PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater PCs

OUMallen
3/9/2009, 10:27 AM
OK gang, I just acquired a PC to plug into my TV at home and some speakers. It's all set up. Now, the question is: what kind of software and websites do you use? I'm going to use iTunes for my music, and I have found hulu.com to be handy. Any other ideas?

SoonerJack
3/9/2009, 10:38 AM
this is crazy talk, mallen. you can't plug your computer into your tv. you plug your antenna into your tv, then you put aluminum foil on the antenna. if that doesn't work, then get your youngest child to hold the antenna in just the right spot.

OUMallen
3/9/2009, 11:11 AM
haha, I AM the youngest child!

yermom
3/9/2009, 11:12 AM
for playing movie files i like vlc http://videolan.org

you can also stream NetFlix...

some people seem to like Handbrake to rip DVDs but i haven't really tried it much (they can be then played by vlc)

setem
3/9/2009, 11:20 AM
I am not sure what you are asking here?

Can you see your desktop and you play movies strait up? Or are you wanting to stream from the pc to your TV?

If you are playing strait up then downloaded content can be played on WMP with the proper codecs. If you download Divx Player is comes with a big pack of Codex and then FFDshow is a codec pack that will tighten it all up for you. Divx player is pretty good too!

OUMallen
3/9/2009, 11:39 AM
I'm just asking for general suggestions beyond my usiong itunes. I didn't know Netflix had streaming.

Getem
3/9/2009, 05:18 PM
Look into xbmc