PDA

View Full Version : Which team will look bad in their conf. tourney?

8timechamps
3/10/2009, 07:40 PM
There are a lot of teams out there that need to play well in their conference tournament to have a chance to get an at-large bid. There are also a lot of "good" teams that need to either win out or get to the finals to get a good seed.

With all that said, which "good" team(s) do you think will have a poor showing in their conference tournament?

My pick:

UConn - I've been saying since the Huskies lost their stud gaurd (Jerome Dyson) that they haven't been the same team. The two losses to Pitt tell me that they are not at the same level as Pitt and Louisville without Dyson.

The Big East tournament gives them a two-round bye (why does the Big east have such a screwy championship?). My guess is that they will see Syracuse and lose.

My "dark horse" team (to go down) is UNC. First and foremost, I hate the Tar Heels. But, I just saw that Ty Lawson is questionable for the ACC tournament. that could be enough for Duke to sneak in and win it. Plus, I'd love to see the look on Hanbrough's face if they lost early.

tommieharris91
3/10/2009, 08:28 PM
Just in the Big 12 I'm gonna go with Mizzou. They get ATM again, and the Big 12 tourney isn't in Columbia, MO.

JLEW1818
3/10/2009, 08:51 PM
Kansas upset by Nebraska 2nd round.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
3/10/2009, 09:08 PM
Hopefully not the Sooners!!!

BOOMER!!!

tommieharris91
3/10/2009, 09:52 PM
I am also going to go with Washington. I also see Clemson and Wisconsin as sleepers in their tournaments, but I'm not really all that confident in the latter 2.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/10/2009, 10:01 PM
I think Kentucky is one and done in the SEC tourney.

tommieharris91
3/10/2009, 10:09 PM
I think Kentucky is one and done in the SEC tourney.

Pretty much anyone that plays in the SEC can win it this year. Heck, Georgia was like 5-11 in that conference last season and won it.

If you picked Butler, you are a winner.

badger
3/11/2009, 09:25 AM
I nominate Memphis. I know they play at home this year, but I just have to think that some team, desperate to get to the tourney, will have a killer gameplan to slay the giant.

C-USA teams have come close to the goal to "BEAT MEMPIS" in the past and it has to happen soon.

8timechamps
3/11/2009, 09:51 AM
I nominate Memphis. I know they play at home this year, but I just have to think that some team, desperate to get to the tourney, will have a killer gameplan to slay the giant.

C-USA teams have come close to the goal to "BEAT MEMPIS" in the past and it has to happen soon.

Haven't they won like 54 straight conference games? That would be a big upset. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

badger
3/11/2009, 10:01 AM
Haven't they won like 54 straight conference games?

Yup, which means that unlike other teams in that conference (or teams in the Big 12, for example), they are EXPECTED to win every game. If KU loses to Mizzou or us, or if we lose to Mizzou, it's not an upset, per se. Hell, I can't think of any other conference team where it's a guaranteed expectation for teams to win out. For other teams, you can use the "losses happen" excuse... but not Memphis.

Should Memphis lose to a C-USA team for the first time in however long, they will look worse than any other team going into the NCAA's.

soonerfan28
3/11/2009, 10:05 AM
Missouri and Texas and in the Big East I will also say UCONN. I hope somebody smacks Louisville good though, so we have one less contender for that #1 seed. Wouldn't mind seeing Michigan State go down also.

NMSooner'80
3/11/2009, 01:33 PM
Missouri and Texas .

I think Texas used up all of its luck when it injured Blake Griffin. I also think any UT game in "prime time" will also result in OU fans calling for their blood in a not-so-polite fashion.

IronHorseSooner
3/11/2009, 03:28 PM
I think Texas used up all of its luck when it injured Blake Griffin. I also think any UT game in "prime time" will also result in OU fans calling for their blood in a not-so-polite fashion.

The thing is that a lot of folks want to beat KU and UTerus, but due to the tie-breakers, we have the possibility of facing only one of them. For me, I choose UTerus. KU really doesn't offend me in the way UTerus does. Ironically, if they wouldn't have injured Blake, they would have been an 8-8 team in conference.

NMSooner'80
3/11/2009, 06:12 PM
I hope the one from Payne County stinks it up today, but I probably just guaranteed an Aggie win by saying that. :confused:

Here's also hoping that BYU and UNLV go down in flames in the Mountain West also. BYU is sort of like KU West, in terms of sheer arrogance and a holier-than-thou attitude.

King Crimson
3/11/2009, 06:17 PM
LSU

tommieharris91
3/11/2009, 11:49 PM
Well there goes my Mizzou pick...

tommieharris91
3/15/2009, 11:05 AM
Kansas upset by Nebraska 2nd round.

I am also going to go with Washington.

These look like winners to me.

badger
3/15/2009, 11:25 AM
Lesson for future "which team will look bad in their conference tourney" picks: Just go with whichever team is ranked No. 1 in their conference... unless they are Memphis :mad:

:rolleyes: This is going to be a baaaaad bracket year for everyone.