PDA

View Full Version : no aa's for OU in wrestling

stonecoldsoonerfan
3/21/2009, 05:03 PM
http://www.newsok.com/college-wrestling-no-ncaa-champs-for-osu-ou/article/3355125?custom_click=headlines_widget

----------

College wrestling: No NCAA champs for OSU, OU
NCAA wrestling championships
FROM STAFF REPORTS
Published: March 21, 2009
Buzz up!

ST. LOUIS — The second day of competition at the NCAA Wrestling Championships was filled with disappointment for Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Both schools saw any hope of having national champions end Friday morning as all of their remaining wrestlers in the championship bracket lost.
Advertisement
Click here to find out more!

OSU was tied for 17th in the team standings with 29.5 points. OU slipped to 28th with 19 points. Ohio State was the team leader after Friday night’s action.

ROSHOLT MAKES ALL-AMERICAN
After losing his quarterfinals match Friday morning, heavyweight Jared Rosholt remained alive by beating East Stroudsburg’s Chris Birchler 3-1 and Illinois’ John Wise 7-5 Friday night. The match with Birchler was tied 1-1 after three periods, but Rosholt recorded a takedown in overtime to seal the victory and earn All-American honors.

Clayton Foster (197 pounds) was knocked out after being pinned by Old Dominion’s Jesse Strawn at 5:41. OSU teammates Obe Blanc (125) and Newly McSpadden (174) both lost their wrestleback matches by decision to end their tournament. McSpadden lost to American’s Mike Cannon 4-1, and Blanc lost to Northwestern’s Brandon Precin, 10-4.

SOONERS BOW OUT
For the second consecutive year, OU won’t have an All-American after all of its wrestlers were eliminated Friday.

Joey Fio (125) was pinned at 14 seconds by Cornell’s Troy Nickerson in his championship quarterfinals match Friday morning. He was eliminated from the tournament Friday night with an 8-3 loss to Kent State’s Nicholas Bedelyon.

Kyle Terry (149) lost a quarterfinals match 14-6 to No. 1-ranked Brent Metcalf of Iowa. Metcalf entered the tournament with a 68-match win streak. Terry then lost 7-2 to American’s Kyle Borshoff in the consolations.

Eric Lapotsky (197) was eliminated from the tournament with a 3-2 loss Friday night to Boise State’s Brent Chriswell.

John Kochtoston
3/22/2009, 02:48 AM
Meanwhile, Anthony Robles answered once and for all just how well a one-legged man can do in an *** kicking contest.

badger
3/26/2009, 04:12 PM
You know why? It's because the All-American American Jack Swagger (Hager) went pro!

He was picked up in free agency by Extreme Championship Wrestling a few months ago and has already claimed a championship, which he holds to this day.

However, Jack will likely be picked up in the upcoming draft by one of the more major pro leagues, WWE Raw or WWE Smackdown.

In this era of college athletics, even the wrestlers are turning pro ;)

SanJoaquinSooner
5/16/2009, 06:55 PM
This next year should be the last chance for Spates. The Sooners should be in the top ten every year, and frequently in the top five, with at least a couple of All Americans....and an occasional national champ.

I recall when we had a looong streak going for at least one national champ every year.

badger
5/18/2009, 07:18 AM
I recall when we had a looong streak going for at least one national champ every year.

Forgive me for not following all OU sports as much as I should, but is this streak not still ongoing? Did gymnastics finally have an off-year now that they had to give up their top athlete to the Olympics?

I just saw Jack Hager/Swagger last night on WWE's Judgment Day and he truly is an amazing athlete. Of course the matches are scripted, but they can only be scripted to a point, based on the athlete's limitations... and Hager/Swagger has no limitations! He had to let the other guy win because that's how it was scripted, but no matter who he goes in the ring against, it is clear who the better athlete is :)

SanJoaquinSooner
5/19/2009, 10:35 PM
Forgive me for not following all OU sports as much as I should, but is this streak not still ongoing? Did gymnastics finally have an off-year now that they had to give up their top athlete to the Olympics?

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I meant wrestling champs. We went about 20 or 25 consecutive years where we had at least one individual who won a national wrestling championship. I think it ended in the 80s.