PDA

View Full Version : What, no women's thread?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/22/2009, 11:43 PM
I wasn't able to watch the opening game (with Prairie View). I thought we would easily handle them, but wanted to hear any discussion of the controversial remarks made by Bubba Paris about Sherri having to deliver a championship with his darlings on her squad. Was anything said about that, or Courtney's proclamation of paying off OU for her scholarship if we don't win?

badger
3/23/2009, 07:33 AM
Oh, all right then :D

The biggest complaint I have about this game was that it wasn't in high definition. I meant, what the hell, ESPN?! The OU women's team is the ONLY game in town here and it gets stuck on ESPNU?! So anyways, because of my fuzzy 200-level channel screen, my memory of the game is equally fuzzy :rolleyes:

I was happy to see multiple players get good 3's up and away. Whitney Hand continues to struggle due to her injury, which I imagine can be frustrating. However, Hand, Vining and Roethis....CARLY and Robinson (or Stevenson?) all had at least one 3 during the game, so there's a backup plan if her hand doesn't heal completely.

I was also pleased to see so many bench players getting playing time. Willis, the notorious Christmas "gift" scholarship recipient, actually got into the game and had the entire bench up when she stole the ball in the final seconds to miss a three as time expired :( Ah well, she still got in the game, at least, as did EVERYone (even Winchester)... oh wait, was Amanda Thompson still out? Yeah, I think she was :(

Part of getting EVERYone playing time including Abi Olajuwon, which is good to see, after all, the Paris twins graduate next year and she needs as much experience as possible. She did quite well, also, granted, it was against Prairie View A&M.

For women's basketball gurus out there, you may recall the name of the PV A&M coach: Cynthia Cooper. Back when the NBA was trying to get the WNBA going, she was the focus of a lot of their marketing campaigns and led the now-defuct Houston Comets to several titles.

The only problem (other than lack of high def) I foresee out of this game was the fact that there were still SO many unforced turnovers - and against a really, really awful team to boot. For the record, those pre-tourney fears of playing Iowa on their home court are officially over - Georgia Tech beat Iowa last night to become our next opponent - so there you have it. We will play the lady stinger bees (or whatever) next.

No idea on game time, but it's gonna be on Tuesday night... hopefully on regular ESPN and not that cwappy ESPNU.

3/23/2009, 10:29 AM
Oh, all right then :D

The biggest complaint I have about this game was that it wasn't in high definition. I meant, what the hell, ESPN?! The OU women's team is the ONLY game in town here and it gets stuck on ESPNU?! So anyways, because of my fuzzy 200-level channel screen, my memory of the game is equally fuzzy :rolleyes:

I was happy to see multiple players get good 3's up and away. Whitney Hand continues to struggle due to her injury, which I imagine can be frustrating. However, Hand, Vining and Roethis....CARLY and Robinson (or Stevenson?) all had at least one 3 during the game, so there's a backup plan if her hand doesn't heal completely.

I was also pleased to see so many bench players getting playing time. Willis, the notorious Christmas "gift" scholarship recipient, actually got into the game and had the entire bench up when she stole the ball in the final seconds to miss a three as time expired :( Ah well, she still got in the game, at least, as did EVERYone (even Winchester)... oh wait, was Amanda Thompson still out? Yeah, I think she was :(

Part of getting EVERYone playing time including Abi Olajuwon, which is good to see, after all, the Paris twins graduate next year and she needs as much experience as possible. She did quite well, also, granted, it was against Prairie View A&M.

For women's basketball gurus out there, you may recall the name of the PV A&M coach: Cynthia Cooper. Back when the NBA was trying to get the WNBA going, she was the focus of a lot of their marketing campaigns and led the now-defuct Houston Comets to several titles.

The only problem (other than lack of high def) I foresee out of this game was the fact that there were still SO many unforced turnovers - and against a really, really awful team to boot. For the record, those pre-tourney fears of playing Iowa on their home court are officially over - Georgia Tech beat Iowa last night to become our next opponent - so there you have it. We will play the lady stinger bees (or whatever) next.

No idea on game time, but it's gonna be on Tuesday night... hopefully on regular ESPN and not that cwappy ESPNU.Thanks. I was beginning to think nobody saw this game. No comments made regarding the proclamations made by the paris family?

badger
3/23/2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks. I was beginning to think nobody saw this game. No comments made regarding the proclamations made by the paris family?

I thought that it was discussed enough in the other thread about Bubba already, but like the tag under my username says, CP3 is keepin' the scholly... but in the unlikely chance that she doesn't, like I almost-entirely said in the Bubba thread, if there isn't a championship after all these Paris-filled years, I think Sherri Coale will take responsibility.

I wonder if most of our area couldn't see the game because it was on ESPNU? This is a baaaaaaaaaaad oversight by Cox and by ESPN, to not recognize the audience that OU women's basketball would attract to their main, high-def stations.

jumperstop
3/23/2009, 11:07 AM
i watched it on espn2 here in norman on cox, so it should have been on the espn2 hd channel.

badger
3/23/2009, 11:10 AM
:mad: stupid ESPNU. i'd rather watch that florida woman talk about thai-lulz and say "go gator" over and over than have to endure another OU game on that channel.

sooner59
3/23/2009, 12:34 PM
That game against Prairie View was atrocious. Nobody took care of the ball...turnovers every 15 seconds...poor guard shooting, etc. If I see one more of our players have a fast break, then overrun the basket while barely being defended and just throw the ball up over their head and hit the bottom side of the rim, I am just going to change the channel. I like Ashley Paris, Stevenson, and Roethlisberger's play for the most part. I still haven't seen Courtney Paris jump enough for her feet to leave the ground either shooting or rebounding. She seems to be the lone sibling (Griffins and Paris twins) to not have worked hard in the offseason. Whitney Hand didn't shoot well, but she just needs to get back in the groove after the injury and she should be fine. We will also be better if we can get Thompson back. This team has the potential to beat anyone in the tournament aside from UCONN IMO. I have not seen them play on the level to beat UCONN yet. But if they play like they did yesterday, they will be lucky to win the the next round and likely will not make it past the sweet 16. Hopefully they start playing like they are capable of playing. If they do, they still have several games to play in the tournament.

badger
3/23/2009, 01:37 PM
That game against Prairie View was atrocious. Nobody took care of the ball...turnovers every 15 seconds...
We nearly broke even this game - PV had 17 turnovers, we had 18... and I know that isn't a positive at all.

poor guard shooting, etc. If I see one more of our players have a fast break, then overrun the basket while barely being defended and just throw the ball up over their head and hit the bottom side of the rim, I am just going to change the channel.
We should nickname that shot the BONK! You know, when the player doesn't realize they're directly under the basket and when they toss it up, it just BONKs the bottom of the rim and the ball retreats helplessly to the ground. BONK! Ugh...

This team has the potential to beat anyone in the tournament aside from UCONN IMO.
Well, if Ball State can beat Tennessee in the first weekend, can we hold out hope that the machine that is UConn can also get eliminated early?

Sooner04
3/23/2009, 02:08 PM
My kingdom for a women's bball forum.

ouleaf
3/23/2009, 02:14 PM
Well with the NIT going on on ESPN, as well as NBA basketball, World Baseball Classic, etc, I'm guessing most of their HD cameras we tied up between those mediums and not the Women's NCAA tourney. Not really sure if it makes sense to use an HD camera at an event that not many people are going to watch, relatively speaking.

I think I caught one women's tourney game and I swear it seemed like there were more people on the floor (players, coaches, scorer's table, cheerleaders, etc.) then there were in the stands.

3/23/2009, 02:22 PM
Well with the NIT going on on ESPN, as well as NBA basketball, World Baseball Classic, etc, I'm guessing most of their HD cameras we tied up between those mediums and not the Women's NCAA tourney. Not really sure if it makes sense to use an HD camera at an event that not many people are going to watch, relatively speaking.

I think I caught one women's tourney game and I swear it seemed like there were more people on the floor (players, coaches, scorer's table, cheerleaders, etc.) then there were in the stands.Maybe with UConn expecting to dominate, some of the steam is gone from the fan base of the other schools...that and the dying economy.

A-M
3/23/2009, 02:43 PM
I really do enjoy watching the ladies play. I will watch several of their games just because I like them better then watching the men. I too think we didn't play very well. We did win the game, but should have by about 50 instead of the 30 points that we did make. They had better do better tomorrow night, or they will be headed back to Norman until next season.

SeattleOUstudent
3/23/2009, 02:43 PM
Is there any way UCONN doesnt win this thing? I mean, Id love to see someone knock them out before we get the chance, but I dont see that happening at all.

Remembering Tom Stidham
3/23/2009, 07:50 PM
Did Bubba Paris really criticize Sherri?

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 08:33 PM
Carlee Rothlisberger is reason enough to watch anything. Yum.

Too bad her brother's a d-bag.

BudsBoy
3/23/2009, 09:29 PM
i watched it on espn2 here in norman on cox, so it should have been on the espn2 hd channel.

It was not on ESPN 2 it was on the ESPNU channel in Norman COX.

tommieharris91
3/23/2009, 09:52 PM
It was on ESPN2 in Tulsa. :P

badger
3/24/2009, 07:40 AM
Ok, beyonces, I think I figured it out - it was ESPN 2 Standard Definitiion, but on the ESPN 2 High def channel, they are doing something incredibly lame called "Whip around coverage," where they try to show you two seconds of every second game going on. Yet another reason to be thankful that ESPN does not have control of the men's tourney... yet...

Anyway, such will be the case tonight (with less games to compete with) when OU returns to action against Georgia Tech (whom insider sources inform me we should have no trouble with) at 8:30 p.m. Oklahoma time on ESPNU (boo), ESPN 2 Standard Def, and ESPN 2 HD momentarily before they switch to a crappier game at some point for "whip around coverage."

You can see the Lady Jackets (Yellow Lady Jackets? Queen Bees? Chick Stingers?) stats here (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/clubhouse?teamId=59), but here's a brief version: They lost to Texas earlier this season by 10, are 22-9 overall and 8-6 in the ACC. In the second game of the season, they lost at UConn by 11. Their only win that sticks out to me is over UNC at home by 4. Their most comparable game, against third ranked Maryland at home, they lost by 8 late in the season.

So anyway, they won't be PV A&M pushover, but we should beat them.