PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 in REAL tournament (i.e. changing the subject now)

badger
3/13/2009, 10:35 AM
The KSU coach (Frank Martin?) went nuts after losing to Texas to get his team in the NCAA tourney. It is not on Youtube apparently, so here's what the Topeka C-J (http://www.kansascity.com/165/story/1081360.html) quotes him as and an official's response in the Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/165/story/1081360.html)today...

"I've got a problem with the way people spin things for their advantage because everyone assumed that we sucked this year...

So KSU's strength of schedule is somewhere in the 100's. So, KSU's RPI is somewhere north of 70. Is that really enough to DQ a team from NCAA selection?

"Don't compare us to the Big 12 teams. All the Big 12 teams deserve to be in there... But I find it ironic that every other league in the country says, 'Oh, they are getting eight in.
I think he was referring to the Big 10.

Big 12 is lucky if they get six.' Give me a break. That's the most ignorant thing I have ever heard this year."

Here's the Big 12 breakdown... conference record is the first stat, then overall is the second. How many in, who is out and why?

Kansas 14-2 25-7
Oklahoma 13-3 27-5
Missouri 12-4 26-6
Texas A&M 9-7 23-9
Oklahoma State 9-7 22-10
Texas 9-7 22-10
Kansas State 9-7 21-11
Nebraska 8-8 18-12
Baylor 5-11 19-13
Iowa State 4-12 15-17
Texas Tech 3-13 14-19
Colorado 1-15 9-22

I have bolded the teams who hvae a chance to improve their records later this week via the Big 12 tourney. Thoughts?

tommieharris91
3/13/2009, 12:03 PM
Teams don't get into the tournament with an 81 RPI. Simple as that. If anyone in the Big 12 should worry about Baylor going all the way and taking their spot, it's ATM. But I'm not too sure the committee would rather squeeze out Florida or Arizona or someone like that instead.

badger
3/13/2009, 04:31 PM
Right now, I think our top seven teams and Baylor all have a shot at getting in, even if they don't deserve it, per se.

Baylor's only chance is to the win the tourney. Otherwise, NIT or CBI.
KSU needs more bubble teams to falter in their respective conference tourneys.

The other top 6 teams are probably in. I see us with 6-8 teams right now. That's not too shabby for a "football conference" or whatev they're calling us :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/13/2009, 07:32 PM
Right now, I think our top seven teams and Baylor all have a shot at getting in, even if they don't deserve it, per se.

Baylor's only chance is to the win the tourney. Otherwise, NIT or CBI.
KSU needs more bubble teams to falter in their respective conference tourneys.

The other top 6 teams are probably in. I see us with 6-8 teams right now. That's not too shabby for a "football conference" or whatev they're calling us :D

I think KSU had to beat Texas to get on the good side of the bubble and probably would have had to beat Baylor to stay there.

I think A&M is in the tourney no matter what Baylor does. If Baylor gets in then teams like Arizona and Florida will be real nervous.

badger
3/14/2009, 10:45 AM
Arizona and Florida will be real nervous.

They've done enough winning during my lifetime to get nervous a little :)

For those interested, the C-USA championship between Tulsa and Memphis just started. It's on CBS.

"MVP"
3/14/2009, 10:53 AM
Arizona has been very disappointing. You would think that a team with Jordan Hill and Chase Budinger would be better.

And ya, Frank Martin is KSU's coach.