PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a flashback to 1999 at the end of the Mizzou-Marquette game?

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2009, 08:25 PM
Or am I misremembering Jason Terry pulling the exact same dumbass stunt?

NMSooner'80
3/23/2009, 09:38 AM
Or am I misremembering Jason Terry pulling the exact same dumbass stunt?

Right game, wrong Wildcat (but, that was 10 years ago). It was Michael Wright.

Folks in Albuquerque celebrated that OU win over Arizona almost as much as OU fans did, because of how Arizona whined about losing to UNM in the Pit earlier in the season. It also marked one of many UofA losses in the NCAA to teams with a seed in the teens.

TopDawg
3/23/2009, 05:20 PM
Terry was the one who missed the last second shot that would've won it.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 05:21 PM
My bad. Coulda sworn it was Jason Terry that stepped on the line.

Plus, nobody on Missouri touched the ball in the cylinder this year. ;)

TopDawg
3/23/2009, 05:25 PM
That was a crazy game indeed. I was lucky enough to be TD at that one.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 05:29 PM

I remember listening to the game on the radio-I was working at the Norwest Financial home office at the time, so the radio had to be right against the window.

Anyhow, mainly because of that game (and the win over Charlotte, right?) I ended up taking 2nd in the company pool. Something like 150 participants.

Also, that run to the Sweet 16 prompted Kelvin's best-ever interview. Right in the middle, you can distincly hear a flush. Dude was taking a leak while answering questions from the media.

King Crimson
3/23/2009, 05:43 PM
Terry was the one who missed the last second shot that would've won it.

not with Alex Spaulding up in his stuff, he wasn't going to make it.

TopDawg
3/23/2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah, Alex did a great job on him that game. He also had a really good game against UNC-Charlotte and Michigan State. He started to come into his own late in that season...then transfered.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 06:13 PM
I thought he either quit or got kicked off the team.

King Crimson
3/23/2009, 06:15 PM
I thought he either quit or got kicked off the team.

i was being a little sarcastic about Alex, but he did hold NBA player Jason Terry to 12 or 14 points or something. he hit some big 3's for us too.

my recollect is that he quit the team and joined the Army, ?

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 06:22 PM
There were quite a few players in that span of OU history who just didn't work out the way they were supposed to. They all contributed, but they just didn't seem to ever put things together. Like Kelly Newton. That guy was supposed to be a long-range gunner like nobody'd ever seen. He'd get hot every now and then, but what'd he finish his career behind the arc? 40%?

TopDawg
3/23/2009, 06:22 PM
Maybe that's what it was. Didn't he quit and then rejoin the team right before the season too?

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 06:25 PM
That's what I was thinking-that he had actually been kicked off the team before the season and worked his way back on.

I remember when he was recruited he had scored some ridiculous amount of points in high school in North Carolina.

Should have figured somethign was up when a guy who's a hoop legend in NC doesn't wind up on Tobbacco Road.

TopDawg
3/23/2009, 06:25 PM
If I remember right, Newton was actually a slasher...maybe Corey Brewerish...but he 'sploded his knee at Midnight Madness in his first year and had to become more of a spot-up shooter.

Kelly was easily the nicest player I ever met while I was with the team...and that's saying a lot, cuz Hollis was a great guy too. Kelly even remembered me years later when I ran into him in Norman. That was maybe 2 years ago and he had a business in Norman and was coaching some youth league teams. Great guy.

TopDawg
3/23/2009, 06:26 PM
Speakin' of 'sploded knees and players not panning out the way we hoped, what about Bobby Joe Evans?

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 06:36 PM
It's possible I'm thinking of Eric Martin. In fact, I'm sure I am.

King Crimson
3/23/2009, 06:38 PM
i was living out of state, but that's what they say about Newton. he was a real baller. no one likes to see injury, but he a good season shooting the 3.

Kelvin made a living posting up Eric Martin on other teams guard that year. put a post player on him, EM goes out and shoots the 3.

the 99 team loses 3 of it's last 4 including the Pokes in the conference tournament. Kelvin is on TV begging to be in the tournament on Saturday.

criminy, he's lost 3 of 4 and NEVER won an NCAA game in 5 years. why let him in?

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 06:39 PM
Man. I just remembered we were the last team in the 1999 tournament, too. At least we were the lowest-seeded at-large bid.

Ironic that Arizona has that distinction this year.

okienole3
3/23/2009, 09:23 PM
I have seen Kelly Newton tearing it up at the Y within the last couple of years. Dude can play.

Rhino
3/23/2009, 10:22 PM
my recollect is that he quit the team and joined the Army, ? I'm not sure he ever joined the Army - I think that was just the rumor at the time. I remember seeing him often within the next year at the Y.

It's possible I'm thinking of Eric Martin. In fact, I'm sure I am. Martin was from Louisville. Only Spaulding and J.R. Raymond were from North Carolina.

I remember playing at the Huff against Martin and Michael Johnson. It was not a fair game. Martin, Johnson and three dead weighters vs. five dead weighters. Martin would just hangout three feet behind the three point line and rain down threes all game.

Like Kelly Newton. That guy was supposed to be a long-range gunner like nobody'd ever seen. He'd get hot every now and then, but what'd he finish his career behind the arc? 40%? 42.0% for his career, 43.4% his senior year in 2001.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 10:33 PM
I'm not sure he ever joined the Army - I think that was just the rumor at the time. I remember seeing him often within the next year at the Y.
Martin was from Louisville. Only Spaulding and J.R. Raymond were from North Carolina.

I remember playing at the Huff against Martin and Michael Johnson. It was not a fair game. Martin, Johnson and three dead weighters vs. five dead weighters. Martin would just hangout three feet behind the three point line and rain down threes all game.
42.0% for his career, 43.4% his senior year in 2001.

The "he" above who I was talking about having scored a ton of points in NC was Spaulding.

GottaHavePride
3/23/2009, 11:15 PM

Holy crap, that was a fun tournament. Being in the band had its perks.

TopDawg
3/23/2009, 11:34 PM
Holy crap, that was a fun tournament. Being in the band had its perks.

Heck yeah it was. That might've been my favorite post-season trip. Who else from SF was in the band at that time?

Remember that crappy Ramada we stayed in? I've mentioned this a few times on SF.com, but did you know that hotel was referenced in a Seinfeld episode? It's The Abstinence episode:

George and Yankees Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams are at the ballpark.

George: Guys, hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics. Calculate the velocity, v, in relation to the trajectory, t, in which g, gravity, of course remains a constant. (Hits a home run) It's not complicated.

Jeter: Now who are you again?

George: George Costanza, assistant to the traveling secretary.

Williams: Are you the guy who put us in that Ramada in Milwaukee?

George: Do you wanna talk about hotels, or do you wanna win some ball games?

Jeter: We won the World Series.

George: In six games.

I saw that episode a few days after returning from St. Louis that year and I just knew they HAD to be talking about the place we stayed.

We were all shocked that we were going to be spending another night there. The cheer sponsor had only given us per diem for that first day so I didn't have much extra cash for the second day, but I needed to "wash the dog" so I got a taxi to take me to a nearby ATM, but it was one of those where you needed a bank card to access the ATM vestibule so I just had the taxi driver take me as close to the laundromat as he could, while still leaving me a few bucks to wash the suit. But you can't dry that thing and I didn't have any more money so I had to walk about 15-20 blocks back to the hotel in cold weather (there was snow on the ground, but thankfully it wasn't TOO cold) carrying a wet dog suit. It was also through a pretty rough part of town, but nobody messed with me...I think they all thought I had just killed a bear.

GottaHavePride
3/23/2009, 11:43 PM
99? I don't think anyone else from SF was in the band back then. Hell, I wasn't even on Soonerfans until about a year and a half after that, when I was sharing a place with PrideTrombone.

Great trip, though. I remember some guys wound up at The Safe House in Milwaukee. I believe one of them had to sing a song while the rest of the guys wore leis and danced like palm trees before they'd let them in the place.

King Crimson
3/23/2009, 11:59 PM
I remember TD used to brag about his dance moves back then. :D

TopDawg
3/24/2009, 09:42 AM
I think I joined SF in 2001, but I thought there were a few other 99 banders (bandees?) around.

I remember TD used to brag about his dance moves back then. :D

Heh. I still do! The best compliment I got was when people found out I was Top Dawg and they'd say "Woah...I thought you were black." But I've got nothing on the dance moves of the ones we've got now.*

*But they can't touch my belly sliding abilities with a ten foot pole. And who in here wouldn't prefer a good belly slide over a nice dance move any day?

King Crimson
3/24/2009, 09:54 AM
what about the belly slide and the ear tugs....was that even doable? at the same time. that would be "cut to commercial" magic.

TopDawg
3/24/2009, 10:24 AM
I could see a belly slide that ended with the ear tugs...but I'd be in awe of someone who could do it simultaneously. It might even deserve a spot on One Shining Moment.

TopDawg
3/24/2009, 10:29 AM
Great trip, though. I remember some guys wound up at The Safe House in Milwaukee. I believe one of them had to sing a song while the rest of the guys wore leis and danced like palm trees before they'd let them in the place.

Ted, Dave, Eric and I went to some bar on the night before the Arizona game. It was a neat place...bottom floor was a bar, second floor was a club...but it was d-e-a-d. There was one other guy in there just nursing his beer.

But then the night after the Arizona game, that's where everybody went. It felt like the entire OU contingent came out to celebrate. Good times.