PDA

View Full Version : An Emotional (negative) Post-Loss Rant

OUSKINS
3/12/2009, 09:31 PM
As many of you know, I am a pretty passionate sports fan, prone to wild swings of emotion based on wins and losses. As I've gotten older I've gotten better at keeping things in perspective and moving on to the next game, etc...but every now and then there is a game that just eats me alive...tonight was one of those games.

I am furious right now. Steaming. I can't believe Blake Griffin may very well leave OU not having won a damn thing. No Big 12 titles-- no Big 12 Tournament titles....and maybe not even a nice little banner for a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 (I've given up hope for a Final Four).

First of all, the foul on Blake at the end of the game was BS-- a horrible call. But I've never blamed a game on the refs and I won't start now.

I just have no clue what happened to our once magical-looking team. No clue. It's like Blake got his concussion and the season just died. The UT and KU losses were OK because we didn't have our star, and then we had the "It was senior night" excuse for the misery in Columbia. But what's the excuse now?

We were healthy, rested, and playing on a neutral floor. We should have been motivated given our sloppy end to the regular season.

It's easy to blame this on effort, but it goes much deeper than that. We played with energy--we just have no confidence or flow right now. I have no idea where it went. No one loves Capel more than I do, but he definitley deserves blame right now. Ford 100% out-coached him tonight. OSU has gradually improved all year and they are playing as well as they can possibly play right now. They aren't big and they aren't deep, but Ford maximizes what they do have---speed and shooters.

They played a tough, gritty game tonight, and we couldn't answer.

And don't give Blake a pass. I would like to tell him that it's not against the law to step up in the paint and cut off a driving guard. He is allowed to JUMP every once in awhile. So many times tonight, he just watched as Eaton flipped a shot over his head. It's bad enough our guards get toasted off the dribble, but it's more frustrating watching our big men let him finish without a problem.

When we had less talent last year, we were an excellent defensive team. Now, we're soft on D, especially in the paint. I don't f'ing get it.

Our guards continue to circle the drain. Crocker played really hard tonight, but he's still having big problems with his shot-- and once again Willie and AJ were lousy-- maybe there is something to those rumors?

Normally, I'm so jazzed for Selection Sunday....especially when OU is going to be a high seed (I still think we'll get a #2)--but right now, I'm almost dreading seeing the bracket. We'll play some scrubs in the 1st round and probably win (although I wouldn't be shocked if we get a scare)-- and then I'll bet whoever we play in the second round will be licking their chops.

Not the way you want to enter the Big Dance. Not at all.

TahoeSOONER
3/12/2009, 10:23 PM
"So many times tonight, he just watched as Eaton flipped a shot over his head. It's bad enough our guards get toasted off the dribble, but it's more frustrating watching our big men let him finish without a problem.

When we had less talent last year, we were an excellent defensive team. Now, we're soft on D, especially in the paint. I don't f'ing get it. "

Well said, I can handle us losing to a team that NEEDS IT MORE for the tourney but for FING sake I can't stand it when we're soft. Just like tonight, PLAY LIKE IT'S YOUR LAST GAME, because it's win or go home time.

BOOMER....LEAVE IT ALL ON THE COURT....SOONER!

jdsooner
3/12/2009, 10:36 PM
We did not play well, but we deserved to win the game. We all know that it is important to win some ugly games at this time of year and we deserved to do that. We rebounded well, poor 3 point shooting killed us. OSU had the advantage of having nothing to lose and they had played on that floor last night.

Bottom line: we were screwed.

Ton Loc
3/12/2009, 10:39 PM
...No one loves Capel more than I do, but he definitley deserves blame right now...

This

and

No matter the explanation. It sucks to lose, and its even worse when we play like crap.

sooner518
3/12/2009, 11:02 PM
I'll say it only once

HOW THE **** IS THAT A FOUL ON BLAKE GRIFFIN?!?!?!?!

GrapevineSooner
3/12/2009, 11:06 PM
Because OU either played poorly enough or OSU played well enough for the game to still mean something with 2.3 seconds left.

It's certainly not the worst foul call in that situation that I've ever seen (Game 5 of the 2006 NBA Finals *cough* *cough*).

Curly Bill
3/12/2009, 11:17 PM
The OSU player who rebounded the missed shot was, while still in the air, in the act of shooting the ball back towards the rim. Blake fouled him. It would have likely been a foul earlier in the game, thus it should be a foul at the end of the game.

Too bad we put ourselves in a position for that to matter.

the_ouskull
3/12/2009, 11:32 PM
My reply to this thread was WAY too long. I gave it it's own thread. Sorry.

the_ouskull

jdsooner
3/12/2009, 11:48 PM
The OSU player rebounded the ball and took a shot? I must have missed that.

Jello Biafra
3/13/2009, 08:48 AM
We rebounded well, poor 3 point shooting killed us.

i disagree...wholeheartedly....

TOOOOO many pull up jumpers on the offensive end of the floor and two many second shots by LosuR....with the athletic and size advantage, there is no reason we shouldnt have gotten 5 more rebounds in the books. 3 more offensive boards and 2 defensive rebounds and we wouldn't even be talking about this. period. the guards were pulling up and shooting without a soul under the glass....not an issue as long as they are hitting them.

i remember one time in the game where davis passes the ball when hes wide open where two offensive possesions earlier he shoots a three with someone in his face.

not enough "team work" there were several times where that extra pass could have been two but, not passing either resulted in a turn over or an offensive foul...(one in particular was the attempted dunk by taylor 2 on 1 when all he had to do was a bounce pass and patillo slams it home uncontested)

very very frustrating....the foul that put LosuR ahead was bs completely and totally...blake goes for the board, has his hand on the ball and then was knocked off the ball, the LosuR came down with it and the ref calls a ticky tack reach in...they shot the free throws and went up on us then the ensuing throw in pass was contested and (in my opinion) blake was fouled. so the clock shouldn't have even been an issue.

just ranting....something to do until football season starts.

Condescending Sooner
3/13/2009, 08:56 AM
Blake Griffin did not even TRY to play defense last night. How many layups did he just stand flat footed and watch go in? Made me sick. I guess he is working on his NBA defensive style early.

Jello Biafra
3/13/2009, 09:02 AM
Blake Griffin did not even TRY to play defense last night. How many layups did he just stand flat footed and watch go in? Made me sick. I guess he is working on his NBA defensive style early.

i noticed that but, he was playing with a few bs fouls too....hes much better on the court on offense than fouled out with a few defensive stops....you can't blame him...the guards needs some skills on defense. at least learn to have some insight and hustle....unbelievable how many times eaton was able to blow by those guys...they were playing flat footed. period.

Pricetag
3/13/2009, 09:09 AM
I think the guys were expecting EE-tahn, the guy who sucks, to be in the game last night. When ee-TAHN showed up instead, they just didn't know how to react.

Crimsontothecore
3/13/2009, 09:14 AM
The OSU player who rebounded the missed shot was, while still in the air, in the act of shooting the ball back towards the rim. Blake fouled him. It would have likely been a foul earlier in the game, thus it should be a foul at the end of the game.

Too bad we put ourselves in a position for that to matter.

That's how I see it too. We did not exploit our size advantage AT ALL, and our guards once again disappeared (save for Warren). I realize how hard it is to beat a team three times but it was well within reach despite our shortcomings, which are many.

NormanPride
3/13/2009, 09:21 AM
No energy on defense and no desire on offense. If they don't care, then why should I?

Jello Biafra
3/13/2009, 09:35 AM
No energy on defense and no desire on offense. If they don't care, then why should I?

because there is a good chance they (the players)did not become a fan of the university until the signed the LOI. I assume you have been born into sooner blood and long after these guys are gone, you will still be a fan of the university. THAT'S why you should care.

wether it's women's tennis or football, crimson blood, brother.

NormanPride
3/13/2009, 10:01 AM
That wasn't what I'd call a Crimson performance, man. As much as I love the university, it is too painful to invest emotionally in a team that doesn't give two ****s about the game.

Jello Biafra
3/13/2009, 10:20 AM
That wasn't what I'd call a Crimson performance, man. As much as I love the university, it is too painful to invest emotionally in a team that doesn't give two ****s about the game.

trust me, i felt the same way after the west virginia and USC games.....it was so bad that i had to MAKE myself stay away from the boards for a couple of days to keep from getting locked down....maybe i just don't care about basketball enough lol

meoveryouxinfinity
3/13/2009, 12:12 PM
They looked confused on the floor. Our opponents have been getting open 3 point looks, going on a streak, and then hitting contested 3 pointers. This started happening at Texas. We HAVE to contest the 3 pointer from the beginning of the game. Other than that, I'm pretty sure Blake can play like he has 0 fouls until he has 3. Play tough, contest shots, get a feel for the officiating. If they're calling BS calls then let them have the baskets instead of the free throws. But on the chance that the refs are going to "let the guys play," let the guys play! Blake just got owned a couple of times last night.

Blake Griffin needs to be better. I know he has a load on his shoulders, but he needs to emotionally and physically carry this team. He needs to be dribbling and passing out of double teams, he needs to make the turn around shooter, and he needs to make at least one mid range jumper (or close to mid range) every game.

Austin Johnson needs to protect the ball. I'm not asking you to be Mr 3 pointer like you were at times earlier in the season. I'm just asking you not to turn the ball over twice in a row in the same situation *cough cough*. Use your lanky arms and penetrate the lane and throw something up there for Blake to get an offensive rebound and put back in.

Wille Warren, where have you been? You need to find a way to be the second leading scorer. Take 3s (make them), or get open for a jump shot. Penetrate the lane. I don't care.

Tony Crocker. I have such low expectations for you I don't even think you need to change anything. Except your sport. YOU LOST YOUR TOUCH!!! If I had a nickel for every time you take that wide open 3 pointer and miss it, I'd be Donald Trump. Work on your game over the summer, better luck next year.

Cade Davis. You are not only a 3 point shooter. You are a natural shooter. You need to be dependable enough that if the other team has to foul someone, we inbound the ball to YOU, Cade Davis. Because Cade Davis doesn't miss free throws. Cade Davis is a shooter.

Condescending Sooner
3/13/2009, 12:32 PM
i noticed that but, he was playing with a few bs fouls too....hes much better on the court on offense than fouled out with a few defensive stops....you can't blame him...the guards needs some skills on defense. at least learn to have some insight and hustle....unbelievable how many times eaton was able to blow by those guys...they were playing flat footed. period.

Blake was standing and watching layups when he had zero fouls. He can't use fouls as an excuse.

jumperstop
3/13/2009, 02:00 PM
lack of intensity, poor three point shooting, and the bad calls all contributed to this loss. mostly the first two though. you can't expect to win with no 3 point threat. where has AJ gone? he would knock down 3's earlier in the season from near half court, and now when he does take a shot at all he misses it the majority of the time.