PDA

View Full Version : Cat Fish Filets

olevetonahill
3/7/2009, 02:44 PM
Ok im thinking of cookin some. But I dont want deep fried.
Some one give me an easy recipe. fer baking em or something Different .
Thanks

JohnnyMack
3/7/2009, 02:54 PM
Catfish is nasty. Carry on.

olevetonahill
3/7/2009, 03:03 PM

Dayum Libs :eek:

King Crimson
3/7/2009, 03:21 PM
put a slice of stick butter on each fillet, and squeeze a crap-ton of lemon juice and black pepper on it in a loose, closed thing of foil and put in oven at about 400 for 10 minutes. might through i a fresh herb of your choice, basil or sage.

or: small dice some tomatoes, red onions, chopped fresh mint, equal parts lemon juice and olive oil/salt pepper--maybe tarragon. put fillets in a baking dish with white wine in the broiler about 6 minutes, flip and add tomato mixture for about 3-4 more minutes.

VeeJay
3/7/2009, 03:37 PM
Which way the breeze blowing off da hill?

soonerinabilene
3/7/2009, 04:06 PM
rub with olive oil, sprinkle some cajun seasoning, fresh minced garlic, and lemon juice, and throw on the grill.

Chuck Bao
3/7/2009, 04:13 PM
Catfish doesn't need much seasoning because it is already pretty rich to the taste. No need to cut off the head, tail, just gutted and grilled. But I admit that I don't know what I'm saying because I normally buy mine already grilled on a stick.

VeeJay
3/7/2009, 04:18 PM
Eat it with salt and ketchup.

VeeJay
3/7/2009, 04:19 PM
I normally buy mine already grilled on a stick.

Chuck - that ain't catfish. ;)

Whet
3/7/2009, 04:26 PM
Oh my god! I think this is a first time event! :eek:

I agree with JohnnyMack!!

Catfish are bottom feeders, so it is important that you only keep and eat the smaller fish. The larger fish are older, so they have more time to bioaccumulate chemicals they pick up from the bottom of the river/lake.

So, if you don't want to fry it, try baking it on the grill. Wrap it in Aluminum foil with some slices of onion/shallots, maybe some lemon or limes, then bake until flakey.

JohnnyMack
3/7/2009, 04:33 PM
put a slice of stick butter on each fillet, and squeeze a crap-ton of lemon juice and black pepper on it in a loose, closed thing of foil and put in oven at about 400 for 10 minutes. might through i a fresh herb of your choice, basil or sage.

or: small dice some tomatoes, red onions, chopped fresh mint, equal parts lemon juice and olive oil/salt pepper--maybe tarragon. put fillets in a baking dish with white wine in the broiler about 6 minutes, flip and add tomato mixture for about 3-4 more minutes.

I know what fresh herb you have in mind OV and that's not what he was talking about.

Chuck Bao
3/7/2009, 04:46 PM
I know what fresh herb you have in mind OV and that's not what he was talking about.

But you can make catfish soup with those fresh herbs, Cambodian style.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/7/2009, 05:15 PM
But I dont want deep fried.

Communist.

salth2o
3/7/2009, 08:03 PM
Dude, just fry it. That is the American way.

Penguin
3/7/2009, 08:21 PM
I like to fry it up cut into nuggets. Cooking a whole filet dries it out too much for my taste.

olevetonahill
3/7/2009, 08:34 PM
My grill is rusted out and I aint bot a new one yet ,
So guess Ill just slice it up and Drop it in the Deep fryer .
Was wantin sompun a lil diff. this time .

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/7/2009, 09:32 PM

Catfish are bottom feeders, so it is important that you only keep and eat the smaller fish. The larger fish are older, so they have more time to bioaccumulate chemicals they pick up from the bottom of the river/lake.

So, if you don't want to fry it, try baking it on the grill. Wrap it in Aluminum foil with some slices of onion/shallots, maybe some lemon or limes, then bake until flakey.I don't know if t's safe to eat ANY fish from illinois waters, Whet.

With any fish, trim the dark meat on the outside next to the skin, along the lateral line. That removes most of the impurities, and the fish tastes a lot better, too.

3/7/2009, 09:40 PM
My grill is rusted out and I aint bot a new one yet ,
So guess Ill just slice it up and Drop it in the Deep fryer .
Was wantin sompun a lil diff. this time .Soak the fish in lime or lemon for 5 minutes on each side. Then, melt some butter in a fry pan, with garlic, salt and pepper, and Season-All or Tony Chacere's or whatever seasoning you like, then put the fillet into the pan, with medium high heat. Cook 3-5 minutes on a side, depending on the thickness of the meat. When it's opaque, it's cooked. A delicious, easy, fish cooking recipe.(I eat lots of fish. I fish down in the Gulf of California, and we catch a lot of fish)

AggieTool
3/7/2009, 09:44 PM
I once caught a catfish on a goat turd.

Haven't eaten one since.:mad:

Mjcpr
3/7/2009, 09:46 PM

Haven't eaten one since.:mad:

How do you reel a goat turd?

3/7/2009, 09:49 PM

Haven't eaten one since.:mad:I guess you're an aggy and all, but 1)what made you decide to fish with goat turds(and, did you lick your hands clean?)?...and
2)why were you eating goat turds before you caught a catfish with one of them?

KC//CRIMSON
3/7/2009, 10:15 PM
Well since you never said if they were self caught or farm raised, I'd go with King Crimson's recipe.

AggieTool
3/7/2009, 10:56 PM
I guess you're an aggy and all, but 1)what made you decide to fish with goat turds(and, did you lick your hands clean?)?...and
2)why were you eating goat turds before you caught a catfish with one of them?

1) I was five.

2) :confused: :confused:

3/8/2009, 12:04 PM

Haven't eaten one since.:mad:I read your defense of Obama in another thread. I understand, now.

olevetonahill
3/8/2009, 01:16 PM
Well since you never said if they were self caught or farm raised, I'd go with King Crimson's recipe.

This I have is Farm raised
I have some in the freezer thats been pond caught .:D

3/8/2009, 04:59 PM
This I have is Farm raised
I have some in the freezer thats been pond caught .:DGet some flatheads from a reasonably clean river. Best eating fish in fresh water, IMO.

Fraggle145
3/8/2009, 06:46 PM

So, if you don't want to fry it, try baking it on the grill. Wrap it in Aluminum foil with some slices of onion/shallots, maybe some lemon or limes, then bake until flakey.

All the stuff about them biaccumulating chemicals is true, but they arent just bottom feeders. They are active piscivores as well as scavengers. For example flathead catfish are voracious predators. If it has meat they will eat it. They accumulate the chemicals because they are long lived, dont have many predators on them except as juveniles, and they are at or near the top of the foodweb and accumulate everything from the prey they eat over long periods of time.

Just adding some details.

olevetonahill
3/8/2009, 07:49 PM
I just said **** it . and ate some Tuna/Dolphin :P

salth2o
3/8/2009, 08:05 PM
I just said **** it . and ate some Tuna/Dolphin :P

YUCK!!!!!!

3/8/2009, 11:03 PM
I just said **** it . and ate some Tuna/Dolphin :PI know tuna, and dolphin, and porpoise, but not tuna/dolphin. Splain, pls.

Crucifax Autumn
3/9/2009, 12:19 AM
First off, if it ain't fried it's just wrong...

Secondly, just eat channel-cat or be a ***** and have farm raised and it's good stuff.

And yeah, the bottom feader stuff is sorta true, but at the same time like has been said they do tend to also be predatory so if it's a pretty clean or moving water source it's not so bad. They truly aren't just bottom feeders or I wouldn't have caught so many channel and blue cat close to the surface on live perch.

3/9/2009, 01:28 AM
Hey, trout are omnivores, like catfish, and look at how revered trout are. As long as what they eat converts to protein in the form of fish flesh, WGAS?

Crucifax Autumn
3/9/2009, 01:42 AM
Precicely! and fry the shat outta the damn things...then ya pass those bad chemicals everyone's been talkin' about in short order!

Fraggle145
3/9/2009, 05:00 AM
Well "most" salmonids like trout dont get that big to accumulate the chemicals. However they can. Most of them especially rainbow trout arent piscivorous, except if you get a really really big hog. Its when you add in that next trophic level of food fish that things really start to accumulate. Because they just dont eat enough of em to get that many chemicals. Unfortunately though even frying em cant get rid of some of that shat, like PCBs, Mercury, etc...