PDA

View Full Version : Kick Returns?

KingDavid
3/19/2009, 05:55 PM
Seems safe to assume Broyles is our punt returner.

But with DM having gone down 2X on special teams in the last two years, let's assume he's sitting out the kick returns going forward.

Iglesias is gone.

That leaves two spots for returning kicks. Does anyone know who we're working out there?

sooner94
3/19/2009, 06:09 PM
I think Madu could do some damage returning kicks.

JLEW1818
3/19/2009, 06:42 PM
I was gonna say Madu also.

BoggyCreek Monster
3/20/2009, 12:51 AM
Marcus Trice has good speed and alot of shake n bake. He'll more than likely redshirt this year though.

KingDavid
3/20/2009, 04:53 PM
A little discussion about the differences between KR & PR could be helpful.

For a PR, seems to me the priorities are:
Hands: excellent hand-eye coordination is a must.
Quickness: Ability to make people miss (a.k.a. shifty, shake and bake, etc.)
Speed: think, 40 yard dash, 100 yard dash (a.k.a. track speed)
Durability: can take hit, run through traffic, strong.For a KR, it seems to me it's a different story:
Speed
Durability (emphasis on strength & holding on to the football)
Quickness
Hands (yes, you still need to field it cleanly - but fielding a kick is 100 times easier than fielding a punt.I know we're going to have Broyles at PR.

I haven't a clue who we're going to have at KR (assuming DM doesn't play there).

goingoneight
3/23/2009, 05:52 PM
I don't see why he won't play there if he's ready to go again. He's been the best we've had the last two years and probably the best in the country.

As for Iglesias's replacement... that's a tough one. It could be Broyles, but between punts, KOs and his time on offense, we don't want teams keying in on one guy to hurt him and essentially the team if "the guy" goes down. Ronnell Lewis supposedly returns kicks and punts, but he's a biggun' so we'll see...

JLEW1818
3/23/2009, 06:19 PM
I don't see why he won't play there if he's ready to go again. He's been the best we've had the last two years and probably the best in the country.

As for Iglesias's replacement... that's a tough one. It could be Broyles, but between punts, KOs and his time on offense, we don't want teams keying in on one guy to hurt him and essentially the team if "the guy" goes down. Ronnell Lewis supposedly returns kicks and punts, but he's a biggun' so we'll see...

DM?

If so I don't think its worth it after all his injuries and the Big 12 championship game...

madillsoonerfan5353
3/23/2009, 08:42 PM
I'm going with Gresham and Clapp!!!! :D :D Like when the "Canes" came to Norman two years ago and big #89 returned kicks!!!!

soonerfan28
3/23/2009, 09:26 PM
Broyles and Kenney

goingoneight
3/23/2009, 10:10 PM
DM?

If so I don't think its worth it after all his injuries and the Big 12 championship game...

It's no more dangerous than playing running back. His two injuries are widely regarded as flukes, and it didn't stop us from putting our best two recevivers out to return punts and kickoffs alongside him. You put the best guys on the field. Not my rule, its just how Stoops rolls.

We do need a DM sidekick.

pappy
3/24/2009, 03:17 AM
madu and calhoun or madu and franks or madu and broyles or madu and murray or madu and kenney or madu and owens....ok so I'm pretty confident madu will be one

boomermagic
3/27/2009, 08:57 AM
DM and Broyles..

KingDavid
3/27/2009, 09:36 AM
Kenney is an interesting thought. I'm definitely looking for him to make an impact on special teams, fo sho.

I think Madu is probably a strong fit, too.

Sure would be nice Jonathan Nelson could catch. The kid has wheels. I think he's the fastest kid on the team except for a healthy Murray. Is that right?

MojoRisen
4/1/2009, 11:59 AM
Have we washed our hands with that David Simms kid who did not quite qualify?

allentxsooner
4/1/2009, 02:55 PM
Sims is gone, he commited to Iowa State, I like Kenney and Madu, speed and shiftyness