PDA

View Full Version : Get your tofu on

Chuck Bao
3/7/2009, 07:44 PM
Food for thought in a very bad economy.

I was in my neighborhood 7-Eleven, making my whiskey and diet coke and cigarette run yesterday and noticed this stuff for the first time and bought five tubes of it. Yeah, I buy most of my dietary requirement at the local 7-Eleven.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/eggtofu.jpg

I cut one tube into blocks and put it into a Campbell’s cream of chicken and mushroom soup for lunch yesterday and it was good. Campbell’s soup is like my main food source and I add fresh veggies, instant noodles, flour dumplings, etc. and now egg tofu.

This wikipedia site about tofu is a bit off-putting, but scroll down to the flavored and savory part. That’s what I’m talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu

Savory: Egg tofu (Japanese: 玉子豆腐, 卵豆腐, tamagodōfu) (Chinese: 蛋豆腐, dàn dòufǔ; often called 日本豆腐, rìbĕn dòufǔ, lit. "Japan bean curd") is the main type of savory flavored tofu. Whole beaten eggs are filtered and incorporated into the soy milk before the coagulant is added. The mixture is filled into tube shaped plastic bags and allowed to curdle. The tofu is then cooked in its packaging and sold. Egg tofu has a pale golden color that can be attributed to the addition of egg and, occasionally, food coloring. This tofu has a fuller texture and flavor than silken tofu, which can be attributed to the presence of egg fat and protein.

Since I like fried tofu, I again chopped one tube into blocks and fried it with some spicy fermented sausage (also purchased at 7-Eleven). That worked out pretty well.

It also means that I can now make one of my favorite dishes – spicy Sichuan-style tofu pork – like pork chili with tofu.

Anyone else into 7-Eleven tofu tubes?

olevetonahill
3/7/2009, 07:50 PM
I aint seen a 7-11 in years .
I think they all went to Asia :D

Chuck Bao
3/7/2009, 07:59 PM

That's weird. They are literally all over Asia and wasn't 7-Eleven once owned by a Dallas-based company - Southland Corp or something like that. Maybe they just figured out to license the product to Asia and get their fortune that way. Anyway, somebody made off like a bandit.

Oh, they also have the Slurpee machines in the stores in Asia and the Big Gulp. I so want one every time I'm there.

olevetonahill
3/7/2009, 08:16 PM
Must Resist , I MUST resist :D :P

KC//CRIMSON
3/7/2009, 08:32 PM
You have a *hitload of sodium in your diet.

Chuck Bao
3/7/2009, 08:57 PM
You have a *hitload of sodium in your diet.

That is probably true and I never put salt on anything and I guess I don't have to.

Instead of a tufu thread, I should have started one on my newly discovered talents at frying flour tortillas and filling the taco shaped tortilla shell with ice cream and monkey bananas.

AlbqSooner
3/8/2009, 07:46 AM
You can eat Campbells soup if you like, but DO NOT read the label on Sodium Content.

Crucifax Autumn
3/9/2009, 01:18 AM

Wrong...

They all came to Vegas...right there's one across the street and a few blocks down there's another. Halfway between here and Nellis AFB on Nellis there are 2 across the street from each other. I think there are probably about 40 withing a 3-4 mile radius of here.

Oddly most of them have regular white people working there and maybe like 30% black people. Not an Asian or Indian in sight. I mean that toi dispell the stereotype, not as a racial thing.

Each one has their own resident tweaker weirdo and homeless person with 2 dogs as well.

Crucifax Autumn
3/9/2009, 01:19 AM
monkey bananas

I don't think I wanna know! lol