PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma is #7

SteelClip49
3/9/2009, 12:44 PM
in the new Coaches Poll....keep dropping but I doubt this effects the chances of a #1 seed...then again, winning at least 2 in OKC would be nice.

Sooner98
3/9/2009, 01:00 PM
I think we need to win the tournament to get the #1.

bri
3/9/2009, 01:02 PM
I'm new here, but it seems to me that if you're #7 and dropping, wouldn't that make your chances of being considered one of the top 4 teams in America pretty slim?

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2009, 01:06 PM
Heh.

Last I saw, OU's RPI was estimated at #4 as of last night. Barring Louisville winning the Big East tournament or OU going one-and-done in the Big 12 tournament, I think we've got a legit shot at a 1 seed still.

Sure, there's the 7-3 (or 6-4) last ten, which won't help at all, but the tournament committee will look at the fact that two of those losses were on the road to tourney teams and two of them were minus Blake Griffin.

8timechamps
3/9/2009, 01:12 PM
I'm new here, but it seems to me that if you're #7 and dropping, wouldn't that make your chances of being considered one of the top 4 teams in America pretty slim?

N00b!

EVERYONE knows dropping in the polls can only help you!!!1!

badger
3/9/2009, 01:12 PM
We have poor momentum right now, but a few wins in a row would definitely help... a few more would win the Big 12 tourney. Never losing again this year... now THAT would be "teh aw3som3111"... and also, the national title.

NO MORE LOSING ALLOWED! :D

josh09
3/9/2009, 01:14 PM
I personally wouldnt mind if we were a 1 or 2 seed, I just hope we play kansas, texas, and mizzou in the conference tournament, somehow, and end up beating all of them :D

bri
3/9/2009, 01:18 PM
Barring Louisville winning the Big East tournament or OU going one-and-done in the Big 12 tournament, I think we've got a legit shot at a 1 seed still.

Well yeah, that's kind of my thinking too. We have to win the Big 12 tourney if we want to even sniff a #1 seed. People who think we're some kind of mortal lock for a #1 if we manage to whiff on both the regular season AND tournament titles are just plain silly.

tommieharris91
3/9/2009, 01:40 PM
Palm has us as a #1 in today's bracket. Loonardi doesn't, though. I dunno, our profile and Louisville's are pretty close. They have one more loss than us, but we have one ugly loss. Our RPI is at 5 and theirs is at 9 right now. Outside of beating UAB (which is something OU also did), they did nothing out of conference and they didn't beat one team that deserves a bid. Their only claim to a #1 seed is based on their strength of Big East, which Louisville won. Their losses are to Western Kentucky, Minnesota, UNLV, @Notre Dame, and to UConn. Ours, of course, are @Arkansas, @Texas, vs Kansas, and @Mizzou. So, while 3 of our losses are pretty explainable, some of their losses really aren't.

I would also say to watch out for Michigan State as a sleeper. RPI of 6, 12-2 against the RPI top 50, no bad losses.

8timechamps
3/9/2009, 02:08 PM
Palm has us as a #1 in today's bracket. Loonardi doesn't, though. I dunno, our profile and Louisville's are pretty close. They have one more loss than us, but we have one ugly loss. Our RPI is at 5 and theirs is at 9 right now. Outside of beating UAB (which is something OU also did), they did nothing out of conference and they didn't beat one team that deserves a bid. Their only claim to a #1 seed is based on their strength of Big East, which Louisville won. Their losses are to Western Kentucky, Minnesota, UNLV, @Notre Dame, and to UConn. Ours, of course, are @Arkansas, @Texas, vs Kansas, and @Mizzou. So, while 3 of our losses are pretty explainable, some of their losses really aren't.

I would also say to watch out for Michigan State as a sleeper. RPI of 6, 12-2 against the RPI top 50, no bad losses.

I saw Lunardi's bracket earlier, and saw that he had replaced us with Louisville. I just can't see the committee putting 3 teams from the same conference as 1 seeds.

The only way I think Louisville get a one seed is if they make it to the championship game of the Big East tourny and we have a poor showing.

I think there are a lot of folks jumping on the Memphis bandwagon. If we fall, I'd think they'd put Michigan State or Memphis in at one before Louisville.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/9/2009, 02:54 PM
A couple things:

Semantics I know, but we are not dropping in the polls, we dropped. We aren't going going to be lower tommorrow. If you are pointing out the trend I do get it.

We win the Big 12 we are likely a #1 seed. I think that not only gives us 3 more wins to get to 30 but it also reinforces the theory among some that we can get a mulligan for losing when Blake was hurt. We lose at any point and I think the door opens enough for Louisville or Mich St to get the other #1 seed.

Sooner04
3/9/2009, 03:11 PM
If we want a #1 seed, we'll need Pittsburgh to win the Big East Tournament. More than likely, that means they'll defeat both Connecticut and Louisville during that run. If that happens, and we win our tournament, I see these four as the #1 seeds.

Pittsburgh
North Carolina
Memphis
Oklahoma

Our RPI is still strong, and I believe the committee will factor in Blake's absence for that one, miserable week.

If Pittsburgh is defeated by Connecticut or Louisville then I think one of those teams will get a 1-seed over us.

JLEW1818
3/9/2009, 03:13 PM
better question. Which big 12 teams make the tournament?

tommieharris91
3/9/2009, 03:31 PM
04, why do you, or anyone have Memphis as a #1 seed? They're only 4-3 against the RPI top 50, and that includes 2 wins over UAB (admittedly, both OU and Louisville have those same wins). I'm not too sure that going something like 1-2 against teams that make the tournament is worthy of earning a #1 seed, especially over Louisville, OU, or Michigan State.

tommieharris91
3/9/2009, 03:31 PM
better question. Which big 12 teams make the tournament?

OU, KU, Mizzou, texas, ATM are all locks. OSU gets in if they win vs Iowa State.

JLEW1818
3/9/2009, 03:36 PM
Good chance a big 12 team makes it to the final four?

IronHorseSooner
3/9/2009, 03:48 PM
After Duke losing yesterday, 7 teams have legit cases for a #1 seed. UNC and Pitt are mortal locks. Memphis won't get one unless we, Louisville, MSU, and UCONN all whiff. Memphis is a lock, but as a #2. MSU does have two home losses to N'Western and Penn State, two bubble teams; however, I think they both came with one of their stars, Morgan, out with walking pneumonia. Unless Louisville wins the Big East tourney, they aren't getting a #1 seed. If they do win it, they deserve it for winning both. UCONN is one that some are talking about being in jeopardy. They are the reverse of us. Their losses of late have came without Dyson, and he's out for the rest of the year. If UCONN doesn't win their tourney, they are a #2. They were 3rd in their conference, and they wouldn't have won their tourney. If we win our tourney, we have a #1. As someone posted earlier, this would also solidify our case with 2 of losses coming with Blake out.

Sooner04
3/9/2009, 04:04 PM
04, why do you, or anyone have Memphis as a #1 seed? They're only 4-3 against the RPI top 50, and that includes 2 wins over UAB (admittedly, both OU and Louisville have those same wins). I'm not too sure that going something like 1-2 against teams that make the tournament is worthy of earning a #1 seed, especially over Louisville, OU, or Michigan State.
Because they are winning every game. Also, don't discount the fact that when they face somebody decent, like Gonzaga, they blow them out.

Lots of people talk about the Gonzaga game because it was the marquee game of the week and Memphis made them look like a bunch of peons.

You can't fault a team for what conference they're in. If you're good, you're good, and Memphis is REALLY good. They're the UNLV of this generation. Maybe that's why I think highly of them.

starclassic tama
3/9/2009, 04:09 PM
A couple things:

Semantics I know, but we are not dropping in the polls, we dropped. We aren't going going to be lower tommorrow. If you are pointing out the trend I do get it.

sounds like a badger post. we were #2, then #4, #5, and #7, so we are dropping. the polls don't get released but once a week.

badger
3/9/2009, 05:27 PM
I'm going to ask you to stop posting in this thread.

Who'd that post sound like?

JLEW1818
3/9/2009, 05:47 PM
sounds like a badger post. we were #2, then #4, #5, and #7, so we are dropping. the polls don't get released but once a week.

get the hell off dude. your red for a reason.

soonerfan28
3/9/2009, 06:14 PM
Because they are winning every game. Also, don't discount the fact that when they face somebody decent, like Gonzaga, they blow them out.

Lots of people talk about the Gonzaga game because it was the marquee game of the week and Memphis made them look like a bunch of peons.

You can't fault a team for what conference they're in. If you're good, you're good, and Memphis is REALLY good. They're the UNLV of this generation. Maybe that's why I think highly of them.

Just because you win every game doesn't mean they you're good. They play in a weak conference and your best argument is that they beat Gonzaga. Gonzaga would lose to every other top 10 team by a huge margin also so that doen't mean that Memphis is good. If OU played in C-USA then we would be undefeated in league play just like Memphis.

8timechamps
3/9/2009, 06:19 PM
Play nice...

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2009, 06:20 PM
Plus, it was silly to say that was like a badger post. There weren't any pictures. :D

8timechamps
3/9/2009, 06:28 PM
I just read the religion post on the SO...I see there is some spill over.

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah, there's a couple of crankypantses running around who need a nap.

Nice pickup for the Donks with Dawkins, by the way.

8timechamps
3/9/2009, 06:31 PM
No kidding.

We'll see about Dawkins. We've let go of half the defense (which was needed).

What's the scoop on LT?

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2009, 06:45 PM
If he thinks that the Spanos' are going to pay him like he's 25 again, he's not going to be playing in San Diego.

Fortunately, I think both sides are now being pretty reasonable. LT knows he's had a couple of disappointing years in a row due to injury, so I think he's willing to take less to stay in San Diego. I'd sure hate for him to get well in a Raiders uniform, you know?

Sooner04
3/9/2009, 07:41 PM
Just because you win every game doesn't mean they you're good. They play in a weak conference and your best argument is that they beat Gonzaga. Gonzaga would lose to every other top 10 team by a huge margin also so that doen't mean that Memphis is good. If OU played in C-USA then we would be undefeated in league play just like Memphis.
Well, I'm certainly no expert. While other teams are knocking each other around, Memphis just keeps winning ballgames. If you're talented, you're talented, regardless of what conference you play in. C-USA wasn't worth a damn last year and Memphis was the best team in the country.

I strongly dislike Gonzaga, but if they were as bad as you suggest then they wouldn't have gone to Knoxville and won. They beat Maryland by 22. They beat O-State by 12, something we couldn't match.

UNLV made a program doing the very thing Memphis is doing. Playing games nationally and then getting sharp by waxing their conference foes. The Rebels were always good come tournament time, and Memphis has done the same since Calipari got things rolling.

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2009, 07:43 PM
Dude. Alabama went to Knoxville and won. Tennessee sucks harder than a really sucky thing.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/9/2009, 07:57 PM

Your post smells like teen spirit,tuna.

I prefer sounding like Badger's posts. I guess you think we can't beat a team we beat twice including on their home floor and we are overmatched now against MU on a neutral floor. I bet your favorite basketball player is Tony Parker.

bri
3/9/2009, 08:02 PM
Hey, lay off of C-USA. We're doing the best we can. :D

Memphis is in the #1 seed conversation 'cause they've won a crapload of games and they were last year's national runner-up. So obviously, they have more going for them than beating Marshall twice a year.

tommieharris91
3/9/2009, 08:04 PM
Dude. Alabama went to Knoxville and won. Tennessee sucks harder than a really sucky thing.

Going to Knoxville and winning is like Paris Hilton. Everyone's doing it!!

LSU
Memphis
Gonzaga
Kentucky
Alabama

tommieharris91
3/9/2009, 08:08 PM
Hey, lay off of C-USA. We're doing the best we can. :D

Memphis is in the #1 seed conversation 'cause they've won a crapload of games and they were last year's national runner-up. So obviously, they have more going for them than beating Marshall twice a year.

That's really about all Memphis has done. Unfortunately, being the national runner-up should have no bearing on what seed Memphis gets this season. I would like to see someone in CUSA actually beat Memphis though.

JLEW1818
3/9/2009, 08:11 PM
how much better was memphis team last year?

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2009, 08:11 PM
That's really about all Memphis has done. Unfortunately, being the national runner-up should have no bearing on what seed Memphis gets this season. I would like to see someone in CUSA actually beat Memphis though.

Yes and no. Some coaches do a really good job of preparing a team for tournament play, so some historical record of tourney performance is relevant to seeding.

tommieharris91
3/9/2009, 08:33 PM
Yes and no. Some coaches do a really good job of preparing a team for tournament play, so some historical record of tourney performance is relevant to seeding.

No, the committee should never actually take past performance into account of letting teams into the NCAAs or hand out higher seeding. Unfortunately, I think it sometimes it does.

tommieharris91
3/9/2009, 08:42 PM
how much better was memphis team last year?

Very. The teams they played out of conference are almost the same teams they played out of conference last season. The trouble for them is that Gonzaga, Georgetown (who they lost to in DC), and Tennessee are shells of what they were last season. They played good teams this season too. On top of those listed, the also played Syracuse and Xavier, but they lost to em both. So they did try to make up for playing in CUSA by scheduling some good teams.

Last season, they beat OU, UConn, USC (who was good and made the tourney), Gonzaga (probably better last season than this season), Georgetown (who I think was a 2 seed last season), and Arizona (made the NCAAs). Their only losses all season long were to Tennessee and Kansas.

soonerfan28
3/9/2009, 08:44 PM
Well, I'm certainly no expert. While other teams are knocking each other around, Memphis just keeps winning ballgames. If you're talented, you're talented, regardless of what conference you play in. C-USA wasn't worth a damn last year and Memphis was the best team in the country.

I strongly dislike Gonzaga, but if they were as bad as you suggest then they wouldn't have gone to Knoxville and won. They beat Maryland by 22. They beat O-State by 12, something we couldn't match.

UNLV made a program doing the very thing Memphis is doing. Playing games nationally and then getting sharp by waxing their conference foes. The Rebels were always good come tournament time, and Memphis has done the same since Calipari got things rolling.

So then I guess you would say that Rogers State is a really good team because they've won a crapload of games. The competition you play on a weekly basis has a bearing on how good you really are. I say Memphis will probably make the Sweet Sixteen because the'll be playing at home, but they are not good. I think next year if Evans stays then they'll be a top 5 team.

tommieharris91
3/9/2009, 08:49 PM
So then I guess you would say that Rogers State is a really good team because they've won a crapload of games. The competition you play on a weekly basis has a bearing on how good you really are. I say Memphis will probably make the Sweet Sixteen because the'll be playing at home, but they are not good. I think next year if Evans stays then they'll be a top 5 team.

They aren't allowed to play in the South regional because they host the South semis and finals. They'll get shipped off no matter what.

Sooner04
3/9/2009, 08:49 PM
So then I guess you would say that Rogers State is a really good team because they've won a crapload of games. .
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'll be shocked if Rogers State is seeded lower than a five.

All I gave was an opinion. I think Memphis will be a #1. I'm not trying to start a riot here. We had a chance to seal our #1 and we lost games. Memphis did not.

Eielson
3/9/2009, 09:48 PM

Didn't Louisville lose to Notre Dame by 33 at full strength or something like that?

Eielson
3/9/2009, 09:53 PM
Didn't Louisville lose to Notre Dame by 33 at full strength or something like that?

Yeah, it's kinda hard to imagine a 1 seed do this.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290430087

Eielson
3/9/2009, 10:03 PM
Very. The teams they played out of conference are almost the same teams they played out of conference last season. The trouble for them is that Gonzaga, Georgetown (who they lost to in DC), and Tennessee are shells of what they were last season. They played good teams this season too. On top of those listed, the also played Syracuse and Xavier, but they lost to em both. So they did try to make up for playing in CUSA by scheduling some good teams.

Last season, they beat OU, UConn, USC (who was good and made the tourney), Gonzaga (probably better last season than this season), Georgetown (who I think was a 2 seed last season), and Arizona (made the NCAAs). Their only losses all season long were to Tennessee and Kansas.

Yeah, how they did last year should have nothing to do with where they are seeded. They lost maybe the best post defender in the nation, the #1 pick in the draft, and then a player that was better than either one of those. This isn't last years team at all.

badger
3/10/2009, 08:00 AM
Who cares if Memphis is a one-seed or not? Haven't we done a sufficient enough job of convincing you all that a two-seed is also a very good thing for OU? Here, one more time for all the marbles:

Round one:

1 vs. 16 (1 always wins)
2 vs. 15 (15 is usually just as bad as 16 - win for 2)

Round two:

1 vs. 8 (8 pulls a lot of upsets)
2 vs. 10 (because the 10 always beats the 7)

There you have it - nearly equal opponents in the first round, while in the second round, the two has the easier opponent.

Sooner04
3/10/2009, 08:41 AM
1 vs. 8 (8 pulls a lot of upsets)
2 vs. 10 (because the 7 always beats the 10)
Oh no, I've gone crosseyed.

badger
3/10/2009, 09:00 AM
I just uncrossed them for you - 10 is a good upset to pick in the first round over 7, history shows... not the typo way that I had before.

As such, I would argue that first round opponents are virtually identical for the one and two seeds, whereas the difference between a 10-seed and 8-seed are a little more noticeable... but perhaps that's just because I remember Wisconsin going to the Final Four in 2000 as an 8-seed :D

soonerfan28
3/10/2009, 09:30 AM
Well, I'm certainly no expert. While other teams are knocking each other around, Memphis just keeps winning ballgames.

So does Utah State, but where are they ranked?

Sooner04
3/10/2009, 10:09 AM
So does Utah State, but where are they ranked?
Doesn't matter. Look, they say what you do from year to year has little to no bearing on your seeding, but that's bupkus.

Memphis has proven year after year to be a very strong team from a weak conference. When they step outside their conference, they represent themselves well. They've been to the Elite 8 three consecutive years, so they will have that momentum assisting them with the committee this year.

badger
3/10/2009, 10:13 AM
They've been to the Elite 8 three consecutive years, so they will have that momentum assisting them with the committee this year.

All the more reason to cheer on Tulsa so that at least one of Memphis' streaks stops. Perhaps a screeching halt to their stranglehold on C-USA would shake their confidence enough to be the first one-seed to lose to a 16?

Then again, would they still be a one-seed if they lost to TU in the conference tourney? Ehhhhh, who cares? BEAT MEMPIS!
http://rangelife.typepad.com/rangelife/images/2008/02/20/uab1.jpg

8timechamps
3/10/2009, 11:09 AM
I guess I just don't understand all the fuss over Memphis.

Both Memphis and KU lost talent from last year's national title game teams. It just so happens that KU lost more than Memphis did. KU returned one started from last year's team (Sherron Collins), and Memphis returned two (Dozier and Anderson).

I think that was factored into both team's AP rankings preseason (KU was ranked 25, and Memphis was ranked 13).

Now, you can argue the preseason rankings ‘til you're blue in the face, and you'll get nowhere. Everyone knows preseason rankings are a semi-educated guess.

So, Memphis started the year at #13. Over the course of the first 9 weeks, they went from 13 to four consecutive weeks of being unranked.

Memphis moved itself up the polls by winning when others were losing. And today they sit at #4 because of it.

When the committee sits down to seed the tourney on Sunday, we all know they use more than just the RPI.

Don't discount Memphis just because they play in CUSA. They also happen to be coached by one of the best coaches in college basketball, They sliced through their conference schedule without so much as a hiccup, AND the committee will take into account their competition...but they also take into account their competitions competition.

As it stands now, Memphis is probably on the outside looking in at a 1 seed. But, one slip by us, a poor showing by any of the Big East powers or a slip by UNC, and they are a 1 seed.

starclassic tama
3/10/2009, 02:30 PM
i think it is as simple as we win the big 12 tourney, we get a 1 seed. we don't, we are likely a 2.

OU_Sooners75
3/10/2009, 02:48 PM
Who cares about the seed we get?

Honestly. If we are good enough to make the Final Four & The Championship Game, it does not matter what seed we get.

Fact is, we must play to the best of our abilites to have any type of chance to make a very long run into the tournament.

So seeding does not matter!

starclassic tama
3/10/2009, 02:50 PM
seeding most definitely does matter. what matters more than seeding, especially in a case of #1 vs. #2, is the draw we get. #5 vs. #12 is historically where the upsets are in the first round. 10 over 7 isn't really much of an upset, considering the 10 is usually a really good midmajor against a big conference team who barely squeaked in.

badger
3/10/2009, 03:04 PM
Give us a 1, 2, or 16 seed. Hell, give us the play-in game seed! All that matters from here on out is that we do NOTHING but win! ANY loss from here on out costs us trophies! ... and nets too, I suppose.

IronHorseSooner
3/10/2009, 04:03 PM
They aren't allowed to play in the South regional because they host the South semis and finals. They'll get shipped off no matter what.

If we're a won, you can mark it down that they will be OUr #2. Therefore, if all things pan out, we'll get to see just how well we do match up with Memphis. The problem for Memphis is that their best win is Gonzaga, and the rest of their OOC marquee match ups they either lost or the team turned out to be worse than anyone thought.

tommieharris91
3/10/2009, 04:15 PM
If we're a won, you can mark it down that they will be our #2. Therefore, if all things pan out, we'll get to see just how well we do match up with Memphis. The problem for Memphis is that their best win is Gonzaga, and the rest of their OOC marquee match ups they either lost or the team turned out to be worse than anyone thought.

This is why they don't even deserve a #2.

cheezyq
3/10/2009, 05:13 PM
Who cares about the seed we get?

Honestly. If we are good enough to make the Final Four & The Championship Game, it does not matter what seed we get.

Fact is, we must play to the best of our abilites to have any type of chance to make a very long run into the tournament.

So seeding does not matter!

I want to agree with this, but the #1 seed comes with more advantages than just playing the lower seeds that first week. The difference is how far a team has to drive and how many fans will be in the seats to support the team. Usually a #1 will have a home-court advantage the first couple of rounds. The #1 seed also won't have to travel as far, and so fatigue is less of a factor.

Both of those things contribute to "playing to the best of our abilities". While a #2 see wouldn't be bad, it's clearly better to be a #1 seed.

Regarding Memphis...they won't be a #1 seed, period. The biggest factor in top-tier seeding is RPI, and Memphis CAN'T improve on its RPI playing in the CUSA. They are sitting at #7 in RPI, just a smidge ahead of KU. OU, KU, Duke, Pitt, MSU, Louisville, and UConn are all equal or greater in RPI than Memphis and all of them have a chance to increase their RPI through grueling conference tournaments. Barring a collapse in the first round by 5 of those teams in their conference tourney, there is no way for Memphis to move up. Memphis, whether they deserve it or not, is getting a #2, so there's no reason to worry about them taking a #1 spot.

8timechamps
3/10/2009, 07:23 PM
This is why they don't even deserve a #2.

Although I don't think you are right, I really, really hope you are.

OSUAggie
3/10/2009, 07:24 PM
So then I guess you would say that Rogers State is a really good team because they've won a crapload of games.

Don't **** with the Hillcats.

tommieharris91
3/10/2009, 08:26 PM
Although I don't think you are right, I really, really hope you are.

Ohh I think they'll get a #2, but they don't deserve it over Louisville, Duke, Michigan State, OU, or Kansas.

OU_Sooners75
3/11/2009, 01:47 AM
seeding most definitely does matter. what matters more than seeding, especially in a case of #1 vs. #2, is the draw we get. #5 vs. #12 is historically where the upsets are in the first round. 10 over 7 isn't really much of an upset, considering the 10 is usually a really good midmajor against a big conference team who barely squeaked in.

Let me put this in simpleton terms...maybe then you will understand what I am saying.

I F
Y O U
A R E
G O O D,
T H E N
T H E
S E E D I N G
D O E S
N O T
M A T T E R.

Now, that states: "If you are good, then the seeding does not matter."

In the history of the tournament...All the #1 seeds made the final four just one time (last season). With that said, if OU is one of the top 3 seeds in their bracket, it does not matter!

Not hard to understand.

cheezyq
3/11/2009, 09:25 AM
Let me put this in simpleton terms...maybe then you will understand what I am saying.

I F
Y O U
A R E
G O O D,
T H E N
T H E
S E E D I N G
D O E S
N O T
M A T T E R.

In the history of the tournament...All the #1 seeds made the final four just one time (last season). With that said, if OU is one of the top 3 seeds in their bracket, it does not matter!

Not hard to understand.

How about we say, "If you are good, you can overcome despite the seeding"? :D Is that a good compromise?

Yes, historically ALL #1 seeds don't usually make it. But, historically, more #1 seeds make it than #2 seeds and lower. This is specifically the case the last few years, as the committee appears to try to put the #1 seeded teams closer to their home base. I don't think they did that with regularity in the past.

Seriously, I don't usually agree with tama because he's often way out there, but there are some advantages to having the #1 seed. I'm just trying to see both sides of the argument. :)

soonerfan28
3/11/2009, 09:43 AM
Don't **** with the Hillcats.
I only used them to make a point. I think they've had a very good year for this being there second year. They'll win it all.

badger
3/11/2009, 09:46 AM
:P chill, 28. don't take all this stuff seriously :D

8timechamps
3/11/2009, 09:59 AM

I F
Y O U
A R E
G O O D,
T H E N
T H E
S E E D I N G
D O E S
N O T
M A T T E R.

Not hard to understand.

I don't know how many heard Bob Knight this morning on Mike & Mike, but he said essentially the same thing. He said the only real advantage is for the 1 seeds. Just because they are getting the 61,62,63 & 64 seeds.

He said that once you get to round two, you are probably playing a quality team. Unless there was some kind of crazy upset in the frst round, then you're playing a team capable of an upset.

Pretty interesting. I always felt like seeding was a major thing. The General changed my mind. He has won 3 national titles afterall.

Sooner04
3/11/2009, 10:34 AM
The General is right. After the first round, it turns into a crapshoot REAL fast.

Take a look at 2000. We're a 3-seed, but we lose to Purdue in the 2nd round in Tucson. If we win that game we move on to Albuquerque where we would've taken on 10-seed Gonzaga and then 8-seed Wisconsin.

The entire region fell apart and we could've gone to the Final Four with a road easier than any 1-seed has ever seen. If you're a 1-seed or a 2-seed, your course of action is simple. Win your first two games and let the dominoes fall.

Oh, and as for 2000, I can still see us "fouling" Cornell with about a minute to go for the three free-throws that torpedoed our season. :(

starclassic tama
3/11/2009, 10:35 AM
draw matters a lot more than seeding. historically there have been some 1 seeds that have a ridiculously harder road to the final four than others. of course it helps to be good, but being good isn't enough in the NCAA tournament. you have to win 6 games in a row, you need some luck and favorable matchups along the way to win it all no matter how good you are.

badger
3/11/2009, 10:57 AM
I don't wanna do 2003 all over again. No more playing Syracuse in New York.

No playing Memphis at Memphis. No playing Arizona in Tempe. No playing some New England region team in Boston. Indy seems the safest route, because the Big 10 is off this year, aside from Mich St... if they make it to the Final Four and get to play it in Detroit, whoa. It'd be like us playing in OKC.

OU_Sooners75
3/12/2009, 01:09 AM
How about we say, "If you are good, you can overcome despite the seeding"? :D Is that a good compromise?

Yes, historically ALL #1 seeds don't usually make it. But, historically, more #1 seeds make it than #2 seeds and lower. This is specifically the case the last few years, as the committee appears to try to put the #1 seeded teams closer to their home base. I don't think they did that with regularity in the past.

Seriously, I don't usually agree with tama because he's often way out there, but there are some advantages to having the #1 seed. I'm just trying to see both sides of the argument. :)

We can compromise on that.

But I am not saying the that being a #1 seed does nothave its advantages. What I am saying is if you are good enough to make it all the way, then the seeding really does not matter.