PDA

View Full Version : Which do YOU prefer?

boomersooner28
3/21/2009, 10:15 PM
Tony Crocker- Plays great defense I'm told, but couldn't hit space if he fell off of planet Earth.

Or, Cade Davis- plays good defense and can make a jumpshot.

I'm sorry, but Crocker does nothing for me. NOTHING.

oumartin
3/21/2009, 10:21 PM
Davis isn't all that much of a shooter!

boomersooner28
3/21/2009, 10:22 PM
And before you use the "well he shut down so and so", we played Morgan State and Michigan...they dont have any GREAT offensive players.

boomersooner28
3/21/2009, 10:23 PM
Davis isn't all that much of a shooter!

Seriously?

tommieharris91
3/21/2009, 10:23 PM
Cade plays quite the opposite of good defense. Crocker had 6 assists against 1 turnover today. Turnovers have been a big problem for Crocker lately. He also drew 3 fouls on Michigan's best player. Manny Harris is pretty good averaging 17 points a game. Today he had 11 because of Crocker. Lay off him for tonight.

Curly Bill
3/21/2009, 10:24 PM
I'm not happy with either of them.

boomersooner28
3/21/2009, 10:31 PM
Cade plays quite the opposite of good defense. Crocker had 6 assists against 1 turnover today. Turnovers have been a big problem for Crocker lately. He also drew 3 fouls on Michigan's best player. Manny Harris is pretty good averaging 17 points a game. Today he had 11 because of Crocker. Lay off him for tonight.

Ok, Crocker held Manny Harris (whoever the hell that is) 6 points below his average. Fine. What about the point in the second half when we start to pull away (and Blake is dominating inside), Crocker pulls up for a three, bricks it all to hell, which in turn gives Meatchicken a run out for an easy layup and then the next defensive trip down the court, Crocker lets his guy drive right past him for a dunk. It was like Crocker just scored 4 points for the opposition....which is more than he scored for us by the way.

boomersooner28
3/21/2009, 10:34 PM
It just irritates me because I know (we all know) how well Tony CAN play offensively, and if he could somehow find it magicly by next weekend, we could go to Detroit and do damage. He has just lost ALL confidence in live game shots right now.

tommieharris91
3/21/2009, 10:37 PM
Ok, Crocker held Manny Harris (whoever the hell that is) 6 points below his average. Fine. What about the point in the second half when we start to pull away (and Blake is dominating inside), Crocker pulls up for a three, bricks it all to hell, which in turn gives Meatchicken a run out for an easy layup and then the next defensive trip down the court, Crocker lets his guy drive right past him for a dunk. It was like Crocker just scored 4 points for the opposition....which is more than he scored for us by the way.

Uhh he was 4-4 FTs today. :confused: Anyway I don't see how Crocker's brick turning into a dunk was his fault defensively. I also remember Blake passing it out on that possession.

boomersooner28
3/21/2009, 10:39 PM
Crockers brick led to a run out layup. NEXT possession his guy beat him straight to the hole for a dunk.

boomersooner28
3/21/2009, 10:43 PM
Oh, sorry. Crocker did score 4 points. I forgot about those last 2 free throws.

Eielson
3/21/2009, 11:34 PM
And before you use the "well he shut down so and so", we played Morgan State and Michigan...they dont have any GREAT offensive players.

We've played more teams than Morgan State and Michigan this year. Crocker has been our best guard defensively all season. I don't know if you noticed, but against OSU in our last game of the regular season, James Anderson scored 37 or something like that. He absolutely dominated us. The next game he scored 11 or something like that. What was the difference? Crocker was in foul trouble the first game.

As for the "whoever the hell that is" comment about Manny Harris, it doesn't make you look too smart. Manny Harris was All-Big 10 first team and has a chance to be a top 20 draft pick if he comes out this year.

The best team isn't the team with the most big scorers. A good team is one that knows their role. Not everybody's role is to be a big scorer. Crocker hasn't been doing well lately on offense and he knows it. He took 4 shots. He didn't take hardly any shots away from Warren and Blake (the scorers). That isn't to say he didn't do anything offensively, he had 6 assists and only one turnover. Put that with shutting down Manny Harris and he had one heck of a game.

Eielson
3/21/2009, 11:40 PM
Seriously?

Yes, seriously. He may possibly be a good shooter but he hasn't ever shown it. He came in with a reputation as a shooter, but he hasn't ever earned it here at OU. Last year he was shooting 32% and 27.5% from 3. This year he is shooting 38.8% and 35.4% from 3. Crocker has him beat in both categories, both years.

the_ouskull
3/21/2009, 11:46 PM
Crocker isn't a threat offensively at all right now. He's lost all confidence in his shot, and when he does get the ball, it's the ball thing every time. If he catches with someone on him, he stands in triple threat, swings the ball, and then puts it on the floor going right; but never with the intent of going to the basket. If he's open, he jacks it and misses. With him on the floor, we're playing four vs. five on the offensive end, and teams are starting to realize that. Today, it was often Crocker's man helping double Blake. (Hence so many of their guards in foul trouble... although Crocker was doing an amazing job of moving his feet on D and drawing those offensive fouls...)

But, looking a little deeper... When I say Crocker's not an offensive threat, I'm not saying it lightly... Paraphrasing "Team America: World Police," he's not much better than Ben Affleck.

Today, he averaged one field goal attempt per 7.25 minutes, hitting NONE of them. He averaged one point per 7.25 minutes as well, all of them coming from the field. Now, granted, he passed the ball well, with few turnovers, but, at the same time, the way Blake was scoring in the post today, with quick shots, hitting before the double came to him, Crock just happened to be the beneficiary. Also, on the turnover thing, keep in mind he's FAR from our primary ball handler. His play is a large part of the reason Leary's been seeing extended minutes lately.

As for Davis, he averaged one point every two minutes, so I think he's a no-brainer. (Yes, I'm freakin' kidding...)

On the season, Crocker is shooting less than 40%, and his 3pt percentage is slightly lower. He's also attempting 4.5 three-point shots per game. When he was hitting them, nobody minded it so much. But, the problem now isn't that he's missing them, so much as he's continuing to take them, even though he's missing them. What's irking me is that he's only attempting 2 free throws per game. When a shooter isn't shooting well, they should try to get easy looks... ie - free throws and layups. But, since Crocker seems to refuse to try to finish a drive to the basket, and he's not hitting anything from the outside, he's not an offensive threat at all.

For his career, he's averaged more TO's per game than assists, so his play as of late in that department is somewhat promising, but his shooting continues to degrade. It's been doing so for a while now. He's only shot above 50% from the field 11 times this year, and of those 11, only 6 have come in games in which he's attempted more than 8 shots. It's only happened five times since the new year has begun, and only once since February. He's been shooting more and more poorly, and less and less frequently. Couple that with his inability (or lack of desire) to get to the free throw line, and I'd say that it's a lack of confidence. BUT, seeing as he still has the gumption to play solid defense (at times, no, but overall, yes) and many players in his position would not... I say that he continues to start. Apparently Capel sees it the same way.

As for the pro-Davis crew, you may want to check the stats before you start the pimpin'. He's only scored in double-digits five times this season, and three of those came in November. Also, across the board, he's shooting worse percentages than Crocker, and I don't think that anybody would make an argument that he's a better defender.

That's just my extended $0.02.

the_ouskull

sooner59
3/22/2009, 01:32 AM
I starting asking myself this question on thursday and I asked it again today. And after really watching Crocker on defense, I would have to say that I will take him over Cade because he is a force against guards on defense, even if he is a liability on offense these days. Cade may be better off the bench, but I don't think he gets in enough to have the number of looks that he needs IMO.

the_ouskull
3/22/2009, 01:54 AM
I think that, by Cade sitting right now, especially after getting used to getting minutes, it will benefit him in the future. Right now, he's been playing (and shooting, which is supposed to be his strength) like a liability.

I know it's not easy, what these guys do... But THEY have to know that too, and work at their game constantly. Basically, basketball is more than just shooting... and when you're a shooter who is shooting poorly, you can either sulk, and let it have an effect on your all-around game - or you can suck it up, take open shots when you get them, and play solidly in the other aspects of the game. Crocker was a perfect example of that tonight.

the_ouskull

OU_Sooners75
3/22/2009, 02:15 AM
Which do I perfer?

A W!

A Win!

I liked what I saw out of Crocker today. No, he did not hit any FG, but he was a force on the defensive side.

Cade would not have been so good on defense.

Now then. If getting the win means Cade needs to be in moreso than Crocker, then so be it.
If getting the win means Crocker needs to be in all the time...I can live with that as long as we continue to win!

IronHorseSooner
3/22/2009, 08:33 AM
Everybody has a role on a team. Blake's the star. Taylor's the enforcer. AJ is the distributor. Willie is the outside threat. The Chupacabra is the bench energy guy. Cade is the shooter off of the bench...AND CROCK IS THE DEFENSIVE STOPPER! Every great team has one. A guy who doesn't fill up the stat sheet, but who shuts down, or slows down, the opposing team's best player. As long as Crock knows this, we will be fine. Remember, he wasn't recruited as a spot-up shooter. He was recruited as a guy who could get to the rim. For him to be effective on the offensive end, he probably needs to get back to that...If we play ASU, he will match up with Harden. If we play SU, it's a bit more of a stretch. I would say that he would match up with Harris, or when they go to 3-guards, Rautins.

OUSKINS
3/22/2009, 08:39 AM
Here are my post-game thoughts: Figured this was a good place to post it considering the my opening spiel. Apologies if this is thread-hijacking:

I am going to start my thoughts after this game in an odd place:

Tony Crocker.

I wanted to actually give him some props. I'm not sure I've ever seen an athlete in quite a slump as the one Crocker is in offensively right now. I'm not sure if you locked him in a gym by himself for an hour that he'd figure out how to put the ball in the hoop right now. I cringe every time he shoots, and it looks like he does too.

But I will tell you what....that guy played his heart out on Saturday afternoon and he found ways to contribute. He had 6 assists to 1 turnover and he played AWESOME defense on Manny Harris, who was first team all Big 10 this year. Crocker earned his minutes yesterday....and all he can do when he gets wide open looks is to keep shooting and hope he eventually gets back on track.

We played about as well as we've played in a month in the second half yesterday....I LOVED how we took the game over coming out of the break and you need to give Capel some serious credit for that. We made some adjustments and were absolutely ready to roll in the second half.

What can you say about Blake? I'm running out of words. He was simply abusing double and triple teams and he is (no exxageration) the best big man I've ever seen when it comes to running the floor. The Michigan players looked helpless trying to defend him....and like we've been saying all year.....we were able to get into a groove because our guards hit shots when Blake had to kick it out. Willie did EXACTLY what he needs to do yesterday...he picks his spots and makes big plays. Biggest play of the game may have been when Michigan cut the lead to 58-55, Willie calmly drove the lane and hit a floater--- Michigan never got closer after that.

Did Capel even make a substitution in the second half? Our starting 5 were playing so well, that I can't really recall anyone else checking in until the very end of the game.

Taylor is playing like someone who doesn't want his career to end, and AJ finally found his shot.

As I mentioned before the game, Michigan was a good match-up for us...any team that doesn't have a great, penetrating PG is a good match-up for us.

That is why I will be rooting for Arizona St. to beat Syracuse today. Jonny Flynn scares the heck out of me. But either way, it's going to be a tough game and we're going to have to play well. The good news is that whoever we play is going to be shaking in their boots at the prospect of facing Blake...as long as he's out there, we are capable of beating anyone.

While it's not a huge surprise we're in the Sweet 16, I must take my hat off to Capel.....from where this program was when he took over to where it is right now is a major, major accomplishment. Things are looking bright for OU basketball. It's not easy making the Sweet 16 and I don't take it for granted. Excited to see how we perform next Friday night.

meoveryouxinfinity
3/22/2009, 09:33 AM
suffice it to say, he's a far cry from this:

doCHJTH2y74

And that's why boomersooner28 is so frustrated. Tony's not going to get his shot back anytime soon. He knows what he's capable of. It's gotta be demoralizing for him and the team that he has played so poorly.

soonerfan28
3/22/2009, 09:41 AM
I have been one of Crockers critcs, but the guy is playing some great defense right now and I don't really care if it has been against weak competition. He was able to shut down James Anderson who is one of the best shooters in college basketball. I'll keep his defense on the court even if he doesn't have a whole lot of offense to go along with it.

Eielson
3/22/2009, 06:01 PM
Has anybody ever wondered if it is maybe time to ditch the long sleeves?

boomerborn79
3/22/2009, 07:43 PM
My prediction. Crocker lights cuse up on friday. tony can drive capel will have that in the game plan. a few drives and he'll get his confidence back.. even still I bet he brings one of his best games against cuse. we have all seen him go for 30 before. he will bounce back.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 07:46 PM
Cuse is going to be playing a 2-3 zone, and very likely a 2-3 packed into the lane to take away Blake. Tony isn't driving very often against that. We better be ready to make some outside shots or it could be a long frustrating game.

OU_Sooners75
3/22/2009, 07:53 PM
suffice it to say, he's a far cry from this:

doCHJTH2y74

And that's why boomersooner28 is so frustrated. Tony's not going to get his shot back anytime soon. He knows what he's capable of. It's gotta be demoralizing for him and the team that he has played so poorly.

That is where you are incorrect young lady.

He may not be shooting so well right now...and all shooters eventually get their shots back...but he is playing pretty solid defense.

It is better to have him shutting down the guard threats than to allow those guards to score 30-40 points on us.

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 08:15 PM
I find it hard to believe some of you. This Team was headed towards an undefeated regular season prior to Blake getting hurt in the texas game. After that his importance was easy to see as Kansas and aggie took us out too. We struggled to get back into form and lost again in the Big XII Tourney.

Our Team took the time to re-access and prepare for the tourney and got a decent seed which has allowed us to tune up a bit more.

Friday we play a #3 seed. Syracuse is a solid team. It seems to me that getting by them is the number one thing on most people's minds and some of you want to argue about Coach Capel's decision to not only prepare and play a player for Saturday...but it's like you think some of them should not even make the trip.

Are you kidding me?

It's not time to think tank our Team...it's time to root them on. Blake continues to get pounded in every game. Lose him and it won't matter whether Tony's in a slump or whether Cade should play better Defense. Taylor seems to have picked up his level of play the last two games IMO. This is a Team Sport. It takes 5 on the court with a deep bench to win a tourney like this anyway.

Hopefully all of our guys will pick it up on Friday. I wanna see more OU Basketball...not threads with jackass statements about players you couldn't beat in a game of horse.

OU_Sooners75
3/22/2009, 08:48 PM
I find it hard to believe some of you. This Team was headed towards an undefeated regular season prior to Blake getting hurt in the texas game. After that his importance was easy to see as Kansas and aggie took us out too. We struggled to get back into form and lost again in the Big XII Tourney.

Our Team took the time to re-access and prepare for the tourney and got a decent seed which has allowed us to tune up a bit more.

Friday we play a #3 seed. Syracuse is a solid team. It seems to me that getting by them is the number one thing on most people's minds and some of you want to argue about Coach Capel's decision to not only prepare and play a player for Saturday...but it's like you think some of them should not even make the trip.

Are you kidding me?

It's not time to think tank our Team...it's time to root them on. Blake continues to get pounded in every game. Lose him and it won't matter whether Tony's in a slump or whether Cade should play better Defense. Taylor seems to have picked up his level of play the last two games IMO. This is a Team Sport. It takes 5 on the court with a deep bench to win a tourney like this anyway.

Hopefully all of our guys will pick it up on Friday. I wanna see more OU Basketball...not threads with jackass statements about players you couldn't beat in a game of horse.

I can beat Crocker in a game of horse....maybe not 21 or 1 on 1...but in horse...hell yeah!

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 08:53 PM
I can beat Crocker in a game of horse....maybe not 21 or 1 on 1...but in horse...hell yeah!

I'd bet I could as well, at least if there was a "no dunking" rule, cause I don't do that so well anymore. :(

Sooner13
3/22/2009, 08:56 PM
Has anybody ever wondered if it is maybe time to ditch the long sleeves?

I was just about to say the same thing. Ditch the stupid-*** long sleeves.

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 08:58 PM
I was just about to say the same thing. Ditch the stupid-*** long sleeves.

Yeah...it's the sleeves...LMAO!

Soonerus
3/22/2009, 09:39 PM
Crocker will probably be the hero in both games next weekend proving you guys as idiots....

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 09:42 PM
Crocker will probably be the hero in both games next weekend proving you guys as idiots....

If he scores 100 points this coming weekend that doesn't take back the fact that offensively he has stunk it up lately, so how would that make anyone idiots?

Soonerus
3/22/2009, 09:45 PM
You know how...

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 09:51 PM
You know how...

No....

Turd_Ferguson
3/22/2009, 10:02 PM
No....Yes....

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 10:03 PM
Yes....

Maybe....

Turd_Ferguson
3/22/2009, 10:06 PM
Maybe....Who....

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 10:08 PM
Who....

You know who....

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 10:13 PM
I wonder how a thread questioning the starting lineup of our team would look prior to the Orange Bowl 3 months ago on the Football board. Probably as ridiculous as questioning the lineup of a Basketball team that has had pretty much the same starting lineup for the entire season, and you want to change it up before the biggest game of the season.

I think Coach Capel knows better than the rest of you jacknut's and he probably thinks Crocker is at worst the 5th best player on the team, and at best the best player for his position on the team.

And for you maroon's saying you could beat Tony Crocker in a game of HORSE you do realize that this is a basketball contest, and talking big about beating a Division 1 basketball player at anything involving a hoop and a ball makes you look like Jim Traber saying he could beat Stacey Dales in 1 on 1. Which is to say, moronic.

Eielson
3/22/2009, 10:18 PM

I hope you're joking.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 10:19 PM
I could beat Shaq in a free throw shooting contest and he's a hall of famer, so how does someone saying they can shoot better than Crocker (a mere D-1 player) make someone a moron? ....and despite your opinion I still say I can shoot better than he can.

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 10:29 PM
I could beat Shaq in a free throw shooting contest and he's a hall of famer, so how does someone saying they can shoot better than Crocker (a mere D-1 player) make someone a moron? ....and despite your opinion I still say I can shoot better than he can.

I bet you haven't been to a Basketball game this year, and if you have you probably haven't watched the warm up, but if you had you would notice that during shoot around Crocker rarely misses. Game time is a different thing, and if you think you could hit a 3 pointer from range 5 more times than Crocker with no pressure on him, that is what makes you a moron...

If I'm wrong then please post your Div1 stats from the college basketball team you played for. Or accept being called a moron for saying something so ridiculous twice.

Eielson
3/22/2009, 10:31 PM

A mere D-1 player? I don't know if you guys realize how good you have to be to play D-1. I wouldn't give most of you a chance against even most post players in D-1.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 10:35 PM
I bet you haven't been to a Basketball game this year, and if you have you probably haven't watched the warm up, but if you had you would notice that during shoot around Crocker rarely misses. Game time is a different thing, and if you think you could hit a 3 pointer from range 5 more times than Crocker with no pressure on him, that is what makes you a moron...

If I'm wrong then please post your Div1 stats from the college basketball team you played for. Or accept being called a moron for saying something so ridiculous twice.

...so unless someone played D-1 ball they can't possibly shoot better than Crocker? You may not have ever played at all, or if you did the game may have been very difficult for you, and so maybe you can't understand, but just because someone didn't play D-1 does not mean they can't shoot better than someone that does.

How about my Shaq analogy -- he not only played D-1 ball, he's a first-ballot NBA hall of famer, and I can shoot better than him, though I did not play D-1 ball and I certainly will not make the NBA HOF. That invloves a ball and a hoop as you put it, yet there are tons of high school players, weekend warriors, old-timers and the like that can do that better than Shaq.

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 10:45 PM
...so unless someone played D-1 ball they can't possibly shoot better than Crocker? You may not have ever played at all, or if you did the game may have been very difficult for you, and so maybe you can't understand, but just because someone didn't play D-1 does not mean they can't shoot better than someone that does.

How about my Shaq analogy -- he not only played D-1 ball, he's a first-ballot NBA hall of famer, and I can shoot better than him, though I did not play D-1 ball and I certainly will not make the NBA HOF. That invloves a ball and a hoop as you put it, yet there are tons of high school players, weekend warriors, old-timers and the like that can do that better than Shaq.

First of all your Shaq analogy is flawed because Shaq can't make any shot outside of 10 feet consistantly, you are talking about a Div1 2 guard that shoots beyond the arc on a regular basis. Shaq never shot beyond the arc and yes Shaq could still beat you at horse he would baby hook you to death.

If you can shoot better than a division 1 college basketball player, then you should have played college basktetball. And pardon me for saying so but anyone on the internet who says they can out shoot a Division 1 athlete of the caliber of Tony Crocker, I am going to call a moron. That is something similar to saying you can play better football than anyone on the current Football roster.

The fact is you watch from the stands you have always watched from the stands and I have played a lot of ball, I played against a Division 2 Forward from a small Indiana school I had never heard of. He was 6-8 and he could hit a 3 like no I have ever seen. And he said there was no way he could hang with the guys who play in Division 1, they are in another league.

When you get down to it, you don't know what you are talking about, and it's sad to hear a man make stuff up about himself on an internet message board to make himself feel better. Which is what you are doing.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 10:47 PM
First of all your Shaq analogy is flawed because Shaq can't make any shot outside of 10 feet consistantly, you are talking about a Div1 2 guard that shoots beyond the arc on a regular basis. Shaq never shot beyond the arc and yes Shaq could still beat you at horse he would baby hook you to death.

...but it involves a ball and a hoop, and those were your words not mine.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 10:50 PM

If you can shoot better than a division 1 college basketball player, then you should have played college basktetball. And pardon me for saying so but anyone on the internet who says they can out shoot a Division 1 athlete of the caliber of Tony Crocker, I am going to call a moron. That is something similar to saying you can play better football than anyone on the current Football roster.

The fact is you watch from the stands you have always watched from the stands and I have played a lot of ball, I played against a Division 2 Forward from a small Indiana school I had never heard of. He was 6-8 and he could hit a 3 like no I have ever seen. And he said there was no way he could hang with the guys who play in Division 1, they are in another league.

When you get down to it, you don't know what you are talking about, and it's sad to hear a man make stuff up about himself on an internet message board to make himself feel better. Which is what you are doing.

OK smart guy I have played against D-1 players in my younger days and I have coached D-1 players. I do know what I am talking about. Being a D-1 player does not mean someone is a great shooter.

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 10:55 PM
OK smart guy I have played against D-1 players in my younger days and I have coached D-1 players. I do know what I am talking about. Being a D-1 player does not mean someone is a great shooter.

OK smarter guy, what was keeping this undiscovered talent behind a mustache off the Division 1 basketball court? Your head was probably too big to fit through the door? Don't say height because Mugsy Bowes still played and I am taller than he is, and don't say grades because even I went to a Division 1 School, and if you can shoot better than a starter on a Division 1 team that means you probably should have played ball for a Division 1 team.

Face it you can't shoot better than he can, and at the very least you can't do it now, stop talking out of your ***, drink your ensure and go to bed already.

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 10:58 PM
...but it involves a ball and a hoop, and those were your words not mine.

The end of the paragraph says it all, reading comprehension for the win...

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 10:58 PM
OK smarter guy, what was keeping this undiscovered talent behind a mustache off the Division 1 basketball court? Your head was probably too big to fit through the door? Don't say height because Mugsy Bowes still played and I am taller than he is, and don't say grades because even I went to a Division 1 School, and if you can shoot better than a starter on a Division 1 team that means you probably should have played ball for a Division 1 team.

Face it you can't shoot better than he can, and at the very least you can't do it now, stop talking out of your ***, drink your ensure and go to bed already.

You do realize there's a little more to being a D-1 player then being able to shoot right? Oh wait, probably not.

Played against a D-2 player from Indiana....:rolleyes: WOW!

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 11:01 PM
You do realize there's a little more to being a D-1 player then being able to shoot right? Oh wait, probably not.

Played against a D-2 player from Indiana....:rolleyes: WOW!

I also never claimed to be better than a D-1 player, and you are doing it at what age are you now? 40? And on the internet no less.

You got a big pair on you don't you, whats next challenging Chuck Liddell to a boxing match, because he got knocked out a couple times? Would be just about the same thing.

Sooner04
3/22/2009, 11:04 PM
I've played against D-1 players too. We were in grade school, but you can't take that fact away from me. No, sir.

Crocker is a great shooter. You don't make 42% of your threes in a season by being a schmuck. The kid is in a horrific slump right now. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cade's shooting numbers pale in comparison.

I'm glad we have both of them.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 11:05 PM
I also never claimed to be better than a D-1 player, and you are doing it at what age are you now? 40? And on the internet no less.

You got a big pair on you don't you, whats next challenging Chuck Liddell to a boxing match, because he got knocked out a couple times? Would be just about the same thing.

Now you're getting crazy. I said I could shoot better than Crocker, I did not say I was, or ever have been a better basketball player. I certainly would not presume to say I could step in the ring with Chuck Lidell.

I should have quit arguing with you about this when you bragged about playing against a D-2 player.

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 11:08 PM
Now you're getting crazy. I said I could shoot better than Crocker, I did not say I was, or ever have been a better basketball player. I certainly would not presume to say I could step in the ring with Chuck Lidell.

I should have quit arguing with you about this when you bragged about playing against a D-2 player.

Point to where I bragged, I never bragged. I got owned like a rented mule and he didn't even step inside the paint where his skill set was.

Turd_Ferguson
3/22/2009, 11:08 PM
Web fight..web fight..web fight...:D

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 11:11 PM
See unlike you I don't think I could beat any D-1 collegiate athlete at their given sport, not even a little bit. I would love to play them, but I would never tell them that I would beat them and if I did I certainly wouldn't do it over the Radio a-la Jim Traber, or over the internet a-la Curly Bill.

To do so, is contributing to pansification of the interwebs, or something to that effect.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 11:18 PM
See unlike you I don't think I could beat any D-1 collegiate athlete at their given sport, not even a little bit. I would love to play them, but I would never tell them that I would beat them and if I did I certainly wouldn't do it over the Radio a-la Jim Traber, or over the internet a-la Curly Bill.

To do so, is contributing to pansification of the interwebs, or something to that effect.

Never said I could beat him at his given sport, only said I could shoot better. There's a difference.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 11:21 PM
Never said I could beat him at his given sport, only said I could shoot better. There's a difference.

Oh...and next time you're hanging with Tony you can tell him that there's an old man on the internet that thinks he can shoot better than him. Then tell him how you had his back the whole time, and whamo! BFF! ;)

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 11:21 PM
What's the difference, he is a shooter. If you can shoot better than a shooter, then you are a better shooter than that previous shooter. If you are better than the previous shooter then you should take his job.

That's it, you should try out for the team, it's obvious that you are a better coach than Capel too because he doesn't know who to start. And you are a better shot than Crocker so you should take his starting job. Hurry, you can get your regime in place before the game on Friday.

I think you should jump in your car and drive to Memphis immediately...

You're funny too, have you ever thought about doing Open Mic?

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 11:23 PM

I'd put money on CB taking Chuck Norris...especially if the sumbuck would set foot on Sooner soil. CN is probably to scared of our sleeper cells though.

KC//CRIMSON
3/22/2009, 11:24 PM
I said I could shoot better than Crocker

Put down the peyote and step away, old man.

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 11:26 PM
About time somebody came to Tony's aid.

Lets all drive up to Memphis and play him some horse.

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 11:27 PM
Put down the peyote and step away, old man.

Hey...he might be high...but that doesn't mean he can't spell horse.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 11:28 PM
What's the difference, he is a shooter. If you can shoot better than a shooter, then you are a better shooter than that previous shooter. If you are better than the previous shooter then you should take his job.

That's it, you should try out for the team, it's obvious that you are a better coach than Capel too because he doesn't know who to start. And you are a better shot than Crocker so you should take his starting job. Hurry, you can get your regime in place before the game on Friday.

I think you should jump in your car and drive to Memphis immediately...

You're funny too, have you ever thought about doing Open Mic?

Let me say this s l o w l y.....There is more to being a D-1 baller then shooting. Tony can do those things better than I can now or ever could -- he's got 3" height on me, he can jump higher, he's quicker and probably stronger than I was, he can even handle the ball better because I was terrible at it. Since he can do those things better it would be asinine of me to think I could have at any point in my life took his starting job, but I never said I could -- I said I could shoot better, that's it, one aspect of the game I think I can do better than him.

You keep going to those game and you pay attention and you'll see this.

...and I never said he shouldn't start -- it's obvious to me that he is one of our 5 best players.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 11:30 PM
About time somebody came to Tony's aid.

Lets all drive up to Memphis and play him some horse.

You set it up and I'm in. He might beat me, but I obviously don't lack for confidence. :D

Turd_Ferguson
3/22/2009, 11:31 PM
I once swished a full court shot when I was in the 8th grade.

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 11:31 PM
Anyone got Jeff's number?

Readyfo8? You got it?

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 11:33 PM
I once swished a full court shot when I was in the 8th grade.

That's it, you're in the horse tournament! :D

KC//CRIMSON
3/22/2009, 11:33 PM
Did I ever tell you guys I had a helluva arm back in high school?

I bet I could out throw Bradford tomorrow....

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 11:34 PM
Jeff Jones? In Little Rock? yeah I got his number.

Turd_Ferguson
3/22/2009, 11:35 PM
The football forum is down the hall, 1st door on your left.

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 11:37 PM

Length or accuracy?

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 11:38 PM
If any of you know Sherri's number...I'd like to challenge her to a one on one.

Readyfor8
Let me say this s l o w l y.....There is more to being a D-1 baller then shooting. Tony can do those things better than I can now or ever could -- he's got 3" height on me, he can jump higher, he's quicker and probably stronger than I was, he can even handle the ball better because I was terrible at it. Since he can do those things better it would be asinine of me to think I could have at any point in my life took his starting job, but I never said I could -- I said I could shoot better, that's it, one aspect of the game I think I can do better than him.

You keep going to those game and you pay attention and you'll see this.

...and I never said he shouldn't start -- it's obvious to me that he is one of our 5 best players.

Okay, okay... Truce... I will let it go at that. I will say this internet battle reminds me a lot of this video.

I guess I didn't embed right.

Here is the link... http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/426608ab8c/bat-fight

Curly Bill

Yeah but I'm faster than Demarco!

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah but I'm faster than Demarco!

At what?

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 11:40 PM
Okay, okay... Truce... I will let it go at that. I will say this internet battle reminds me a lot of this video.

<object width="512" height="328" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_426608ab8c"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=426608ab8c" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed width="512" height="328" flashvars="key=426608ab8c" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_426608ab8c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:512px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/426608ab8c/bat-fight" title="from Will Ferrell, Craig Robinson, and Jake">BAT FIGHT with Will Ferrell</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/will_ferrell">Will Ferrell</a></div>

Pretty soon your gonna tell us you can take Bill Gates in a game of chess huh?

KC//CRIMSON
3/22/2009, 11:41 PM
If any of you know Sherri's number...I'd like to challenge her to a one on one.

Bad idea. Don't forget what happened to Stanley.....

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 11:43 PM
What happened to Stanley?

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 11:43 PM
Bad idea. Don't forget what happened to Stanley.....

I'm not a stalker...I'm a Player. :D

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 11:44 PM
At what?

40 yard dash...

Me, him, right now...

Any chance his hammy is still tweaked? :D

Readyfor8
3/22/2009, 11:44 PM
Pretty soon your gonna tell us you can take Bill Gates in a game of chess huh?

winnar

KC//CRIMSON
3/22/2009, 11:45 PM
I'm not a stalker...I'm a Player. :D

Stanley thought he was a player too......

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 11:45 PM
Stanley thought he was a player too......

That he did...lol

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2009, 12:02 AM
I hope you're joking.

It is blantantly obvious to me, that you got passed over when God was handing out sarcasm alert systems!

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2009, 12:03 AM
A mere D-1 player? I don't know if you guys realize how good you have to be to play D-1. I wouldn't give most of you a chance against even most post players in D-1.

Please refer to my previous post.

But let me add this.

Crocker is not a post player.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2009, 12:06 AM

Sounds like a plan to me.

Let me call him up!

KC//CRIMSON
3/23/2009, 12:10 AM

Let me call him up!

He won't hear you. He's still hearing bells from Evans.

Turd_Ferguson
3/23/2009, 12:12 AM

Let me call him up!He's unlisted now. He got tired of me call'n him up and smack talk'n.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2009, 12:16 AM
He won't hear you. He's still hearing bells from Evans.

I guess I will settle for the next best thing...Fedor or Anderson Silva! :cool:

tommieharris91
3/23/2009, 12:57 AM
If he scores 100 points this coming weekend that doesn't take back the fact that offensively he has stunk it up lately, so how would that make anyone idiots?

I'll stop talking about anyone's offensive offense if they average 50 ppg over 2 games. I don't care who they are.

Eielson
3/23/2009, 07:36 AM
Please refer to my previous post.

But let me add this.

Crocker is not a post player.

Guards generally shoot better than posts.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2009, 04:03 PM
Guards generally shoot better than posts.

That is not entirely correct.

Eielson
3/23/2009, 05:55 PM
That is not entirely correct.

Why?

OU_Sooners75
3/24/2009, 02:15 AM
Why?

What do you mean why?

About the only thing the guards tend to shoot better is from the arch...but that is not entirely true either.

Take a gander at this if you would.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/ncaa-m-baskbl-div1-ind-field-goal-percentage.html

If you cannot tell, that is field goal% for the 2008-2009 season.

There are only 3 guards that are in the top 50 in FG%. And the Best shooting guard is ranked #32.

Granted, the post players tend to shoot the higher percentage shots, but that is their role in the game. To play closer to the basket.

So your comment of "Guards generally shoot better than posts," is not true.

Eielson
3/24/2009, 04:10 PM
What do you mean why?

About the only thing the guards tend to shoot better is from the arch...but that is not entirely true either.

Take a gander at this if you would.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/ncaa-m-baskbl-div1-ind-field-goal-percentage.html

If you cannot tell, that is field goal% for the 2008-2009 season.

There are only 3 guards that are in the top 50 in FG%. And the Best shooting guard is ranked #32.

Granted, the post players tend to shoot the higher percentage shots, but that is their role in the game. To play closer to the basket.

So your comment of "Guards generally shoot better than posts," is not true.

That is an extremely weak argument. Shaquille O'Neal has shot 58.2 percent of the course of his career. Ray Allen has shot 44.8 percent of the course of his career. Shaquille O'Neal is a way better shooter?

Dwight Howard has shot 56.9 percent over his career. Kobe has shot 45.5 percent. Who is the better shooter?

OU_Sooners75
3/25/2009, 01:50 AM
That is an extremely weak argument. Shaquille O'Neal has shot 58.2 percent of the course of his career. Ray Allen has shot 44.8 percent of the course of his career. Shaquille O'Neal is a way better shooter?

Dwight Howard has shot 56.9 percent over his career. Kobe has shot 45.5 percent. Who is the better shooter?

The facts and %ages do not lie.

But I understand the role of each position in the game...something you apparently do not.

Some of the best shooters in history have been non-guard positions.

Or would you like to argue against James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Larry Bird, Scotty Pippen and others?

As I mentioned before, guards tend to be better at the lower percentage shots, aka 3 pointers, but that is also because they are playing further from the basket.

It really is not hard to understand...but since I am talking to you, I knew I would have to spell it out for you.

Eielson
3/25/2009, 11:55 PM
The facts and %ages do not lie.

You would seriously pick Shaq to beat Ray Allen in a game of horse? And yes, stats do lie. There are many factors on your shooting percentage that aren't about how well you can shoot.

But I understand the role of each position in the game...something you apparently do not.

An empty claim...which really doesn't have much relevance.

Some of the best shooters in history have been non-guard positions.

Or would you like to argue against James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Larry Bird, Scotty Pippen and others?

I can agree with that, but naming four players doesn't mean all posts can shoot. Especially considering that not all those would even be considered posts.

As I mentioned before, guards tend to be better at the lower percentage shots, aka 3 pointers, but that is also because they are playing further from the basket.

Yes, they are better at 3s, and mostly everywhere else on the court. Posts are better dunkers and that is about it.

It really is not hard to understand...but since I am talking to you, I knew I would have to spell it out for you.

I seriously have to question if you have ever played any type of competitive basketball. I'm not making myself out to be a stud, but I've played AAU and high school basketball. I've been in enough shooting drills that it has been pretty obvious to me that the guards generally shoot better than the posts. That isn't to say that the best shooter on the team can't ever be a post, but as a whole, guards shoot better. Guards also practice shooting more, and rightfully so. For a post, scoring is more than anything about position. Being able to get in good position makes you a better player, but it doesn't mean you are a better shooter.

OU_Sooners75
3/26/2009, 01:58 AM
I can agree with that, but naming four players doesn't mean all posts can shoot. Especially considering that not all those would even be considered posts.

You are pretty weak when it comes to debate.

That said, you mentioned 2 current guards that are great shooters to add to your argument.

Lets straighten some things out here...since you seem to get lost pretty quickly.

1. I never said posts shoot better than guards. I did say that they take higher percentage shots and shoot better because of their position and where they play at on the floor.

2. I have said that just because you are a guard does not mean you are a great shooter...and not all guards are better shooters than post players.

3. Trying to use shaq as an example is just plain ignorant on your part. His shots are all within 3-5 feet of the hoop. He is a pathetic shooter. Lets go use Dirk instead, shall we?

4. Stop spinning and twisting. Everyone that knows what basketball is knows that guards shoot better outside than the posts. However, that does not translate into being better overall shooters.

OU_Sooners75
3/26/2009, 01:59 AM
I seriously have to question if you have ever played any type of competitive basketball. I'm not making myself out to be a stud, but I've played AAU and high school basketball. I've been in enough shooting drills that it has been pretty obvious to me that the guards generally shoot better than the posts. That isn't to say that the best shooter on the team can't ever be a post, but as a whole, guards shoot better. Guards also practice shooting more, and rightfully so. For a post, scoring is more than anything about position. Being able to get in good position makes you a better player, but it doesn't mean you are a better shooter.

Outside of Elementary School? Nope..what next, you going to tell me I have no idea what I am speaking of since I was a heavyweight wrestler and football player?

Eielson
3/26/2009, 04:57 PM
1. I never said posts shoot better than guards. I did say that they take higher percentage shots and shoot better because of their position and where they play at on the floor.

Well, what does this mean?

"So your comment of "Guards generally shoot better than posts," is not true."

2. I have said that just because you are a guard does not mean you are a great shooter...and not all guards are better shooters than post players.

I've said that too.

3. Trying to use shaq as an example is just plain ignorant on your part. His shots are all within 3-5 feet of the hoop. He is a pathetic shooter. Lets go use Dirk instead, shall we?

My point was that percentages do lie. You wanted to make a huge deal about percentages, but Shaq leads the league in field goal percentage. Yes, Shaq is an extreme example, but a lot of posts get shots in that range.

If you want to talk about Dirk, we can. There aren't many Dirks, and even Dirk isn't the best when compared to guards. You make a list of ten of the best current shooters that play post, and I'll make a list of ten of the best shooters that are guards and we can compare. Sound good?

4. Stop spinning and twisting. Everyone that knows what basketball is knows that guards shoot better outside than the posts. However, that does not translate into being better overall shooters.

So you're saying that guards aren't better shooters again.

theresonly1OU
3/26/2009, 05:03 PM
Looks like I walked into the middle of a stats fight.

Hold on while I go get my pocket protector.

Eielson
3/26/2009, 05:12 PM
Outside of Elementary School? Nope..what next, you going to tell me I have no idea what I am speaking of since I was a heavyweight wrestler and football player?

Pretty much, yes I am. If you never truly played the game, there are things that you just won't fully understand. It doesn't mean you are a moron, but it does mean you're probably not an expert.

I'm willing to admit that I'm not an expert on wrestling and wouldn't be even if I watched it a lot.

8timechamps
3/26/2009, 05:32 PM
Everyone go to your rooms!!

Frozen Sooner
3/27/2009, 02:39 AM
Yep. This thing deserved to get locked.

Now me and my nazi mod buddies are going to go kill some j00s. Because locking a thread on a message board is TOTALLY part of the tenets of National Socialism.