PDA

View Full Version : Which #1 seed goes down first?

8timechamps
3/19/2009, 09:55 AM
My pick is UConn.

I think they make it to the Sweet Sixteen (possibly squeaking out a second round win), and then they're done.

soonerfan28
3/19/2009, 10:01 AM
I think it is very easy to pick UConn with the Dyson injury, but I'll say Louisville. They have been up and down this season and yes the ended the season on the right note, but they could go down. 30 point loss to Notre Dame on home court.

SoonerAtKU
3/19/2009, 10:30 AM
Louisville is the trendy pick to win it all, so I think they might let a lot of people down. North Carolina is probably the most consistent of the bunch, and Pitt doesn't have a lot of let-down. I pick UConn to crash out early, because Thabeet has a wide *** and doesn't move his feet on defense.

badger
3/19/2009, 10:32 AM
In my bracket (which has quite flawed reasoning behind it, mind you), I have three No. 1's going down in the Elite Eight. The only No. 1 to survive to the Four is L'ville. OU, Duke, and Memphis beat the others.

:P but yes, my bracket is awful this year. I really need to stop playing favorites.

IronHorseSooner
3/19/2009, 10:33 AM
The one thing with UNC is that they play NO defense; whereas the three Big East teams DO play defense. OU, SU, and even Gonzaga play better defense than UNC. It's going to bite them against whichever one of those teams that they play.

SoonerJack
3/19/2009, 11:33 AM
My picks this year are a complete suckfest. I totally forgot about NC and UConn having major guys out for the tourney.

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2009, 11:35 AM
I don't think Lawson is out for the whole tournament. Give him a week to rest against teams that shouldn't be able to beat UNC even without him and I think he'll be back for the Sweet 16.

primetime43
3/19/2009, 11:41 AM
I think Louisville goes down first. I think the Midwest region is the toughest region.

King Crimson
3/19/2009, 11:46 AM
I don't think Lawson is out for the whole tournament. Give him a week to rest against teams that shouldn't be able to beat UNC even without him and I think he'll be back for the Sweet 16.

the first week UNC (like Duke) is playing in Greensboro....if they can't get out of the first round there, Lawson or no, no excuses.

badger
3/19/2009, 11:54 AM

Give him a week and UNC might be completely out and not have a Sweet 16:D

AllAboutThe'O'
3/19/2009, 12:08 PM
I don't trust Pittsburgh; historically, they've been one of those schools that can't stand prosperity. I had them losing in the Elite 8 as well as UNC to you know who. But don't be shocked if UNC gets upended by LSU in the second round, especially if Lawson can't come back by then.

8timechamps
3/19/2009, 12:11 PM
the first week UNC (like Duke) is playing in Greensboro....if they can't get out of the first round there, Lawson or no, no excuses.

If the rumors are right, he has a form of turf toe. If that's the case, he won't be 100% for the entire tournament. I think Williams will play him if he has no choice, but I doubt he'll get what he needs with him.

8timechamps
3/19/2009, 12:26 PM
Just heard on CBS that Jim Calhoun was taken to the hospital and will not coach UCONN today. They just said he "wasn't feeling well". Could be trouble for the Huskies. Although, I don't think they'll lose, it may be closer than the spread.

LiveLaughLove
3/19/2009, 12:54 PM
since Calhoun is out, might be UConn.

Since I have them winning it all, Im going to say Pitt is the first to bow out.

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2009, 12:58 PM
Give him a week and UNC might be completely out and not have a Sweet 16:D

I don't know that I could have made that any clearer.

badger
3/19/2009, 01:10 PM
I don't know that I could have made that any clearer.

I don't think UNC will go out that early, but then again, I thought Memphis would be in the championship game against OU and here they are, stinking it up against some 15-seed that I don't even know the name to :mad:

Gah, there goes the bracket and the tourney barely started :mad:

That being said, it is quite possible that UNC will have a Memphis-like showing in the first few rounds, and when star studly star returns to the lineup they may be out.

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2009, 01:19 PM
Yes, it is within the bounds of reason that UNC might lose one of their first two games. However, it is extremely likely that they will be able to survive the first weekend without Lawson. My point was that they should be OK, since they should win those first two games and then have a rested Lawson back for the more challenging second and third weekend games. In other words, not having him for the first weekend only shouldn't damage their hopes of winning the whole tourney.

Now if Lawson is not at 100% in weekends two and three, that does damage their chances.

LiveLaughLove
3/19/2009, 01:38 PM
Remember UNC is playing almost a home game (as they or Duke seem to get every year in the tourney. I think they win their first two easily.

SoonerJack
3/20/2009, 01:57 PM
But let's talk about how funny it would be to have another tearful Roy Williams apologizing to the fans, parents, tv viewers, and dadgum t-shirt vendors for not havin' enough "want-to."

GrapevineSooner
3/20/2009, 02:20 PM
I'm going to say Pitt.

Just because.

IronHorseSooner
3/21/2009, 09:42 AM
UCONN and Pitt. Neither make it out of the weekend. Like I've said for a few weeks, they are not the same without Dyson. Force them to shoot threes, like the 'Cuse and Pitt did, and they fall like a house of cards. Pitt wins ugly, and that will catch up with them against a hot shooting team. OSU can definitely do that. Even though there isn't a whole lot of love here for OSU and A&M, it would be funny as all get out to have two eastern powers get ousted by middle-of-the-pack Big XII teams.