PDA

View Full Version : Hey Sic’em, ever consider working in a palace?

Chuck Bao
3/5/2009, 04:27 PM
You like history, don’t you? How about living in a palace for a year?

This year’s selection is probably already over and you need to graduate first. Maybe, consider it for next year.

It is a pretty cool see-the-world gig for a fresh graduate, especially with the current job situation. Baylor, apparently, works hard to arrange these types of deals. I initially came to Asia on a one-year teaching fellowship at Hong Kong Baptist University arranged by Baylor.

On second thought, I’m not so sure I would want you teaching the future king of Thailand.

I got this from the New Mandala website. I have to admit that I did snicker at the one comment describing Baylor as “some happy clapper family school in Waco, Texas”.

http://rspas.anu.edu.au/rmap/newmandala/2009/03/05/positions-teaching-the-future-king-of-thailand/#comments

Positions teaching “the future king of Thailand”
March 5th, 2009 by Nicholas Farrelly

Recently I stumbled across these job opportunities at Chitralada Palace School. They are only available to graduates of Baylor University.

The basic thrust is that:

…interviews for eleven positions, including two teaching the future king of Thailand, began Monday and will continue through Wednesday….two palace employment opportunities are offered to Baylor graduates who want to teach English to the pre-kindergarten class of the 3-year-old son of the future King of Thailand, Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkor at Chitralada Palace School beginning late May…Additionally, there are nine openings for graduates to teach English in three royal schools in Bangkok, Thailand starting in May: Chitralada Palace School, Wattana Presbyterian School, and Rajini Bon School.

More info is in the online Lariat website.

http://www.baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?action=story&story=56547

Vaevictis
3/5/2009, 04:52 PM
It says, "only available to graduates of Baylor."

Sic'Em isn't qualified.

yermom
3/5/2009, 05:06 PM
i'm not sure if this has been asked before, but how on earth did you end up at Baylor?

Frozen Sooner
3/5/2009, 05:16 PM
You know, when I clicked on this thread I woulda bet any amount someone cared to name that this had something to do with eunuchs.

Vaevictis
3/5/2009, 05:17 PM
You know, when I clicked on this thread I woulda bet any amount someone cared to name that this had something to do with eunuchs.

... what makes you think it doesn't?

Chuck Bao
3/5/2009, 05:42 PM
i'm not sure if this has been asked before, but how on earth did you end up at Baylor?

Are you asking Sic'em or me?

For me, the choice was easy. After graduating from Southeastern, I had three main choices - OU, SMU or Baylor. Baylor's MBA program was the only one-year program with someone with with the undergraduate requirements. It was, at that time, the cheapest private university in the US. I guess they still had the Baptist dollar donation pipeline at that time before all of the scandals and SBC schisms. Don't tell my boss that I got an advanced degree the quick and cheap way.

Also, the football team wasn't so bad then. We had Cody Carlson as QB and he was pretty darn good. My dorm roommate at Southeastern was the third string punter at Baylor before he was kicked off the team and kicked out of Baylor. So, we'd go down for the Baylor games and he introduced me to some not so Baptist fun in Waco.

Oh, who said that they hold it against job applicants for getting their advanced degree immediately after the undergraduate? I agree.

olevetonahill
3/5/2009, 06:21 PM
Hes already working
http://members.tripod.com/Parties_by_Stacey/jester.jpg

Chuck Bao
3/5/2009, 06:32 PM
Hes already working
http://members.tripod.com/Parties_by_Stacey/jester.jpg

Why do you hate on the English?

olevetonahill
3/5/2009, 06:38 PM
Why do you hate on the English?

Jes sayin Sicems already workin in a palace :P

A Sooner in Texas
3/5/2009, 09:58 PM
SicEm could pack up his Confederate hoop skirts and dance and sing with the King in the palace. ;)