PDA

View Full Version : The committee wants to see Blake

8timechamps
3/15/2009, 05:39 PM
go up against Hansbrough.

All things considered, I think we got in the easiest of the 4 regions. Syracuse worries me. That would be a tough game.

sooner59
3/15/2009, 05:41 PM
I hope we can make it to play UNC. I really want to see that matchup.

JLEW1818
3/15/2009, 05:42 PM
don't count out Clemson, they killed duke this year

badger
3/15/2009, 05:42 PM
I am happy with our 2-seed and especially starting things off in KC.

I like your title without the add-on in your message. The committee just wants to see Blake, period. The early round matchups are favorable for OU to go to the Sweet 16 and probably Elite 8. If UNC plays the same way they did in the ACC tourney versus Florida State, FINAL FOUR!! :D

btw... did Davidson not make it in? Wow... after the run they had last year... I have no idea what their record is right now. If they didn't make it in the NCAA, perhaps they'll get considered for one of the other ones.

8timechamps
3/15/2009, 05:44 PM
I have a ton of thoughts swirling in my tiny brain, so once I can organize them, I'll give you my thoughts on the entire regional.

JLEW1818
3/15/2009, 05:45 PM
I'm pulling for Michigan over Clemson

bri
3/15/2009, 05:46 PM
Davidson flamed out early in their conference tourney. They didn't deserve a bid. Then again, neither did Arizona.

I'm happily shocked we were rewarded with Kansas City. The second-round matchup scares me, but if we can right the ship with our backcourt we've got as good a chance as any to run all the way to Detroit. But as we've seen down the stretch, that's a huge "if".

badger
3/15/2009, 05:50 PM
If my computer wasn't on the Linux right now, I might illustrate my jubulation a little more... but I think it can be simply summed up as...

KC > OKC

I hope, I hope, I hope :D

Remembering Tom Stidham
3/15/2009, 05:52 PM
Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M all made it,and Missouri!

King Crimson
3/15/2009, 05:53 PM
8times: if by "committee", you mean "networks and advertisers....I agree. ;)

How about Duke AND Carolina in Greensboro.....talk about Pod System dynamics.

IronHorseSooner
3/15/2009, 05:54 PM
I was joking with my Syracuse in-laws last night about OU and SU meeting in the Sweet 16. Now, it looks like that what will happen. The only thing that scares me is 7 is low for Clemson. They play a number of bigs.

badger
3/15/2009, 05:54 PM
Oklahomna State

:eddie: that's how eddie spells it when he's left of center ;)

8timechamps
3/15/2009, 05:55 PM
8times: if by "committee", you mean "networks and advertisers....I agree. ;)

How about Duke AND Carolina in Greensboro.....talk about Pod System dynamics.

You'd be right...it's all about ratings...you know that.

The pod system was the best thing the NCAA did since going to 64 (65) teams.

8timechamps
3/15/2009, 05:56 PM
I was joking with my Syracuse in-laws last night about OU and SU meeting in the Sweet 16. Now, it looks like that what will happen. The only thing that scares me is 7 is low for Clemson. They play a number of bigs.

IF we get to the sweet sixteen and face Syracuse, that could be a tougher game than UNC.

badger
3/15/2009, 05:58 PM
All righty, tuning into hour two of over-analysis of bracketology over on Espen.

In the meantime, here (http://cagle.com/news/MarchMadness09/main.asp) is some classic March Madness humor for you all.

8timechamps
3/15/2009, 06:01 PM
All righty, tuning into hour two of over-analysis of bracketology over on Espen.

In the meantime, here (http://cagle.com/news/MarchMadness09/main.asp) is some classic March Madness humor for you all.

C'mon, you know better than that. We're going to here nothing but over-analysis for the next 3 1/2 days (with an extra dose during half-time of the play-in game).

badger
3/15/2009, 06:04 PM
For those interested in even more analysis, the NIT Selection Show is at 8 p.m. Oklahoma time on ESPN :D

More info on the CBI is here (http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi).

Edit: Oh gahhhhh, Dickie V is moaning on about how the selection process is not fair. Whine, whine. SO happy he's an ESPN exclusive and we won't hear him during the rest of the tourney.

Eielson
3/15/2009, 06:06 PM

I like your title without the add-on in your message. The committee just wants to see Blake, period. The early round matchups are favorable for OU to go to the Sweet 16 and probably Elite 8. If UNC plays the same way they did in the ACC tourney versus Florida State, FINAL FOUR!! :D

btw... did Davidson not make it in? Wow... after the run they had last year... I have no idea what their record is right now. If they didn't make it in the NCAA, perhaps they'll get considered for one of the other ones.

Davidson was 26-8 or something. I would rather see them in than most of those other at large bids that snuck in. They had basically everybody back except Richards. That was huge to lose Richards, but they still have Curry! Come on NCAA Tournament Committee! We won't remember that Arizona got snubbed (actually, I don't think it would've been a snub), we will remember we got to see Curry!

King Crimson
3/15/2009, 06:09 PM
hing the NCAA did since going to 64 (65) teams.

I actually don't like the pod system. i'd rather see Carolina freezing their bupkis off in a cold, empty gym on the campus of Weber State against Siena in which home court as an element of "competition" is as eliminated as much as possible....rather than a protection mechanism for top seeds.

flame away.

badger
3/15/2009, 06:12 PM
flame away.

No flamin' necessary. The women's tourney, until recently, was home games in the first two rounds for the higher ranked team. The lower seeds really had no chance. When they moved it to neutral sites, however, there were more early round upsets.

More neutral sites would lead to more upsets... but really, haven't we seen enough upsets in the first go-around of postseason tourneys to last us through next season? ;)

bri
3/15/2009, 06:13 PM
Davidson was 26-8 or something. I would rather see them in than most of those other at large bids that snuck in. They had basically everybody back except Richards. That was huge to lose Richards, but they still have Curry! Come on NCAA Tournament Committee! We won't remember that Arizona got snubbed (actually, I don't think it would've been a snub), we will remember we got to see Curry!

We got to see Curry in the preseason NIT. One ball-hog who can "go off" for 30 points on 30 shots isn't enough to merit an at-large bid when you can't even win your own conference.

badger
3/15/2009, 06:15 PM
Does seeing less of Curry on the big stage get Blake closer to the PoY trophy? Was Curry even still a finalist for that award?

Ahh, ESPN now has Bobby Knight on and he's insulting the teams in his Knightish way for their weak schedules, embarrassing losses, etc. Good ol' Bobby :D He also proposed a 128-team bracket. Oy :eek:

Eielson
3/15/2009, 06:17 PM
IF we get to the sweet sixteen and face Syracuse, that could be a tougher game than UNC.

No way. Syracuse is playing well and are talented, but they have been talented all year. They may have put it together, but they may not have. They beat UConn, but that is just one game. They were supposed to win the other two games and they lost to Louisville.

If Lawson is healthy and UNC plays as well as they can, there is no stopping them. UNC is like two good tournament teams combined.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/15/2009, 06:24 PM
UNC (with a healthy Lawson) is the most talented team in the tourney bar none. If they play their A-game no one else beats them. As good as Syracuse's run was in the Big East they aren't UNC.

All that said, we won't play them until the regional final anyway. I'll happily take a match-up with UNC in the Regional Final right now.

SoonerDood
3/15/2009, 06:32 PM
Arizona must be paying somebody on the Tournament Committee. This is 2 years in a row where they've gotten a crappy team in. Last year it was over Arizona State who swept them. I would call it the Lute Factor but he's not there anymore.

Eielson
3/15/2009, 06:34 PM
We got to see Curry in the preseason NIT. One ball-hog who can "go off" for 30 points on 30 shots isn't enough to merit an at-large bid when you can't even win your own conference.

They were one shot away from going to the final four last year. Our team last year could have destroyed them if they didn't have Curry, and we got beat by 30 in the second round. He is more than just "one ball-hog who can go off for 30 points on 30 shots."

After what they did last year, they should have been in or at least been considered. They won at WVU and most of their losses were reasonable. They lost two close games to another team in their conference who also won 26 games. All of the other 5 losses were to tournament teams, and two of them were when Curry didn't play or played hurt. Oklahoma, Duke, Purdue, Butler (hurt), Citadel (didn't play).

soonervegas
3/15/2009, 06:35 PM
I think the committee was very kind to OU. If we can get good guard play (which I think we will) the elite 8 is well within reach. Someone is going to have to bounce NC before us to open up a shot at the final four though.

PS - I don't like the pod system either and only 4 at large bids from the small schools is a joke. But that is how CBS wants it no matter how much their talking heads "protest".

bri
3/15/2009, 06:38 PM
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. Even if it is wrong.

I'm glad that the committee actually followed their own rule of "this year is all that matters" with Davidson. Because this year, they didn't deserve to play in the NCAAs.

Eielson
3/15/2009, 06:47 PM
Green has been in a slump recently, and Lawson is hurt. That would leave UNC somewhat "vulnerable" early on. Unfortunately, I don't see any team capable of beating them even if Lawson and Green didn't play at all until the spot that we would have to play them at. By that time we play them Green will probably be out of his slump and Lawson would probably be healthy.

meoveryouxinfinity
3/15/2009, 06:47 PM

on the flip side, if we play the way we have recently.... :(

Eielson
3/15/2009, 07:03 PM
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. Even if it is wrong.

I'm glad that the committee actually followed their own rule of "this year is all that matters" with Davidson. Because this year, they didn't deserve to play in the NCAAs.

You would have said they didn't belong last year. I don't think that there is any question when you compare Davidson to the last teams in the tournament, who would have the best chance at winning more than one game.

bri
3/15/2009, 07:24 PM
Look, if Davidson had been able to either win their "marquee" matchup with Butler or their conference tournament, they'd be in. They didn't; they don't deserve to go.

Don't suppose to know what I think, BTW. I don't have a favorite and second favorite school; I have a 1A and a 1B, and 1B is a mid-major. I think it's crap that only 4 mid-majors got at-large bids. So don't give me this populist "You would have said they didn't belong last year" crap.

tommieharris91
3/15/2009, 07:26 PM
You would have said they didn't belong last year. I don't think that there is any question when you compare Davidson to the last teams in the tournament, who would have the best chance at winning more than one game.

Uhh they kinda won their conference tournament last year. They had some bad losses and beat only one NCAA at-large worthy team this year.

bri
3/15/2009, 07:42 PM
Let it go, man. "Davidson" is the only mid-major he knows, so he'll argue until he's blue in the face.

Or, as the case may be, orange in the spek.

Eielson
3/15/2009, 07:44 PM
Look, if Davidson had been able to either win their "marquee" matchup with Butler or their conference tournament, they'd be in. They didn't; they don't deserve to go.

Don't suppose to know what I think, BTW. I don't have a favorite and second favorite school; I have a 1A and a 1B, and 1B is a mid-major. I think it's crap that only 4 mid-majors got at-large bids. So don't give me this populist "You would have said they didn't belong last year" crap.

When they played Butler, Curry was hurt. Sure, he played, but so did Blake when we played Texas.

You think that more mid-majors should have made it? What teams are these?

Last year Davidson won the conference tournament so they had to be in. Lets say that they don't have a tournament and no automatic bids are to be given to that conference. You would give them an at-large bid last year, but not this year? I'd like to hear your reasoning for that.

soonervegas
3/15/2009, 08:00 PM
I would say Creighton and St. Mary both belonged in the tourney according to their rpi and overall record. They would have put up more of a fight than some of these 7th place conference teams.

bri
3/15/2009, 08:01 PM
For those interested in even more analysis, the NIT Selection Show is at 8 p.m. Oklahoma time on ESPN :D

The NIT selection show looks an awful lot like Golden State/Phoenix.

Eielson
3/15/2009, 08:11 PM
They had some bad losses and beat only one NCAA at-large worthy team this year.

Yes, that's why I'm not saying they were a awful snub. I just say that I would rather see them than the other teams that got in and that it wouldn't have been unreasonable to have had them in the discussions to get an at-large bid. Last year, I don't think they beat a single at-large team and they had worse losses. Last year they lost to Charlotte, Western Michigan, and NC State.

tommieharris91
3/15/2009, 10:12 PM
When they played Butler, Curry was hurt. Sure, he played, but so did Blake when we played Texas.

You think that more mid-majors should have made it? What teams are these?

Last year Davidson won the conference tournament so they had to be in. Lets say that they don't have a tournament and no automatic bids are to be given to that conference. You would give them an at-large bid last year, but not this year? I'd like to hear your reasoning for that.
They lost to College of Charleston twice while he was healthy, one of those at home.

GrapevineSooner
3/15/2009, 10:40 PM

No, that's the play-in game. I have no idea which teams the Dubs and the Hot Ball of Gas are representing though. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/15/2009, 10:56 PM
If my computer wasn't on the Linux right now, I might illustrate my jubulation a little more... but I think it can be simply summed up as...

KC > OKC

I hope, I hope, I hope :DAre the sheep-humping refs gonna make the trip from OKC to KC?

8timechamps
3/15/2009, 11:22 PM
As for UNC, I am not sold on the heels. Keep this firmly planted in the front of your mind as you read this, I can not stand UNC. That said, I know they are a very talented team. With a health Lawson, they can, at time, be amost undeatable.

I still think the Big East was, by far, the best conference in the country this year (as shown by their 3 #1 seeds). Syracuse can play with any of those top seeds on any given night....except maybe Louisville. I dn't know if they would be able to beat the 'Ville with their current roster.

Anyway, my point is that UNC has a very, very talented team. I just happen to think they pose less of a challenge than Syracuse. Syracuse may have the best overall gaurd play in the field of 65. Flynn, for my money, KNOWS how the PG position is supposed to be played. But, yes, he isn't at the level of Ty Lawson....yet.

Between Devendorf and Flynn, Syracuse has two gaurds that play together better than any two I've seen all year.

Plus, I think Blake would expose Hansbrough for what he is.

LiveLaughLove
3/15/2009, 11:58 PM
Clemsons press (if they get past Michigan) will give OU fits, Im afraid.
Syracuse with its guard play will be a huge obstacle, if OU somehow gets past Clemson.

UNC is so far away, its hard to say what would happen. If OU can get that far, I think OU has a chance simply because that will mean our guards are playing much much better than they have been lately.

We know what will happen if the guards dont improve their play greatly.

Eielson
3/16/2009, 01:25 AM
Plus, I think Blake would expose Hansbrough for what he is.

While I agree that Blake would be fine against Hansbrough, I think they have us beat at the other 4 positions.

yukonmiller
3/16/2009, 06:29 AM
If our gaurds aren't back its one and done again. Clemson is tough (Kellog even said a 7 was supprisingly low for them). That one worries me, gotta hope Mich. wins.

yukonmiller
3/16/2009, 06:29 AM
If our gaurds aren't back its two and done again. Clemson is tough (Kellog even said a 7 was supprisingly low for them). That one worries me, gotta hope Mich. wins.

badger
3/16/2009, 06:31 AM

typo - it was on ESPNU.

JLEW1818
3/16/2009, 06:32 AM
I saw like 6 of the ESPN guys brackets, 5 of them had us and NC playing. Not that it matters, but still.

badger
3/16/2009, 06:36 AM
I saw like 6 of the ESPN guys brackets, 5 of them had us and NC playing. Not that it matters, but still.

Yeah, a lot had us going to the Elite Eight, losing to UNC. They pretty much all had the 1's going to the Final Four (with a few Memphis exceptions) and in many cases, UNC winning... so if it's any consolidation prize to us, if the gurus are right, we'll lose to the eventual champion :rolleyes:

If the conference tourneys are any indication, our brackets are all already doomed.

8timechamps
3/16/2009, 09:43 AM
While I agree that Blake would be fine against Hansbrough, I think they have us beat at the other 4 positions.

I know that UNC is the better team "on paper". And, Ty Lawson is far better than AJ....However, I think Warren can play to Ellington's level. Now, whether or not he will is another story.

IF we can get to UNC, it'll mean one of two things happened:

1. There were some upsets, and we end up playing Michigan and Stephen F. Austin before getting to the Sweet Sixteen.

-or-

2. We get over our poor gaurd play, and show up in mid-season form.

I know 2 things are certain:

1. No 1 seed will lose to a 16 seed
2. If our gaurd play as poorly as they did down the stretch, we'll be out in the second round.

badger
3/16/2009, 09:57 AM
Are the sheep-humping refs gonna make the trip from OKC to KC?

Holy cow, Rush has left the South Oval. If we were playing Xbox 360, this would qualify as "achievement unlocked" status ;)

They possibly will make the trip to KC, but it will not be to ref the OU game(s). It's the same with bowl games - they'll ref, but not in their own conference. There's a few other non-OU games going on that regional Big 12 refs would probably be asked to work at.

Jacie
3/16/2009, 02:09 PM
go up against Hansbrough.

All things considered, I think we got in the easiest of the 4 regions. Syracuse worries me. That would be a tough game.

They are good but they only played 14 of 35 games on the road (includes the 4 tournament games at MSG, neutral at worst for the Orange). Of the 8 regular season losses, half were on the road. They play one of those small line ups that rely on outside shooting more than getting it down low. They are also a young team, which works for and against them. They got a boost in the seeding from their tournament performance (i.e. they probably didn't deserve a 3 seed).