PDA

View Full Version : Is Blake the best

yukonmiller
3/21/2009, 11:15 PM
To ever wear the Crimson and Cream? I grew up on Wayman and thought it a little strange they let Blake wear his number. Alvin Adams is in the conversation but after these last two games my vote goes to Blake.

Would not be a pretty picture if he left last year.

SoonerObsession
3/21/2009, 11:21 PM
Wayman was better in my opinion. But Blake is definitely up there!

Frozen Sooner
3/21/2009, 11:22 PM
I grew up on Wayman and thought it a little strange they let Blake wear his number.

Blake asked Wayman personally if he could wear the number.

Lott's Bandana
3/21/2009, 11:31 PM
Every generation has an Alvin Adams...

Wayman

Blake

I'm old. I got all three.

the_ouskull
3/21/2009, 11:50 PM
I don't think that, in two years time, Blake has eclipsed everything that Alvin Adams and Wayman accomplished. But, I do think that he's managed to play himself into the conversation.

the_ouskull

boomersooner28
3/22/2009, 12:02 AM
IMO, Blake is the best to play at OU. If he were to stay at OU four years there would be no argument. My wife keeps up with football, but not so much with basketball. She asked me why I was so nervous during the basketball game tonight and I explained that the best basketball player in the history of OU basketball may be playing his last game as a Sooner...and that made me very nervous. I had to explain to her that this is our best chance for a while to go deep in the tourney.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 12:03 AM
I vote for Wayman.

Eielson
3/22/2009, 12:04 AM
This is why you play college ball (basketball or football) and wait for the money. One thing that Carmelo will always have over Lebron is his amazing NCAA tournament run. If Blake had gone pro last year, his reputation as a college basketball player would have been so much less. Not to mention that you appear to learn the fundamentals much better and get a college education.

Eielson
3/22/2009, 12:19 AM
Wayman was First Team All-American three times, Blake was once. Wayman was the three time CPOY, Blake was once. Wayman was the first Freshman to ever be on the AP All-America First Team and first to be named as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior. He also lead us to two conference titles (Blake: 0) and a 70-11 overall record in those two years.

As far as a career goes, I think we have to give it to Wayman right now. As far as one year goes, Blake may have an argument. If Blake wants any chance to win this argument he needs to win a championship this year, or at least get really close. Or, my personal favorite, come back next year.

sooner59
3/22/2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I am young and I love Blake but I have to be true to history and vote for Wayman. I will give Blake #2, but only because I know what his legacy would be if he stayed longer. If Blake was here for 2 more years, I could then do more comparisons, but for now I will go Wayman-Blake-Alvin in that order.

ouwapiti
3/22/2009, 07:31 AM
wayman and alvan were probably better 'all around' post players because they could shoot from 15 feet and play in the low post back to the basket position.....however, that being said, griffin is waaaay more dominant in other areas.....run the floor, power moves etc...........tell you what, stacey king was a pretty dang good low post player.....i used to be amazed how he could use the glass....the ball looked like it was low on air when he shot it off the glass...great touch

IronHorseSooner
3/22/2009, 08:39 AM
Wayman is better, if you look at what he did. Wayman also MADE the program. Before he came to OU, OU was football-only. He got people interested in basketball. In this day and age, it would be hard for any player to do what Wayman did- 3 First Team All American Teams.

Jacie
3/22/2009, 08:50 AM
I was working at OU during the Wayman years and we had an office pool for every b-ball game, picking the spread. You'd pin your prediction to a fabric-covered cubical divider and give a dollar to the person who held the cash. Against one early season OOC opponent, someone jokingly picked OU by 50 points . . . and won.

badger
3/22/2009, 10:18 AM
Tell ya what - if they get the title this year, nod goes to Blake. :)

oumartin
3/22/2009, 10:30 AM
Wayman and sayin' otherwise is ridiculous

fwsooner22
3/22/2009, 11:05 AM
Saw all three many times........It's WT.... saw him get 60 something in the all-college one night.........dude was special ......Alvan Adams was incredible and could play all five positions.......Didn't Alvan leave a year early ?

For me it's 1) WT 2) AA 3) BG

jkjsooner
3/22/2009, 03:54 PM
How do you think Griffin will compare as a pro player? I seem to recall hearing that Adams was a franchise player for a small period of time. I don't remember Tisdale being anything more than a good NBA player.

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 03:58 PM
Mookie was the best IMO.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-baskbl/auto_original/1342939.jpeg

You guys already forget Edjuardo Najera already?

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 04:02 PM
Stacy King? Harvey Grant? I mean if your gonna go back to Alvin Adams...

jkjsooner
3/22/2009, 04:20 PM
Wayman was the three time CPOY, Blake was once.

I'm assuming C=conference and not college since Tisdale was never the NCAA player of the year. Griffin will be POY so he'll definitely have that over Tisdale. Given, Tisdale played in an era of great college players (Sampson, Ewing, Jordan).

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 04:22 PM
wayman and alvan were probably better 'all around' post players because they could shoot from 15 feet and play in the low post back to the basket position.....however, that being said, griffin is waaaay more dominant in other areas.....run the floor, power moves etc...........tell you what, stacey king was a pretty dang good low post player.....i used to be amazed how he could use the glass....the ball looked like it was low on air when he shot it off the glass...great touch

Opps...my bad.

Spek.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/22/2009, 04:27 PM
I think Wayman will be considered the best because he stayed 3 years and I think Wayman was probably better his freshman year.

That said I think I think that if Blake had played in the Billyball days he would have had 3-4 50 pt, 25 rebound games this year. Seriously. I think the way the game is played now unless you shoot 15 3-point shots that it is much tougher for a player to score 30 pts.

Also I think no one at OU, Wayman included has been as good for one year as Blake this year. The fact that you have to look long and hard to find a pundit that doesn't say hands down that Blake is the player of the year speaks to that.

Adams and Mookie were great too...and good NBA players but Blake trumps them at the college level IMO.

So I say Wayman #1 unless Blake leads OU to a title and then it has to be Blake.

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 04:31 PM
Blake isn't going to be the sole reason we win a title. If you think that...we're doomed IMO. He is a great player...but if we're to win it all this year...he's gonna need some help IMO.