PDA

View Full Version : Couches

royalfan5
3/11/2009, 05:24 PM
So I think I'm going start couch shopping soon. As I figure I probably ought to have one if I am going to have folks over to the new apartment. Plus, since I believe in America, I think I will stimulate the economy by purchasing a new one. However, I know next to nothing about what constitutes quality furniture. Are there brands to avoid, brands that provide good value, any thing else I should know about good furniture?

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 05:46 PM
I'm not really into furniture that much....since it seems really ridiculously overpriced to me. and when a gf starts to get "into" furniture that set me back. i had a gf who had all this incredible leather, 70's style leather L shaped combo.....she inherited from her mom....and as much as i wanted to axe kill her at the time (when we broke up) i had to help her move it. and i had to appreciate it's awesomeness.

depends on what you want it for. looking like a decent semi-human being on dates back to your place....or watch Beast-Master or both.

royalfan5
3/11/2009, 05:54 PM
I'm not really into furniture that much....since it seems really ridiculously overpriced to me. and when a gf starts to get "into" furniture that set me back. i had a gf who had all this incredible leather, 70's style leather L shaped combo.....she inherited from her mom....and as much as i wanted to axe kill her at the time (when we broke up) i had to help her move it. and i had to appreciate it's awesomeness.

depends on what you want it for. looking like a decent semi-human being on dates back to your place....or watch Beast-Master or both.

A little of both. I feel like a sectional would work with my low rise book case setup and help split the main area into an entertainment area and a dining area. If it weren't for societial expectations about not have to sit on the floor at all times I probably wouldn't have any furniture.

Frozen Sooner
3/11/2009, 06:01 PM
Only the finest Corinthian leather, my man. :D

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 06:03 PM
A little of both. I feel like a sectional would work with my low rise book case setup and help split the main area into an entertainment area and a dining area. If it weren't for societial expectations about not have to sit on the floor at all times I probably wouldn't have any furniture.

bust a move and get a sectional....but something YOU can sit and USE...not look at--like framing your imaginary experience.

i suppose it's like shoes, get what you pay for.....buy something nice for yourself that you can watch pron in absolute comfort and pretend like you don't other times.

Chuck Bao
3/11/2009, 06:38 PM
This is a great question.

I wish I had the answer. When Nope and I were couch hunting last year, we agreed that we had to have an L shaped couch so both of us could stretch out and sleep while watching TV.

Cowhide is expensive and it makes me sweat and, besides, Nope is really into the cow being sacred and stuff. Okay, there isn't probably a lot of that in Nebraska - the tropical heat and sweating and the holy cows.

Our choice of a cloth couch turned out really, really bad because it came with cooties. For the first 3-4 months, I was eaten up with something like chigger bites every time I sat on the thing. Fumigation finally did the trick and I have reclaimed my part of the couch.

I think what I'm saying is that the cost is worth it. Figure out how much time you plan to spend there and calculate its worth.

On the other hand, camping out of the floor is pretty cost effective and can fit into a minimalist approach. Tell everyone you've gone zen and they need to sit on the floor.

Whet
3/11/2009, 08:09 PM
Just remember the price listed is NOT the price you pay. Buying furniture is like buying a used car - especially in today's environment!

AlbqSooner
3/11/2009, 08:10 PM
Do not go for the bargain. You don't have to go Ethan Allen or anything, but you will probably have the couch for 10 years at least. Get what you want. It should be long enough to stretch out and sleep or do the horizontal hokey pokey. (just don't put your left foot in)
Leather is nice, but it can be too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

colleyvillesooner
3/11/2009, 08:21 PM
We got a dark brown leather 3 piece sectional from rooms to go and couldn't be happier. 0% interest for 15 months was nice too, just finished paying it off ahead of time.

Whet
3/11/2009, 08:50 PM
look for a steel frame, too

soonerinabilene
3/11/2009, 09:11 PM
look for a steel frame, too

This. Although that normally puts you in a much higher price range. Ashley is actually not that bad, and is pretty cheap. They also have a lot of variety. Lazy Boy is top notch stuff, but pricey.

royalfan5
3/11/2009, 09:15 PM
Cowhide is expensive and it makes me sweat and, besides, Nope is really into the cow being sacred and stuff. Okay, there isn't probably a lot of that in Nebraska - the tropical heat and sweating and the holy cows.

While not tropical heat it does get quite warm in the summer here, and Nebraska is the Beef State, so we do have some affection for cattle.

Whet
3/11/2009, 09:24 PM
http://www.cowhidewesternfurniture.com/images/leather-couch-grande.jpg

KABOOKIE
3/11/2009, 10:05 PM
**** yo couch

Frozen Sooner
3/11/2009, 10:19 PM
http://www.cowhidewesternfurniture.com/images/leather-couch-grande.jpg

That thing is rather awesome.

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2009, 10:26 PM
Secret to a good couch...Lots of highly flamable materials. lol

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2009, 10:26 PM
But I actually though they was called "dee-vans"

Taxman71
3/12/2009, 11:56 AM
If you have a dog, eat on the couch or otherwise like to drop staining-materials on your couch, get leather. It is the easiest think in the world to clean and you don't have to worry about anyone leaving a Poppy stain on the cushion.

StoopTroup
3/12/2009, 12:29 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2932415948_8684fa1242.jpg?v=0

StoopTroup
3/12/2009, 12:30 PM
Here's another nice one.

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/05/02/coffin-couch-1.jpg

StoopTroup
3/12/2009, 12:32 PM
Don't forget to buy a nice side table. :D

http://www.organizingyourway.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/couch-table.jpg

StoopTroup
3/12/2009, 12:35 PM
If your a hunter...you might want one of these. :D

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_may2007/CamouflageCouch.jpg

royalfan5
3/12/2009, 05:42 PM
I may have just inherited my Grandpa's old leather futon with a coyote in front a cactus on it. Which would be sweet since I spent a good chunk of a my childhood playing with toy tractors in front of it.