PDA

View Full Version : Awesome. There's a volcano blowing up near my home.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 02:17 AM
*sigh*

Time to go put a tarp on the car...

SoonerStormchaser
3/23/2009, 05:03 AM
Bah...you all knew about Redoubt for months now.

OUHOMER
3/23/2009, 05:05 AM
Good luck...

Okla-homey
3/23/2009, 06:32 AM
*sigh*

Time to go put a tarp on the car...

WTF are you moving to Alabama? Won't they need you all settled in there by August?

John Kochtoston
3/23/2009, 09:12 AM
Somehow, a tarp just doesn't seem adequate protection against a volcano. 'Course, we don't deal with them much here in Oklahoma, so I really can't speak from any position of authority.

And, no, I don't want to deal with them, either.

Crucifax Autumn
3/23/2009, 09:54 AM
Must be a lead tarp

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 11:04 AM
WTF are you moving to Alabama? Won't they need you all settled in there by August?

I leave August 2. Staying on the job until August 1 so my medical insurance is continuous. Orientation is August 12.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 11:29 AM
Somehow, a tarp just doesn't seem adequate protection against a volcano. 'Course, we don't deal with them much here in Oklahoma, so I really can't speak from any position of authority.

And, no, I don't want to deal with them, either.

The tarp is just to protect the finish from ash fall. We're not getting any lava or mudflows up here.

I'll be taking the bus to work for the next few days.

KC//CRIMSON
3/23/2009, 11:29 AM
I wonder if Palin can see it from her front porch?

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 11:31 AM
Bah...you all knew about Redoubt for months now.

What, exactly, is that supposed to mean? I'm prepared for it-I have plenty of bottled water, breathing masks, etc. Still sucks.

Fortunately, it looks like the ash plume is missing Anchorage right now.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/23/2009, 11:48 AM
Break out your asbestos dry-suit, IPOD and snorkel, and keep plenty of Gatorade around; you'll be good til the lava is spent.

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2009, 11:49 AM
http://www.nocaptionneeded.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/burtturtle_anemi.jpg

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 11:51 AM
I wonder if Palin can see it from her front porch?

Well, the plume is hitting the upper Susitna Valley, so it's passing about 50 miles north of her house in Wasilla. It's entirely possible she can see it from her house.

Okla-homey
3/23/2009, 03:53 PM
I leave August 2. Staying on the job until August 1 so my medical insurance is continuous. Orientation is August 12.

ahhhh. Alabama in August.

Prepare for air so thick with oppressive humidity and intense heat you're Alaskan hide will sweat from pores you didn't know you had. "Gold Bond Powder" is your friend and helps cut down on the chafing.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the tip. Mmmm. Fat guy in the summer heat. That's going to be ATTRACTIVE!

On the bright side, I have my housing squared away already. I'll need to buy a car when I get down there, but one of my step-dad's clients owns a pretty substantial contracting company out of Mobile, so he's offered to let me use one of his trucks until I get settled.

King Crimson
3/23/2009, 04:36 PM
ahhhh. Alabama in August.

Prepare for air so thick with oppressive humidity and intense heat you're Alaskan hide will sweat from pores you didn't know you had. "Gold Bond Powder" is your friend and helps cut down on the chafing.

i'll second the Gold Bond rec. If you are going to wear shoes and socks ever-day and not flip-flops or Reef sandals (that have a bard rubber soul that you can walk in) and you want those shoes to last more than a couple weeks before they start to get pretty gross....i'd rec Gold Bond medicated footpowder in the shoes, shaken, for the 2-3 pair of shoes you are going to rotate....religiously.

old kitchen trick, too.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty big on wearing old-school earth-cookie Birkenstocks when it's warm outside, but I'll definitely keep the Gold Bond around to keep the jumbly bits from chafing.

King Crimson
3/23/2009, 05:35 PM
sucks about the volcano. i live in a 100 year flood plain about 70 yards from my crib. someday...they say. i've got a backpack ready with saltines, peanut butter, water, 300$ cash, swiss army knife, etc.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 05:39 PM
At least you're not in Seattle. That whole place is gonna get wiped out when Ranier finally goes.

Looks like the ash plume is going to totally miss Anchorage unless we get more eruptions.

BudSooner
3/23/2009, 09:51 PM
http://www.crn.com/it-channel/216200268

Damn, sucks to hear that. My aunt/uncle/grandparents were in Washinton when Mt St Helens blew, they said that was some amazing stuff to see....breathe...not so much.
Ya can't breathe it, cars can't run with the stuff floating around, it's hard on electronics...y'all are gonna be in the dark ages till that stuff moves out of there.

Soonerus
3/23/2009, 10:06 PM
Are you going to law school in Alabama ??? wtf...

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 10:30 PM
Yep.

They gave me more money than OU did and their USN&WR ranking is higher than OU's. Checked out T-Town and it's a place I can live. Both Atlanta and Charlotte firms recruit heavily on campus, as do Birmingham and Mobile. Seemed like a good place to spend a few years.

King Crimson
3/23/2009, 10:43 PM
if it weren't for all the driving, I'm a big fan of Atlanta.

Soonerus
3/23/2009, 10:52 PM
Yep.

They gave me more money than OU did and their USN&WR ranking is higher than OU's. Checked out T-Town and it's a place I can live. Both Atlanta and Charlotte firms recruit heavily on campus, as do Birmingham and Mobile. Seemed like a good place to spend a few years.

Mistake...

King Crimson
3/23/2009, 11:08 PM
Mistake...

it's a good move.

you are full of it. he's got his law school paid for. no debt, good law school.

John Kochtoston
3/23/2009, 11:55 PM
It's a good move, if for no other reason than the $$$.