PDA

View Full Version : Jason Whitlock says Capel is incapable of coaching

nighttrain12
3/12/2009, 11:33 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9326648/NCAA-Truths:-Oklahoma-a-joke,-Gonzaga-for-real

NCAA Truths: Oklahoma a joke, Gonzaga for real
by Jason Whitlock
Jason Whitlock brings his edgy and thought-provoking style to FOXSports.com. Columnist for the Kansas City Star, he has won the National Journalism Award for Commentary for "his ability to seamlessly integrate sports and social commentary and to challenge widely held assumptions along the racial divide."

Updated: March 12, 2009, 11:21 AM EST
I received a letter this week from John Wooden.

Dear Jason:
I'm a big fan of your NFL Truths column. It is the most accurate and entertaining analysis of professional football today. Do you think you could write a similar column about college basketball? I was talking the other night with Dean Smith, Bob Knight and John Thompson and we'd sure love it if you wrote about our sport.
Take care,
Coach Wooden.
Why wait until the NCAA Tournament? Let's get to the NCAA Tournament Truths before the brackets are released.

8. If you're looking for a tournament fraud, take a gander at the 27-4 Oklahoma Sooners.

Oh, they're talented. Blake Griffin is the nation's best player. Shooting guard Willie Warren is the nation's most talented freshman scorer. I love Tony Crocker and Austin Johnson's experience and athleticism. Taylor Griffin is a nice role player.

Jeff Capel simply cannot coach. That Coach K tree produces some rotten fruit.

Oklahoma does not have an offense. The Sooners do nothing to free Griffin in the low post. He gets his points off talent and nothing else. Capel's offense does not require Warren to move without the basketball. Warren is a compact version of Glenn Robinson. We can only hope Warren doesn't waste his skills like a Big Dog.

A second-round foe with a good coach and two shooters will send the Sooners home early.

badger
3/12/2009, 11:38 AM
K-Pro's coaching history is very, very limited because he is young and this upcoming tourney will only be his second at OU.

As such, I think it is unfair to label him as a coach who "cannot coach," because he's still young and hasn't had the chance to prove himself yet.

I want Capel to prove Whitlock wrong. I really do. The Big 12 tourney game tonight will be a big indication of what we can expect in the coming week.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/12/2009, 12:03 PM
You know, I'm pretty stupid when it comes to basketball strategy, but what exactly do you need to do to free Griffin? He's a post player drawing double and triple teams. It's not like a three point shooter that you need to set picks for to get him loose.

A second round foe with a good coach and two shooters could send any team packing. Ask Roy Williams. He's very familiar with that scenario.

SoonersEnFuego
3/12/2009, 12:12 PM
And Jason Whitlock is incapable of saying anything positive about Oklahoma.

badger
3/12/2009, 01:13 PM
the article MUST suck if even the pokes are trashing it. (http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=66151)

IronHorseSooner
3/12/2009, 01:20 PM
Whitlock was FIRED by ESPN. Nothing more to be said. Also, Big XII North folks and Chiefs fans think he's a bag of wind ( a rotund bag of wind)!

MojoRisen
3/12/2009, 01:20 PM
This is ghey, grant it some of coach k's pedigree have failed miserable - none have done as well as Capel either at his past job or the one he currently resides over. I would like to see 30-4 going in to the tourney!

Next years class is very sick as well!

IronHorseSooner
3/12/2009, 01:23 PM
This is ghey, grant it some of coach k's pedigree have failed miserable - none have done as well as Capel either at his past job or the one he currently resides over. I would like to see 30-4 going in to the tourney!

Next years class is very sick as well!

Another thing that would be SICK to watch would be an eating contest between Whitlock and Dexter Pittman (aka Private Pyle).

SoonerTroll
3/12/2009, 01:29 PM
He is clearly trying to get people wound up. Obviously not enough people were reading his "journalism" and he needed some people from Oklahoma to get mad and up his hit count.

colleyvillesooner
3/12/2009, 01:36 PM
I ****ING HATE THIS GUY!

Collier11
3/12/2009, 01:37 PM
I will say that our offense seems stagnant and cluttered at times, but Capel can coach

NormanPride
3/12/2009, 01:47 PM
Well, he certainly can't coach as well as Whitlock eats.

SoonerTroll
3/12/2009, 01:53 PM
hehe i just saw his picture, he looks like a fat drug dealer, are his eyes bloodshot!?!?!

Collier11
3/12/2009, 02:01 PM
Whitlock breaks down like this, he is good in that he will go after topics that most reporters/journalists wont. Typically really controversial stuff, his bad side is that he says stupid stuff like this that he has no idea about. If he thinks Capel cant coach and Gonzaga is great, look at the Job Capel did last yr and look at how bad Gonzaga got beat against Memphis

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/12/2009, 02:08 PM
The only second round that Whitlock has made it past is the second round at Golden Corral. He can go 4-5 rounds deep there.

bri
3/12/2009, 02:12 PM
Here's your first mistake; you read a Jason Whitlock article. It's like you WANT to go cross-eyed from all the stupid.

SoonersEnFuego
3/12/2009, 02:47 PM
He makes me want to kick the stray crumbs out of his fat rolls.

bri
3/12/2009, 02:55 PM
Don't worry, it's only a matter of time before he angers a slave girl and she chokes him to death with her chain.

SoonersEnFuego
3/12/2009, 03:02 PM
This, I gotta see. :D

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/RonFreeman/445px-Jth_tgsh.jpg

bri
3/12/2009, 03:13 PM
I'm thinking Erin Andrews in a gold bikini. That works for me.

Collier11
3/12/2009, 03:15 PM
Ill take Erin Andrews in the nude for $1000 Alex

badger
3/12/2009, 03:28 PM
I feel a new "Chuck Norris" trend coming on...
http://natnotes.com/wp-content/uploads/misc/whitlock_jason.jpg
Jason Whitlock does not sleep on the couch. Jason Whitlock loses consciousness from being surrounded by fat and lands halfway on the couch, slowly slipping off until the medics arrive to revive him.

IronHorseSooner
3/12/2009, 03:33 PM
I work with a KSTATE guy and a Nebbish woman who would just love for Whitlock to go away and never come back. BTW, he still believes that Barry Bonds is a victim.

SoonerJack
3/12/2009, 03:53 PM
That's awesome that ESPN fired him. His MO is to take up the wrong side to some controversial topic and ride the fame straight to Buffalo Wild Wings.

Total idiot "journalist"

John Kochtoston
3/12/2009, 04:00 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9326648/NCAA-Truths:-Oklahoma-a-joke,-Gonzaga-for-real

This might not only be the dumbest thing Whitlock's written in his long history of writing and saying stupid things, but is quite possibly the dumbest thing written in the relatively short, but extensive history of the internet.

King Crimson
3/12/2009, 04:33 PM
the Kansas City sports media appears to be even worse than the Denver sports media.

i wasn't even sure that's possible.

bri
3/12/2009, 04:40 PM
Sometimes I think the KC sports media exist solely to make me feel better about the collection of hacks we endure in Tulsa.

cheezyq
3/12/2009, 05:17 PM
And Jason Whitlock is incapable of saying anything that makes sense.

Fixed.

stoopified
3/12/2009, 07:05 PM
WHITLOCK PROVED HE WAS A COMPLETE FOOL DURING FOOTBALL SEASON.Recall his worship of Ball State and their coach and qb? Funny thing is right after that article Ball State bit the dust vs. Buffalo(I think).The STAR qb(I forget his name) had THREE turnovers.Whitlock is just a Tramel wannabe. :D

the_ouskull
3/12/2009, 11:31 PM
Whitlock is incapable of putting down the Krispy Kreme's long enough to climb a flight of stairs, but, at the same time, he's not completely wrong about our team right now, even though I can't stand the portly f*ck.

the_ouskull

King Crimson
3/12/2009, 11:36 PM
Whitlock is incapable of putting down the Krispy Kreme's long enough to climb a flight of stairs, but, at the same time, he's not completely wrong about our team right now, even though I can't stand the portly f*ck.

the_ouskull

picking against us right now ain't exactly radical chic....

John Kochtoston
3/13/2009, 01:10 AM

the_ouskull

There's a world of difference between being critical of OU (pretty fair right now) and saying Capel can't coach. I dunno how this team is going to finish, I really don't. But we've gone from below mediocre in season 1 to above mediocre in season 2 to somewhere between pretty good and Final-Four material this season. I'll take Capel.

Plus, he said he enjoyed Tony Crocker and Austin Johnson's athleticism. Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of disagree there.

OU_Sooners75
3/13/2009, 04:40 AM
Can't fix Stupid!

okienole3
3/13/2009, 07:13 AM
Look, sex sells, and the NCAA Tournament is a television event put on to draw viewers. Sonya Curry makes me want to watch Davidson hoops. The woman is fine. She looks like Halle Berry's big sister.

He does have a point here.

the_ouskull
3/13/2009, 08:38 AM
This might not only be the dumbest thing Whitlock's written in his long history of writing and saying stupid things, but is quite possibly the dumbest thing written in the relatively short, but extensive history of the internet.

You're kidding, right? Have you never gone to www.bash.org

(Warning: If you're not a computer geek of sorts, you will not understand some of the humor on that site. Also, it's rather, let's say, "off-color" at times, as should be expected of any site that I recommend.. but this one even more than most. Enjoy!

A sample:

-----

<Zybl0re> get up
<Zybl0re> get on up
<Zybl0re> get up
<Zybl0re> get on up
<phxl|paper> and DANCE
* nmp3bot dances :D-<
* nmp3bot dances :D|-<
* nmp3bot dances :D/-<
<[SA]HatfulOfHollow> i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet

-----

These are my peoples...

the_ouskull

OUmillenium
3/13/2009, 09:28 AM
Don't worry, it's only a matter of time before he angers a slave girl and she chokes him to death with her chain.

bri wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Red_Patriot
3/13/2009, 09:30 AM
Whitlock always brings up racial issues rather it be on the radio filling in for Rome or his crap *** articles.

Same guy who praises Tech 9 as good wholesome Rap.....Makes no sense.

He makes his money by getting under people skin with articles that make you think......

http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/wtf-demotivational-poster.jpg

John Kochtoston
3/13/2009, 11:06 AM
You're kidding, right? Have you never gone to www.bash.org

(Warning: If you're not a computer geek of sorts, you will not understand some of the humor on that site. Also, it's rather, let's say, "off-color" at times, as should be expected of any site that I recommend.. but this one even more than most. Enjoy!

A sample:

-----

<Zybl0re> get up
<Zybl0re> get on up
<Zybl0re> get up
<Zybl0re> get on up
<phxl|paper> and DANCE
* nmp3bot dances :D-<
* nmp3bot dances :D|-<
* nmp3bot dances :D/-<
<[SA]HatfulOfHollow> i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet

-----

These are my peoples...

the_ouskull

Well, I've never been to bash.org (but I've been to Oklahoma), but I'm well aware of the vast collection of stupid the internet has to offer.

I stand by my statement.

KingBarry
3/13/2009, 11:21 AM
Whitlock is just a Tramel wannabe. :D

OUCH! Dude, that is WAYYYY harsh. I mean, that might be the worst insult I ever read.

KingBarry
3/13/2009, 11:27 AM
I want Capel to prove Whitlock wrong. I really do. The Big 12 tourney game tonight will be a big indication of what we can expect in the coming week.

Uggh. Ever said something you wish you could have back?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/13/2009, 01:42 PM
is it okay if i agree with him over the offensive stagnation bit? of course, this article would have been even more appropriate in 1989 substituting the following names:

blake -> cliff robinson
OU -> uconn
capel -> jim calhoun

it ended up being not so much that calhoun couldn't coach but more that dominant big men tie your hands...

NormanPride
3/13/2009, 02:39 PM
yeah, we're paralyzed on D because Blake CANNOT get fouls, and our O slows down because, even if he doesn't turn the ball over on a double team, it still disrupts the rhythm of the game. Also, with everyone surrounding the post, even if you CAN dribble drive, you're just driving into the people that were previously doubling Griffin.

SoonerShark
3/13/2009, 06:22 PM
The last couple of weeks we have made some bad choices in critical situations. We came back from pretty far down against UT, KU and OSU, but still lost.

soonerfan28
3/25/2009, 12:43 PM
Hey Whitlock, Capel made it past the second round. What now? When we smash Syracuse will he be able to coach then?

soonerboomer93
3/25/2009, 07:55 PM
Whitlock was FIRED by ESPN. Nothing more to be said. Also, Big XII North folks and Chiefs fans think he's a bag of wind ( a rotund bag of wind)!

and him being fired by ESPN proves?

especially since he claims to have been fired for not totting their company line

bluedogok
3/25/2009, 08:05 PM
I will say that our offense seems stagnant and cluttered at times, but Capel can coach
You want stagnant, like a sewage lagoon just dig out some old Calvin Simpson team video....now THAT was stagnant.

OULenexaman
3/27/2009, 08:56 PM
wonder what he thinks now???

sooneron
3/27/2009, 09:26 PM
Whitlock was FIRED by ESPN. Nothing more to be said.

This is where you fail. ESPN is not a bastion of great sports reporting.

Not

even

close.

You can disagree with the guy trying to get people to read his articles, but 9/10s of the "sport's genuises" have been way off about one team or another thus far in the tourney. If you do think ESPiN is the gold standrard of sports, then I am sorry I have wasted your time, for you are clueless.

stoopified
3/27/2009, 09:26 PM
Imagine how good this team would be if Capel COULD coach. :)

soonerfan28
3/27/2009, 09:30 PM
Hey Whitlock, Capel made it past the second round. What now? When we smash Syracuse will he be able to coach then?

I told you we'd smash 'em!

goingoneight
3/27/2009, 09:32 PM
He needs to change his last name to "Witless."

jdsooner
3/28/2009, 02:56 PM
He didn't write about Capel today. He just wrote about how there is no shame for KU losing to Michigan State and what a great coach Bill Self is.
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/1111005.html

Lott's Bandana
3/28/2009, 04:41 PM
He takes his contrarian mantra a little too seriously.