PDA

View Full Version : If Baylor wins...

kevpks
3/14/2009, 09:01 AM
do you think the Big XII would get six teams in? I am thinking someone would get bumped and it would have to be OSU.

If the Bears win:
Baylor: automatic
KU-lock
OU-lock
MU-lock
Texas-lock
OSU-?

I just don't know that this league was strong enough this year to justify six bids.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/14/2009, 09:47 AM
do you think the Big XII would get six teams in? I am thinking someone would get bumped and it would have to be OSU.

If the Bears win:
Baylor: automatic
KU-lock
OU-lock
MU-lock
Texas-lock
OSU-?

I just don't know that this league was strong enough this year to justify six bids.

That is not how the NCAA selection process works based on everything I've ever heard.

A&M and OSU are both projected to be solidly in the tourney at this point by Jerry Palm (collegerpi.com). There are about 8 at large teams behind them. If Baylor wins then a team like Florida, Creighton or Arizona gets bumped.

Sooner98
3/14/2009, 09:51 AM
Even if Baylor wins, I still don't see how you can leave out OSU and A&M - their RPIs are in the top 30 or so. Texas is actually the team with the lowest RPI, at around 35. Could the Big 12 somehow get SEVEN bids?

IronHorseSooner
3/14/2009, 09:56 AM
If Baylor wins, the conference will get 7 teams in the tourney. OSU, UTerus, and A&M all have solid resumes to get in. OSU and A&M have been playing well down the stretch and have solid RPIs and schedule strengths. My guess is that FLA gets bumped.

badger
3/14/2009, 10:43 AM
I hope Sic Em' takes a break from South Oval long enough to tell us how his team is gonna win against Mizzou.

KSU's coach was really pushing for a bid yesterday too.

LiveLaughLove
3/14/2009, 11:45 AM
Wouldnt it be great if texas is the ones that get bumped?

StoopTroup
3/14/2009, 11:47 AM
I hope Sic Em' takes a break from South Oval long enough to tell us how his team is gonna win against Mizzou.

KSU's coach was really pushing for a bid yesterday too.

Heh.

He's busy trying to find a candidate to get behind in 3 years.

JLEW1818
3/14/2009, 11:59 AM
Wouldnt it be great if texas is the ones that get bumped?

haha i wish. Did Georgia get in after the ridiculous run they had in the sec tourney last year?

JLEW1818
3/14/2009, 12:01 PM
ya they got a 14 seed. so who knows

JLEW1818
3/14/2009, 12:07 PM
If you win the big 12 tourney do you automatically get it?

tommieharris91
3/14/2009, 12:08 PM
If you win the big 12 tourney do you automatically get it?

If you win your conference tourney you get in automatically.

bri
3/14/2009, 12:45 PM
I keep hearing how we're a lock for six teams, the Big 10 is a lock for 6, the entire Big East is a lock...there ain't that many bids, and there's been a lot of screwy stuff happening in the other tourneys that's snapping up bids that people were giving to power conferences. There's gonna be a lot of p*ssed off coaches of mid-pack "big time" conference teams tomorrow evening.

badger
3/14/2009, 06:12 PM
I don't envy the selection committee's job right about now, that's for d@mn sure.

Just like they cap the number of teams a conference can have in BCS games, they probably need to make restrictions on how many teams from each conference can get in each postseason tourney. Come up with minimum criteria for being eligible for the tourney (SoS, RPI, number of wins, etc.) and a maximum number of teams per conference that can be invited.

This would make the NIT and CBI desired options for teams that know right away that they're ineligible for the NCAA tourney (after getting eliminated from their conference tourneys, of course)

Frozen Sooner
3/14/2009, 06:14 PM
haha i wish. Did Georgia get in after the ridiculous run they had in the sec tourney last year?

Yes. They won the SEC tournament and earned an automatic bid.

badger
3/14/2009, 06:17 PM
They were a 14 seed, if my memory serves correctly :rolleyes:

They played their first opponent close, but ultimately lost in the first round.