PDA

View Full Version : Rumors that Billy Gillispie may not be at Kentucky next year.

soonerfan28
3/11/2009, 10:15 AM
I don't really know what the liklihood of Gillispie being at Kentucky next year is but if he is not there next year then can the players get a scholarship release. The reason I am asking is because if that happens is there a chnce we could get Daniel Orton or would he just go to another school with basketball tradition. Kind of out of left field but seemed like a decent topic for conversation.

badger
3/11/2009, 10:27 AM
The Aggies might have a song for you, Billy "Benedict Arnold" Gillispie...

Hullabaloo, Wildcat, Wildcat
Hullabaloo, Wildcat, Wildcat
Goodbye, Kentucky University
So long to the blue and the white
Never shoulda left the Texas Aggies
They are the boys who show the real old fight
'Hold that ball and hit that line'
That is the song they sing so well
Sounds Like Hell
So Goodbye, Kentucky University
Guess those postseason runs here were just
All a big ol' sham
You're just a coaching ham!
The talent all along was only Texas A&M!

8timechamps
3/11/2009, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is gone next year. UK has fallen off of the basketball landscape. Much like our John Blake days. If the coach can't win, he'll be outta there.

As for the scholly release, I am assuming that the "rule" in football is the NCAA rule, thus the same for all sports. So, yes, the players would be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year.

Sooner04
3/11/2009, 10:28 AM
Let's keep this in perspective. Gillispie is on the cusp of going to the NCAA Tournament. The team is on the bubble, but they've got a chance.

That's more than we could've ever dreamed of under John Blake.

8timechamps
3/11/2009, 10:34 AM
Let's keep this in perspective. Gillispie is on the cusp of going to the NCAA Tournament. The team is on the bubble, but they've got a chance.

Okay, good point.

But you get the idea.

P.S. It's bad enough to have the Blake memories stuck in my brain...can't a man embellish then a litte?!

Bruiser53
3/11/2009, 10:50 AM
We already have two really good big man prospects coming in next year, and I believe we don't have anymore scholly spots, so I don't there is a chance we would see Orton in an OU jersey. Not to mention he is coming off serious knee surgery and hasn't played at all for McGuinness this year. I don't really think we need him.

badger
3/11/2009, 11:27 AM
If just going to the tourney (or just being on the bubble) was good enough for Kentucky, wouldn't they have never sent Tubby to Minnesota?

I appreciate you keeping things in perspective here, but I wish Kentucky all the losing in the world for their criticism and treatment of Tubby Smith. I hope UK is out tons upon tons of money if they fire Billy.

THEY need perspective. The d00ches put for sale signs on his lawn because he didn't make it to the Final Four for nine seasons. No wonder he resigned.

Boomer.....
3/11/2009, 11:34 AM

John Blake was never a head coach before coming to OU. Gillispie, on the other hand, was a rising star at a good program and was snatched up by a historic program. I don't think you can compare the two.

Gillispie had a 73% winning percentage at A&M and 60% winning percentage at Kentucky. While that might be good for some programs, it probably isn't at Kentucky.

tommieharris91
3/11/2009, 11:51 AM

If by "got a chance," you mean "need to win the SEC tournament," then I agree with you. They have the talent to do that, though.

Readyfor8
3/11/2009, 12:22 PM
We already have two really good big man prospects coming in next year, and I believe we don't have anymore scholly spots, so I don't there is a chance we would see Orton in an OU jersey. Not to mention he is coming off serious knee surgery and hasn't played at all for McGuinness this year. I don't really think we need him.

We did cut a player a month ago, has that spot been filled yet? We should have one more scholorship available. Unless Blake Griffin stays.

KYSooner
3/11/2009, 12:32 PM
If just going to the tourney (or just being on the bubble) was good enough for Kentucky, wouldn't they have never sent Tubby to Minnesota?

I appreciate you keeping things in perspective here, but I wish Kentucky all the losing in the world for their criticism and treatment of Tubby Smith. I hope UK is out tons upon tons of money if they fire Billy.

THEY need perspective. The d00ches put for sale signs on his lawn because he didn't make it to the Final Four for nine seasons. No wonder he resigned.

Tubby did not resign on his own will, he was practically forced to by the boosters as his contract was bought out. Tubby won a nat'l title in his first year as head coach...with Rick Pitino's players. He then proceeded to squirt down his leg for the next 9 seasons as he had teams with great talent, but could not win the big one. 2004: the top #1 seed, go down against UAB in the second round. 2005: elite 8 2OT loss to Mich St. He did not get ANYWHERE close to returning to that level before or after his 2 best years!!!

Also, Tubby is loved in Lexington and he loves Lexington. One of the things everyone hated about letting him go was that he was such a great man off the court. But Kentucky realized it had a better relationship with winning national titles than it did a certain Tubby. The reason Billy G is the coach is because UK had 100% banked on Billy Donovan, who decided to go pro and then stay at Florida. Billy G was a last second hire that was given too much money just to ensure that he WOULD break his contract at A&M. It's now time for him to go too...he's got a serious drinking problem, not friendly in public, and oh yeah...HIS TEAM SUCKS! If you were a UK fan and you lost to Virginia Military Institute, don't you think there's a problem? He can get the players to UK, but he sure can't make them perform...other than Meeks and Patterson.

It sounds my friend, like YOU need some perspective.

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 12:48 PM

Blake won 5 games in 98, that's "on the cusp" of being bowl eligible which i'd compare to "on the cusp" a 10 seed from a major conference.

Blake was not bowl eligible, and Billy G will miss the Dance.

difference is Billy G has actually won some games as a HC not just on Playstation, before.

ouwapiti
3/11/2009, 12:50 PM
he's another example of a coach who's a god at one place (aggieland)and greed and ambition cause him to go elsewhere (kentucky) where he becomes a failure or perceived failure..........happens all the time in coaching.....a lot of texans, from the get go, said that him leaving college station was gonna be a huge mistake

badger
3/11/2009, 12:54 PM
It sounds my friend, like YOU need some perspective.

It sounds like we agree on everything - that Tubby was a stand-up guy that Kentucky wanted out because he couldn't win another title like he did his first year (yes, with Slick Rick's players).

They now have an overrated coach (regardless of whether or not he was their first choice, they hired him) that can't win because they weren't satisfied with just making the tourney every year under Tubby.

I don't see where my perspective differs from yours, except perhaps that you don't wish hard times and lots of losing on Kentucky after they forced Tubby out. I dunno, do you?

As a "KySooner," I am not sure if you place more emphasis on the "KY" or the "Sooner," but if you place more emphasis on the Sooner, perhaps your jaw also hits the floor every time you hear your Wildcat neighbors complaining about a coach that was a class act that brought in a lot of wins and postseason appearances. It would be like people wanting Bob Stoops out at OU because he hasn't won BCS games lately (and for the record, I want Stoops to stay!)

I hope that I never lose perspective with what's important to a university. I love winning, yes, but I want to win the right way, as Joe C. puts it.

Sooner04
3/11/2009, 01:06 PM
Blake won 5 games in 98, that's "on the cusp" of being bowl eligible which i'd compare to "on the cusp" a 10 seed from a major conference.

Blake was not bowl eligible, and Billy G will miss the Dance.

difference is Billy G has actually won some games as a HC not just on Playstation, before.
You're a John Blake apologist, aren't you? ;)

My mind will not allow me to believe John Blake was anywhere near anything called success. Horrifying thoughts like that let my mind wander to a place where we might have kept him as head coach following the '98 season.

[shudder]

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 01:12 PM
You're a John Blake apologist, aren't you? ;)

My mind will not allow me to believe John Blake was anywhere near anything called success. Horrifying thoughts like that let my mind wander to a place where we might have kept him as head coach following the '98 season.

[shudder]

i'm an advoctus diabolis, not a Blake apologist.

i'm just saying, the number are numbers...but the larger point is qualitative.

Sooner04
3/11/2009, 01:14 PM
What language is that? Hebrew?

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 01:19 PM
What language is that? Hebrew?

i misspelled in latin. if Gillispie can't go .500 in this years SEC? and you are UK fan....and Blake is 5-6, one "game" away from "bowl eligible"....are you feeling hot to trot after your success as a legendary program.

Collier11
3/11/2009, 01:25 PM
1st, they would be dumb to fire Gillespie, the guy can coach and is just having a tough year...he deserves atleast one more year

2nd, maybe they shouldnt have fired Tubby after all, shows what happens when spoiled fans get their way

Bosley
3/12/2009, 05:56 AM
Why in the hell is anyone trying to compare college football coaches with college basketball coaches.

fwsooner22
3/12/2009, 07:28 AM
For you "Ticket" fans.....Gillispie = Greggo ?

badger
3/26/2009, 09:18 AM
I decided to pull outta this thread outta the grave when I found this quote:

There's only one judgment I'll ever be concerned about, and I hope I pass that judgment. That's the only one I'll ever be concerned about, and I'm really proud that that's the only judgment that will ever have a real effect on me, and I hope I pass that one with flying colors."

Billy would not say (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=290840087)what the hell he was referring to, but he did just lose in the NIT to Notre Dame, at Notre Dame.

illinisooner
3/26/2009, 10:52 AM
Pat Forde said the other day that if he was fired it wouldn't be due to his W-L record, it'd be due to him not being able to handle the interpersonal aspects of such a high profile job. Aka dealing with players, boosters, the administration, etc. Take it for what it's worth, it may sound like BS but rumors are he's lost the dressing room and has issues with the administration too. My guess is that it's a combination of both. The real question is, who does Kentucky go for now? It's not like there are any big name coaches out there, and I doubt they go for an up and coming coach thanks to what happened with Billy the Kid. Obviously UK is a top 10 job, but I don't think you can persuade a Bill Self or Ben Howland to leave their current big name jobs for a lateral move.

badger
3/26/2009, 11:08 AM
as long as nobody goes for our guy, let them do whatev they want. i have the same opinion regarding all of our coaches, not just men's bball.

like always, i wish uk all of the losing in the world with the way they forced tubby out.

8timechamps
3/26/2009, 04:50 PM
1st, they would be dumb to fire Gillespie, the guy can coach and is just having a tough year...he deserves atleast one more year

2nd, maybe they shouldnt have fired Tubby after all, shows what happens when spoiled fans get their way

I don't know Collier, sometimes it's best to cut your losses.

I don't know anything about KU basketball (as far as depth, talent, etc), but I do know that KU treats their BB program much like we treat our football program. In the end, you gotta win.

I've always liked Gillespie, and give him a lot of credit for what he did at A&M. Looking at his resume, the word "loyalty" doesn't jump out. He went for the money and the tradition, and there is nothing wrong with that, so long as you back it up. In a year that the SEC could have been won by Baylor, Gillispie probably underachieved.

Collier11
3/26/2009, 04:56 PM
we will see very soon I suppose...

8timechamps
3/26/2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah.

Are they still alive in the NIT?

badger
3/26/2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah.

Are they still alive in the NIT?

I revived this thread because they lost :P

That silly quote about judgment came in the post-loss presser.

soonerfan28
3/26/2009, 05:02 PM
The unconfirmed word (rumor) is that Gillispie is gone.

8timechamps
3/26/2009, 05:02 PM
The unconfirmed word (rumor) is that Gillispie is gone.

Can I confirm it? :O

badger
3/26/2009, 05:03 PM
What's the Dean Blevins percentage on this firing?

8timechamps
3/26/2009, 05:04 PM
75/90

soonerfan28
3/26/2009, 05:08 PM
Billy Donovan or Travis Ford to replace him.

badger
3/26/2009, 05:10 PM
Billy Donovan or Travis Ford to replace him.

Donovan already told them "no" once, but it's not like Florida is on the upswing now that his prized NBA team left for the real NBA. Hmmm...

Travis Ford one-and-done at OSU? OP.com meltdown in 5...4...3.. :D

soonerfan28
3/26/2009, 05:13 PM
Donovan is getting paid like 3.5 mil. I could be wrong though and aren't they gonna have to buy out the rest of Gillispie's contract so they'll have to cough up some major money.

Just did a little searching and found that if they fired Gillispie after the 2008-09 season they would owe him 6 mil. I don't know how true that is because I also found where people said he was not under a contract with Kentucky. If anybody else has fact let me know.

They wanted Rick Barnes before they hired Gillispie and this wouldn't be a bad time to split Texas and head to Kentucky. I don't see that happening though.

8timechamps
3/26/2009, 05:35 PM
Donovan is getting paid like 3.5 mil. I could be wrong though and aren't they gonna have to buy out the rest of Gillispie's contract so they'll have to cough up some major money.

Just did a little searching and found that if they fired Gillispie after the 2008-09 season they would owe him 6 mil. I don't know how true that is because I also found where people said he was not under a contract with Kentucky. If anybody else has fact let me know.

They wanted Rick Barnes before they hired Gillispie and this wouldn't be a bad time to split Texas and head to Kentucky. I don't see that happening though.

Like I said, I don't know anything about the current situation at UK, but Barnes would be a good fit. He may prefer staying put though. I think there's a lot of work to be done in Lexington.

I heard about two weeks ago that Mark Few was on a short list should BG get axed.

Readyfor8
3/26/2009, 05:45 PM
Kentucky won't take another coach from Texas, Rick Barnes is safe. Capel isn't a good fit at Kentucky, but could be as high as 3rd or 4th on the list, I don't think Capel leaves for Kentucky.

Travis Ford is probably second or third on the list because he is a former Kentucky player. I think T Ford is the next coach at Kentucky, they won't get their first choice. Sadly I don't think his play style will be what Kentucky Fans are used to or like.