PDA

View Full Version : This has to be on of the best NIT's in a long time.

soonerfan28
3/16/2009, 11:45 AM
I know that as Sooner fans we don't have to worry about our team in the NIT, but this season the NIT is loaded. You have Tulsa, SDSU, St Marys, Davidson and then 3 teams from the Big XII in Nebraska, Baylor and Kansas St. There are a lot of good games this year.

badger
3/16/2009, 11:52 AM
I was surprised to see so many "bubble" teams not as No. 1's in the NIT. I know there's only four No. 1's to issue, but it shows how mistaken they were in thinking they were going dancing. View it here. (http://www.nit.org/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/nit/sports/m-nit/auto_pdf/Bracket)

For example, KSU is a No. 4, but a few days ago their coach was begging to be let in the NCAA. Tulsa was thought to be a good pick for a mid-major to get an at-large, but they are also a No. 4 in the NIT. Dearly departed Davidson, after last year's magical run, is a 6-seed in the NIT.

When the NIT is this solid, the CBI also comes to mind... who were the best of the rest? Well, here's the CBI bracket. (http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/cbi09_bracket.pdf)

JLEW1818
3/16/2009, 12:27 PM
Go bears

Eielson
3/16/2009, 01:12 PM
Is it just me, or do the best teams in the NIT never win?

badger
3/16/2009, 01:43 PM
Is it just me, or do the best teams in the NIT never win?

It's not just you. The NIT is a letdown every year, but this year, it's a letdown for about half the field that thought they had a shot at getting in the NCAA (as noted earlier, 4-seeds in the NIT were considered possible bubbles for the NCAA tourney)

Thus, since half the field is in letdown mode, I think the better teams will have a better chance this year.

I think the entire postseason could use an overhaul.

Curly Bill
3/16/2009, 01:47 PM
It's not just you. The NIT is a letdown every year, but this year, it's a letdown for about half the field that thought they had a shot at getting in the NCAA (as noted earlier, 4-seeds in the NIT were considered possible bubbles for the NCAA tourney)

Thus, since half the field is in letdown mode, I think the better teams will have a better chance this year.

I think the entire postseason could use an overhaul.

...but...but...but... it's a playoff, isn't that the magic bullet we keep waiting for in football? ;)

badger
3/16/2009, 01:59 PM
...but...but...but... it's a playoff, isn't that the magic bullet we keep waiting for in football? ;)

Korekshun - it's now THREE playoffs. Three separate tournaments all in the same division to determine three separate and unequal champions.

Curly Bill
3/16/2009, 02:02 PM
Korekshun - it's now THREE playoffs. Three separate tournaments all in the same division to determine three separate and unequal champions.

Ah yes, tis what happens when that first camel gets it's nose under the tent...pretty soon all the camels will be in the tent.

badger
3/16/2009, 02:08 PM
Ah yes, tis what happens when that first camel gets it's nose under the tent...pretty soon all the camels will be in the tent.

Or, for a funnier take on the issue... NSFW!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/roZeYkioEAA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/roZeYkioEAA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Curly Bill
3/16/2009, 02:12 PM
That was allsome! :D

SoonerDood
3/16/2009, 05:51 PM
DARKEST SKETCH! DARKEST SKETCH!

royalfan5
3/16/2009, 06:02 PM
If it works out for Nebraska to play Creighton for the right to go New York it would be the perfect symbolism of basketball's status in the state of Nebraska.

Eielson
3/16/2009, 07:20 PM
A play-in tournament of 64 to see who gets the last spot in the NCAA tournament of 64! Bob Knight will be happy! Oh wait, he wanted 128 teams. Add a play-in game to the play-in tournament!

OU_Sooners75
3/16/2009, 07:45 PM

I think she means an overhaul as in how teams are picked. Not necessarily the system itself.

But, I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time.

Personally, I think the committee needs to be thrown out. Especially since a great number of the committee that picks the mens brackets do the womens as well.

I think what they need to do is do away from the committee altogether and replace it with rankings.

Throwing out human subjectiveness will make it better.

For example: St. Mary's should be in the tourney well before Arizona and a couple of other teams.

If we had a ranking system that selects the top 34 after auto bids, then St. Mary's would be in the big dance, not the NIT.