3/17/2009, 07:34 AM
has launched a new website.

http://www.utulsa.edu/

Proving once again,

Tulsa > OKC;)

badger
3/17/2009, 08:18 AM
Tulsa > OKC;)

While I agree with the quoted part of your statement, there are also other factors to consider when rating Univ. of Tulsa "highest." For example, it has the highest tuition also, does it not? Or is it beat out by another private school in-state...

Lott's Bandana
3/17/2009, 08:58 AM
Rankings suck.

We need a playoff.

Okla-homey
3/17/2009, 09:56 AM
While I agree with the quoted part of your statement, there are also other factors to consider when rating Univ. of Tulsa "highest." For example, it has the highest tuition also, does it not? Or is it beat out by another private school in-state...

methinks OCU and TU charge about the same tuition. OCU however, is not even in the Top Hunnert.

yermom
3/17/2009, 10:26 AM
good luck in the NIT ;)

Frozen Sooner
3/17/2009, 11:36 AM
Homey, care to share what the Tulsa School of Law is ranked vs. the OU School of Law?

:D

bri
3/17/2009, 12:37 PM
good luck in the NIT ;)

typical zero u. you can't compete at academics, so you resort to sports smack.

Heh.

King Crimson
3/17/2009, 12:51 PM
wow, a website.

Okla-homey
3/17/2009, 01:01 PM
Homey, care to share what the Tulsa School of Law is ranked vs. the OU School of Law?

:D

No shame. TU is ranked lower than OU by US News. That ranking has to do with level of endowment, bar passage rates, but most of all, average LSAT and undergrad GPA of admittees. It's really not difficult to understand that since OU Law costs about a third of TU Law, kids with the higher GPA's and LSAT's tend to go to the public law skool because its cheaper, all things being equal.

Frozen Sooner
3/17/2009, 02:19 PM
Law school rankings are pretty funny, actually. Apparently Alabama's been on a quest to improve their ranking for the last few years so the Dean's been gaming the system quite a bit.

Like one of the ranking criteria had to do with food service available at the school. So he got some donors to pony up and put a cafe in. Another criteria had to do with library square footage-boom! Knocked down a couple of walls and increased the library square footage.

And yeah, a big one is average GPA and LSAT of incoming first years. They throw the scholarship money around pretty generously for anyone with a 165 or above it looks like.

Lott's Bandana
3/17/2009, 02:33 PM
No shame. TU is ranked lower than OU by US News. That ranking has to do with LENGTH of endowment, bar passage rates, but most of all, average LSAT and undergrad GPA of admittees. .

Fixed.

Okla-homey
3/17/2009, 06:40 PM
Law school rankings are pretty funny, actually. Apparently Alabama's been on a quest to improve their ranking for the last few years so the Dean's been gaming the system quite a bit.

Like one of the ranking criteria had to do with food service available at the school. So he got some donors to pony up and put a cafe in. Another criteria had to do with library square footage-boom! Knocked down a couple of walls and increased the library square footage.

And yeah, a big one is average GPA and LSAT of incoming first years. They throw the scholarship money around pretty generously for anyone with a 165 or above it looks like.

If you look at private law skools, other than the Ivy's, the vast majority are tier IV's nowadays. TU was Tier II as late as the early 1990's, then they lowered admission requirements and the rankings headed south. As we speak, I'm informed they are raising admissions mins again, and correspondingly lowering class sizes, in order to claw their way back up. The rankers also hate night school and part-time students. TU put the kibosh on night classes for the most part, and while its still technically possible to go part-time, you must have a job that allows you to attend required classes in the daytime since none are offered at night anymore.

Regarding Alabama, it is a fine school, but I simply wouldn't want to practice there. The thing about law skool generally is, except for the Ivy's, most people end up practicing within a couple hundred miles of where they went to school because that is where they get their clerkships and internships during those two critical law skool summers. Additionally, and speaking as objectively as possible, at any but the Ivy's, the key is class rank and grades as to the kind of opportunities a person gets. OU, TU, Alabama, Baylor, whatever. Top 15 percent at any of those schools equals about the same type of gig after bar passage.

NYC Poke
3/17/2009, 07:19 PM
I went to law school at Washington & Lee, and they definitely played the rankings game. I had a low GPA (I had a semester of 15 hours of 0.00 where I enrolled in classes, never dropped, and never showed up to class), but a higher LSAT score than their median. They could admit me because the USNAWR rankings go off medians, so my GPA wouldn't really pull theirs down, and they could admit applicants with stellar GPAs whose LSAT scores were below the median. By doing this they were able to claim that we were tied with Cornell for 11th most qualified class when going by objective admissions criteria.

Volumes in the stacks doesn't really make much sense now, either. When I was researching my note for law review, I did all of it online. Considering median starting salaries for grads is misleading also because is inflates the schools located in or near large legal markets where salaries are higher, and it penalizes schools like Northeastern that emphasive public interest work.

Bar passage rate is pretty worthless to. That should be used to rank whichever bar prep service you used. Unless a bar passage rate is noticeably low, it really doesn't tell you anything about the school.

AimForCenterMass
3/18/2009, 02:00 AM
Proving once again,

Tulsa > OKC;)

Well, if you don't want to pay the $24,000 per year to attend TU (ranked #83), you can always drive 73 miles to the nearest public university. We in OKC will just have to settle for OU (ranked #108) for just over half the price of TU. Of course, if that's too much, one has the option of attending UCO for just under $11,000 per year (about 46% of the price of Tulsa). Having access to two public universities, one of which is nearly equivalent in "national prestige", for half the price seems more beneficial than being limited to Tulsa and Oral Roberts.

Don't get me wrong, I love T-Town. However, if my decision of where to attend schools comes down to Oklahoma City and Tulsa, I'd choose OKC. Considering UCO and OU dwarf Tulsa and Oral Roberts in terms of student body, I believe others (about 45,000) share my sentiment.