PDA

View Full Version : Well, we'll be off...

OUstudent4life
3/21/2009, 11:28 AM
Pretty much every medical student across the nation (including me) found out our futures at noon on Thursday. The National Residency Match Program worked its magic over the previous three weeks following the submission of every student's lists of where they wanted to go, as well as the lists by the residency programs of who they would take. At noon (central time) the results were revealed.

The wife and I will be spending the next 3 to 6 years in...

New York City! Pediatrics at the Children's Hostpital of New York (Columbia).

My wife has been laughing on and off for the past few days, saying this is either the best or craziest decision we've ever made.

Of course, now I have to find an apartment...a tiny, tiny apartment.

swardboy
3/21/2009, 11:52 AM
Thank goodness it wasn't some god-forsaken place like Tampa or San Diego....seriously, good luck. This too will pass.

jkjsooner
3/21/2009, 12:53 PM
That is awesome. Congratulations!

Even though you will be very busy, I hope you guys get to enjoy your time in NYC.

StoopTroup
3/21/2009, 12:58 PM
Getting to practice on those island zombies will only make you a better doctor once you move back here to help real people. :D

fadada1
3/21/2009, 06:31 PM

good thing you're a medical resident... because you'll be making BANK!!!! maybe you can rent out a room at madoff's pad. possibly a broom closet with your future salary.;) ;)

seriously, best of luck to you. best to be living in NYC when you're young. i don't know how people live there their entire lives.

Okla-homey
3/21/2009, 06:43 PM
Pretty much every medical student across the nation (including me) found out our futures at noon on Thursday. The National Residency Match Program worked its magic over the previous three weeks following the submission of every student's lists of where they wanted to go, as well as the lists by the residency programs of who they would take. At noon (central time) the results were revealed.

My wife has been laughing on and off for the past few days, saying this is either the best or craziest decision we've ever made.

Congratulations! That sounds prestigious as hell. srsly. You must have done very well in med school. Good on you. I bet you learn more in 3-6 there than you'd learn in ten at some less "tip of the spear" place. And, FWIW, you don't need an apartment in the City because you'll be incarcerated and sleepwak through your years at the hospital for the most part. Therefore, get the Mrs. a decent place outside the city a ways you can visit on weekends. I recommend up in Connecticutt. ;)

NYC Poke
3/21/2009, 06:43 PM
I looked up the address and the hospital is at 166th & Broadway. The girl I'm seeing lives not too far from there, at 145th and St. Nicholas (on Sugar Hill) in Harlem. Forget what you heard about Harlem in the 70s and 80s. It has a "neighborhoody" feel, certainly moreso than the part of Hell's Kitchen I live in. And she's close to express stops on the subway, so it's pretty easy to get back down to civilization. And you can get a lot more apartment for a lot less money.

Another option is Inwood, at the northwest tip of Manhattan. It's very quiet and would be convenient for her. It'd be sort of a hike for you assuming you worked in Midtown.

Feel free to hit me with any questions you have. The gf's mom is a professor at Columbia and she grew up in that area and knows it well.

soonerboomer93
3/21/2009, 07:05 PM

you sure you'll be able to afford a place that big during residency?

Rogue
3/21/2009, 07:43 PM
Sleepwalk hell. ACGME insists residents can't work more'n 80 hours a week now.
Pansies.

Rogue
3/21/2009, 07:44 PM
Congrats 4Life!
Peds huh?

salth2o
3/21/2009, 10:17 PM
Congrats!!!

OUstudent4life
3/23/2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks everybody! Poke, that's some really good advice! You might be hearing from me soon...we're definitely going to be living on the west side of Manhattan, it just comes down to what we can find (that will take a 70 lbs black lab mutt...who thankfully we spoiled into becoming a totally inside dog).

And Rogue, strong rumor has it that workload may decrease in a year. To around 60 hours :D.

The wife will (barring any insanity) be working at the same hospital...she'll be in her last year of residency.

...and yes, we're keeping our OU Football season tickets :D:D:D. Golden weekend football trip! (at least one)

OH...does anyone have any advice/suggestions for moving companies? We've been saving for a coupla' years knowing this is gonna be happening (just not the where till last week).

NYC Poke
3/24/2009, 11:46 AM
When I moved to New York, I gave away all my large stuff, anything that couldn't be shipped by UPS. My brother really appreciated getting my TV, my smoker, and my king-sized bed. My apartment is consider big by NYC standards, but I doubt most of my Houston stuff would even fit in my apartment.