PDA

View Full Version : Brainteaser (this may be old, but it's new to me)

8timechamps
3/16/2009, 09:58 AM
I heard this over the weekend, and I think I’ve seen it posted on the innerwebs too.

Good Luck.

Three men on a road trip walk into a hotel for the night. They step to the counter and ask the manager how much one room for one night would cost. The manager replies that one room would cost $30 for the night.

The three men agree to take the room and each of the three put $10 on the counter to. The manager gives the men the room key and directions to the room.

After about fifteen minutes, the manger realizes that the hotel is running a special, and that the room should have only cost the men $25. The manager asks a bellhop to take the $5 dollars (in one dollar bills) to the room that the men are staying in, and pass along his apologies.

On the way to the room, the bellhop decides he could make some “extra” money on this deal. Since the manager never told the men about their overpayment, they would have no idea how much they would be getting back. So, the bellhop decides to keep $2 for himself, and give the men $3.

He gets to the room, explains to the men that they had over paid, and gives them $1 each.

Now, let’s recap:

The 3 men originally paid $10 each for the room ($30 total)

The manager realized his mistake and sent back a refund ($5)

The bellhop kept $2 for himself, giving the three men $3

Now, the three men have paid $9 each after the refund (3 x 9 = $27)
The bellhop kept $2 for himself (27 + 2 = $29)
The men originally paid $30 (30 – 29 = $1)

Where is the other dollar?

JohnnyMack
3/16/2009, 10:05 AM
Obama took it.

JohnnyMack
3/16/2009, 10:09 AM
If it was up your butt you'd know where it was.

olevetonahill
3/16/2009, 10:17 AM
Older than ME :rolleyes:

sitzpinkler
3/16/2009, 10:38 AM
They didn't pay $9 per person. Once you take the $5 away from the $30, you're left with $25 which leaves you with roughly $8.33 per person. There's the $2 the bellhop took and then the $3 he gave back. It's all accounted for.

JohnnyMack
3/16/2009, 10:49 AM
Zima.

badger
3/16/2009, 10:58 AM
Obama took it.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything at the compy or I would have spit it out when I read that. Good one :D

Everyone here has already answered it, but if you like these type of brain games, I highly recommend Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the Nintendo DS.

However, once you fall in love with the logic and British artistry, you will hate the developer because they have four games out in Japan, but only brought one to the U.S. so far. :mad:

badger
3/16/2009, 11:07 AM
Oh, eff it - if the South Oval is in a brainteasing mood, here is one of my favorite ones from the Professor Layton game...

You just arrived in Kansas City for the first round of the NCAA tourney when you realize that you forgot your camera. Spotting a street vendor with a lovely OU camera case and camera, you ask how much they are. The vendor responds:

"The case and the camera together are $310, but the camera case itself costs $300 less than the camera by itself."

Realizing you can get a cheaper and better camera elsewhere in KC, you hand the vendor a $100 bill to buy the cool OU camera case, but you notice an evil glint in his eye. How much change should you be receiving back from him?

JohnnyMack
3/16/2009, 11:27 AM
Does this mean we're gonna lose to Morgan State?

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2009, 11:37 AM
Oh, eff it - if the South Oval is in a brainteasing mood, here is one of my favorite ones from the Professor Layton game...

You just arrived in Kansas City for the first round of the NCAA tourney when you realize that you forgot your camera. Spotting a street vendor with a lovely OU camera case and camera, you ask how much they are. The vendor responds:

"The case and the camera together are $310, but the camera case itself costs $300 less than the camera by itself."

Realizing you can get a cheaper and better camera elsewhere in KC, you hand the vendor a $100 bill to buy the cool OU camera case, but you notice an evil glint in his eye. How much change should you be receiving back from him?

$95. The camera is $305, the case $5.

badger
3/16/2009, 11:38 AM
Yay, Frozo wins!

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2009, 11:39 AM
Why are manhole covers round?

badger
3/16/2009, 11:45 AM
Why are manhole covers round?

So that we can all giggle as elementary math students try to find all of the lines of symmetry.

badger
3/16/2009, 12:29 PM
Ok, so the real answer is so that the manhole can't fall in, unlike other shapes that can be rotated to fit within themselves.

For Mr. Smarty Frozen Sooner and others, here's one that will leave you stumped for awhile.
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/thumb_layton_006.jpg
You start with five squares formed by matchsticks. You must move two matchsticks ONLY ONCE in order to form four equal-sized squares - and you have to use all of the matchsticks to create the squares!

To minimize the frustration, here is the NSFW Penny Arcade take (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/2/13/) on these never ending matchstick puzzles.

Getem
3/16/2009, 01:05 PM
Ok, so the real answer is so that the manhole can't fall in, unlike other shapes that can be rotated to fit within themselves.

For Mr. Smarty Frozen Sooner and others, here's one that will leave you stumped for awhile.
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/thumb_layton_006.jpg
You start with five squares formed by matchsticks. You must move two matchsticks ONLY ONCE in order to form four equal-sized squares - and you have to use all of the matchsticks to create the squares!

To minimize the frustration, here is the NSFW Penny Arcade take (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/2/13/) on these never ending matchstick puzzles.

Leftmost stick on top moves over to the left, bottom stick 2nd from the left comes up and rotates to make a square with it, like dis:

_ _
_|_|_|_|
|_| |_|

badger
3/16/2009, 01:19 PM
Leftmost stick on top moves over to the left, bottom stick 2nd from the left comes up and rotates to make a square with it

:mad: Argggggh, I was hoping that one would go unsolved a little bit longer :mad:

we have a winner. BUT... I am still in a stump-you-all mood :)

The most challenging puzzle of all so far on this thread...

http://www.webster.uk.net/HobbiesAndInterests/IndoorHobbies/PontypoolChessClub/Images/chess_board_blank.gif

In chess, a queen can move horizontally, vertically and diagonally, making the queen the most powerful piece in the entire game. It's like the OU football of chess, it you would :)

On a standard 8 by 8 chess board, place eight queens on positions where they cannot attack each other.

8timechamps
3/16/2009, 01:25 PM
They didn't pay $9 per person. Once you take the $5 away from the $30, you're left with $25 which leaves you with roughly $8.33 per person. There's the $2 the bellhop took and then the $3 he gave back. It's all accounted for.

No, no, no...that can't be it. That makes too much sense. ;)

8timechamps
3/16/2009, 01:26 PM
If it was up your butt you'd know where it was.

How many times do i have to tell you, nobody but you keeps their money up their butt!

Getem
3/16/2009, 03:04 PM
:mad: Argggggh, I was hoping that one would go unsolved a little bit longer :mad:

we have a winner. BUT... I am still in a stump-you-all mood :)

The most challenging puzzle of all so far on this thread...

http://www.webster.uk.net/HobbiesAndInterests/IndoorHobbies/PontypoolChessClub/Images/chess_board_blank.gif

In chess, a queen can move horizontally, vertically and diagonally, making the queen the most powerful piece in the entire game. It's like the OU football of chess, it you would :)

On a standard 8 by 8 chess board, place eight queens on positions where they cannot attack each other.

Ok I had to write a program for this one. Is that cheating? :P

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
|x|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|x|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|x|
|_|_|_|_|_|x|_|_|
|_|_|x|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|x|_|
|_|x|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|x|_|_|_|_|

There are actually 92 solutions

badger
3/16/2009, 03:17 PM
Ok I had to write a program for this one. Is that cheating?

As you said, there are actually other solutions to this, because you can just rotate the board, of course. However, this is one of the correct solutions :mad:

Ok, another puzzle... hmmm...

Olevet brings his favorite drink to the SoonerFans.com tailgate in a 10 quart pitcher. Dean also brought an empty 7-quart pitcher and an empty 3-quart pitcher, but for some reason, Olevet and Dean want to split the drink evenly so that there are 5 quarts in two of the pitchers.

Using all three pitchers in nine pours, make it so that the 10-quart pitcher and 7-quart pitcher have exactly 5 quarts of the mystery drink in each.

JohnnyMack
3/16/2009, 03:22 PM
I'll go get John McClane and see if he can figure it out.

BRB

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2009, 03:27 PM
a=10qt pitcher
b=7qt pitcher
c=3qt pitcher

1. Fill c from a, leaving 3 in c and 7 in a
2. Empty c into b, leaving 0 in c 7 in a and 3 in b
3. Fill c from a, leaving 4 in a, 3 in b, 3 in c.
4. Empty c into b, leaving 4 in a, 6 in b, 0 in c
5. fill c from a, leaving 1 in a, 6 in b, 3 in c
6. fill b from c, leaving 1 in a, 7 in b, 2 in c
7. fill a from b, leaving 8 in a, 0 in b, 2 in c
8. fill b from c, leaving 8 in a, 2 in b, 0 in c
9. fill c from a, leaving 5 in a, 2 in b, 3 in c
10. fill b from c, leaving 5 in a, 5 in b.

I've got a duplicate step in there somewhere. But that gets it done.

Getem
3/16/2009, 03:28 PM
Sorry, I'm Baptist. Someone else?:)

badger
3/16/2009, 03:54 PM
Frozo is close enough to the answer that I'm willing to part with another puzzle :) This one comes in many forms, usually as wolves and chicks, but I'll try to modify it for this board.

Gracious hospitality and good sportsmanship, being traditions at the University of Oklahoma, caused several Sooner fans to offer to carpool on the Sooner Schooner south to Dallas with three whorn fans (who reside in Oklahoma, yes) for the OU-Texas game. Unfortunately, the Red River stands in their way.

The Schooner can only transport a maximum two people at once across the Red River.

The Schooner can only travel across the Red River if at least one person is aboard.

It gets better - if Sooners outnumber the whorns at any given time on either side of the Red River, the mentions of last year's BCS situation will become too much to handle and the Sooners will beat up the whorns.

So, using the Schooner, transport all six people across the Red River so that they can all witness OU crushing Texas, alive and well, without anyone getting beat up.

Also, so that they don't miss the game, please try not to take more than 10 moves across the river to get everyone on the south side.

Getem
3/16/2009, 03:58 PM
Oh all right, I'll pretend it's lemonade. Plus I'm now one post from 1000.

start 10-00-00
1 3-7-0 a to b
2 3-4-3 b to c
3 6-4-0 c to a
4 6-1-3 b to c
5 9-1-0 c to a
6 9-0-1 b to c
7 2-7-1 a to b
8 2-5-3 b to c
9 5-5-0 c to b

Getem
3/16/2009, 04:01 PM
Frozo is close enough to the answer that I'm willing to part with another puzzle :) This one comes in many forms, usually as wolves and chicks, but I'll try to modify it for this board.

Gracious hospitality and good sportsmanship, being traditions at the University of Oklahoma, caused several Sooner fans to offer to carpool on the Sooner Schooner south to Dallas with three whorn fans for the OU-Texas game. Unfortunately, the Red River stands in their way.

The Schooner can only transport a maximum two people at once across the Red River.

The Schooner can only travel across the Red River if at least one person is aboard.

It gets better - if Sooners outnumber the whorns at any given time on either side of the Red River, the mentions of last year's BCS situation will become too much to handle and the Sooners will beat up the whorns.

So, using the Schooner, transport all six people across the Red River so that they can all witness OU crushing Texas, alive and well, without anyone getting beat up.
For my 1000th post

I like this puzzle

sitzpinkler
3/16/2009, 04:10 PM

So... the object of the game is to get more Sooners on both sides? :D

badger
3/16/2009, 04:15 PM
So... the object of the game is to get more Sooners on both sides? :D

That would be impossible, since there is an odd number of Sooner and Whorn fans... but just for you, a variation.

On the way back home, after the Sooners crushed Texas 66-12, one of the former whorn fans converted to OU, meaning there are now 4 OU fans and 2 whorn fans on the schooner.

3 Sooner fans have crossed the Red River going north so far, leaving one Sooner and two whorns on the south side. However, the mentions of the BCS are not subsiding despite being outnumbered now.

In the fewest moves possible, with the same rules as above, make it so that Sooners outnumber whorns on both the north and the south sides at once so that they can shut them up.

Also, an important detail - the Schooner is currently on the north side of the Red River, so your first move will be transporting at least one person south.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/16/2009, 04:21 PM
I got this.

One OU fan, one Texass fan.

OU fan throws Texass fan in the river to drown.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Applaud recruiting national championships as a token memorial.

badger
3/16/2009, 04:24 PM
hmmm....

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2009, 06:42 PM
Dang it Badg, I've worked it twice and can't get it in under 11 moves.

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2009, 07:23 PM
OK, the scenario is this:

Bottom of the fifth inning. Score is 0-0. No outs, nobody on, no strikes, no balls.

2A steps in and doubles off the right field wall.
3A gets hit by the next pitch
4A pops up and the umpire makes the call "Infield Fly, batter out!" which is confirmed by the 1st base umpire.
1B comes in to make the catch and muffs it-the ball lands in fair territory then rolls to foul.
In frustration, 1B throws his glove at the ball, striking it in foul territory.
Managers of both team A and team B rush the field. Team A manager says that 4A should be awarded first. Team B manager says that the ball was dead.

What is the correct call and what's the score and count after everything is sorted out?

By the way, this is apparently an actual question on the umping certification exam.

GottaHavePride
3/16/2009, 08:29 PM
To the original question:

(I have not read any posted responses yet.)

The room cost $25 with the discount. Split three ways, that's $8.33 per guy in the room. (Or $8.33, $8.33, and $8.34 in practical terms.) The total there is $25.

Add the one dollar each they received back from the bellhop. 25 + 3 = 28.

Plus the 2 the bellhop kept. 28 + 2 = 30.

GottaHavePride
3/16/2009, 08:31 PM

$95

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2009, 08:52 PM

Bottom of the fifth inning. Score is 0-0. No outs, nobody on, no strikes, no balls.

4A pops up and the umpire makes the call "Infield Fly, batter out!" which is confirmed by the 1st base umpire.
1B comes in to make the catch and muffs it-the ball lands in fair territory then rolls to foul.
Managers of both team A and team B rush the field. Team A manager says that 4A should be awarded first. Team B manager says that the ball was dead.

What is the correct call and what's the score and count after everything is sorted out?

By the way, this is apparently an actual question on the umping certification exam.

To the original question:

(I have not read any posted responses yet.)

The room cost $25 with the discount. Split three ways, that's $8.33 per guy in the room. (Or $8.33, $8.33, and $8.34 in practical terms.) The total there is $25.

Add the one dollar each they received back from the bellhop. 25 + 3 = 28.

Plus the 2 the bellhop kept. 28 + 2 = 30.

:Les: YOU CAN'T SCORE 8.33 IN BASEBALL!

JohnnyMack
3/16/2009, 09:51 PM

As soon as the ump invokes the infield fly rule 4A is out. Period. Doesn't matter if the ball explodes in a roach filled confetti that ends up threatening the existence of western civilization, the batter is out.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/16/2009, 09:57 PM
As soon as the ump invokes the infield fly rule 4A is out. Period. Doesn't matter if the ball explodes in a roach filled confetti that ends up threatening the existence of western civilization, the batter is out.

What he said.

NEXT!

A priest, a rabbi, and a minister walk into a bar...

JohnnyMack
3/16/2009, 09:58 PM
...the duck says, "rectum? I damn near killed him!"

Tulsa_Fireman
3/16/2009, 10:00 PM
NEXT!

A white guy, a black guy, and a mexican are in a rowboat...

badger
3/16/2009, 10:10 PM
Dang it Badg, I've worked it twice and can't get it in under 11 moves.

A "move" is one schooner trip north to south, or south to north.

The "move" counter was not counting the final move, for some odds reason. It's impossible to finish with an even number of moves. The least amount of moves is 11 if you do not count the final move... and I don't know why you wouldn't!

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2009, 11:24 PM

Partially correct. 4A is out.

However, the muffed ball is live and the runners may advance. Since both managers have left the dugout, the umpire should call time and warn both dugouts. Since 1B has thrown his equipment and struck a live ball, both baserunners are awarded two bases after the timeout.

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2009, 11:25 PM
A "move" is one schooner trip north to south, or south to north.

The "move" counter was not counting the final move, for some odds reason. It's impossible to finish with an even number of moves. The least amount of moves is 11 if you do not count the final move... and I don't know why you wouldn't!

Oh. OK, then. I got it.

JLEW1818
3/17/2009, 01:29 AM
I heard this over the weekend, and I think I’ve seen it posted on the innerwebs too.

Good Luck.

Three men on a road trip walk into a hotel for the night. They step to the counter and ask the manager how much one room for one night would cost. The manager replies that one room would cost $30 for the night.

The three men agree to take the room and each of the three put $10 on the counter to. The manager gives the men the room key and directions to the room.

After about fifteen minutes, the manger realizes that the hotel is running a special, and that the room should have only cost the men $25. The manager asks a bellhop to take the $5 dollars (in one dollar bills) to the room that the men are staying in, and pass along his apologies.

On the way to the room, the bellhop decides he could make some “extra” money on this deal. Since the manager never told the men about their overpayment, they would have no idea how much they would be getting back. So, the bellhop decides to keep $2 for himself, and give the men $3.

He gets to the room, explains to the men that they had over paid, and gives them $1 each.

Now, let’s recap:

The 3 men originally paid $10 each for the room ($30 total)

The manager realized his mistake and sent back a refund ($5)

The bellhop kept $2 for himself, giving the three men $3

Now, the three men have paid $9 each after the refund (3 x 9 = $27)
The bellhop kept $2 for himself (27 + 2 = $29)
The men originally paid $30 (30 – 29 = $1)

Where is the other dollar?

It has to do with order of operations, and accounting techniques. You can't just say 3 x 9, even though that is what it seems to be. I had this in high school and it about gave me a heart attack trying to figure it out.

JLEW1818
3/17/2009, 01:33 AM
Also

If he over charged them 5 dollars then they would have not paid 9 dollars each, so its not 3 at 9 dollars.

badger
3/17/2009, 07:23 AM
Ok, so while nobody has posted the answer to the river crossing puzzles, I will assume that everyone got them OK because they're fairly straight-forward... or, you can just get the whorns beat up. It's win-win :D

For today's puzzle, a one-liner. As in, you cannot lift your pen/pencil off the paper, you cannot retrace any part of the drawing... but you can cross your lines if desired.

http://i41.tinypic.com/4s0482.gif

Using these methods (one line, no retracing, you can cross lines you've already made), you can make three of these drawings. One of these is impossible, however. Which one is it?

TMcGee86
3/17/2009, 10:43 AM
The house.

badger
3/17/2009, 10:56 AM
Robert Gates would be proud of you, Aggie :D

In your A&M honor, a puzzle designed just for your new rivalry with Texas Tech!

Mike Leach's pirate ship is sinking! There are 15 Red Raiders aboard, but only one life boat - Argh! The boat can carry five people at once and the closest point of safety, Sand Aggie Island, is 5 minutes away.

Leach's ship will sink in exactly 20 minutes. A round trip to the island is 10 minutes. Unfortunately, these waters are infested with raging Aggie Fish deployed by the Corps of Cadets, so swimming to safety is not an option.

How many of the 15 Red Raiders aboard Mikey's Pirate Ship will survive?

Frozen Sooner
3/17/2009, 11:13 AM
Assuming 0 load time 13

TMcGee86
3/17/2009, 11:17 AM
Hmm, that's a tough one.

My first guess would be 9.

This assumes that at the moment the boat sinks, no one could jump to the life boat that just arrived back from the island.

If they could, then my guess becomes 13.

However, all of this assumes this isn't a trick question and the answer is none of the Raiders aboard the ship survive since the ship sinks. Just the ones that made it to safety survive.

badger
3/17/2009, 11:22 AM
Load time is zero, so yes, Frozo and Tmac get another one... Good thing this game has more than 200 puzzles... let's just do a number teaser, shall we?

Everyone knows Oklahoma has seven national championships, but "7" is a more common number than you might think. In fact "7" appears often when you count from 1 to 100!

So... how often DOES that magical championship number appear counting 1-100? There is absolutely no trick to this - you just count, but count carefully.

Frozen Sooner
3/17/2009, 11:27 AM

badger
3/17/2009, 11:29 AM

:D I knew if I waited long enough I could get a wrong answer outta ya. Care to try again?

Frozen Sooner
3/17/2009, 11:33 AM

Though I argue 77 should only count as one instance.

badger
3/17/2009, 11:38 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/ml5h6h.jpg
:D Your benevolent teacher will only fail you once for two wrong answers... but will pass you if your third answer is correct. Care to try again?

Frozen Sooner
3/17/2009, 11:41 AM
Dur. I'm stupid. Didn't count the entire series of 70s.

I fail.

sitzpinkler
3/17/2009, 11:42 AM
The answer is 19. ;)

sitzpinkler
3/17/2009, 11:44 AM
Damn it, Froze, now I look like a fraud.

badger
3/17/2009, 11:44 AM
The answer is 19. ;)

frozo, give this man your dunce hat. :D

SoonerAtKU
3/17/2009, 11:47 AM
It's 20 if I'm counting properly.

Yup, counting the 77 twice, it's 20.

Frozen Sooner
3/17/2009, 11:48 AM

What's worse is this isn't the first time I've encountered this one.

sitzpinkler
3/17/2009, 11:50 AM
frozo, give this man your dunce hat. :D

I just got pwned. Damn it.

badger
3/17/2009, 12:03 PM
That was fun... I'll have to find another similar one to see if I can't fool you all again :D

But for now... another Red River puzzle:

With the dawning of more wins among Big 12 South teams, a few think they are now rivals and will fight without a mediator. The Sooner, being the winningest one since World War 2, makes sure that the Whorn, the Poke and the Raider do not fight.

They are all currently on the north side of the Red River, looking to cross to the south (you know, for recruiting and stuff). The Sooner must navigate the raft at all times.

However, should the Sooner leave the Whorn unattended, it will kick the crap out of the Raider.

If the Sooner isn't there to stop it, the Raider will beat up the Poke.

In seven moves, get everyone safely across the Red River.

Also, because it is a small raft, the Sooner can only take one "rival" at a time. However, the Sooner can travel alone if it wants.

TMcGee86
3/17/2009, 12:21 PM
Move 1, take Raider across (contemplate tossing him overboard, think better of it and push forward)

Move 2, go back

Move three, take whorn across, leave Poke

Move four, drop off whorn, take radier back

Move five, drop off raider, pick up Poke,

Move six, drop off poke, head back for raider

Move seven, take raider across and get to recruitin.

badger
3/17/2009, 12:31 PM
Well, now that all four are across, they need to setup recruiting boundaries, right?
http://i44.tinypic.com/14tucsz.jpg
Well, recruiters want to do that up in Iowa, home of the OU women's basketball first two tourney games. You see, four recruiters in Iowa want equal land - they all need a house, they all need a well and they want their land to each be the exact same shape... you know, so that recruits won't favor one farm over the other, even after Iowa gets crushed by OU and they all want to play in Oklahoma instead :D

So... make these Hawkeyes happy... at least until their inevitable loss to the Sooner women ;)

TMcGee86
3/17/2009, 02:43 PM
holy crap that took a long time to figure out.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/meyer86/14tucsz.jpg

And I'm assuming you can go diagonal. If not this has me completely stumped.

badger
3/17/2009, 02:55 PM
I should reward you for your creativity. However, the original solution has all four farmers/recruiters with equal sized and shaped land... AND there are no unoccupied recruiting/farming squares left in the 6 X 6 grid.

However, that solution can be saved for a different day. Well done. Ready for another pitcher puzzle?

Olevet has once again bestowed a full pitcher of juice on the SoonerFans.com tailgate. This time, it's in an 8-quart pitcher. Gracious host Dean wants to split the juice fairly 4 quarts and 4 quarts... for some reason. So, he provides empty 5-gallon and 3-gallon pitchers for the job.

People are thirsty in this Oklahoma sun - get the job done in seven moves!

Frozen Sooner
3/17/2009, 04:03 PM
start a8 b0 c0
1 a3 b5 c0
2 a3 b2 c3
3 a6 b2 c0
4 a6 b0 c2
5 a1 b5 c2
6 a1 b4 c3
7 a4 b4 c0

badger
3/17/2009, 04:48 PM
frozo 4 teh win. Here's one that should carry through until tomorrow...

The clock on Oklahoma Memorial Student Union rings "Boomer Sooner," "Oklahoma Hail" "Fight for OKU" but first, on the hour every hour, it chimes once for each hour. However, this particular clock chime likes to take it's dear ol' time ringing - each bell chime takes five seconds before it will chime again. At 5 p.m., it will chime five times, for example.

It is now 12 p.m. at the university. How long will it take for you to hear all 12 chimes from the legendary clock?

Frozen Sooner
3/17/2009, 05:09 PM
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12

55 seconds. Unless the clock has already struck noon, in which case it will be 12 hours and 55 seconds.

Unless I'm missing something.

badger
3/17/2009, 10:14 PM
Ok... looks like you all need one more for overnight to tide you over.

Trying to rekindle the magic of the 2002 basketball season, you call a Sooner seance to recapture Hollis Price's spirit and determination and light 10 candles (you know, because he had jersey No. 10).

Unfortunately, Oklahoma is windy and you forget to close a window and three of your Hollis candles go out. Grumbling about how your seance is now for football championships with only seven candles lit now, you close the window to prevent future Oklahoma winds from interrupting.

Assuming no other candles are extinguished, how many candles are left?

Frozen Sooner
3/17/2009, 10:50 PM
Um, you have 10 candles. Just three of them aren't lit anymore.

Actually, your number of candles is indeterminate from the information presented. I assume you only had 10 candles to begin with.

badger
3/18/2009, 08:28 AM
Call me dumb but I don't understand...
step 1: how does one pour just 5 qts (1.25 gal) of "a" into "b" (the 5 gal pitcher) ?

:D jo-jo caught me in typo mode. all pitchers are quart pitchers, not gallon pitchers. Dean's pitchers are 5 quarts and 3 quarts. :)

Um, you have 10 candles. Just three of them aren't lit anymore.

Actually, your number of candles is indeterminate from the information presented. I assume you only had 10 candles to begin with.

There are only 10 Hollis candles total in your house. Ever since the invention of flashlights nobody has candles stockpiled anymore, so there are only 10 candles remotely near you to begin with that you purchased for this special Sooner seance.

But 10 is not the correct final answer, regardless.

SoonerAtKU
3/18/2009, 10:07 AM
Then the answer would be 3. This assumes that the remaining 7 all burned down to nothing, leaving the 3 extinguished ones left.

badger
3/18/2009, 10:24 AM
Then the answer would be 3. This assumes that the remaining 7 all burned down to nothing, leaving the 3 extinguished ones left.

:mad: no fooling you, eh? Wellll... that is the correct answer, but I'll get you on this next one... even if there's a 1 in 26 shot you'll choose the correct answer...

It is American Idol night on Fox and an awful singer sings "Message in a Bottle." This reminds you to check that message you found in a bottle down by Norman's Lake Thunderbird:

_ is 1,000 _ _

Being a Sooner, you are smart enough to figure out that to make this into a complete, correct sentence, all you need to do is put the same letter in each blank to make the statement correct.

The problem is... which letter goes in each blank?

SoonerAtKU
3/18/2009, 10:48 AM
M

one meter is one thousand millimeters.

badger
3/18/2009, 11:08 AM
WRONG! No...wait... that's correct. Maybe I need to go with puzzles that have fewer possible answers?

You visit Barry Switzer Center to polish your crystal football trophy when you notice that it is broken. Four incredibly guilty looking Big 12 South little brothers (and that saint from Baylor) stand nearby...

Poke: Aggie broke the trophy!
Aggie: Raider did it!
Whorn: I didn't do it!
Raider: Aggie's a big fat liar, like Dennis Franchione!
St. Bear: I think Kim Mulkey's hotter than Sherri Coale!

Only one of your little South brothers is telling the truth and more importantly, one is going to get his arse kicked for breaking your trophy! Who're the liars, who broke your trophy and who's telling the truth?

TMcGee86
3/18/2009, 11:28 AM
Whorn broke the trophy, Raider is telling the truth, the rest are liars.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 11:31 AM
:D jo-jo caught me in typo mode. all pitchers are quart pitchers, not gallon pitchers. Dean's pitchers are 5 quarts and 3 quarts. :)

There are only 10 Hollis candles total in your house. Ever since the invention of flashlights nobody has candles stockpiled anymore, so there are only 10 candles remotely near you to begin with that you purchased for this special Sooner seance.

But 10 is not the correct final answer, regardless.

I object. There is nothing in the initial problem that indicates that any time has elapsed since the window was closed. Since the seven candles are still lit at this time, they cannot have burned to nonexistence.

badger
3/18/2009, 11:37 AM
Whorn broke the trophy, Raider is telling the truth, the rest are liars.

I see that you originally had St. Bear as the truth teller, but even though St. Bear and SicEm too claim this to be their true feelings, I think we all know that Baylor men secretly desire the class act Coale over Coach Skeletor :D

Onto our next puzzle, where David Boren just dedicated the (INSERT DONOR'S NAME HERE) HUGE HALL. While empty for the time being, it is expected to host everything, from musical concerts, dances, to meetings, to basketball games to events where they bring rich donors in to contribute to future building construction costs.

Now, it's time to pick chairs that will be used in Huge Hall. These chairs will be the only chairs used at this hall for the various events and stacked into tiny storage areas when necessary.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2i0u35s.jpg

With apologies to SF.com's Most Awesome 60s Chair, which chairs should David Boren select for Huge Hall?

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 11:38 AM
E is the only chair that can fit into itself for storage.

badger
3/18/2009, 11:47 AM
I object. There is nothing in the initial problem that indicates that any time has elapsed since the window was closed. Since the seven candles are still lit at this time, they cannot have burned to nonexistence.

overruled! as stated, you must assume that no other candles are extinguished. Therefore, candles that were not extinguished will turn into melted puddles of wax. :P

E is the only chair that can fit into itself for storage.
Correct!

This next puzzle (I would love others to contribute puzzles too though - you know, so that I'm not the judge/jury on incorrect/correct answers all the time hehe) is all about numbers again.

BAMMER MATH ALERT! Somebody has been writing nonsense on teacher's chalkboard!

8-6=2
8+6=2

However, like Bammer Math to Crimson Tide fans, these equations are correct to some if interpreted in a certain way. Using this same method, solve the following equation:

7+6=?

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 12:25 PM
overruled! as stated, you must assume that no other candles are extinguished. Therefore, candles that were not extinguished will turn into melted puddles of wax. :P

While I respect the court's decision in this matter, I would like to note for the official record that the court's reasoning supports my claim, in that if we assume no other candle has extinguished then we MUST assume that no candle has burned to nothingness-which would surely extinguinsh the candle. Too, if were are to assume an infinite timeframe, then we would have to state that 0 candles remain.

BudSooner
3/18/2009, 12:43 PM
a=10qt pitcher
b=7qt pitcher
c=3qt pitcher

1. Fill c from a, leaving 3 in c and 7 in a
2. Empty c into b, leaving 0 in c 7 in a and 3 in b
3. Fill c from a, leaving 4 in a, 3 in b, 3 in c.
4. Empty c into b, leaving 4 in a, 6 in b, 0 in c
5. fill c from a, leaving 1 in a, 6 in b, 3 in c
6. fill b from c, leaving 1 in a, 7 in b, 2 in c
7. fill a from b, leaving 8 in a, 0 in b, 2 in c
8. fill b from c, leaving 8 in a, 2 in b, 0 in c
9. fill c from a, leaving 5 in a, 2 in b, 3 in c
10. fill b from c, leaving 5 in a, 5 in b.

I've got a duplicate step in there somewhere. But that gets it done.

This sound like the gem Jeremy Irons tried to get Bruce Willis to do in Die Hard with a vengence right? I swear to this day..i've yet to figure that one out.

badger
3/18/2009, 01:22 PM
we MUST assume that no candle has burned to nothingness-which would surely extinguinsh the candle.

I will once again overrule this, as acting spelling police :D

However, I will give you an appeal if you can figure out Bammer math before anyone else.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 01:25 PM
As a matriculate of the University of Alabama, I refuse to participate.

Chalk up another national title.

badger
3/18/2009, 01:44 PM
As a matriculate of the University of Alabama, I refuse to participate.

Chalk up another national title.

All right then, I find you guilty of brainteaser answer questioning. Your sentence is to ignore the first candle puzzle and solve this alternative candle puzzle instead!

Ending his Sooner seance Frozen Sooner takes the remaining three candles (yes, THREE) that are left and first throws one at badger across cyberspace. Ouch.

Angrily, badger somehow cuts Frozo's electricity in retaliation, so Frozo must use his two remaining candles to light his room while he studies. Both candles are of equal length but one thicker than the other. The thick candle is supposed to last for six hours and the thin candle for two hours less. When Frozo finally went to sleep and blew out the candles, the thick candle was exactly twice as long as the thin one. How long did he study by candlelight?

You used regular math, not bammer math, so this is an incorrect answer in this situation with NO appealing allowed!

SoonerAtKU
3/18/2009, 01:46 PM
7+6=1?

Also the Fro-Zone studied for 2 hours.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 01:52 PM
The aggie was in a hot-air balloon that was overloaded. The passengers all drew matches to see who had to jump out. He drew the broken one.

badger
3/18/2009, 01:59 PM
7+6=1?

Also the Fro-Zone studied for 2 hours.

The Sooner/Jayhawk knows his bammer math, but the candle answer is incorrect.

As for jaux's puzzle, the Aggies have many traditions, if you would. Getting buried naked in a football field is one of them... if you're a DOG name REVEILLE! ;)

Actually, I think Frozo had the correct answer. To explain why he's naked, I would assume that rather than send people to their deaths right away, they tried to lighten the load first by gettin' nekkid.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 02:04 PM
I just assumed that OSU people generally balooned naked.

SoonerAtKU
3/18/2009, 02:10 PM
Oh, i guess i miscalculated, seeing as how the candles are of different widths...whoops...

Algebra-izing it gives me 3 hours for Froze to learn about how not to work pro bono.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 02:25 PM
The steel helmets heated up in the sun, causing burns to the delicate pates of Aggy warriors.

badger
3/18/2009, 02:26 PM
Before the correct answer, let's have fun at Aggy's sake...

1- Aggy Army never took off their helmets, even when they slept. Thus, an achy, disoriented head when they awoke every morning.

2- Aggy Army never learned how to put on a helmet on their head... but a different area is quite well-protected!

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 02:28 PM
Because someone hit with a bullet while wearing a steel helmet would be injured. Wearing a cloth helmet (or in this case a meshbacked hat) it would result in a fatality.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 02:29 PM
Felicia's husband of ten years passes on. Her sister Christine attends the funeral and ends up chatting with one of the male guests, with whom she becomes smitten. At the reception, punch and pie are served to all of the guests. Three days later, Christine murders Felicia.

Why?

badger
3/18/2009, 02:43 PM
Isn't this one of those questions that you only know the answer to if you're a psychopath?

You know, a psychopath who forgot to get the number of the man of her dreams, who she would only get to see again if there was another funeral... another funeral that would have similar guests to the dead husband's funeral?

SoonerAtKU
3/18/2009, 02:43 PM
Christine is a sociopath in a job interview. Or there was a problem with the punch and pie "repeating" on her.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 02:46 PM
Isn't this one of those questions that you only know the answer to if you're a psychopath?

You know, a psychopath who forgot to get the number of the man of her dreams, who she would only get to see again if there was another funeral... another funeral that would have similar guests to the dead husband's funeral?

Yeah, it's an indicator of sociopathy. Sociopaths consistently give the answer "Because Christine wants to meet the guy again and he was likely friends with Felicia." Indicates that the person doesn't weigh the suffering of others when making decisions.

badger
3/18/2009, 02:48 PM
I'm not a psychopath, I've just heard about that before ;)

Shall I take the next one?

T. Boone's Estate of Eminent Domain has an incredibly lazy guard. He wants to guard T. Boone's OSU exhibit area with as little effort as possible and as such, wants a simple route that involves the fewest turns possible.

The exhibit has nine rooms and the lazy guard must enter at "A" and exit at "B." An example route is shown below:
http://i40.tinypic.com/20rk4so.gif

Give Boone Pickens' lazy guard a route that only means he has to turn twice, but that also allows him to look at each room.

SoonerAtKU
3/18/2009, 02:52 PM
This one is diagonals from top left to bottom right, turn up, then diagonally from top right to bottom left. The size of the doorways lets you cut right through without turning. I'm not feeling like painting this one, but it should be self-explanatory.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 02:58 PM
I should dig out some LSAT logic games.

Flippin' scored perfectly on every section of the LSAT except the logic games. Set up one problem wrong and ended up missing four out of 25 in that section.

badger
3/18/2009, 02:59 PM
Wow, KU's cleaning house... so let's see if I can get a KU knock in here :D

Mark Mangino has big digital clocks in his house (ok, I promise to get a better KU knock in later). It is a regular clock (not military time) that displays four digits (not seconds), like this:

03:33 = 3:33 a.m. or 3:33 p.m.

02:00 = 2 a.m. or 2 p.m.

So... how many times over the course of one of Mark Mangino's "hate the Big 12 refs and kids who dive into the endzone after scoring" days will Mangino's coach show at least 3 digits in a row of the same numbers? For example, 3:33 or 4:44?

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 03:10 PM
34, DAMMIT!

1:11
2:22
3:33
4:44
5:55
10:00
11:10
11:11
11:12
11:13
11:14
11:15
11:16
11:17
11:18
11:19
12:22

badger
3/18/2009, 03:17 PM
I would have liked to see your "retarded" posts, but I know that modadors have ways of preventing that :D 34 is correct.

I'll just do one more than I'll let the rest of you get a few in:

Sooner and five little brothers of the Big 12 South fight a lot. At the dinner table they cannot sit next to the one sibling that is directly older and the one sibling that is directly younger than him without fighting. For example, Sooner, the oldest, can't sit next to the second-oldest sibling.

Sooner, being the oldest and greatest, has sat down at one of the six chairs at the round dinner table. Seat the other five Big 12 South siblings around him so that there is no fighting.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 03:20 PM
1-5-2-4-6-3

The other two posts forgot 12:22 or 10:00

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 03:26 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right. However, three lefts do.

Mike walks 90 yards. He then turns 90 degrees to the left and walks 90 yards. He then turns 90 degrees to the left and walks 90 more yards. Again, he turns 90 degrees to the left and walks 90 more yards. Exhausted by all of this walking, Mike lies down and is shocked to discover that he's not where he started.

Why?

SoonerAtKU
3/18/2009, 03:29 PM
Starting from #6 (oldest) and running clockwise:
6-1-4-2-5-3

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 03:31 PM
Heh. Your ordinals are reversed from mine.

We still got different answers, though I think both solve the problem. I worked under an additional constraint which wasn't part of the problem-that the eldest could not sit next to the youngest. Checking my answer, though, it appears to solve the posed problems (as does yours).

badger
3/18/2009, 03:38 PM
As you've no doubt figured out, that sibling rivalry puzzle has many solutions.

As for our walking friend, did he by any chance start on the north pole?

He walks 90 yards south, then turns left, walking 90 yards.
He turns left again, walks another 90 yards, and he is back on the North Pole.
He can turn any direction he wants then, but he will head south regardless for 90 yards.

He is now, once again, 90 yards south of the North Pole, and not where he started.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2009, 03:47 PM
Either pole is an acceptable answer, yes.

badger
3/18/2009, 04:58 PM
What, no other takers? Ok, one more from me to last through the rest of the day then:

The Big 12 North also has some rivals that hate each other so much that they will not even cross paths to get their recruit's houses.

http://i41.tinypic.com/ao756q.jpg

Come up with paths for Kansas (a), Mizzou (b), Nebraska (c) and Colorado (d) to get from one recruit's house to the next. As in - "a" connects to "a," "b" connects to "b," and so on.

HOWEVER, it is very important that these rivals never cross paths, or there will be much pillow fighting and eye poking! Also, they can only take the white paths to get to their destination.

badger
3/19/2009, 11:17 AM
Got you all stumped, eh? Well, here's a hint: Mizzou, being the reigning Big 12 North champions twice in a row, has easier recruiting paths than the rest... the shortest path, if you would :)

jkjsooner
3/19/2009, 01:45 PM
Partially correct. 4A is out.

However, the muffed ball is live and the runners may advance. Since both managers have left the dugout, the umpire should call time and warn both dugouts. Since 1B has thrown his equipment and struck a live ball, both baserunners are awarded two bases after the timeout.

This isn't really a puzzle but I saw this once and looked it up. It exists in MLB - not sure about college.

With a runner on first with no outs, the batter hits a line drive to the shortstop. The shortstop softly taps the ball down on the ground and starts a double play. What is the call?

1. Is the batter out?
2. Is the play dead?
3. Is this an infield fly?

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2009, 01:58 PM
Answering the question in reverse order....

3. It is not an infield fly. Infield fly only applies with runners on first and second and never applies to liners.

2. No. The ball is live. The runner at first can attempt to advance, though he'd be silly to try because of:

1. The batter is out, because the defensive player has attempted to gain advantage by intentionally misplaying a ball.

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2009, 02:00 PM
Badger, I have an answer to your recruiting puzzle but don't have a way to post it from work. That's why I'm always silent on the path puzzles. :D

jkjsooner
3/19/2009, 02:08 PM
Apologies if this one has been posted.

There are three curtains and behind one of the curtains is a prize. You may choose one curtain. After choosing the curtain, the host opens up one of the other two curtains revealing no prize. (The key is that he will always open up a curtain and it will never have a prize.) You have a choice, stick to your original choice or go with the other/unopened curtain. Which do you choose (assuming you want to maximize your probability of winning)?

A. It doesn't matter because you have a 50/50 shot?
B. Stick with your current choice.
C. Switch to the other unopened curtain.

You must give a rationalization for your choice.

jkjsooner
3/19/2009, 02:15 PM
Answering the question in reverse order....

3. It is not an infield fly. Infield fly only applies with runners on first and second and never applies to liners.

2. No. The ball is live. The runner at first can attempt to advance, though he'd be silly to try because of:

1. The batter is out, because the defensive player has attempted to gain advantage by intentionally misplaying a ball.

You got this partially right.

It is not an infield fly for the reasons you list. The batter is out but only because there are not two outs and first base is occupied.

It is a dead ball. The runner on first must return back to first base.

There is a specific rule for this in the MLB rule book. It differs from a line drive in that only first base needs to be occupied and it is a dead ball. It also must be a line drive - can't be a fly ball.

The reason, of course, is that a fly with only first base occupied can't really be intentionally dropped to start a double play unless the batter is lazy. A line drive can.

I imagine that it's a dead ball because once the shortstop drops the ball it would bait the runner into running and that could get the runner hung up.

Edit: One more reason that this is a dead ball is that it can be called after the play. The key is if the umpire thinks the player tried to gain an advantage. An infield fly must be called during the play (while the ball is in the air).

badger
3/19/2009, 02:25 PM
Apologies if this one has been posted.

There are three curtains and behind one of the curtains is a prize. You may choose one curtain. After choosing the curtain, the host opens up one of the other two curtains revealing no prize. (The key is that he will always open up a curtain and it will never have a prize.) You have a choice, stick to your original choice or go with the other/unopened curtain. Which do you choose (assuming you want to maximize your probability of winning)?

Ask the host which curtain he plans to open. If he is dumb enough to tell you, choose the other, as the host will always open up a curtain and it will never have a prize.

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2009, 02:43 PM
Based on the scenario presented, it does not matter which curtain you pick at first, as this choice is revocable. The only true choice is the one made after the host eliminates one of the possibilities by revealing it as empty.

Therefore, there is a 50/50 chance that either unopened curtain hides the prize.

jkjsooner
3/19/2009, 02:55 PM
Based on the scenario presented, it does not matter which curtain you pick at first, as this choice is revocable. The only true choice is the one made after the host eliminates one of the possibilities by revealing it as empty.

Therefore, there is a 50/50 chance that either unopened curtain hides the prize.

The first one is a random pick.

However, if you want to maximize your chances of winning then you should switch to the other unopened curtain.

The odds would seem to be 50/50 but they are not.

An easy way of looking at it is that you have a 1/3 chance your initial pick has the prize. Once the host has opened another curtain (and it can't be your curtain althought maybe I didn't make that clear) he has provided no additional information about your original pick as no matter whether you picked right or wrong there is always at least one other empty curtain to open. Therefore, there is still a 1/3 chance that you picked the right one. That leaves one curtain that has a 2/3 chance of having the prize. You should switch to it.

By picking a curtain that is not yours and does not have the prize, the host has actually given you information about both of the other two curtains.

Let's look at the case where you did not pick the right one at the beginning. This happens 2/3 of the time. The host has no choice on which curtain he can open as one of the two remaining have a prize and one doesn't. In that case, (2/3 probability) he's identified which one has the prize by not choosing it. Looking at it this way, there's a 2/3 chance that he identified the prize and a 1/3 chance he made a random choice because you chose right the first time.

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2009, 03:18 PM
That is not correct. Once a choice is eliminated the probabilities change.

badger
3/19/2009, 03:35 PM
This puzzle has always confused me, which is why I gave a joke answer to begin with.

The key to knowing is the host. Does the host have a choice in which curtain to open? The host always knows which curtain does not have a prize behind it.

If you choose the correct door, the host will then have two choices of which curtain to show you that there is no prize behind.

If you choose the wrong door, the host will only have one choice - the other incorrect door... curtain... whatever.

That's why I gave my answer - try to get a read on the host. Most gameshow hosts out there want you to win the prize. If he seems conflicted at all in which door he should reveal before the your final decision, then you know you have chosen the correct one and should NOT switch.

However, I tend to side with jkj (sorry Frozo) in that if you have no other information, you switch curtains/doors, as the probability with that being the correct door is now 2/3 and not 1/3.

I know it sounds crazy, but aren't most of the puzzles posted here crazy?

jkjsooner
3/19/2009, 03:42 PM
That is not correct. Once a choice is eliminated the probabilities change.

Yes, the probabilities change to 1/3 and 2/3 not to 1/2 and 1/2.

If I choose curtain A, the host is ALWAYS going to open B or C. There is always at least one empty one remaining. Since I don't know if I made the right choice, I don't know if the host's choice is random or forced. In either case it says nothing about curtain A.

Since no new information can be obtained about A the probability remains the same for A. The only new information is about B and C.

Or enumerating the possibilities. Let's say the prize is in C. Let's say 1 is my choice (before a possible switch) and 2 is the host's choice.

ABC Prob my pick Prob of host's pick Total probability
---- ------------ ----------------- ---------------
12x 1/3 1/1 (only one choice) 1/3
1x2 1/3 0/1 (not allowed) 0/3
x12 1/3 0/1 (not allowed) 0/3
21x 1/3 1/1 (only one choice) 1/3
2x1 1/3 1/2 (two possibilities) 1/6
x21 1/3 1/2 (two possibilities) 1/6

In the first and second case you should switch. There is a 2/3 chance (1/3 + 1/3) of encountering one of these two.

In the last two cases you should keep your pick. There is a 1/3 chance (1/6 + 1/6) of encountering one of these two.

badger
3/19/2009, 03:43 PM
EDIT: I hated the way I worded that question, so I'm gonna just start from scratch...

Texas is getting killed against OU. The Sooners are up 14 and it's the fourth quarter. However, sheer dumb luck (VY, anyone?) caused them to actually score a touchdown!

Now, it's decision time for Mack Brown - does he go for one point, which is a gimmie, or does he go for two?

Mack Brown decides that he will go for one here just to get the point, but vows that the next time they score, they'll go for two to beat the Sooners outright.

Do you agree with Mack Daddy's decision?

jkjsooner
3/19/2009, 03:49 PM
Assuming OU isn't going to score again complicating things, he should try for 2 points the first time. If he misses it, he can try for 2 again to tie the game.

If he kicks the extra point first, and misses the 2 point conversion later, he can't go back and change the original extra point into a 2 point conversion.

Is that better, Badger?

badger
3/19/2009, 04:00 PM
Argh... now everyone can see my original :mad:

Oh well, In any event, next!

Some evil culprit ate T. Boone Pickens' T-Bone steak. Bone Picker has lined up the three suspects - AD Mike Holder, Man, 41 Mike Gundy, and basketballer Travesty Ford for questioning:

Mike Holder: I ate it, and I LOVED it!
Mike Gundy: I saw Holder eat it.
Travesty Ford: Gundy and I didn't eat it!

T. Booner might not have seen the oil price dropage coming, but he can see that one of his three stooges is lying. Which one is it, and why?

Tulsa_Fireman
3/26/2009, 12:05 PM
Argh... now everyone can see my original :mad:

Oh well, In any event, next!

Some evil culprit ate T. Boone Pickens' T-Bone steak. Bone Picker has lined up the three suspects - AD Mike Holder, Man, 41 Mike Gundy, and basketballer Travesty Ford for questioning:

Mike Holder: I ate it, and I LOVED it!
Mike Gundy: I saw Holder eat it.
Travesty Ford: Gundy and I didn't eat it!

T. Booner might not have seen the oil price dropage coming, but he can see that one of his three stooges is lying. Which one is it, and why?

See, these kick my butt. If there's only one liar, based on Holder alone, we invalidate the whole thing by assigning True/False variables to each stooge. Example being...

If Holder = True then Gundy = True, Ford = True.

Invalidating the statement. However...

If Holder = False then Gundy = False and Ford = False based on Holder = False because either Gundy or Ford ate the steak.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it right. But with the stipulation that there's only ONE liar, establishing that there must be TWO truths, I can't see how the scenario works.

badger
3/26/2009, 01:40 PM
Since you so wonderfully revived this thread, I'll give you a hint - t-bone steaks are too large for just one to eat :)

Tulsa_Fireman
3/26/2009, 02:11 PM
If THAT'S the case then, Ford is the liar. Ford and Holder ate the steak. Multiple steak eaters never entered my mind.

Holder = True
Gundy = True

Leaving by deduction plus the new information, Ford = False because we need one liar, but multiple steak eaters.

badger
3/26/2009, 02:20 PM
Well, let's try your hand at a number puzzle, shall we?

In an effort to appear like a legit academic institution to the NCAA allegations committee, UConn stole Oklahoma's "magic square." Unfortunately, in the process of stealing said 3 by 3 square, most of the numbers fell out!

2 [] []
[] [] []
[] 1 []

The square is useless unless the numbers are all in place, when the numbers added together horizontally, vertically or diagonally will all equal the same digit.

Place 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 so that OU's square is magical once again! UConn will surely be doomed to years of probation without it!

theresonly1OU
3/26/2009, 03:49 PM
The first one is a random pick.

However, if you want to maximize your chances of winning then you should switch to the other unopened curtain.

The odds would seem to be 50/50 but they are not.

An easy way of looking at it is that you have a 1/3 chance your initial pick has the prize. Once the host has opened another curtain (and it can't be your curtain althought maybe I didn't make that clear) he has provided no additional information about your original pick as no matter whether you picked right or wrong there is always at least one other empty curtain to open. Therefore, there is still a 1/3 chance that you picked the right one. That leaves one curtain that has a 2/3 chance of having the prize. You should switch to it.

By picking a curtain that is not yours and does not have the prize, the host has actually given you information about both of the other two curtains.

Let's look at the case where you did not pick the right one at the beginning. This happens 2/3 of the time. The host has no choice on which curtain he can open as one of the two remaining have a prize and one doesn't. In that case, (2/3 probability) he's identified which one has the prize by not choosing it. Looking at it this way, there's a 2/3 chance that he identified the prize and a 1/3 chance he made a random choice because you chose right the first time.

Good, but I liked the answer the guy in the movie "21" gave a little better.

Getem
3/26/2009, 05:32 PM
Well, let's try your hand at a number puzzle, shall we?

In an effort to appear like a legit academic institution to the NCAA allegations committee, UConn stole Oklahoma's "magic square." Unfortunately, in the process of stealing said 3 by 3 square, most of the numbers fell out!

2 [] []
[] [] []
[] 1 []

The square is useless unless the numbers are all in place, when the numbers added together horizontally, vertically or diagonally will all equal the same digit.

Place 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 so that OU's square is magical once again! UConn will surely be doomed to years of probation without it!

2 9 4
7 5 3
6 1 8

err don't we want Uconn to go on probation?