PDA

View Full Version : World Baseball Classic

8timechamps
3/11/2009, 10:08 AM
I love this tournament. Probably becuase I'm fed up with Major League Baseball, and this takes it to a different place. Like when you played in high school and it was all for pride.

Anyway, for those of you that haven't followed it, the Dominican Republic was one of the teams expected to win it all. Yesterday (Tuesday), they were eliminated by the Netherlands.

That'd be like SW Texas State coming to Norman and beating the Sooners in football. Twice!

Anyway, the USA can win their pool (thus gaining a better seed) with a win over Venezuela today. The USA beat Venezuela (in an earlier pool game) in a game that was closer than the final score indicates, 15-6.

Mixer!
3/11/2009, 10:47 AM
I blame A-Rod for the DR's demise. :pop:

Collier11
3/11/2009, 11:21 AM
actually these are all professionals on some level or another, it would be more like ou losing to tcu I would say.

Regardless, I really wasnt too pumped up until you start watching the games and see how much passion the players are actually playing with. Too bad pro sports arent like that as much anymore

badger
3/11/2009, 12:10 PM
I absolutely love watching the World Cup and thus, I love this concept. However, I haven't watched this tournament either time they've had it and don't anticipate watching it now.

I think much like World Cup, America will only care if the U.S. has a chance... or if they have allegiances to some other countries. For example, I watched Team Mexico a few years ago with a group of others in a Houston airport :D

However, that's not to say other countries won't care. On the contrary, I think this "classic" (lol at the name) has a chance to really become something a la the Olympics or World Cup.

walkoffsooner
3/11/2009, 01:17 PM
The economy is so bad you have to throw foul balls back.

8timechamps
3/15/2009, 05:59 PM
We looked nothing like a pro-filled team against Puerto Rico. Jeez!

I'm not too convinced that we can stay alive when we play the Netherlands.