PDA

View Full Version : It sickens me, but Ill take the 2 seed.

SeattleOUstudent
3/12/2009, 08:12 PM
Gah, I almost feel like our team is gassed. We will probably get a 2 seed, but hopefully we get a good draw on a bracket. March madness, indeed.

bri
3/12/2009, 08:15 PM
The way we've flopped down the stretch, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3 next to us on Sunday.

SeattleOUstudent
3/12/2009, 08:22 PM
I just want to see us look crisp. We looked so freaking sloppy with all the turnovers. At the very least, I would love to see us convert free throws.

missann
3/12/2009, 08:23 PM
^^ Exactly. What 2 seed?

colleyvillesooner
3/12/2009, 08:24 PM
I was thinking that too, but I had a hard time finding the 8th team.

UNC
DUKE
UCONN
PITT
LOUISVILLE
MICH ST
MEMPHIS
????

It's gonna be close. 3 seed and shipped to BFE might be what this team needs.

bri
3/12/2009, 08:25 PM
The way we're playing, it's what this team deserves.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/12/2009, 08:28 PM
Mostly it just sickens me right now...

I think bri is right. I think we "probably" get a 2 seed but I wouldn't be totally shocked if we got a 3. UNC, Pitt, UConn, Lou, Memp, Mich St will all be ahead of us. Duke & Nova both have a chance to be the other #2 seeds.

Although it is a rival that we had beat twice this year we basically just lost to probably a 6-7 seed on a neutral floor when they had just played 24 hours ago. I find that troubling.

SOONER STEAKER
3/12/2009, 08:32 PM
I know it sucks losing to OSU and not getting a #1 seed, but, our legs will be fresh for the NCAA's and the team will be well rested rested for a run at the National Championship.

This lose can be a blessing for our team. We can regroup, and be ready to kick some butt!!!!!!

Pricetag
3/12/2009, 08:34 PM
If we were going to recover, we'd have done it by now. The only reason we beat OSU last week was because it was in Norman. We're a three seed, and we don't make it out of the first weekend. All it takes is a team that wants it more to beat us, and it seems like everyone wants it more right now. Terribly disappointing.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/12/2009, 08:39 PM
If we were going to recover, we'd have done it by now. The only reason we beat OSU last week was because it was in Norman. We're a three seed, and we don't make it out of the first weekend. All it takes is a team that wants it more to beat us, and it seems like everyone wants it more right now. Terribly disappointing.

I do think we should have looked much more rested than OSU. In fact we had them gassed in the first half and in foul trouble. We just didn't take advantage of it.

I'm not ready to say we are definitely a 3 seed and that we won't win 2 games but there is no doubt that right now we look nothing like a Final 4 team right now. We need to turn things around. Maybe playing out of conference will do that.

tommieharris91
3/12/2009, 08:42 PM
I was thinking that too, but I had a hard time finding the 8th team.

UNC
DUKE
UCONN
PITT
LOUISVILLE
MICH ST
MEMPHIS
????

It's gonna be close. 3 seed and shipped to BFE might be what this team needs.

Duke ain't that good and Pitt just lost to a team that might be as good as OSU is by 14.

kc sooner
3/12/2009, 08:44 PM
I only think it's disappointing becaus of all the hype this team has gotten. They really didn't beat very many good teams all year, struggled a lot against some bad teams. Its not their fault, they are only as good as they are. But I just think people - especially media - overhyped them all year. Blake is a Stud, and Willie is at times, but other than that, it's not all that great or consistent, so they are what they are, it just so happened we have been playing some better teams lately and when we lose, people don't think it should happen. I don't know, just my thoughts.

KC//CRIMSON
3/12/2009, 08:46 PM
Duke ain't that good and Pitt just lost to a team that might be as good as OSU is by 14.

Pitt would mop the floor with this team.

jdsooner
3/12/2009, 08:54 PM
Hey, tournament time is crazy. Pitt lost, KU lost. We played well enough to win the game. We were at a disadvantage since they played last night and had nothing to lose. I take a one point win and that is what we should have received.

Where was the foul on Griffin?
Can any of you tell me that Griffin was not fouled on that last play?

If they beat us straight up, okay. I hate to lose when it is taken from you by totally incompetent fools wearing striped shirts.

TahoeSOONER
3/12/2009, 09:01 PM
Two or three don't mean @#*! to me. Pokes needed it more and it's a wake up call. OU needs to play some #@%$ing defense. Not to mention, can we kick it to the post and back out and make the defense move? It's clear as day the guards are the key to a run and I know this team is capable of a run. Just make space by moving the ball you dipchits. Work on the defensive end, NOT REACH IN THE PAINT, get to WORK! You can rebound with anyone in the country but you don't WORK ON DEFENSE by reaching! EVERYONE from top to bottom. Sloppy, but capable come's to mind.

BOOMER!

Fresh for a run....

SOONER!

LRoss
3/12/2009, 09:06 PM
It's after a loss and we're all upset (excpet Steaker), but I just hope that the team gets as upset as we all feel right now. I know that some players just aren't as emotional as others, but WAY too often this year I've seen lolly-gagging and playing like they either don't care or just expect to win without putting forth maximum effort for the full 40 (and, of course, enough times they HAVE won those games). I'm hoping that this sticks in their collective craw and they come out ready to GO from the start all the way, whatever their seed. And I think it *could* happen -- didn't Syracuse lose in the 1st round of their conference tournament when they won? But I agree that lately they really haven't looked good even a little bit.

No way Blake was fouled though, sorry.

Other side note -- at the end of BOTH halves we had the *opportunity* to take the last shot and ended up giving them 10 seconds and it burnt us BOTH times. How does that happen?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/12/2009, 09:22 PM

Both may very well flop early in the NCAA tourney but Pitt is far more deserrving of of #1 seed or at least the top #2 seed than we are at this point.

We should have won tonight going away in the last 6-8 minutes.

My guess at this point is that we get the last #2 seed.

colleyvillesooner
3/12/2009, 09:29 PM
Both may very well flop early in the NCAA tourney but Pitt is far more deserrving of of #1 seed or at least the top #2 seed than we are at this point.

We should have won tonight going away in the last 6-8 minutes.

My guess at this point is that we get the last #2 seed.

That was my point. Pitt losing might drop them from a 1 to a 2. That doesn't affect us getting a 2 or a 3.

Pricetag
3/12/2009, 09:38 PM
Other side note -- at the end of BOTH halves we had the *opportunity* to take the last shot and ended up giving them 10 seconds and it burnt us BOTH times. How does that happen?
To be fair, though, if we run it down to the last second and miss, we're on here complaining about why didn't we leave ourselves a few seconds to have a chance at a rebound?

How interesting would it have been had Crocker converted that put back there at the end? I wonder how the officials would have decided it.

bri
3/12/2009, 10:48 PM
We were at a disadvantage since they played last night

Whaa?

Man, I wish my insurance covered crazy pills.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/12/2009, 11:00 PM
Playing the day before sometimes helps a team get off to a better start in the first 5-10 minutes. After that, advantage to team with rest.

We had OSU in big time foul trouble and they were tired. We could have exploited our advantage by pounding it into Blake continually but we didn't. More disturbing was the matador defense. That as a game that if a good team comes to play and grinds they win by 10-15 going away.

OSU outworked us tonight. We will win the 2-15/3-14 game without playing better defense but after that the next game we get outworked we will go home.

SoonerJack
3/13/2009, 11:05 AM
We had OSU in big time foul trouble and they were tired. We could have exploited our advantage by pounding it into Blake continually but we didn't. More disturbing was the matador defense. That as a game that if a good team comes to play and grinds they win by 10-15 going away.

True dat. I wasn't even worried with like 5 minutes to go. I kept thinking, we've got Moses out already, Anderson has 4, Capel will remind the team that 'one of you should probably guard Byron' and bingo, time expires and we get the W. The team evidently interpreted 'guard Byron' as 'Byron has cooties so don't get near him.'

Crazy bad game for the Sooners.

wishbonesooner
3/13/2009, 11:18 AM
Can you honestly say the team we watched last night looks like a 2 seed? That was OSU we were playing. OS freaking U. They are decent at best, and OU made Eaton look like Magic Johnson. I've been a sports fan for more than fifty years, and I've seen a lot of teams just collapse, but this one is right up there. If they were playing hard and just getting beat it would be better than this lackadaisacal stuff the Sooners are trotting out there.

meoveryouxinfinity
3/13/2009, 11:42 AM
I know it sucks losing to OSU and not getting a #1 seed, but, our legs will be fresh for the NCAA's and the team will be well rested rested for a run at the National Championship.

This lose can be a blessing for our team. We can regroup, and be ready to kick some butt!!!!!!

National Championship?

Sorry, you guys are delusional. The east coast media bias is correct on this one, the Big XII is not every good. We lost to a not very good team and have been losing to not very good teams. When we win we are holding on for dear life. We peaked a couple months ago.

SoonerFanInAustin
3/13/2009, 11:47 AM
For what it is worth, I like the way Bracketology is set up today....being in the same quad as Syracuse (who may get waxed today after last night), then having Duke in Elite 8. Then maybe UCONN, Xavier or Illinois from the other side to get to the FF...I would take that, even being a 3 seed.

With that being said. We haven't been playing good. We did may Eaton, look like an All-American....our guards walk the ball up against the press. We don't try to move it quickly. We don't go through Griffin as much as we should.

Since our L10 game record is not that good....don't be surprised if we are a 3.

It really doesn't matter what we seed we get. We have a lot of issues entering the tournament. A month ago, I thought we would be a FF team. Now, I would just like to get through the first weekend.

JLEW1818
3/13/2009, 12:51 PM
I'm glad we are out of it. Let the boys rest for the big ones, considering the first 2 rounds should be easy, we will be right where we want to be .

Go Baylor!

colleyvillesooner
3/13/2009, 02:46 PM
I'm glad we are out of it. Let the boys rest for the big ones, considering the first 2 rounds should be easy, we will be right where we want to be .

Go Baylor!

From the end of the last game against OSU to the game last night we had 5 days off. OSU had under 24hrs.

Rest isn't going to fix AJ's bad back, Crocker's shooting, or Patillo's hands.

badger
3/13/2009, 02:54 PM
You know, we were a two-seed in 2002 :)

JLEW1818
3/13/2009, 03:01 PM
From the end of the last game against OSU to the game last night we had 5 days off. OSU had under 24hrs.

I agree but I'd rather be rested and try and fix some kinks, instead of being tired for the tourney. Only time will tell. and your right I hope Crocker gets his shots down. Maybe in the next couple days we will work on the fundamentals.

soonerfan28
3/13/2009, 04:39 PM
Badger loves that 2 seed and she's right in theory that it can be better to have the 2 seed. I would hate to see us head to the west coast. It's almost certain that we don't get Kansas City now. It's all about the matchups though.

badger
3/13/2009, 04:49 PM
Badger loves that 2 seed.
With apologies to Aesop...

One hot summer’s day a badger was strolling through an orchard till she came to a bunch of seeds just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. “Just the things to quench my thirst for a championship,” quoth she. Drawing back a few paces, she took a run and a jump, and just missed the seeds. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, she jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again she tried after the tempting one-seed, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with her nose in the air, saying: “I am sure they are sour.”

I really, really wanted to have both of our teams as one-seeds. But since that's no longer possible, the one-seed sucks anyway. ;)

"MVP"
3/13/2009, 08:46 PM
We blew it... I'm still extremely confident, but hopefully we are in the opposite side of the bracket as UConn. They scare me, UConn does.

bri
3/13/2009, 08:54 PM

Shhhh! Some people still want to be cockeyed optimists. Let 'em; it's more fun when they're bewildered after our early loss. :D

Eielson
3/13/2009, 10:18 PM
The teams that are locks for a 1 or 2 seed-

Louisville
Pitt
UConn
UNC
Memphis
Mich. State (pretty much)

The teams that are (or were) contending for the last two spots-

Kansas
Oklahoma
Duke
Wake Forest
Villanova
Washington

It's somewhat amazing how this has worked out so far. Wake lost, Nova lost, and Washington should be a minute away from losing. Unfortunately, in the last couple minutes Duke appears to be pulling away from BC. That was probably the most important game today. If Duke wins I think they get the 2.

Right now, Kansas gets the last 2 seed in ESPN's bracketology. I don't really get that.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/13/2009, 10:26 PM
Jerry Palm has KU as a 3-seed.

With the results today I think we are either the last #2 seed or the first #3. Pretty much the same thing.

My best prediction. #2 seed in bracket with UNC. Nova as a 3-seed because they won't want WF as a 3-seed in the same bracket as UNC.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/13/2009, 11:28 PM
BTW Palm also had Syracuse as a 3-seed prior to the game tonight. I don't know that I could see them a 2-seed though. They are real likely to get blown out by Louisville tommorrow anyway.

"MVP"
3/13/2009, 11:56 PM
Honestly, does the seed really matter THAT much? We will still have to play great in the tourney to have a chance. As I said earlier, I hope we are on the opposite side of the bracket as UConn since I believe UConn is great. Great big men, great guards, just a great team. Teams like Syracuse, or what ever, I don't mind... They have no stop to Griffin.

wishbonesooner
3/14/2009, 07:52 AM
The weird part to me is that OSU had no stop to Blake either, and we didn't make them pay for that. Whether we're a 2 or a 3, the Sooners have to play a lot better. I'd like to see Blake in a Sooner uniform several more times, we'll be seeing him in somebody else's for the next several years.

IronHorseSooner
3/14/2009, 09:02 AM
Ten teams were vying to the #1 and #2 lines, of those OU, KU, Pitt, UCONN, and Wake have all lost in the same rounds of their respective tourneys. Todays games:

UNC- FSU
Memphis-Tulsa
Duke-Maryland
Louisville-SU
Sparty- tOSU

KU's losses to TECH and Baylor put them at a #3.
Wake's been limping down the stretch like we have, and lost to a Maryland team that's on par with OSU.
UCONN is lost without Dyson
Pitt played about as inspired as we did in their game against WVU.

UNC needed a last second three to beat FSU the last time they played.
Maryland has already beaten Duke once.
TU played Memphis to a point earlier.
Sparty came within a possession of losing to IU about a week ago, and tOSU needs this game.
Don't be shocked if SU pulls out the win over Louisville. SU's had the talent all along, it's just getting the play on the same sheet.

It will real interesting if all, or most, of these teams lose. I still think that we get a #2 and go to KC. Mizzou could move up to a 2 or 3 line, replacing KU.

tommieharris91
3/14/2009, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure Mizzou can move up based on their easy path to the Big 12 tourney title. They didn't really add too much to their resume outside of beating OSU.

Eielson
3/14/2009, 04:19 PM
Honestly, does the seed really matter THAT much? We will still have to play great in the tourney to have a chance. As I said earlier, I hope we are on the opposite side of the bracket as UConn since I believe UConn is great. Great big men, great guards, just a great team. Teams like Syracuse, or what ever, I don't mind... They have no stop to Griffin.

The 3-6 matchup is a nightmare. I pick at least one upset in those every year, and sometimes more. A few days ago, Syracuse was looking at a 6 seed.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/14/2009, 04:38 PM
The 3-6 matchup is a nightmare. I pick at least one upset in those every year, and sometimes more. A few days ago, Syracuse was looking at a 6 seed.

The one thing that can help in a potential 3-6 match-up is that pretty much always 1 or 2 11 seeds knock off a 6 seed.

I don't really consider a 6 over a 3 much of an upset though.