PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite thing about the tournament?

8timechamps
3/16/2009, 01:19 PM
I am a football fan through and through. I played football from the time I was 6 years old until I was out of high school. I will watch just about any football game, at just about any time. I coach my kid’s football team, and love just about anything and everything football.

But, short of our Sooners playing in a national title game, this[/i] is the best part of the sports year for me.

For me, the first weekend of the tournament is the best. From about 10:00 in the morning, until late in the evening, there are games. I’ve got cable, so I only get what CBS and CBS College shows. However, I found out that the NCAA is providing a broadcast of all the games on line, for [b]FREE (www.ncaa.com), and in HD if your computer is up to it. All those “champion sponsors” must have paid well this year. This means that I can have the TV in my office on while listening/watching other games on my computer.

I love everything (sans the commercial aspect) of the tournament. Well, almost. I can’t turn the TV off fast enough when One Shining Moment comes on.

badger
3/16/2009, 01:49 PM
I like seeing all the tradition and passion of schools I didn't even know existed. I had a similar reaction when I first heard Utah's fight song when they broke the BCS with their mid-majorness. I have no idea what the words to the song are, but they should be "Utah" over and over judging the crowd's reaction every time it played... and wow, did they bring a crowd to that game!

As such, it's fun to see mid-major teams bus in hundreds of students and alumni when their team makes it farther than they should and watch them take on some major conference team that I probably have a reason to hate them for by now. For me, it's all about the spirit of college athletics.

soonervegas
3/16/2009, 02:00 PM
I like the David vs. Goliath aspect of the 1st two rounds....although that is going the way of the 8 track tape. #12 Arizona over #5 Utah just doesn't have the same feel as #12 College of Charleston over #5 Utah.

Other than that, 12 hours of do or die basketball 4 days in a row is pretty cool.

cheezyq
3/16/2009, 04:06 PM
I like the feeling of disappointment when my bracket goes to **** on the first day.

royalfan5
3/16/2009, 05:05 PM
One Shining Moment is the most awesomest montage in athletics.

KC//CRIMSON
3/16/2009, 05:21 PM
winning.

SoonerAcesUp
3/16/2009, 05:33 PM
The Cinderella

IronHorseSooner
3/16/2009, 06:44 PM
The way they announce the starting line ups at the Final 4.

MichiganSooner
3/16/2009, 07:13 PM
I like seeing the mid-majors beating some big time program. Funny thing about lots of the mid-majors: they are as big or bigger in students enrolled than the so-called big dogs. Of course, what I like best of all is the Sooners going to the Final Four.

Sooner04
3/16/2009, 07:15 PM
Well, let's see, I was there for this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FADAN3Bznwg).

And this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nog3HCj77j4) (the part at 0:17).

And this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn0n79N2oJ4) too.

soonerfan28
3/16/2009, 07:51 PM
Upsets.

JLEW1818
3/17/2009, 01:19 AM
getting hammered, duh!!!!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/17/2009, 08:53 AM
College football is still my favorite overall but especially since the major bowl games moved from being mostly on New Years Day to being spread over a 7-8 period I think the first 2 days of the NCAA tourney are the best days in sports.

Love the big upsets, except when OU is upset of course.

King Crimson
3/17/2009, 10:17 AM
Well, let's see, I was there for this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FADAN3Bznwg).

my pops went to all the games in that OKC regional. as i recall, every game was decided at the buzzer.

my favorite thing used to be skipping high school to watch the first two days. in the early days of ESPN....it was *obscene* to see that much basketball in two days.

primetime43
3/17/2009, 01:19 PM
Gus Johnson calling a close nailbitter game. He is spectacular. FYI: There is no more Packer this year which IMHO is a good thing. Clark kellogg is replacing him.

tommieharris91
3/17/2009, 01:46 PM
Gus Johnson calling a close nailbitter game. He is spectacular. FYI: There is no more Packer this year which IMHO is a good thing. Clark kellogg is replacing him.

Gus Johnson is going to call the Minneapolis games this weekend. Guess who's there. Right, Kansas.

8timechamps
3/17/2009, 04:55 PM

I like Billy Packer in doses. After a while, he grinds. However, Clark Kellogg is my favorite basketball guy. Has been since his first tournament.

Does anyone remember the first year he was on the CBS Sports desk during the tournament? They were coming back right after the completion of a game, and setting up for the next one. Apparently Clark didn't realize this, and was taking a bite of a sandwich (that was under the desk). They kept the camera on wide-angle, and he was trying so hard to put the sandwhich back and chew without looking like he was chewing. I laughed for about 15 minutes straight. It still makes me laugh.

ouflak
3/18/2009, 04:56 AM
I have to admit that something about filling in brackets just appeals to my nature. It's one of the things I really look forward to from the basketball season. Including the ESPN women's contest, I've filled in 24 brackets (8time's Yahoo(2), ESPN(10), CBSSportsline(1), Predictem(1)), and I'm mulling over doing the Sports Illustrated contest as well.

Some of you guys may remember that I'd done a Soonerfan's Best Poster bracket (Beano did the first one, then I did it for a few years). That was a lot of fun for me, though exhausting. It was a corrupt bracket ofcourse and I raked in a bunch of spek as a result. Ah the days....

We are blessed to have a basketball program that so consistently produces a NCAA tournament team. It's definitely even more 'fun' (can be excruciating at times) when we're in it.

8timechamps
3/18/2009, 10:39 PM
One Shining Moment is the most awesomest montage in athletics.

I'll give it kudos for the montage...but the music....that's really bad.

What makes the montage so good is that the memories are fresh in your mind (if you watch the tourney like I do). There's always one or two parts of the montage that make you go "Oh, yeah...I forgot about that".

AllAboutThe'O'
3/19/2009, 02:57 AM

Too bad they couldn't whack Jim Nantz along with Packer. I would give anything to hear Gus Johnson call all 63 games of the tournament, but I think the best team CBS has is Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery; those two work very well together.

I'm also in the belief that the first weekend of the tournament is by far better than the subsequent two.

okienole3
3/22/2009, 11:42 AM
One Shining Moment