PDA

View Full Version : Big XII Tournament

8timechamps
3/8/2009, 10:44 PM
For those of interest, this is the official site (http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=15241240) for this year's tournament.

We get the winner of the Iowa State/O-State game. I honestly would rather not see O-State again. So I can only ISU somehow pulls off the upset.

Thoughts on seeing the pokes again?

Collier11
3/8/2009, 10:47 PM
it would be a tough game, I do know that if we get past osu/isu I would love a rematch game with mizzou in OKC.

Win a game and we are a gauranteed 2 seed I would think. I think winning the tourney or losing in the finals only if KU gets knocked off earlier than the finals will get us a 1 seed possible

jumperstop
3/8/2009, 11:49 PM
Does anyone know how I can get single session tickets for the tourney?

Collier11
3/8/2009, 11:53 PM
The Ford Center Box Office if they arent sold out, try craigslist but be careful

nighttrain12
3/9/2009, 12:04 AM
http://www.ticketmaster.com/Ford-Center-tickets-Oklahoma-City/venue/98958

It looks like on Ticketmaster they are going to sell single session tickets for the Men, but they are not on sale yet, only all sessions. The Womens single session tickets go on sale on Monday morning. They are playing that tourney at Cox (across the street from the Ford Center).

OUSKINS
3/9/2009, 07:06 AM
There are some solid deals on ebay right now for single sessions....

badger
3/9/2009, 07:44 AM
Here's the schej:

Wednesday’s Games

(8) Nebraska vs (9) Baylor, 11:30 a.m.

(5) Texas vs (12) Colorado, 2 p.m.

(7) Oklahoma State vs (10) Iowa State, 6 p.m.

(6) Texas A&M vs (11) Texas Tech, 8:30 p.m.

Thursday’s Games

(1) Kansas vs Nebraska/Baylor winner, 11:30 a.m.

(4) Kansas State vs Texas/Colorado winner, 2 p.m.

(2) Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State/Iowa State winner, 6 p.m.

(3) Missouri vs Texas A&M/Texas Tech winner, 8:30 p.m.

Friday’s Games

Thursday afternoon winners, 6 p.m.

Oklahoma vs. Mizzou (A&M?), 8:30 p.m.

Saturday’s Game

Oklahoma vs. ?, 5 p,m,

8timechamps
3/9/2009, 10:51 AM
Does anyone know how I can get single session tickets for the tourney?

Waaaay back in the early 90's, when we had a regional at the Myriad, there were tons of people selling tickets outside. There was a pretty heavy police presence too, so that kept most of the folks from charging more than face.

Then again, that was a long time ago...before you could really get tix online.

badger
3/9/2009, 11:06 AM
Are there any session tix left here (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0C004113AC99AFCD?artistid=1297234&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7)?

Or, if you feel safe using the second-hand market, try eBay here (http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZbigQ2012Q20tournamentQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR 40QQ_mdoZ) for cheaper tix.

Here is the wimmen's schej:

Thursday's games
Game 1: No. 5 Kansas State vs. No. 12 Colorado, 11 a.m.
Game 2: No. 8 Kansas vs. No. 9 Nebraska, 1:30 p.m.
Game 3: No. 6 Texas vs. No. 11 Missouri, 5 p.m.
Game 4: No. 7 Texas Tech vs. No. 10 Oklahoma State, 7:30 p.m.

Friday's quarterfinals
Game 5: No. 1 Oklahoma vs. Kansas (likely), 11 a.m.
Game 6: No. 4 Texas A&M vs. Game 1 Winner, 1:30 p.m.
Game 7: No. 2 Baylor vs. Game 4 Winner, 5 p.m.
Game 8: No. 3 Iowa State vs. Game 3 Winner, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday's semifinals
Game 9: Oklahoma vs. aTm thugs, Noon
Game 10: Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8, 2:30 p.m.

Sunday's championship
Game 11: Oklahoma vs. Baylor (ISU?)), 12:30 p.m.

I will just say it again: It is amazing how far OSU has dropped in just one year. This is a testament to their longterm instability under their current coach... and Thug Riley's possible chemistry issues.

Remembering Tom Stidham
3/9/2009, 11:18 AM
Sherri says Whitney Hand will be back for the tournament. GREAT news!

badger
3/9/2009, 11:20 AM
Sherri says Whitney Hand will be back for the tournament. GREAT news!

Let's give her a hand!

I hope her shooting hand has healed!

You gotta hand it to them trainers!

THERE! HA! All cliches possible are out the window! I did it before anyone else could! :P Annnnd... might as well get this reference out of the way, too:
http://www.caffiene-fueled.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/picard_riker_facepalms.jpg

SoonersBIG7
3/9/2009, 12:20 PM
You think there will be any scalp tickets walking aroung before any games?

8timechamps
3/9/2009, 12:32 PM
You think there will be any scalp tickets walking aroung before any games?

Waaaay back in the early 90's, when we had a regional at the Myriad, there were tons of people selling tickets outside. There was a pretty heavy police presence too, so that kept most of the folks from charging more than face.

Then again, that was a long time ago...before you could really get tix online.

yep

nighttrain12
3/9/2009, 01:19 PM
I imagine there are people who bought all session tickets who don't have the time nor inclination to attend 11 games in 4 days, so yes.

badger
3/10/2009, 09:14 AM
I imagine there are people who bought all session tickets who don't have the time nor inclination to attend 11 games in 4 days, so yes.

Especially those whose teams get prematurely upset, which we can probably foresee with KSU at a 4-seed, for example.

In any event, here are some tee vee times for you all... just for men for now. I think that Fox Sports Net is showing the wimmen's games, but it is likely that there will be localized showings of some games too.

Here in Tulsa, it appears that NBC 2/9 will take the local games (OU and OSU games) and CW 12/19 will take the rest.

6 p.m. Thursday: OU vs. OSU (or ISU)
8:30 p.m. Friday OU vs. Mizzou (aTm?)

However, after that local coverage, ESPN will televise the championship game 5 p.m. Saturday.

soonerfan28
3/10/2009, 09:25 AM
So CW 12/19 will carry all the games starting with Neb/Baylor?

badger
3/10/2009, 09:36 AM
Basically (remember to Tulsa outsiders, that this is just TULSA and it might be different in your area!), yeah. CW is carry ALL men's games for the Big 12 tourney except for the ones that OU and OSU might potentially be involved in.

For those games, they are on Channel 2/9, with the exception of the championship game, which is on ESPN.

Can anyone confirm if all the women's games are on FSN?

8timechamps
3/10/2009, 11:39 AM
As best as I can tell, this is the ESPN scheduled games:

Thursday
11:30am quarterfinal game ESPN2/ESPN2hd
8:30pm quarterfinal game ESPN/ESPN2hd

Saturday
5:00pm Championship Game ESPN/ESPNhd

I looked through FSN and couldn't find a single listing for the mens tourney.

As for Denver, we get the first two games Wednesday, but (of course) not the last two.

8timechamps
3/10/2009, 11:40 AM
Can anyone confirm if all the women's games are on FSN?

Yes, they will cover the entire women's tourney.

nighttrain12
3/10/2009, 12:37 PM
Single session tickets for Men's tourney went on sale at Ticketmaster at 11:30am today. I had checked earlier today about 9am and they still didn't have a time listed or I would have posted it earlier. I'll be in the upper level on Thursday rooting the Sooners to victory!

cjames317
3/10/2009, 01:14 PM
I hope yOU locals all show up and give OUr teams a seriOUs home cOUrt advantage. Give the peckemheads a taste of their own medicine.

badger
3/10/2009, 01:30 PM
Joe C. should offer students the chance for free all-session tickets, so long as they attend all of the games.

Same concept as the student season tix, except this time, for Ford Center's Big 12 tourney :)

JLEW1818
3/10/2009, 01:35 PM
trying to figure out how to post this damn bracket

JLEW1818
3/10/2009, 01:39 PM
uhhhhhh. it won't take the damn thing as a photo. i'll bbl

badger
3/10/2009, 01:42 PM
I created a crappy bracket on the Bracket Challenge thread stickied at the top of the basketball thread. You can borrow that file if you want.

If it's a matter of posting your own bracket with all the winners in it, or a different blank bracket file, try tinypic.com

nighttrain12
3/10/2009, 03:02 PM
http://www.newsok.com/big-12-single-session-tickets-available/article/3352002?custom_click=headlines_widget

Big 12 single-session tickets available
FROM STAFF REPORTS
Published: March 10, 2009

A limited number of single-session tickets are now available for the Big 12 men's and women's basketball tournaments.

Men's tickets are available at the Ford Center box office and through all Ticketmaster outlets. Prices are $40, $50 and $55.

Women's tickets are available at the Cox Convention Center and through Ticketmaster outlets. Prices are $15 and $20.

On game days, fans can purchase tickets at the box office beginning at 9:30 a.m. until halftime of the last scheduled contest.

All-session tickets for both tournaments previously were made available and also remain on sale.

The women's tournament has sold a record 9,500 all-session tickets.

Tickets are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Cash and credit cards are the only accepted forms of payment.

Reno Avenue is closed between the Ford Center and Cox Convention Center and fans are asked to park at the city owned garages located nearby.

badger
3/12/2009, 10:04 AM
My wimmen's bwacket:
http://i43.tinypic.com/29nhsw3.jpg
You can check out a blank bracket with times and such here (http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/championships/pdfs/2009_wbasketball_bracket.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=10410) via the Big 12 site.

soonerfan28
3/12/2009, 10:18 AM
I didn't realize that we had so many ranked teams in the womens Big XII.

badger
3/12/2009, 10:28 AM
I didn't realize that we had so many ranked teams in the womens Big XII.

For OU to be ranked No. 1 in the Big 12 women's tournament with so many quality teams (FILLED WITH THUGS in some cases!!!!) is quite an accomplishment this year. For the record, half of the conference is ranked right now.

NormanPride
3/12/2009, 11:37 AM
Is Andrea Riley still playing for OSU? I thought she punched a trainer or something.

badger
3/12/2009, 01:33 PM
I don't care if my mockery Big 12 men's bracket is gone now... THANK YOU, BAYLOR!

That good old Baylor line!
That good old Baylor line!
Kansas just lost to da bears,
cuz Baylor's stars doth shine.
They flung their green and gold afar
to crush the 'hawks this time,
Sooners don't have to play the 'hawks;
Thanks to you, ol' Baylor line!

Yay, Bears!

NormanPride
3/12/2009, 01:37 PM
You're going to be singing that all night, and it's going to drive me insane. How many school fight songs do you know the first 5 words to?

badger
3/12/2009, 01:40 PM
You're going to be singing that all night, and it's going to drive me insane. How many school fight songs do you know the first 5 words to?

Actually, I confess that I google the lyrics, but after mocking virtually every school song in the Big 12 I know quite a few :O

Don't worry, I'm quite focused on the OU game tonight. This just was a stunner for those expecting "big 12 regular season champion" Kansas to do something in the Big 12 tourney.

Also, to be fair to Self, he doesn't always choke in the postseason. He did slightly all right, so-so... OK... moderately well in last year's NCAA's.

NormanPride
3/12/2009, 01:55 PM
This just adds fuel to my argument that there should BE no "regular season champion" in anything basketball. It's a title completely fabricated to placate the whiny Kansas fans that bemoan the fact they, once again, choked in the conference tourney and someone else won it.

nighttrain12
3/12/2009, 11:18 PM
Does that mean OU didn't finish 2nd in the conference? They'll be going to the NCAA tournament, obviously based on their regular season, not Big-12 post season tournament.

ouflak
3/13/2009, 01:33 AM
This was a golden opportunity to say the least. Practically a 'home' tournament and the only higher seed knocked out. Too bad really.