PDA

View Full Version : Brands that everyone but you seem to have been into

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2009, 01:23 AM
I never understood the appeal of Old Navy stuff...

You? What don't you get among the big brands?

Boomer.....
3/11/2009, 07:36 AM
Old Navy clothes are relatively cheap so that's probably the draw. I was never into them either. Gap is another place I never buy clothes.

C&CDean
3/11/2009, 08:18 AM
abercrummy
franswa jibo
ralph
nanner republic
jeep
bmw
audi
mercedes
volvo
fiat
triumph
vw
reebok
apple
pepsi
keystone

Crimsontothecore
3/11/2009, 08:22 AM
I never understood the big deal about Green Giant. I think the Always Save corn tastes just as good.:D

8timechamps
3/11/2009, 10:10 AM
"Designer Drugs"...I think the street stuff is just as good.

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 10:14 AM
my students tell me they buy Abercrappie because the clothing "is well made". yeah, that's it.

pretty much anything that markets itself as a "lifestyle". apple, for instance.

Uggs boots, they don't make your *** look smaller because they make your legs look skinny with black tights. they just look dumb. you aren't the Netsilik eskimo princess (with a now rapidly diminished posterior) you think you are.

people who collect limited edition Nike shoes. why?

just to repeat myself, Parliament cigarettes.

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 10:18 AM
here in Colorado: Fat Tire.

sorry folks, but there are better local "micros". I like the New Belgium guys, but at this point you are just paying for the name.

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 10:18 AM
Vitamin Water.

good lord, what a scam. adding "vitamins" to water doesn't make it red or purple.

it's new age Kool-Aid with some "sport drink" overtones. Vitamin Water has a crap ton of calories.....water doesn't have calories. vitamins, either.

OhU1
3/11/2009, 10:19 AM
GEICO

8timechamps
3/11/2009, 10:22 AM
here in Colorado: Fat Tire.

sorry folks, but there are better local "micros". I like the New Belgium guys, but at this point you are just paying for the name.

Fat Tire was good the first two or three times I had it. Only becuase it was novel....you know, the whole Micro Brewery thing.

Now, it tastes like **** water.

While we're at it...95% of micro brews are bad. I don't know if this is a Colorado thing or not.

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2009, 10:31 AM
Miller Light

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 10:35 AM
Fat Tire was good the first two or three times I had it. Only becuase it was novel....you know, the whole Micro Brewery thing.

Now, it tastes like **** water.

While we're at it...95% of micro brews are bad. I don't know if this is a Colorado thing or not.

the micro thing was cool in the early 90's but now it's just who can dream up the most ridiculous name and make a beer that is a hoppy-to-the-nose crank shot.

i'll probably get killed for this but the beer in the UK and Germany and Belgium BLOWS any US micro i've had (a lot of them) away.

in Colorado, i think the Flying Dog Brewery and Avery make a pretty good beer--but, like i say, it's hop heavy. the Concept Group chains like Walnut Brewery in Boulder and I forget what they are called in Denver blow. Breckenridge is another mediocre brew....though I used to like their stout back in the day.

edit: Fat Tire is a good beer....I just wouldn't sell my children into Moroccan white slavery for it like some people. Shiner, kind of the same way. Shiner 10 years ago....was much better than it is now.

8timechamps
3/11/2009, 10:46 AM
the micro thing was cool in the early 90's but now it's just who can dream up the most ridiculous name and make a beer that is a hoppy-to-the-nose crank shot.

i'll probably get killed for this but the beer in the UK and Germany and Belgium BLOWS any US micro i've had (a lot of them) away.

in Colorado, i think the Flying Dog Brewery and Avery make a pretty good beer--but, like i say, it's hop heavy. the Concept Group chains like Walnut Brewery in Boulder and I forget what they are called in Denver blow. Breckenridge is another mediocre brew....though I used to like their stout back in the day.

edit: Fat Tire is a good beer....I just wouldn't sell my children into Moroccan white slavery for it like some people. Shiner, kind of the same way. Shiner 10 years ago....was much better than it is now.

I've always liked Tommyknocker. Probably because I remember it being around just before the micro-brew boom. And, I could stop in on the way back from skiing and drink. While everyone was clammering over Beau Jeux pizza, I was happy to sit at the bar at Tommyknockers and have a burger and a beer (or 5).

Collier11
3/11/2009, 11:24 AM
NASCAR...its considered a brand right?

OhU1
3/11/2009, 11:37 AM

I strongly disagree with both of you guys re the merits of craft and micro brews. I will choose an American craft brew over virtually any English or German beer. The Belgium’s are very good and no brewery outside Belgium will probably ever top a true Belgium style beer. However, there are some damn good Belgium style beers now being produced by craft brewers.

Taste in beer like anything else is highly subjective. I have developed a taste for very hoppy beer which I compare to developing a taste for spicy food. Once you acquire a taste for hops (or a spice) you crave it. Only 3 years ago I could barely drink a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale because I felt it was too highly hopped. Now SNPA is a mild but enjoyable session beer to me. English and especially German beers typically lack the robust taste I now crave in my beer (I do love German Oktoberfest beers, Bocks, and enjoy English ESB and especially Scottish Ales).

To each his own. However, you can check out Rate Beer.com and the better American craft brewers more than hold their own versus other beers from around the world. There may be some USA bias due to more participants from the USA but there are lots of raters from around the world rating the beers as well.

I "grew up" in the era of horrible American beer where only crap like Coors and Bud were available in the early to mid 80's. You had to buy an imported beer to get anything decent. I never expected good beer to be made in the USA. Overall in my opinion we now make the best beers in the world.

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 11:41 AM
i'm glad for the micros, really. it's a great thing to disprove the famous Cleese joke about: what does sex in a canoe and American beer have in common? they are both fu**king near water.

really. i've been through some times where i drank Olympia, Natty and MeisterBrau....and now i can afford to buy Red Hook ESB or Bridgeport IPA...or the Avery stuff i mention above...whatever is on sale which is usually where i'm at.

but, my point is drinking the UK, German, and Belgian beers made in those countries in those countries...or Scotland. Not import bottles. it's some good ****. in the US we've got about 30 years of legit competition of craft brewing competing with centuries.

C&CDean
3/11/2009, 11:44 AM
I strongly disagree with both of you guys re the merits of craft and micro brews. I will choose an American craft brew over virtually any English or German beer. The Belgium’s are very good and no brewery outside Belgium will probably ever top a true Belgium style beer. However, there are some damn good Belgium style beers now being produced by craft brewers.

Taste in beer like anything else is highly subjective. I have developed a taste for very hoppy beer which I compare to developing a taste for spicy food. Once you acquire a taste for hops (or a spice) you crave it. Only 3 years ago I could barely drink a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale because I felt it was too highly hopped. Now SNPA is a mild but enjoyable session beer to me. English and especially German beers typically lack the robust taste I now crave in my beer (I do love the Oktoberfest and enjoy English ESB and especially Scottish Ales).

To each his own. However, you can check out Rate Beer.com and the better American craft brewers more than hold their own versus other beers from around the world. There may be some USA bias due more users from the USA but there are lots of raters from around the world rating beers as well.

I "grew up" in the era of horrible American beer where only crap like Coors and Bud were available in the early to mid 80's. You had to buy an imported beer to get anything decent. I never expected good beer to be made in the USA. Overall in my opinion we now make the best beers in the world.

Meh.

The reason you developed your taste for ****ty beer is because you were trying to be hip and started drinking the ****. It's like scotch. I love Irish, Canadian, and many American whiskeys, but scotch sucks balls. Of course if I was trying to be hip, and all I drank scotch & water, I'd develop a taste for it and learn to like it.

To me, all these micro breweries and even some that started as micros and became monsters (Sam Adams?) are all about marketing to the right demographic.

My personal opinion is that if you're truly a beer geek, then Guinness, Harp, Bass, and those big bottles of french/belgian beer that I can't remember the name of are all you ever need. If you want something a little more skunky then pick up some kraut brew.

OhU1
3/11/2009, 12:08 PM
Meh.

The reason you developed your taste for ****ty beer is because you were trying to be hip and started drinking the ****. It's like scotch. I love Irish, Canadian, and many American whiskeys, but scotch sucks balls. Of course if I was trying to be hip, and all I drank scotch & water, I'd develop a taste for it and learn to like it.

To me, all these micro breweries and even some that started as micros and became monsters (Sam Adams?) are all about marketing to the right demographic.

My personal opinion is that if you're truly a beer geek, then Guinness, Harp, Bass, and those big bottles of french/belgian beer that I can't remember the name of are all you ever need. If you want something a little more skunky then pick up some kraut brew.

Guinesss, Harp, and Bass? Wow you're the real beer expert there. :rolleyes: Guiness sucks balls IMO and only thrives because of the Sam Adams style marketing you mention. College kids buy that crap and mix it with Harp. I've even had Guiness after touring the brewery in Dublin. Meh, nothing special and only 3.2% to boot by the way.

I care about being hip about as much as you appear to care about being hip. It's simple for me - I absolutely love great beer and I've drank enough of it to float a boat. I've also consumed hundreds of cases of Miller and the like from my school days and after. Hell I still won't turn one down if it's free.

I'll take your word on whiskey, scotch, and wine. I ain't into them.

Frozen Sooner
3/11/2009, 12:57 PM
I was a big fan of the Budweiser ad that basically said that every beer was a microbrew once, just people liked some of them more than others.

Don Ed Hardy clothes. Ugly as sin and tacky as new paint.

walkoffsooner
3/11/2009, 01:05 PM
Harley Davidson low power P. O. S. I even bought one once 100 years behind technolgy. But what a brain washing job they do. Make's Bernie's ponzie look like nickle and dime deal.

Dio
3/11/2009, 04:00 PM
Proctor & Gamble- friggin devil worshippers

;)

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 04:24 PM
I'm always a little amused when i see college kids getting all trendy with Dickies clothes.

Wackers in Norman could have double their prices on everything and gone "vintage" these days.

JohnnyMack
3/11/2009, 04:50 PM
Meh.

I'm not bringing you any more beer to the tailgates.

JohnnyMack
3/11/2009, 04:58 PM
i'm glad for the micros, really. it's a great thing to disprove the famous Cleese joke about: what does sex in a canoe and American beer have in common? they are both fu**king near water.

really. i've been through some times where i drank Olympia, Natty and MeisterBrau....and now i can afford to buy Red Hook ESB or Bridgeport IPA...or the Avery stuff i mention above...whatever is on sale which is usually where i'm at.

but, my point is drinking the UK, German, and Belgian beers made in those countries in those countries...or Scotland. Not import bottles. it's some good ****. in the US we've got about 30 years of legit competition of craft brewing competing with centuries.

The only countries making beer worth a **** in Europe right now are Belgium, Denmark and Sweden.

As for the micro-brew industry I'll agree that here in the states it is bloated with companies trying to make good products and many of them fail, but right now most of the best stuff in the world is being produced right here. Check out companies like AleSmith, Firestone, Three Floyds, Founders and Bells just off the top of my head. There are even more obscure ones than those that are producing great ****.

C&CDean
3/11/2009, 05:01 PM
Fischer de Alsace! Or something like that. Good ****.

JM, the Arrogant Bastard Ale was actually some good ****.

JohnnyMack
3/11/2009, 05:02 PM

I'm still trying to get a custom label with your picture on it. :D

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 05:08 PM
The only countries making beer worth a **** in Europe right now are Belgium, Denmark and Sweden.

that's BS. i was in Edinburgh two years ago, Bristol and London....visiting friends....and the beer rocks.

you seem to like that high, dry taste in stead of a "lager" or bitter.

JohnnyMack
3/11/2009, 05:14 PM
Fuller's London Porter. There's one.

As for the rest of your post, I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

OhU1
3/11/2009, 05:17 PM

Damn right. Arrogant Bastard Ale. If you're down with AB you like all the crap I like - you just don't know it.

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 05:27 PM
Fuller's London Porter. There's one.

As for the rest of your post, I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

if you are responding to me, so that's a beer you like. OK. what you are listing above are Belgian, Danish beers...that tend toward a high palate. "the only beer worth a ****"...that's what you say. Denmark, Sweden. I'd pretty much beg to differ that there aren't good beers worth a **** being make in Germnay or the UK....they may not be bottled here in the US....but i bet they are there. Kloster Andechs or Belhaven's, for one.

I like Fullers ESB a lot, but having it on tap in the UK is different. and as good as Fuller's is here, and what you pay, it's kind of like Budweiser in the UK.

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2009, 09:42 PM
Arrogant Bastard really is good....but the $3.99 price tag on this single I have here makes me drink it rather sparingly.