PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Martin Brodeur!

JohnnyMack
3/17/2009, 09:04 PM
Brodeur gets win 552, becomes NHL's all-time winningest netminder.
http://nbcsportsmedia4.msnbc.com/j/apmegasports/200903171958719238209-pf.h2.jpg

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Martin Brodeur stands alone among NHL goaltenders.

Brodeur posted his 552nd win and passed childhood idol and Hall of Famer Patrick Roy for the most career victories in league history. He made 30 saves in the New Jersey Devils ' 3-2 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday night.

The victory came in Brodeur's 987th game of a 15-year career played entirely with the Devils.

During that tenure, the likable Brodeur has led the Devils to three Stanley Cup titles and won the Vezina Trophy four times as the league's top goalie.

Now he holds the wins record, and others could soon fall. He is within four shutouts of passing Terry Sawchuk (103) for the league record, and at 36 he has a chance to push his win total well beyond 600.

''If this continues being fun, I'll stick around for a long time,'' Brodeur said during an on-ice interview after the game.

Brodeur secured the victory with a pad save against Troy Brouwer in the waning seconds and then jumped in the air, pulling his knee to his chest after the final buzzer. He pumped his right arm and stick and then was mobbed by teammates.

After about a minute, they let him stand alone in front of the net and accept the cheers of the crowd. Brodeur then started to cut the net from the crossbar, only to stop and take a victory lap around the ice, high-fiving his coaches as he past the bench.

While the crowd roared, teammates finished the job of taking the net down. Brodeur eventually took it and skated to the bench for an interview.

As he spoke, a deafening roar of ''Mart-tee, Mart-tee'' filled the arena.

Brodeur tied Roy's mark in an emotional setting, his hometown of Montreal on Saturday night with Roy in attendance.

With family in the crowd in Newark, Brodeur took the ice in front of a full house that cheered him from the warmup to the final buzzer, mostly with the echoing chant of ''Mart-tee, Mart-tee, Mart-tee.''

Those cheers turned to ''Thank you, Marty'' as the clock ticked down, and ''Marty's Better,'' once the record was his.

'' Martin Brodeur is the gold standard of goaltending - the model of character, consistency and commitment to the craft,'' NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a prepared statement. ''A champion. A winner above all.

''It is difficult to imagine any player who is more universally, and deservedly, respected,'' Bettman added. ''The National Hockey League is extremely proud of Martin, his historic achievement and his enduring contribution to our game.''

John Kochtoston
3/22/2009, 02:51 AM
Brodeur gets win 552, becomes NHL's all-time winningest netminder.
http://nbcsportsmedia4.msnbc.com/j/apmegasports/200903171958719238209-pf.h2.jpg
Martin Brodeur can die of gonorreah and rot in hell.

SoonerStormchaser
3/22/2009, 09:24 AM
Somebody's a Sean Avery fan...:rolleyes:

SoonerBorn68
3/22/2009, 09:36 AM
Suck it, Roy!

John Kochtoston
3/22/2009, 06:37 PM
Somebody's a Sean Avery fan...:rolleyes:

Rangers, generally, but Avery's not so bad.

JohnnyMack
3/22/2009, 09:58 PM
Rangers, generally, but Avery's not so bad.

Sean Avery couldn't carry Brodeur's left nut.

StoopTroup
3/22/2009, 10:03 PM
I had no idea who he was. WOW!

MartinBrodeur.com (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=39024)

John Kochtoston
3/23/2009, 01:32 AM
Oh, Brodeur's a better hockey player, no question. But, I thought everyone's overreaction to Avery's "I'm not touching you!" dance in front of MB was silly. Not as silly as the overreaction to Avery's "sloppy seconds" comment, but an overreaction, nonetheless.

I'm not arguing Brodeur's skill. I don't argue Danny Manning's either, but I still call him Danny ****ing Manning.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2009, 01:46 AM
Martin Brodeur not only tends goal better than anyone else, he's able to handle two wives at once.

Charles, you want me to see if'n I can get you a Scott Gomez autograph this summer? I bump into him around town once or twice a month in the offseason.

John Kochtoston
3/23/2009, 09:06 AM
Charles, you want me to see if'n I can get you a Scott Gomez autograph this summer? I bump into him around town once or twice a month in the offseason.

Certainly, no question. Thanks. I'd be happy to send you something Rangers for him to sign, if you'd be willing. Last thing I need is a pic with him in his Devils sweater, posing with the Stanley Cup.

JohnnyMack
3/23/2009, 09:27 AM
Scott Gomez can eat a dick. Traitor. :D

John Kochtoston
3/23/2009, 08:20 PM
Martin Brodeur not only tends goal better than anyone else, he's able to handle two wives at once.

If I can't get something Rangers to you, a check for about 20-25% of his salary would be pretty nice.

GrapevineSooner
3/24/2009, 08:56 AM
Brodeur is a fraud (http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/).

Or so says that blogger.

Scott D
3/24/2009, 03:44 PM
That blogger mentioned Ed Belfour far too many times for me to take him seriously.

His argument is like not giving Ken Dryden any credit for his wins and play behind what was a very dominant Montreal Canadiens team of the 70s. In the end, Brodeur at a very high percentage stops not only the shots he's supposed to stop, but a fair share of shots he "shouldn't" stop.

I'm no Brodeur fan, but in my opinion his greater accomplishment will be his inevitable breaking of Terry Sawchuk's shutout record by the middle of next season.

GrapevineSooner
3/28/2009, 08:17 AM
Here's another thought.

If Brodeur truly was a product of the system in New Jersey, don't you think the Devils would have gone with a cheaper version of him much earlier in his career?