PDA

View Full Version : Calhoun and Johnson are turning some heads

oupride
3/13/2009, 11:42 AM
I for one am looking forward to see these 2

Jermie Calhoun finally getting chance at OU (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-8-58/Jermie-Calhoun-finally-getting-chance-at-OU.html)

March 11, 2009 1:48 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is taking a pragmatic attitude to using his running backs this spring.

DeMarco Murray is sitting out spring practice after surgery on his hamstring after he was injured late last season. Mossis Madu is being utilized as much as a slot receiver as a runner and Chris Brown's carries are being limited by Stoops because of his past production.

"He doesn't need to show anything to me," Stoops said about Brown. "I know what [he] can do. I'm not interested in seeing Chris get banged around at all. "

That has meant heavy use of redshirt freshman Jermie Calhoun and Justin Johnson in the Sooners' early spring work.

Calhoun, a bullish 210-pounder from Van, Texas, is hoping to emerge after his redshirt season. He was ranked as the No. 1 running back nationally by Scouts Inc. and by CSTV after rushing for 1,910 yards and 30 touchdowns in 2007.

Sitting on the bench was difficult for him last year, putting more emphasis on him to make the most of his opportunities this spring when returning 1,000-yard backs Brown and Murray are getting little use.

"I just want to see the field," Calhoun said. "We still have two great running backs. I want to get a chance to play when I have the chance. "

The adjustment to college was difficult for Calhoun, particularly because he didn't get a chance to play in his first college season.

It made him even more excited to produce when he gets the chance this spring, he said.

"It felt great to get back in pads and start running again," Calhoun said. "Last season was kind of rough, redshirting and sitting on the sidelines. But this time, I think I'll be able to spend some time on the field. "

Despite being called out by Stoops before the team's first spring practice, the offensive line has shown flashes with Calhoun, Johnson and Madu in the backfield.

"We just started off with the basics and made some good runs," Oklahoma sophomore offensive lineman Alex Williams said. "I'm not shocked or anything with how Jermie has run. He's impressed me and everybody is ready to step up."

Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford has been pleasantly surprised by Calhoun's early production.

"Sometimes, you look at him and it seems like he's not that fast," Bradford said. "And then he makes a run and shows a burst and nobody is catching him. Any time you see that style from a running back is good to see."

While getting more of the workload this spring, Calhoun and Johnson are turning some heads in the process.

"I haven't seen that much of them, but they really complement each other well," Bradford said. "They can do everything -- run between the tackles and run outside. It's good to see what they can do."

JLEW1818
3/13/2009, 01:45 PM
I just cant really see either of the 2 playing much this season at running back. Brown and Murray have so many game reps.

RedstickSooner
3/13/2009, 03:51 PM
I just cant really see either of the 2 playing much this season at running back. Brown and Murray have so many game reps.

Well, thing is, we (and, hell, probably everyone) seem to go through running backs like condoms in an overly-regulated European brothel. So, I can't help but figure that anyone who can run worth a dang is probably going to get some snaps. The real issue, given our depth at the position, is this: Which of these backs can come in cold and show great technique? With this depth, as a player you absolutely cannot afford to have a learning curve or need time to get used to college speed. You've got to be good right out of the gate, and that's hard for anyone. Even the superstars.

BoulderSooner79
3/13/2009, 10:03 PM

I have to agree with RedStick. RB is a very injury prone position and I anticipate more running plays this season - depth will be key. If either DM or Brown miss time, it would be huge to have a dangerous RB to step in.

Collier11
3/13/2009, 10:11 PM
I imagine Madu will get alot more reps at WR than RB, just a hunch

JLEW1818
3/14/2009, 01:37 AM
I have to agree with RedStick. RB is a very injury prone position and I anticipate more running plays this season - depth will be key. If either DM or Brown miss time, it would be huge to have a dangerous RB to step in.

ya if something happens, but IF Brown and DM are healthy for the entire season, I don't see any other running backs getting significant playing time, if the game is in reach. But I'm sure Calhoun or Madu will mix in some running plays that go along with the game plan, or to throw the Defense off. but if we are trying to throw the defense off a lot, i don't like our chances.

Curly Bill
3/14/2009, 01:40 AM
I'm saying Calhoun ends the season with over 800 yards rushing. In other words I see him getting a fair amount of playing time.

JLEW1818
3/14/2009, 02:31 AM
If he ends with 800 yards that means he probably passed DM or CB on the depth chart. Heck that is fine with me, if that is true that means the dude is a stud.

But yes we are stacked with talent in the backfield.

BoggyCreek Monster
3/14/2009, 02:50 AM
He's a player, there's no doubt in that.

Blitzkrieg
3/14/2009, 08:55 AM
move johnson to ilb or cb

OU-HSV
3/14/2009, 09:18 AM
I imagine Madu will get alot more reps at WR than RB, just a hunch

That's my feeling too. I mean our backfield is very stacked right now, and Madu is athletic enough and quick enough to run a lot of plays from the slot...and we can use all the receiving help we can get this year. So I agree.

BoggyCreek Monster
3/14/2009, 12:35 PM
We can't really speculate who will play where. Ou recruits athletes which allows them to fill one position with a player from another if injuries require it. They're so flexible and talented. But, yes Madu could go to slot, I won't be surprised if Clayton returns to safety as well. Who knows.

OUAlumni1990
3/15/2009, 08:46 PM
Its comforting to know that we have soooo much depth at running back this coming season!!

OUAlumni1990
3/15/2009, 08:49 PM
We would have been a little better off at WR had that little thug kept his mouth shut. :mad:

SouthFortySooner
3/15/2009, 08:58 PM
I'm saying Calhoun ends the season with over 800 yards rushing. In other words I see him getting a fair amount of playing time.

I've said already I believe Calhoun will be the feature back before the season's over. My basis for this is basised on nuttin but his posture.

Curly Bill
3/15/2009, 10:38 PM
I've said already I believe Calhoun will be the feature back before the season's over. My basis for this is basised on nuttin but his posture.

If he ends up the feature back he'll go for over 1,000. I said over 800 because I think there's a good chance either Brown or Murray will lose PT due to injury, Murray being the likely choice, and Calhoun will get a fair amount of touches.

JLEW1818
3/15/2009, 11:06 PM
If he ends up the feature back he'll go for over 1,000. I said over 800 because I think there's a good chance either Brown or Murray will lose PT due to injury, Murray being the likely choice, and Calhoun will get a fair amount of touches.

shoot lets just run the wishbone with them.. :D

wouldn't hurt to mix it in.

Curly Bill
3/15/2009, 11:24 PM
shoot lets just run the wishbone with them.. :D

wouldn't hurt to mix it in.

I truly wouldn't mind seeing some of that for a wrinkle, though I'm sure there are some that would not want to see Sam doing much of that. Me, hell I say he's a football player, so why not ever once in a while, though I wouldn't want to see Sam getting hit too often.

unbiasedtruth
3/16/2009, 12:28 AM
how about a Boomer Sooner hybrid of the wishbone.... we need one of the backs to be able to throw the ball for this to work..... no QB in the formation, just the 3 backs lined up in the wishbone with all 3 in a 2 point stance....

JLEW1818
3/16/2009, 06:29 AM
I truly wouldn't mind seeing some of that for a wrinkle, though I'm sure there are some that would not want to see Sam doing much of that. Me, hell I say he's a football player, so why not ever once in a while, though I wouldn't want to see Sam getting hit too often.

Could you see the look on Mack's face, if we did that ??? hehe :pop:

But your right, if we got 4 good backs, use them all, and keep the defenses guessing. Mix a lil JG on the end around...

JLEW1818
3/16/2009, 06:30 AM
how about a Boomer Sooner hybrid of the wishbone.... we need one of the backs to be able to throw the ball for this to work..... no QB in the formation, just the 3 backs lined up in the wishbone with all 3 in a 2 point stance....

Honestly in OUr bowl game, I think we need to try something like that, if the time is right.

Jacie
3/16/2009, 07:00 AM
Oklahoma cannot have too many RB's.

We've seen it plenty of times, OU's running backs go into the locker at halftime with fewer than a hundred yards combined, then a fresh back comes in the second half and starts gashing the tired defense, picking up first downs with ease and ending up with over 100 yards on the day.

Remember what AD did to saxet as a freshman and that is what could happen with either of these guys.

soonerfan28
3/16/2009, 11:58 AM
I don't see any way that you can keep Calhoun off of the field this year. Murray was slow coming back last season and hopefully he won't be so hesitant to make cuts like he was last year, but if he is then the bulk of the carries will go to Brown and Calhoun. I think Johnson had last spring to prove himself and wasn't that impressive. I wouldn't be shocked to see JJ make a position switch to either LB or safety. I think he would be one hell of a LB and I don't know that we have T. Lewis after this year.

As far as Calhoun goes I have been waiting since he signed to see what he would do and I think the spring will show us that he either has a good grasp of the offensive or he doesn't. If he does then the talent will get him on the field. You don't sign the #1 RB in that nation and have him sit two years.

BoggyCreek Monster
3/17/2009, 01:11 AM
i agree, Demarco was definitely not himself last season. His cuts and quick bursts weren't there. He dead legged at point of contact. That will all have to come back for us to not see Calhoun. We'll see a heavy dose of both in 2010 for sure after Brown graduates.

JLEW1818
3/17/2009, 01:23 AM
I'm thinking DM won't be playing special teams this year....

BoggyCreek Monster
3/17/2009, 11:56 AM

no doubt.

hawaii 5-0
3/17/2009, 08:14 PM
Unless the Offensive Line gels, there won't be a lot of holes up the middle. It'll hurt all the RB's production.

Of course a few swing passes could open things up inside.

:cool: 5-0

JLEW1818
3/17/2009, 11:56 PM
The passing will be there. And the Oline is not going to fall over and just let people run on them. They get to go against the best defensive line in the country, everyday.

Curly Bill
3/18/2009, 12:18 AM
Our O-line will be fine. While it won't be as experienced as we have been, I think it will be more athletic, and in time will be as good as last years (I think).

JLEW1818
3/18/2009, 12:33 AM
Our O-line will be fine. While it won't be as experienced as we have been, I think it will be more athletic, and in time will be as good as last years (I think).

I drunk :pop: :hot: :cool: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :O :P :) ;) :D

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2009, 02:26 AM
What about having a formation where Murray is at Wide out, Brown at full back, Madu at Split End, and Calhoun at Tailback and Johnson at QB? OPTION!

:D

I can dream can't I?

BoulderSooner79
3/18/2009, 11:51 AM
The run blocking of the O-line will come together faster than the pass protection. I see more running and quick passes in the early games and minimizing pass plays that take time to develop. Those will happen when the run is working well and play-action give some extra time for free.

KantoSooner
3/18/2009, 02:18 PM
Boulder, you took my words away. I see more reliance on the run early, with platooning of the RBs. Fresh legs every down with Sam rolling out from time to time to keep the LBs honest.
I also would like to see a short yardage red zone running of the 'bone against Tejas. Just to give Mack a heart attack.

Crimson Kid
3/18/2009, 04:03 PM
i agree, Demarco was definitely not himself last season. His cuts and quick bursts weren't there. He dead legged at point of contact. That will all have to come back for us to not see Calhoun. We'll see a heavy dose of both in 2010 for sure after Brown graduates.

I agree, was going to say the same thing, DM was slow coming back from his last injury and if it's the same this year, we could see calhoun a bit. maybe more who knows.

BoulderSooner79
3/18/2009, 10:55 PM
It doesn't sound like DM's injury is as bad as the one last year as far as recovery time goes. I have a feeling that DM will be the one lined up in the slot more often if Calhoun turns out to be a monster.

KingDavid
3/19/2009, 10:17 AM

Any speculation on who'll be returning kicks? I'm thinking that Tunnell will get a strong look. I would imagine that the fastest RB will be back there, too. I think that's Calhoun, right? Or is it Johnson?

I don't think Broyles (to my knowledge) has enough straight-line speed to be as effective on KR as he is on PR, where the key is the ability to cut and make people miss.

soonerfan28
3/19/2009, 10:30 AM
Broyles may not have straight-line speed, but if you can make people miss then that makes you even more dangerous on kick and punt returns.

BoggyCreek Monster
3/19/2009, 11:38 AM
Broyles may not have straight-line speed, but if you can make people miss then that makes you even more dangerous on kick and punt returns.

Marcus Trice would be an isanely good returner.

oupride
3/19/2009, 01:17 PM
Didn't Broyles return kicks last year? I definitely remember 4 different returners during the Tech game. I thought he was one of them.

MojoRisen
3/19/2009, 02:20 PM
Demarco, once he got going was really special catching the ball out of the backfeild. Get him a little space and he is awesome.

If Calhoun is capable of playing as well or better than Chris Brown and Demarco he should absolutely be getting some snaps! We definitely didn't keep Adrian Peterson on the bench very long. After Texas Kejuan unfortunately was in a back up role with a fair amount of carries.

I am also sure that we have an option QB on the roster - Sam Proctor is for one :). Broyles would be another good one.

KingDavid
3/19/2009, 05:52 PM
Didn't Broyles return kicks last year? I definitely remember 4 different returners during the Tech game. I thought he was one of them.

I'm gonna start a new thread on this and see if anyone knows anything definitive.