PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Bubba, wanna help your daughters? Shut your pie hole...

colleyvillesooner
3/21/2009, 02:26 PM
I would like to see the video, as I'm sure he was joking, but there's no need for this on the Eve of the Tourney...

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11963406?source=rss

Courtney Paris looked horrified as the television commentator set up the famous footage.

"Oh, my gosh," she said, eyes wide.

Her national-title promise? Her money-back guarantee? Nope.

What put the Oklahoma superstar on edge during the NCAA tournament selection show was the statement made by her father, Bubba, who was interviewed recently by ESPN for its celebration of Women's History Month.

"This is their year," said the former 49ers lineman, whose twins are seniors on the team. "And let me be clear about this again — my daughters have contributed. They've helped them recruit great players. They've brought in good people."

Bubba then turned his attention to the Sooners' coach, adding, "If they don't win this year, it's your fault, Sherri Coale."

His voice boomed, and his eyes danced — but it appeared he was joking around a bit, according to the Oklahoma City Oklahoman.

"Take those great players and win with them," Bubba added. "I said it, yes I did."

Asked by the Oklahoman about Bubba's comments after practice Thursday, Coale paused uncharacteristically for nearly five seconds before answering.

"I don't think it matters," said Coale, whose top-seeded team opens the NCAA tournament Sunday against No. 16 Prairie View in Iowa City. "I think what we have to focus on is, what do we believe and what can we get done? I think the only appropriate thing for us to do is move forward."

But didn't
Advertisement
it sound like Bubba was just having some fun?

"I don't think it matters," Coale said again.

oumartin
3/21/2009, 03:06 PM
maybe if courtney had ashleys drive to shed some access baggage this team might be a tad better. Oh, and learn how to make entry passes

badger
3/21/2009, 03:32 PM
"If they don't win this year, it's your fault, Sherri Coale."
I am usually the positive little beacon of non-negativity, but I almost entirely agree with this statement. If circumstances outside anyone's control means that we don't win (an earthquake stops the game when we are about to make the game winning shot, a faulty basketball court floor breaks and causes half our team to snap their ankles simultaneously, the team plane crashes and our team is forced to live the remainder of their lives on a happy tropical island together instead of making it to the final four), that is the only exception. Everything else is in place for a championship winning team.

okienole3
3/21/2009, 03:52 PM
If the Paris twins had come along ten years ago, then OU would have gone to multiple finals four. Unfortunately, the women's game has changed before their very eyes. Courtney is a great player, one of the best ever. But, the game is much more athletic and at times, Courtney is a burden on this team. Ashley understood this and did the work to get her self in shape and become more versatile. Courtney did not.

StoopTroup
3/21/2009, 04:17 PM
Not everybody says the right thing when someone sticks a microphone in their face.

People are way to sensitive.

GO BUBBA!

KingBarry
3/21/2009, 05:33 PM
I am usually the positive little beacon of non-negativity, but I almost entirely agree with this statement. If circumstances outside anyone's control means that we don't win (an earthquake stops the game when we are about to make the game winning shot, a faulty basketball court floor breaks and causes half our team to snap their ankles simultaneously, the team plane crashes and our team is forced to live the remainder of their lives on a happy tropical island together instead of making it to the final four), that is the only exception. Everything else is in place for a championship winning team.

Badger! Are you serious!?! UCONN has one of the finest basketball teams ever assembled.

badger
3/21/2009, 05:47 PM
Badger! Are you serious!?! UCONN has one of the finest basketball teams ever assembled.

Part of winning championships is defeating good teams. I know I'm going to be in the minority on this, but it would be rather unfortunate and unexpected for Coale to land the rebounding queen and her very talented twin - and plenty of top recruits ever since - and not come away with at least one title.

soonervegas
3/21/2009, 08:11 PM
Its going to get ugly if OU doesn't get to the final four. The daggers will be flying and it is my opinion that it shouldn't ALL fall on Coale or Courtney's shoulders. They have both failed to this point. Fact is her dad is somewhat right, they should have been to a final four by now....but he better be ready to point two fingers.

OU_Sooners75
3/21/2009, 08:37 PM
maybe if courtney had ashleys drive to shed some access baggage this team might be a tad better. Oh, and learn how to make entry passes

Hear hear!

I have thought the same thing all season.

I am a twin and we did everything together until we got out of college.

If my brother was trying to shed some pounds, or gain some, I was right there with him helping and doing the same thing.

If Courtney wishes to make a long successful career in the WNBA, she better lose about 40 pounds.

Ashley improved he game and has been more active after losing the weight. I cannot even imagine how dominate of a player Courtney would be had she followed her sister and dropped about 40 pounds.

And as far a Bubba Paris goes...he can STFU and move on.

ouwapiti
3/21/2009, 09:55 PM
i dont think sherri has missed any 2 foot jump shots, free throws or had to lumber down the court because she's waaaay overweight in the last four years.........

Leroy Lizard
3/21/2009, 10:51 PM
"Take those great players and win with them," Bubba added. "I said it, yes I did."

And you're an idiot, yes you are.

yukonmiller
3/21/2009, 11:08 PM
I took it as a little good natured ribbing as Bubba has been nothing but class the past 4 years. He is correct his daughters have given a lot for the program and have helped bring in good players. Its obvious both of them love the University.

That being said its a HUGE longshot to win this yeat (we've had better chances in the past). No reason we can't make it to the finals but UCONN is looking unbeatable. Just remember as much as the twins have done for this program still doesn't compare to what Coale has done. They were getting ready to shut it down.

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2009, 12:47 AM
"I said it, yes I did."

That means, "I wasn't joking around."

sooner59
3/22/2009, 01:09 AM
Bubba....being true to his name, made a stupid statement. No, you can not blame her automatically if they don't win it all this year. For one, UCONN is pretty good, in case he hasn't noticed. And two, Courtney could have the game of her life and if the other girls don't help her, they will still lose. To me, if the girls all play to their ability, we will end up playing UCONN. Then its a toss up. You can not honestly say that there is no reason that we should not beat them given the fact that they already beat us by 28 and they are 33-0. If we make it to play UCONN this year, it will have been a very successful one regardless.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/22/2009, 01:49 AM
Guess Bubba is disappointed his daughters went to OU...or maybe he should be the women's head coach?

AlbqSooner
3/22/2009, 06:34 AM
I have to wonder if any of you actually SAW the video. It was clear to me that Bubba was checking to see if anyone's sarcasm meter was running. Apparently the answer, in many cases, is no.

colleyvillesooner
3/22/2009, 08:10 AM
That's why I said I'd like to see the video.

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2009, 12:10 PM
I have to wonder if any of you actually SAW the video. It was clear to me that Bubba was checking to see if anyone's sarcasm meter was running. Apparently the answer, in many cases, is no.

We don't need Bubba checking our sarcasm meters.

Rhino
3/22/2009, 05:37 PM
Oklahoma City Oklahoman?

Mercury News fails at journalism.

pappy
3/22/2009, 08:36 PM
I hope we win the national title. I really do. Uconn's girls are ridiculously good. They destroy everyone they play including us (106-78) Our team isn't quick enough to beat them. Bubba should've just kept his mouth shut. If I was sherri coale I wouldn't have started either paris sister today...would've sent a message to the dad that this isn't the ymca so quit trying to tell me how to do my job and secondly we still would've won today's game. I would've played them but not started them. Courtney shouldn't have guaranteed a national title or she'd pay her scholarship back...everybody knows if they don't win she isn't really going to and we're not gonna hold her to it and demand that she pay up if she doesn't deliver the national title either. If she wouldn't have said what she said then daddy wouldn't have spoke up either.

bri
3/22/2009, 09:18 PM
Bubba's just trying to deflect attention away from the fact that his baby girl is the biggest bust since Ishtar.

Curly Bill
3/22/2009, 09:26 PM
Watching OU play during the twins freshman year I thought for sure there would be a national title or two in line for OU over the following three years. I think the fact it hasn't happned can be equally attributed to CP and Coach Coale -- CP for not getting appreciably better over the next three years, especially conditioning-wise, and Coach gets some of the blame because I still contend her offensive schemes are too simplistic for big-time college ball.

...and of course we can place blame on others as well, for poor guard play, terrible shooting at times, gazillions and gazillions of turnovers....

ouwapiti
3/23/2009, 07:44 AM
courtney, tiffany jackson from texas and abby waner from duke , in my opinion, have been biggest, over-hyped busts in women's game in the last few years in the national title hunt aspect.....just really never improved from frosh years ......waner probably has a shot and being some sort of tv reporter or analyst though.....is jackson even playing in the wnba?????dont see courtney making any kind of splash in wnba unless she does some some sort of conditioning makeover

badger
3/23/2009, 07:53 AM
Final Four absences aside, Courtney has had a very, very good college career here at Oklahoma. I would agree that it doesn't seem that she's improved much if at all since her freshmen year, but her talent hasn't diminished either - and she was a pretty, pretty talented freshman!

As such, I think she will have a good WNBA career. She "fails" rebounding at OU, but still manages to get every rebound and I don't see that changing at the next level.

I think if she got injured or never adapted to the college game to average double-doubles her entire career you could label her a flop. However, it's difficult to be a "flop" when you're a two-time (soon to be 3-time) All-American and a Player of the Year recipient (in 2007), the first sophomore ever to do this.

I am disappointed that there haven't been any nat'l championships (or even final fours) during the CP3 era, but I'm willing to let the last three years of sad season endings go if they can come through this year. I would be willing to go on a Tonya Harding knee-busting trip to Connecticut to ensure that this year they win :D

starclassic tama
3/23/2009, 09:17 AM

except for the little fact that UCONN is a much better team than we are

badger
3/23/2009, 09:27 AM
The King already mentioned UConn, but I'll say once again that winning championships any year means going up against good teams... great teams, really. If winning championships in top tier sports was easy, Oklahoma State wouldn't have to keep pointing desperately at all their wrestling ones.