PDA

View Full Version : Dear Coach Capel

Ton Loc
3/12/2009, 08:43 PM
A few wants from a fan:

1. Offensive plays.
2. 7/8 of those offensive plays go through Blake.
3. Better timeouts. Really, you always seem two plays too late in your timeout calling.

4. A defensive identity. Whatever one we have now sucks.
5. Break traps and presses better. If the guards can't do it, then just let Blake walk the ball across the line.

The rest of you can feel free to continue. I'm just throwing out a few things that have frustrated me the last few weeks.

Coach hasn't gotten any of the blame lately. (ever?) He gets paid to take the blame. Might as well make him earn it.

Eielson
3/12/2009, 08:47 PM
6. Better fans.

Ton Loc
3/12/2009, 08:50 PM
Our fans are fine. They're just like 98% of other fans. Around when your program is doing well, not so much when you're sucking.

Eielson
3/12/2009, 08:51 PM
Fine.

6. Better message board fans.

Ton Loc
3/12/2009, 08:55 PM
Fine.

HA, your stuff is:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f181/cschwizzle/weak.jpg

Just like yo spek!

Eielson
3/12/2009, 09:04 PM
At least it got you to stop whining.

the_ouskull
3/12/2009, 10:28 PM
Fine.

Let me guess. To you, this:

http://mgilbert.net/ostrich.jpg

is a "good fan," right?

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
3/12/2009, 10:30 PM
Oh, and in response...

Since when is calling it like you see it construed as "whining?" Please, take your time. Craft a manageable response. Be a "better message board fan," please.

the_ouskull

Curly Bill
3/12/2009, 10:31 PM
Our defense sucks! There I said it -- I'm a bad fan I guess.

Ton Loc
3/12/2009, 10:36 PM

Admit it, it feels good to get it off your chest.

And I can only blame myself for not seeing it before, everything was going so well, so I just kept my head in the sand.

I'll gladly put it back there if we start winning again. :D

Curly Bill
3/12/2009, 10:38 PM
Admit it, it feels good to get it off your chest.

And I can only blame myself for not seeing it before, everything was going so well, so I just kept my head in the sand.

I'll gladly put it back there if we start winning again. :D

Would be nice, but I'm very concerned. I'm not sure our guard play is going to allow us to advance very far.

sooner518
3/12/2009, 10:58 PM
I vote that we boycott the phrase "defensive identity". that is trademarked Kelvin Sampson talk and screw that guy

Eielson
3/12/2009, 11:03 PM
I'm not trying to say you can't ever be upset. If I'm not mistaken, you complained about the officiating all through the game thread. I apologize if I'm wrong. Now that the game is over, you came here to complain about the coach who has done an absolutely amazing job in his three years.

It sucks to lose to OSU. I just don't see how blaming it on the coach or the refs is going to make it better. Everybody has to lose some games they shouldn't. To be honest, it's kinda amazing to see we're sitting where we are if you think back to where we were when Capel took over. 16-15 was almost a miracle that first season.

Ton Loc
3/12/2009, 11:39 PM
I'm not trying to say you can't ever be upset. If I'm not mistaken, you complained about the officiating all through the game thread. I apologize if I'm wrong. Now that the game is over, you came here to complain about the coach who has done an absolutely amazing job in his three years.

It sucks to lose to OSU. I just don't see how blaming it on the coach or the refs is going to make it better. Everybody has to lose some games they shouldn't. To be honest, it's kinda amazing to see we're sitting where we are if you think back to where we were when Capel took over. 16-15 was almost a miracle that first season.

During a game thread - everyone makes rash quick comments about what is going on. Mostly fueled by the emotion you are feeling at that exact moment. NO one has time to throw down a paragraph rationalizing everything going on in a game. That's why we start separate threads afterward.

No one said blaming anything on anyone is helping the situation. Just pointing out things that will hopefully be addressed before the next game. Things the coach can/should do to some degree. Everyone on here can take care of what needs to change with the refs and players.

I'm not sure what criteria you use to judge a miracle. But 16-15 to me is a good job, not a Miracle.

OU_Sooners75
3/13/2009, 04:48 AM
6. Better fans.

UH OH....someone has a problem that he/she sees...so he/she states it to the public....he/she must be a terrible fan.

Wise up Eielson....even the best of fans have their own opinions! Just because you are a robot fan, does not mean there are those that are not.

OU_Sooners75
3/13/2009, 04:51 AM
During a game thread - everyone makes rash quick comments about what is going on. Mostly fueled by the emotion you are feeling at that exact moment. NO one has time to throw down a paragraph rationalizing everything going on in a game. That's why we start separate threads afterward.

No one said blaming anything on anyone is helping the situation. Just pointing out things that will hopefully be addressed before the next game. Things the coach can/should do to some degree. Everyone on here can take care of what needs to change with the refs and players.

I'm not sure what criteria you use to judge a miracle. But 16-15 to me is a good job, not a Miracle.

Ya can't fix stupid!

Eielson
3/13/2009, 07:25 AM
I just think that we're acting similar to the way they do over on OSU's board when we make fun of them.

the_ouskull
3/13/2009, 08:34 AM
"Don't think, Axel. It makes my d*ck itch."

Sin,
Beverly Hills Cop

OUMallen
3/13/2009, 08:41 AM

I don't know that it completely sucks...but the lack of intensity was very evident last night as OSU stole momentum in the 2nd half.

badger
3/13/2009, 08:49 AM
Dear Coach Capel,

Still love you anyways.

Love,
~baj

Dear Tony Crocker,

@#%$! @#$%! #$^! ^%&(*! %^&!

Signed,
NP while watching most of the game yesterday.

Theskipster
3/13/2009, 09:00 AM
Can we just ignore the troll? I would much rather read about our thoughts on the current state of the team instead of debating Eielson's sunshine pumping ideas on proper fan protocol.

7. Better offensive movement on offense.
We like to stand around when we are on offense just watching what the ball handler is doing.

8. Handle the ball better.
Part of this is the lack of offensive movement not helping the guards, and part is the guards just making bad decisions and crappy passes.

9. Make Austin Johnson a bench player.
When Austin goes up against decent competition, he really makes bad decisions. Give Willie Warren his minutes. I know Willie is turnover prone too, but he handles the ball better than Austin and if Austin isn't sinking or even taking those miraculous long three's anymore to keep the defense near the perimeter, we might as well put someone in whose favorite pass isn't the slow easy to pick off lob pass.

10. The guards should take the wide open threes.
So many times we have really wide open three shots and our guards fake the three and try and dribble lane giving the defender enough time to close.

11. Intensity and Hussle throughout the entire game.
I don't even have a clue how you fix this, but outside of two or three players, the team isn't playing with the intensity of the opponents lately.

OUmillenium
3/13/2009, 09:24 AM
Remember, this team was carried by a Sophomore (Blake G. who did not play a complete season last year) and a Freshman (Willie). Not much talent outside of those guys except for Patillo (mid season addition who has had off the court probs).

Our defense has not been that strong all season.

Our schedule has not been that tough. Who are the good teams we have played? KU = loss, MIZZoohgross = loss, Arkansas = loss, USC = home win, Purdue = good win.

The good news is that I was at Lloyd Noble last night and did not have to suffer watching us lose to lOSUr.

1 more OU game for Blake unless he and the team steps it up.

Jello Biafra
3/13/2009, 09:30 AM
i agree with 9 completely....

i see a bunch of similarities between willie warren and hollis price

example: willie warren has 68 TO as of right now.....hollis price had 69 for the season in 2002....
willie is .377 in three pointers and hollis was .433 in 2002
wilie has 87 assists hollis has 96 in 2002.....

difference? willie is a freshman, hollis was a senior.

now, whos going to step up and be quannas white?

OU_Sooners75
3/16/2009, 02:14 PM
I just think that we're acting similar to the way they do over on OSU's board when we make fun of them.

Then you have a comprehension problem.

OU_Sooners75
3/16/2009, 02:18 PM
i agree with 9 completely....

i see a bunch of similarities between willie warren and hollis price

example: willie warren has 68 TO as of right now.....hollis price had 69 for the season in 2002....
willie is .377 in three pointers and hollis was .433 in 2002
wilie has 87 assists hollis has 96 in 2002.....

difference? willie is a freshman, hollis was a senior.

Thank you!!!!!

Next year will be the first year we will have a true point guard since White was here.

If we had a true PG this year (or even an AJ without back problems), imagine how much better we would be.

This team is upsetting to say the least. They have what NBA teams only dream of...A very good big man and a very good shooting guard!!!!

Yet, we somehow cannot get our role players (TC, AJ, TG) to settle in and contribute when our two stars may be struggling.

soonerfan28
3/16/2009, 07:46 PM

It won't be Austin Johnson.

theresonly1OU
3/16/2009, 10:49 PM
It won't be Austin Johnson.

That's the spirit; keep the positivity coming, guys.

Just what we need 3 days before our 1st NCAA game.

Seriously though, I'm the first to admit that OU has played some atrocious bball as of late, but I for one have faith that:

1. AJ will either play well or ride the pine (err...chair; you get my drift).

2. Blake will take over the game; at least until the semis. I can't really see a favorable matchup for any team in our bracket who can guard B Grif, that should give our guards a chance to ease back into their high scoring ways of early season (because if they don't, we get dismissed in the round of 32).

I had a bunch more points to add to these two, but I feel it would be better to defer to the smarter posters here to point out the obvious. What I will say is this: If Capel can relight the fire that was under the guards to prove that they weren't just passing options for B Grif, then I feel sorry for any team that steps on the hardwood against us in the next 3 weeks.

Either way, this time of the year is always great, and is made even better by the fact that I get to watch my favorite team go up against the best and prove *********s like Vitale and Whitlock wrong.

....At least I hope.

Sooner04
3/16/2009, 10:52 PM
If our guards hit shots, there's no one in the country we can't beat.

If our guards heave brick upon brick from deep, there's no one in the country who can't beat us.

We know what we'll get down low. That's a constant. A given. Tony Crocker may turn into Glen Rice and we could go all the way. Morgan State could have a Keith "Mister" Jennings and we may lose on Thursday.

The marathon is over, now it's time for the sprint. Sit back, buckle up and have a ball.

E-Town
3/16/2009, 11:16 PM
Sooner Magic baby! We can get things going with a little bit of Sooner Magic.

OU_Sooners75
3/16/2009, 11:17 PM
That's the spirit; keep the positivity coming, guys.

Just what we need 3 days before our 1st NCAA game.

Seriously though, I'm the first to admit that OU has played some atrocious bball as of late, but I for one have faith that:

1. AJ will either play well or ride the pine (err...chair; you get my drift).

2. Blake will take over the game; at least until the semis. I can't really see a favorable matchup for any team in our bracket who can guard B Grif, that should give our guards a chance to ease back into their high scoring ways of early season (because if they don't, we get dismissed in the round of 32).

I had a bunch more points to add to these two, but I feel it would be better to defer to the smarter posters here to point out the obvious. What I will say is this: If Capel can relight the fire that was under the guards to prove that they weren't just passing options for B Grif, then I feel sorry for any team that steps on the hardwood against us in the next 3 weeks.

Either way, this time of the year is always great, and is made even better by the fact that I get to watch my favorite team go up against the best and prove *********s like Vitale and Whitlock wrong.

....At least I hope.

You obviously have not watched OU the last 6 games, have you?

There is not much to be positive about.

However, I have us in the finals in more than one bracket, which includes my money bracket.

picasso
3/17/2009, 12:48 PM
if it's a one shot game and the other guy is walking tha ball up with 12 seconds left, you might want to pick him up at least at mid-court.

Remembering Tom Stidham
3/17/2009, 01:47 PM
I am a huge fan of Jeff Capel. It helps to remember what my friend Abe Lemmons said: 'Basketball is a funny game, you can't play it, you can't coach it and you can't ref it.'

C&CDean
3/17/2009, 03:14 PM
It's the best of all worlds guys. I expect us to lose, and lose early. If we don't, we've exceeded all expectations.

I'm not gonna have my gut all ****ed up over this year's NCAA tournament. Needing an IV drip of Pepto during BCS games is enough. I'll cheer as loud as anybody, and I'll be as happy as anybody if we make it to the FF, but I ain't gonna croak over it.

ouleaf
3/17/2009, 04:40 PM
Yet, we somehow cannot get our role players (TC, AJ, TG) to settle in and contribute when our two stars may be struggling.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw Taylor under the bus. That guy hustles like no other. He's also been pretty consistent for us, and I feel has stepped up as best he can when Blake is out.

ouleaf
3/17/2009, 04:42 PM
Can we just ignore the troll? I would much rather read about our thoughts on the current state of the team instead of debating Eielson's sunshine pumping ideas on proper fan protocol.

7. Better offensive movement on offense.
We like to stand around when we are on offense just watching what the ball handler is doing.

8. Handle the ball better.
Part of this is the lack of offensive movement not helping the guards, and part is the guards just making bad decisions and crappy passes.

9. Make Austin Johnson a bench player.
When Austin goes up against decent competition, he really makes bad decisions. Give Willie Warren his minutes. I know Willie is turnover prone too, but he handles the ball better than Austin and if Austin isn't sinking or even taking those miraculous long three's anymore to keep the defense near the perimeter, we might as well put someone in whose favorite pass isn't the slow easy to pick off lob pass.

10. The guards should take the wide open threes.
So many times we have really wide open three shots and our guards fake the three and try and dribble lane giving the defender enough time to close.

11. Intensity and Hussle throughout the entire game.
I don't even have a clue how you fix this, but outside of two or three players, the team isn't playing with the intensity of the opponents lately.

Definitely agree with all of your additions!

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2009, 02:14 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to throw Taylor under the bus. That guy hustles like no other. He's also been pretty consistent for us, and I feel has stepped up as best he can when Blake is out.

Well, I am not throwing any of the players under the bus. However, we need our role players (TC, AJ, TG being the big three) to step up and play good smart basketball.

They do not need to play above their capabilities...jsut play good and within their talent level.

The same goes for Cade Davis, Juan Patillo, Ryan Wright, and everyone else that is playing.

We cannot just rely on Warren and Blake to continue to win games.

Our guards (and role players) need to play like they did the first 25 games of the season.

I am hoping with a week off, our team can get back that continuity that they built in the first 3/4 of the season! If so, there is no team in the nation that can outright beat us. If we continue to play like we have the last 6 games, look for Morgan State to knock us out!

theresonly1OU
3/18/2009, 02:55 PM
You obviously have not watched OU the last 6 games, have you?

There is not much to be positive about.

However, I have us in the finals in more than one bracket, which includes my money bracket.

Actually, I watched every game; I just happen to have an optimistic view of the progression of OU basketball in the last few weeks, I guess.

That, and the fact that Capel seems more than adept at playing the disrespect card. He was on KATT this morning talking about how he doesn't listen to prognosticators and such, but I get the feeling that there is more than enough fodder for him to put together a few pep talks to inspire his players to their pre-Blake-injury ways.

But I guess it could be that my desire to shut 99% of the Nation the f**k up and prove that they should paint the net in Detroit Crimson in preparation for Blake's last few games.

Either way, I do know one thing: this team has the tools to beat ANYONE in the tournament.

Not upset them, BEAT THEM. SOUNDLY.

Whether they get back to believing by tomorrow is the question.