PDA

View Full Version : If you play the spread, the following could save you a lot of money.

AimForCenterMass
3/5/2009, 09:17 PM
After conducting a search of the forums to ensure I wasn't copying a previous thread, I realized others share the same sentiment regarding The Fat Jack Sports Service. The few posts I skimmed lacked adoration for the Fat Jack, due either to his inability to win or his pestering advertisements. Just as I researched the forums to render certain I wasn't duplicating a thread, I explored the W/L statistics for The Fat Jack Sports Service. The following are his numbers for last year:

Sport--------W-----------L----------Percentage
NFL----------48----------43----------52.75%
NCAAF-------83----------56----------59.71%
NBA----------28----------26----------51.85%
NCAAB-------90----------105---------46.15%
MLB----------0------------0-----------0.00%
NHL----------0------------0-----------0.00%

The Fat Jack's overall average: 51.81%

source: www.trackpicks.com

A friend of mine recently purchased The Fat Jack's NCAAB package and wanted a few friends and me to go in on it to lessen to cost. While I gamble a little on NCAAF, I don't play the spread for any other sport. Additionally, I do pretty well for myself betting what little I do. Simply because of this, I refused to split the costs of a service I wouldn't use. However, my friend insisted this guy was a winner, which led me to conduct a little research. The above are his statistics covering the last year, and they don't look promising. So, after paying several hundred dollars, my buddy is using a handicapper who is 1.81% above even. After gaining a less than 2% advantage, he'll pay the juice, which will put him in the hole quite a bit. As many of you are probably aware, The Fat Jack Sports Service is a ripoff, despite the accolades he receives on The Sports Animal.

For those of you who play the spread, I wish you the best of luck on the upcoming seasons.

Penguin
3/5/2009, 09:53 PM
Well, at least this is better than another political thread.

Frozen Sooner
3/5/2009, 09:56 PM
Bannination.

Spam is not allowed here per the TOS.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2009, 09:08 AM
*confused*

that didn't seem like spam to me. but what do I know?

yermom
3/6/2009, 09:14 AM
i've heard rumblings that The Fat Jack gives different people different picks

but if the picks are above .500 then if you bet big enough you should be able to make your money back, right?

OU4LIFE
3/6/2009, 10:08 AM
one of the first rules of spam club is you don't ask questions of spam.

yermom
3/6/2009, 10:51 AM
but yeah, Fat Jack needs better shills if that was spam :D

OUDoc
3/6/2009, 11:04 AM
It was hate spam. ;)

tommieharris91
3/6/2009, 11:16 AM
i've heard rumblings that The Fat Jack gives different people different picks

but if the picks are above .500 then if you bet big enough you should be able to make your money back, right?

Nope, you gotta be closer to 60% to make money picking games because of the juice.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2009, 03:01 PM
Sorry, I made a mistake based on a cursory reading. AimForCenterMass' ban has been lifted.

King Crimson
3/6/2009, 03:16 PM
there's a radio guy in Denver, Joe Williams who is called "the handicapper". i used to think i could bet college sports. I kept track of Joe's picks for 2 seasons. and he was under 45% against the spread. about 41.6% i was about 50%, really right on the number.

edit: back in the old days of sports talk radio, you had guys like Bob Kemp and Mark Johnson who used to handicap games for major sports books in Vegas. and they would tell you NEVER to bet.

Chuck Bao
3/6/2009, 04:10 PM
I average exactly 50% as well, going back before the internet and I had to get the odds from the weekend edition of USA Today. Basically, it is like flipping a coin, which says that the Vegas oddsmakers are a way whole other league ahead of me or why I shouldn't bet on sports. I already lose enough in the stock market and I'm "supposedly" an expert.