age here, but I remember when Lake Dardanelle was nothing but farmland. It really is a beautiful lake.

Construction on Dardanelle Lock, Dam, and Powerhouse began in June,1957 and was not completed until November,1969. Total project cost, $82,300,000. Construction on Arthur V. Ormond Lock and Dam was begun in January, 1966 and completed in November, 1969 with costs at $32,200,000.
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/geosciences/CT/TIG/WEBSITES/LOCAL/Spring2002/Katherine_Bowen/Dardanelle%20Dam.html

I had no idea it had been around that long.

A Sooner in Texas
3/23/2009, 11:26 PM
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/geosciences/CT/TIG/WEBSITES/LOCAL/Spring2002/Katherine_Bowen/Dardanelle%20Dam.html

I had no idea it had been around that long.

I remember the farmland around 1964...around the same time I-40 was heading that way, which shaved a good two hours off our drive from Bartlesville a few years later. Longest drive in the world with me stuck in the middle of the back seat between my bro and sis, while my parents both smoked...with the windows closed. *cough*

There are a few "mountains" over there (like Mt. Nebo), but certainly not like anything pictured in the movie.

Spent many fun hours boating on that lake.

Jacie
3/24/2009, 07:34 AM
If the do a remake and the setting is once more Indian Territory, I hope they don't try to pass off the San Juan Mountains and the Cimarron Range as Eastern Oklahoma . . .

MrJimBeam
3/24/2009, 07:54 AM
I could see the chick from Juno as the girl.

That would be reason #1 on what I'm sure would be a long list of reasons not to see this movie.

RacerX
3/24/2009, 09:20 AM
Coen Brothers > John Wayne.

John Wayne was pretty much the same John Wayne as in any movie, just with an eyepatch and a decent script.

Wayne robbed Dustin Hoffman (in Midnight Cowboy) of Best Actor Oscar.... one of the greatest crimes in Academy History.

Nope. The Oscars ****ed that up, not Wayne.

There were other performances where the academy could have recognized Wayne, but they waited and waited and felt forced to give him one because he was dying.

And you also just described Clint Eastwood. Pretty much the same guy in every movie.

King Crimson
3/24/2009, 09:24 AM
Pretty much the same guy in every movie.

Tom Cruise.

Lott's Bandana
3/24/2009, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by RacerX http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2594925#post2594925)
Pretty much the same guy in every movie.

Harrison Ford

OU4LIFE
3/24/2009, 09:56 AM
Ice Cube for Ned.

in

Tru Dat Grit

I would have gone with 'Mother****in Grit', but well played anyway.

Lott's Bandana
3/24/2009, 10:00 AM
I would have gone with 'Mother****in Grit', but well played anyway.

:D:D

Directed by the Wayan brothers...

sitzpinkler
3/24/2009, 11:18 AM
Speaking of the Coen brothers, can somebody please tell me what was supposed to be so damn funny about Burn After Reading? Please? I don't get it. In almost every article I've read about this movie the critic says something about Brad Pitt and George Clooney being so damn funny in this movie but I never laughed once at either of them.

The lypo, plastic surgery thing... not funny.
Brad Pitt being overzealous on the treadmill... not funny
Brad Pitt dancing in his car... not funny.
Brad Pitt getting his head blown off by George Clooney... not funny.
Brad Pitt getting punched in the face by John Malkovich... not funny.
The whole nonsense about the stolen "secrets"... not funny.
The online dating thing... not funny.
The dildo chair thing... not funny.
The guy following George Clooney wrecking his car and then saying Tuckman Marsh repeatedly... not funny.
The incompetent CIA angle... almost funny.

The only part I found amusing is when John Malkovich was screaming at the guy from his bank.

Interesting, yeah, I can see it that way. Funny... not at all.

picasso
3/24/2009, 12:47 PM
That's awesome.

you mean them there Tetons ain't nowhere near McAlester?