PDA

View Full Version : Broyles and Tennell are anxious to disprove doubters

oupride
3/13/2009, 11:51 AM
Bradford quoted saying his current WRs capable of similar production as last yerar, I really hope so.

OU receivers anxious to disprove doubters (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-8-60/OU-receivers-anxious-to-disprove-doubters.html)

March 12, 2009 9:15 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

NORMAN, Okla. -- Considering all of the key receivers that left Oklahoma's team after last season, it's understandable why some aren't sold on the Sooners' returning talent at the position.

Leading returning receiver Ryan Broyles doesn't mind that at all. In fact, Broyles actually likes that many are considering his receiving corps as one of the Sooners' biggest positional question marks.

Ryan Broyles will be one of quarterback Sam Bradford's go-to guys in 2009.
"We've all been doubted around here before," Broyles said. "We just want to rise to the occasion and show what we can do when we get the chance."

The Sooners must replace playmakers Manuel Johnson, Juaquin Iglesias and Quentin Chaney from last season. That trio combined to produce 145 receptions, 2,368 yards and 21 touchdowns to spark an explosive passing game that catapulted Sam Bradford to the Heisman Trophy.

Their departure is expected to hamstring the Sooners' vertical passing game in Bradford's third season as a starter. But it's also bolstered the confidence of several players who are figuring that it's now their time to shine.

No player has been more vociferous this spring as 6-foot-4 senior wide receiver Adron Tennell, a senior who is poised to emerge as one of the Sooners' likely deep threats.

"I feel like I'm back in high school. I'm unstoppable and nobody can touch me," said Tennell, who has produced only 16 catches in the first three seasons at Oklahoma after struggling with a knee injury and talented teammates in front of him.

Tennell, known as "Pooh" by his relatives since childhood, arrived at Oklahoma as the most-heralded receiving recruit in recent history. One scouting service had him ranked as the third-highest recruit in the 2006 recruiting class, behind only Florida's Percy Harvin and USC's Vidal Hazelton.

But Tennell's development was stunted after he injured his knee on special teams late in his sophomore season against Texas Tech. The injury caused him to miss all of winter conditioning and spring practice before last season.

As the other players developed, Tennell's playing time diminished. He produced only nine catches for 68 yards last season.

"Being behind all of those guys who were here before me, I was hoping I'd get to play," Tennell said. "But when I didn't, I got anxious about having to sit and watch. Now, I'm trying to shine when I get my chance."

Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said he can tell a distinct change in Tennell's attitude this spring.

"He looks better in our drills and when you see him walking around, you can just tell he has more confidence," Wilson said. "He has a look in his eyes like he's got more confidence. Hopefully, that will continue. And if it does, he should have a chance to have a good year."

Tennell will likely develop into an outside threat and Broyles will play a slot receiver. While playing at the position last season, Broyles produced 46 receptions for 687 yards and six touchdowns.

The Sooners are expected to have other young talent waiting for their chance to develop. Sophomores Jameel Owens and Dejuan Miller and junior Brandon Caleb all are in the mix for playing time, although Owens has been hampered by an ankle injury.

And Oklahoma coaches have been pleased with the development of junior Mossis Madu, who had doubled as a slot receiver and a running back in early preparations so far this spring.

Whoever starts will likely receive the benefit of playing with all of the riches in the Oklahoma offense surrounding them.

The Sooners will return two 1,000-yard backs from last season in Chris Brown and DeMarco Murray. And the presence of tight end Jermaine Gresham, who produced 66 receptions for 950 yards and 14 touchdowns, should ensure that wide receivers will benefit from single coverage.

"A few years ago, we had Malcolm Kelly and everybody was concentrating on him," Tennell said. "But with the running backs coming on and with Jermaine, we've got a bunch of weapons. They think we're the weak link but we're going to show them."

Bradford is excited about throwing to the young receiving corps, even if many observers consider them as a liability.

"Before the season last year, it was the same thing," Bradford said. "After we lost Malcolm, everybody wanted to talk about how our wide receiver corps was weak and we wouldn't be able to make plays. We showed them."

His current receiving group is capable of similar production when they get playing time, Bradford said.
"I think the people outside the program are making more of a deal out of it than it really is," Bradford said. "And I like that people are doing that. It's great. The more people that sleep on us, the better."

JLEW1818
3/13/2009, 12:54 PM
Iggy and Manny were not superstars, they were average receivers who could catch... that's all we are looking for. I'm glad the door at WR is wide open, get some competition going on. Has the Georgia boy already showed up?

good post !

starclassic tama
3/13/2009, 01:06 PM
iggy and manny were FAR above average. michael crabtree they were not, but to say they were average receivers is a huge insult to what they did during their careers. iggy has a chance to be a really good pro in my opinion. he has the size at 6'1 208 and he ran a very solid 40, not to mention great hands and crisp routes.

Aries
3/13/2009, 01:07 PM
I'm really not worried about WR, even if the others are just average, Broyles can be dangerous especially after the catch. If the OL comes together, we could be as good if not better than last season.

JLEW1818
3/13/2009, 01:39 PM
iggy and manny were FAR above average. michael crabtree they were not, but to say they were average receivers is a huge insult to what they did during their careers. iggy has a chance to be a really good pro in my opinion. he has the size at 6'1 208 and he ran a very solid 40, not to mention great hands and crisp routes.

yah they had average combine numbers dude. Bradford made Iggy and Johnson look OUTSTANDING. and they had starting experience which helped, but as far as fundamentals they were average receivers who could catch.... aint much more to it. That is why I'm not devastated about the WR postion, like I am about the Oline. Broyles has more skills than both Iggy and Johnson. JMO.

Would i want them back for another year at OU?? In a heartbeat

starclassic tama
3/13/2009, 01:44 PM
oh ok so average combine numbers mean you were an average football player. makes TONS of sense now. iggy was far above average fundamentally, they were both way above average receivers. quentin chaney was an average receiver. and of course bradford helps, but iggy had a solid freshman year with BOMAR throwing him the ball. you are pretty clueless here.

JLEW1818
3/13/2009, 01:47 PM
you brought up the combine, not me. Dude your an OU fan, of course your going to think that.

Scotty
3/13/2009, 01:48 PM
iggy has a chance to be a really good pro in my opinion. he has the size at 6'1 208 and he ran a very solid 40, not to mention great hands and crisp routes.

6'1" isn't typically an ideal size for an NFL reciever

TahoeSOONER
3/13/2009, 01:53 PM
Iggy and Johnson had above average work ethic. I remember going to the Washington game and both were out there working hours before the game and certainly a hour before anyone else hit the field.

They were great Sooners and will be remembered for a long time. Some will remember their last game, Manny getting blown up on the sideline PI or Iggy getting the ball yanked but I'll remember the Championships and great moves they blessed us with.

I'm as worried about the WR corp as I am about the young OLine, not a bit.

We'll be stacked on the left side OL with Senior talent and these young hogs look eager and nasty.

BOOMER!

JLEW1818
3/13/2009, 01:58 PM
I might have sounded a little harsh on their talent. They did work really hard unlike some WR (Kelly), they just did not have the pure talent like Kelly and Broyles have. They were great WR for us, but they are very replaceable. The thing we will miss the most from them is senior leadership and senior experience.

badger
3/13/2009, 02:48 PM
When the O-line is young and inexperienced with our monsters leaving for the NFL, having good receivers to dump the ball off to quickly will be key... key to winning AND Sam's health :)

JLEW1818
3/13/2009, 02:50 PM
so who is the 3rd guy gonna be.... Broyles, Tennell, ..........

oh yah and don't forget about that number 18 guy.

Since71ASooner4Life
3/13/2009, 03:53 PM
With the defense we have I'm not worried if our offense falls off a bit - were not going to give up as many points

JLEW1818
3/13/2009, 04:03 PM
true.

meoveryouxinfinity
3/13/2009, 04:44 PM
oh ok so average combine numbers mean you were an average football player. makes TONS of sense now. iggy was far above average fundamentally, they were both way above average receivers. quentin chaney was an average receiver. and of course bradford helps, but iggy had a solid freshman year with BOMAR throwing him the ball. you are pretty clueless here.
It seems like every year we have a stand out WR. Most teams do. Most quarterbacks at least have a favorite target. Igleasias came close to this but did not step up at times that those "stand out" WRs do. If you think Iggy and Johnson were anywhere close to the Malcolm Kellys, Mark Claytons, etc of the past, you are mistaken.
Some argue we just had "too many threats" to develop one major WR role. But every time Sam Bradford would start to develop that with a WR, he'd go MIA for a few weeks.

TXBOOMER
3/13/2009, 08:55 PM
so who is the 3rd guy gonna be.... Broyles, Tennell, ..........

oh yah and don't forget about that number 18 guy.

If I were betting on it I would say the 2 you mentioned plus Caleb will start.

JLEW1818
3/13/2009, 10:48 PM
Gresham will take pressure of at least 1 receiver every time, somebody will rise. Broyles and JG will get a lot of attention, so I could see Tennell or Caleb getting some big plays this season.

Curly Bill
3/13/2009, 11:40 PM

Really?

They were good receivers, and Iggy may go on to have a good pro career, but way above average? Hardly. If anyone is clueless here, or maybe just suffering from Kool-Aid induced hyperbole that would be you.

starclassic tama
3/13/2009, 11:44 PM
my whole point is there is a level between average and superstar. kelly, mark clayton, crabtree, guys like that are superstars. iggy and manny were very good, way above average, but shy of superstar. 6'1 is slightly above the average height of an NFL receiver. as for the 3rd receiving option, that is a very interesting question that will be fun to watch unfold. my gut tells me owens might be that guy, and might even be our best wide receiver by the time next season is over. but by saying this i'm counting broyles as a different position, in the slot. a 3 headed monster of tennell owens and broyles could be dangerous next year i think...

BoulderSooner79
3/14/2009, 09:51 PM
Really?

They were good receivers, and Iggy may go on to have a good pro career, but way above average? Hardly. If anyone is clueless here, or maybe just suffering from Kool-Aid induced hyperbole that would be you.

I agree - these guys are solid and have to be solid to start on an elite program. But they are not 1st day draft material. I'm sure Iggy will make some squad and could even start in a couple of years. I'm hoping Johnson catches on somewhere because he was our best WR until the injury last year - it's just hard to get enough reps in front of the pros if you're not a big name. I could see a team taking Chaney as a FA project because of his size. Bottom line - I would not be surprised if the next group of receivers turn out to be better than the ones that just graduated.

goingoneight
3/15/2009, 11:58 AM
Chaney not only has good size, but also good speed for his size. He's a guy that could turn some heads if given the chance. Not his fault about what happened in 2005... everyone looked bad that year, especially early-on.

htownsooner7
3/15/2009, 04:48 PM
Iggy started for 4 years at the greatest football school in modern history. The teams that he started on won 3 conference championships and played in how many BCS games?? How can that possibly be considered average? Show some respect.

badger
3/16/2009, 09:16 AM
As the alumnae of a high school that didn't win any games at all my senior year (and one game the year before), I definitely see that there are heightened expectations of talent that run through the inflatable sooner schooner and fog machine at Owen Field.

It's not a bad thing to expect more out of your players, but I hope fans never lose sight of the fact that there are teams out there that don't attend bowl games every year, that have no chance of winning their conference or ever going to a BCS bowl in the next 5-10 years and talent to match such expectations. I attended a high school with such expectations and it was exciting if we even got a first down, let alone a touchdown.

Dallas
3/16/2009, 02:43 PM
6'1" isn't typically an ideal size for an NFL reciever

Tory Holt - 6'0
Isaac Bruce - 6'0
Reggie Wayne - 6'0
Marvin Harrison - 6'0
Anquan Boldin - 6'1
Wes Welker - 5'9 :D
Hines Ward - 6'0

swardboy
3/16/2009, 03:11 PM
Mike Renfro - Cowboys/Oilers - 6'0 I loved that guy.

starclassic tama
3/19/2009, 01:31 AM
Really?

nice neg on me for having the audacity to state the #4 all-time leader in receptions at OU was a better than average football player http://www.brothersandsistas.com/board/images/smilies/rofl2.gif

Curly Bill
3/19/2009, 01:34 AM
nice neg on me for having the audacity to state the #4 all-time leader in receptions at OU was a better than average football player http://www.brothersandsistas.com/board/images/smilies/rofl2.gif

Not so fast red-boy. I negged you for telling jlew he was clueless.

starclassic tama
3/19/2009, 01:08 PM
...which means you agree with him that JI and manny were average. http://www.brothersandsistas.com/board/images/smilies/rofl2.gif
we'll see how broyles looks when he is not the 4th option any longer. he looked pretty clueless against florida, but he was a freshman. i have a feeling you and jlew are suffering from spoiled brat fan syndrome and will be in full on whine mode early in the season if/when our young receivers struggle. hopefully by texas our receivers have got some confidence and will be ready

badger
3/19/2009, 01:50 PM
i have a feeling you and jlew are suffering from spoiled brat fan syndrome and will be in full on whine mode early in the season if/when our young receivers struggle.

must you continue to insult every poster that posts here? If you disagree, fine! But do you have to call people "clueless" or "spoiled brat" or say they'll be in "full on whine mode" if you disagree?

Usually such niceties are reserved for opposing fan d00shbags. At least add a winky after your insults if you're just playing around. Just TRY to be cordial next time you disagree.

For example... I disagree that Manny and Iggy were average at best, because Manny, before injury, was Sam's prime target and he caught seemingly EVERYTHING... before injury. Iggy really seemed to have a breakout year compared to previous years. NP thought that it had something to do with the WR's taking cues from a certain former Sooner WR that might have not always exactly given 100 percent.

Curly Bill
3/19/2009, 04:18 PM
must you continue to insult every poster that posts here? If you disagree, fine! But do you have to call people "clueless" or "spoiled brat" or say they'll be in "full on whine mode" if you disagree?

Usually such niceties are reserved for opposing fan d00shbags. At least add a winky after your insults if you're just playing around. Just TRY to be cordial next time you disagree.

For example... I disagree that Manny and Iggy were average at best, because Manny, before injury, was Sam's prime target and he caught seemingly EVERYTHING... before injury. Iggy really seemed to have a breakout year compared to previous years. NP thought that it had something to do with the WR's taking cues from a certain former Sooner WR that might have not always exactly given 100 percent.

Thanks Badg. There is a reason he is "red-boy"

Curly Bill
3/19/2009, 04:26 PM

...and notice "red-boy" you said they were "FAR above average" That's where you went wrong because they were not FAR above average.

...and Iggy has great hands? .....right! :rolleyes:

badger
3/19/2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks Badg. There is a reason he is "red-boy"

Yes, but that doesn't mean that you're stuck that way forever. After all, the mods just forgave nearly all the banned dudes and I've seen them resurrect posters from eternal red before if they're remorseful.

Oh, and speaking of remorseful, I now want you to say how sorry you are that you called any athletes to don the Sooner athlete "average." Come on, say you're sorry! Apologize to Sooner Nation for your brief Aggy moment. Promise it will never happen again!

;)

Curly Bill
3/19/2009, 04:37 PM
Sorry, all Sooners past and present are FAR above average. Now, am I forgiven? :D

badger
3/19/2009, 05:02 PM
Sorry, all Sooners past and present are FAR above average. Now, am I forgiven? :D

Yes... and I hope we can all bury the hatchet and move on.

For all OU players, past, present and future, there is only two categories: god-like and far above average. Please use this rating system for all future player analysis. ;)

Curly Bill
3/19/2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for showing me the error of my ways, and you did it without hurting my feelers -- that was a nice touch. :D

sooner94
3/19/2009, 06:34 PM
I know that a lot of the so call "draft experts" out there really aren't experts, but I have seen several mock drafts recently with Iggy going in the 2nd round. He has been rated in the 50's in draft prospects. Good for him.

starclassic tama
3/20/2009, 12:04 AM
i'd like to see curly bill's list of above average receivers in the stoops era. i'm not sure what's wrong with your ignore feature badger, it seems it isn't working...?

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2009, 12:48 AM
When the O-line is young and inexperienced with our monsters leaving for the NFL, having good receivers to dump the ball off to quickly will be key... key to winning AND Sam's health :)

The 2009-2010 Oline will be about as good as the Oline was in 2006, maybe even better!

Bank on it!

We have players that actually have to fight for the right to start. that means whoever will be starting on the Oline will be the best we have to offer.

I played Oline in college. It sucks bringing in new players. However, with most of our guys being in the system at least 1 full year, we will be okay. The Oline is the easiest to repair, especially when we have recruited and signed the talent that we have.

Young, inexperienced the Oline will be. But great it will turn out!

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2009, 12:49 AM
i'd like to see curly bill's list of above average receivers in the stoops era. i'm not sure what's wrong with your ignore feature badger, it seems it isn't working...?

We would like to see you actually know what you are talking about.

Curly Bill
3/20/2009, 01:04 AM

above average

or

FAR above average?

JI and MJ were both above average, but that's not what you said, you said they were: FAR above average.

starclassic tama
3/20/2009, 01:41 AM
and everything they did on the field while they were here says far above average. how about this, you give me a list of receivers under stoops that were better than JI and manny. i'd say that list is rather short. clayton obviously, i'd put kelly up there even if he did slack off or whatever, brandon jones is probably there even though he didn't have the career numbers iglesias did, bradley had more talent but i wouldn't put him there because of limited overall production...

Curly Bill
3/20/2009, 02:01 AM
I never claimed there was a long list of receivers at OU better than those two. I said they were not FAR above average. Make up your mind what you want to argue and you'll have a better chance of success.

OU4LIFE
3/20/2009, 09:25 AM
No mention of Cameron Kenney? is he just that far off the radar?

badger
3/20/2009, 09:37 AM
I decided to turn off the ignore function, because I'm not the only one that posts or reads posts under this username.

Also, in determining which receivers are far above average or god-like, we must factor in other school's receivers as well, not just OU receivers. Perhaps Mark Clayton is god-like, but what about the Michael Crabtree's out there?

For opposing WR's, we also have two classifications: overrated or sucky. ;)

soonerfan28
3/20/2009, 09:44 AM
It's not like Manny and JI had to beat out great WR's during there time at OU. That's not saying they aren't good it just means that the weren't going against the Early Doucets, Terrance Tollivers, and Julios Jones' of the world for playing time. I think all OU fans appreciate what they have meant to the program, but I think we now have more athletisism and size at WR.

OUAlumni1990
3/20/2009, 10:04 AM
Something tells me both these guys are going to do great, especially since Stoops has a say in it. Lets just hope they both stay heathy. I will do my part tonight and pray to the football gods for no injuries in 2009.

MojoRisen
3/20/2009, 10:42 AM
Glad to see Tennell saying he is dominating like in highschool. He was a top 5 reciever out of highschool and could have played basketball at many Major's.

The dude is 6-4 and can hang on the top of the backboard.

JLEW1818
3/20/2009, 11:15 AM
It's not like Manny and JI had to beat out great WR's during there time at OU. That's not saying they aren't good it just means that the weren't going against the Early Doucets, Terrance Tollivers, and Julios Jones' of the world for playing time. I think all OU fans appreciate what they have meant to the program, but I think we now have more athletisism and size at WR.

Right, I'm sure gonna miss JI and MJ, but I'm not freaking out about it. Yall go take a look at the 2008 OU vs TAMU highlights, watch Ryan Broyles and his skills.

soonerfan28
3/20/2009, 12:08 PM
Glad to see Tennell saying he is dominating like in high school. He was a top 5 reciever out of highschool and could have played basketball at many Major's.
The dude is 6-4 and can hang on the top of the backboard.He needs to put that skill to use on the footbal field. He looks frail out there. I said this last year and I think it still holds true. He looks like Hollis Price in pads. Until he actually gains some weight I'm worried he'll get himself hurt.

oupride
3/23/2009, 02:12 PM
Here is a mock draft http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-mockdraftvi031709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns from last week. Looks like there are 5 or 6 WRs expected to go b4 Iggy.

BoulderSooner79
3/23/2009, 04:48 PM
Who knows how accurate these mock drafts are, but I wonder how Duke Robinson slide down to the middle of the 2nd round.

goingoneight
3/23/2009, 05:56 PM
Here is a mock draft http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-mockdraftvi031709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns from last week. Looks like there are 5 or 6 WRs expected to go b4 Iggy.

The mock drafts had the Cal guy a better player than AD... ANDDDDDD what happened there?

Keep in mind that he actually is being drafted, which for some big-time contributors of the past, was not the case. That alone says something. Do you know where Tennell and Caleb are going to be drafted or if at all? Where does Maisel see Jameel Owens at?

OUmillenium
3/24/2009, 12:04 PM
The 2009-2010 Oline will be about as good as the Oline was in 2006, maybe even better!

Bank on it!

We have players that actually have to fight for the right to start. that means whoever will be starting on the Oline will be the best we have to offer.

I played Oline in college. It sucks bringing in new players. However, with most of our guys being in the system at least 1 full year, we will be okay. The Oline is the easiest to repair, especially when we have recruited and signed the talent that we have.

Young, inexperienced the Oline will be. But great it will turn out!

Yoda spek